Start by marking “Chief Joseph: Guardian of the People” as Want to Read:
Chief Joseph: Guardian of the People

Chief Joseph: Guardian of the People

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The Nez Percé people lived in peace with white intruders in their homelands from the time of Lewis & Clark until 1863 when a treaty called for the tribe's removal to a reservation in Idaho. Chief Joseph (1840-1904), headman of the Nez Percé band in northeastern Oregon's Wallowa Valley, became the greatest diplomat, philosopher, and--from necessity rather than choice--w ...more
Published June 27th 2006 by Forge Books (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Chief Joseph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chief Joseph

Troy
My one-phrase rundown: an amazingly well-researched account of a sad chapter in a sad era of American history

If one is not familiar with the story of the Wallowa Band of Nez Perce, especially their flight of 1877, this book is a great introduction. Moulton’s book was well-received by some Nez Perce, and let’s face it, it’s a lot shorter than Greene’s Nez Perce Summer.

I have been to several Nez Perce Trail historical sites, and done my share of reading. I once entertained the though of violating
Ellie
I find it generally frustrating how little is known about Nez Perces of this era. I can find the perspective of thousands of white people who kept journals and wrote letters and published articles.
I also have found it frustrating before that some of what I have read about Chief Joseph has been taken almost entirely from white military.
This author did a fabulous job of researching to find statements from natives. She explains tribal traditions and perspectives beautifully.
I was, however, wishi
Ndecamp
I picked up this book earlier this summer while in Yellowstone. I was interested in the story of the Nez Percesers tribe since there were so many markers and historic points in the north west of this tribe and Chief Joseph's leadership. Very interesting and yet sad. I find history very interesting and revealing.
Mike
Mar 02, 2009 Mike rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens etc interested in cheif joseph.
Shelves: history
I thought this book was going to be terrible. I wanted to know more about Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce but didn't have a lot of time to invest in one of the more academic titles on the subject. I was happily surprised.

Despite being written in novel form the author did her research. Beyond a few schmaltzy, segments she hones a pretty decent read. Chief Joseph's flight from federal troops is an important, but understudied, piece of American and Oregonian history. Moulton gives you a decent ideas
Monique
Loved it! Great history but extremely sad hoe their people were treated. Shame on us.
Tommy /|\

Sadly - this is a part of US History that I never learned. Growing up, this particular area of History was glossed over in both High School and College. Reading about the flight of the Nez Perce and the manner in which treaty after treaty is disregarded by the US government...I can certainly see why that is the case now. The book is not that long -- but the story is extremely compelling. Highly recommend.
Mira
Mira marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Deana
Deana marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Mike Zirbel
Mike Zirbel marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Mida Shahab
Mida Shahab marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Pappy
Pappy marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2012
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2012
Pd
Pd marked it as to-read
May 08, 2012
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2012
Kathie
Kathie marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2011
Laurie
Laurie added it
Aug 03, 2011
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2011
The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the Wild West: 1840 to 1900 Everyday Life in the Wild West Roadside History of Wyoming Everyday Life Among the American Indians Roadside History Of Nebraska