Start by marking “Chief Joseph: Guardian of the People” as Want to Read:
Chief Joseph: Guardian of the People

Chief Joseph: Guardian of the People

The Nez Percé people lived in peace with white intruders in their homelands from the time of Lewis & Clark until 1863 when a treaty called for the tribe's removal to a reservation in Idaho. Chief Joseph (1840-1904), headman of the Nez Percé band in northeastern Oregon's Wallowa Valley, became the greatest diplomat, philosopher, and-from necessity rather than choice-war ...more
Published June 27th 2006 by Forge Books (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Chief Joseph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chief Joseph

Troy
Apr 19, 2009 Troy rated it really liked it
My one-phrase rundown: an amazingly well-researched account of a sad chapter in a sad era of American history

If one is not familiar with the story of the Wallowa Band of Nez Perce, especially their flight of 1877, this book is a great introduction. Moulton’s book was well-received by some Nez Perce, and let’s face it, it’s a lot shorter than Greene’s Nez Perce Summer.

I have been to several Nez Perce Trail historical sites, and done my share of reading. I once entertained the though of violating
Ellie
Sep 12, 2012 Ellie rated it really liked it
I find it generally frustrating how little is known about Nez Perces of this era. I can find the perspective of thousands of white people who kept journals and wrote letters and published articles.
I also have found it frustrating before that some of what I have read about Chief Joseph has been taken almost entirely from white military.
This author did a fabulous job of researching to find statements from natives. She explains tribal traditions and perspectives beautifully.
I was, however, wishi
George
Jan 24, 2015 George rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
Reading about the flight of the Nez Perce and the disregard of treaty by the US government, one begins to understand the plight of the Nez Perce Wallowa band and by extension, the extant Indian culture before Manifest Destiny. The book is short and well researched--the story is extremely compelling. Moulton describes in some excruciating detail about place names, battles fought...maybe one might want to visit those places? I got the book, looking for more developed characters; Joseph was a ...more
Mike
Mar 02, 2009 Mike rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teens etc interested in cheif joseph.
Shelves: history
I thought this book was going to be terrible. I wanted to know more about Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce but didn't have a lot of time to invest in one of the more academic titles on the subject. I was happily surprised.

Despite being written in novel form the author did her research. Beyond a few schmaltzy, segments she hones a pretty decent read. Chief Joseph's flight from federal troops is an important, but understudied, piece of American and Oregonian history. Moulton gives you a decent ideas
Tommy /|\
Jul 03, 2013 Tommy /|\ rated it it was amazing

Sadly - this is a part of US History that I never learned. Growing up, this particular area of History was glossed over in both High School and College. Reading about the flight of the Nez Perce and the manner in which treaty after treaty is disregarded by the US government...I can certainly see why that is the case now. The book is not that long -- but the story is extremely compelling. Highly recommend.
Ndecamp
Oct 26, 2014 Ndecamp rated it liked it
I picked up this book earlier this summer while in Yellowstone. I was interested in the story of the Nez Percesers tribe since there were so many markers and historic points in the north west of this tribe and Chief Joseph's leadership. Very interesting and yet sad. I find history very interesting and revealing.
Aeila Marsha
May 20, 2015 Aeila Marsha rated it really liked it
The book was interesting and extremely informative, but I gave it only four stars because it was a little boring for my style.
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2010
Cheyenne DeBorde
Cheyenne DeBorde rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Colson
Colson rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2013
Shawn
Shawn rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2011
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2010
Ember August
Ember August rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2014
Thomas Conklin
Thomas Conklin rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Douglas
Douglas rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Harriet Mullaney
Harriet Mullaney rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Scott Daugherty
Scott Daugherty rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2014
Betty
Betty rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Monique
Feb 13, 2014 Monique rated it really liked it
Loved it! Great history but extremely sad hoe their people were treated. Shame on us.
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Adrianna Rivera
Adrianna Rivera rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Ginni Cook
Ginni Cook rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2011
Karenmort Mort
Karenmort Mort rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2009
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2016
Vernon
Vernon rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2012
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2009
Marlene Smith
Marlene Smith rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2015
Anniegal
Anniegal rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Eric Bailey
Eric Bailey rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2007
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2008
Atreyu
Atreyu is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2009
Laura added it
Oct 31, 2010
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2011
Laurie
Laurie added it
Aug 03, 2011
Kathie
Kathie marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2011
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2012
Pd
Pd marked it as to-read
May 08, 2012
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2012
Pappy
Pappy marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Omida  Shahab
Omida Shahab marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Mike Zirbel
Mike Zirbel marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Deana
Deana marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Mira
Mira marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Benjamin Grussi
Benjamin Grussi marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015