Start by marking “Love Is a Verb: Stories of What Happens When Love Comes Alive” as Want to Read:
Love Is a Verb: Stories of What Happens When Love Comes Alive

Love Is a Verb: Stories of What Happens When Love Comes Alive

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Dr. Gary Chapman has spent his life helping people communicate love more effectively and in turn build more satisfying and lasting relationships. His book The Five Love Languages is a regular on the New York Times bestsellers list--even after being in print for fifteen years--and has made the term "love language" a part of everyday speech. Love Is a Verb takes his teaching ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by Bethany House Publishers (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Love Is a Verb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Is a Verb

Tawny
Favorite lines:
1. "Somehow love is flexible and strong enough to step up to the challenges it faces. When we encounter distressing situations love has a deep reservoir we may not see but we can still draw from" (30).
2. "That is the power of compromise inspired by love: When we give and take, the unbelievable becomes possible and even enjoyable" (49).
3. "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves" (59).
4. "Love's lessons are never over, nor are we
Lorra Metko
If you like the Chicken Soup for the Soul books, or reading those Readers' Digest stories, you may enjoy this book. The book began with "love" in a variety of settings, but about halfway through became only about marital love. I started to tire of the "rekindle the love" stories. This is one to keep in the bathroom to read from time to time; it's not a "read it from cover to cover" sort of book.
Karen
The book is comprised of personal stories. They mostly start with "woe is me" and end with acceptance that people, and relationships, are imperfect. Most unbelievable to me was an entire story about a couple who had issues with how each other loaded the dishwasher. For real? I'd be happy to simply HAVE a dishwasher.
Danielle
I forced myself to finish this book. I wish I could say I learned something, felt inspired, or encouraged, but all I was left with was the knowledge that relationships are hard everywhere and on everyone. Not really a "feel good" book.
Stormie Steele
Gary Chapman's "Love is a Verb" - is a rich example of the stories that reside in each one of us. This book is a collection of various "love evoking encounters" - presented uniquely through the eyes of those whose experiences were ignited by moments of insight - gained by touching or being touched by others.

Love is a verb is a reminder, every encounter - expected or unexpected, familiar or unfamiliar - holds a life bearing seed worthy of our investment...of our time.

~Storm Steele

Love is a Verb: Stories of What Happens When Love Comes AliveLove is a Verb
Mark
a book full of stories about love. If you love the "chicken soup for the christian soul" genre you'll LOVE this... ps i OWN ZERO chicken soup books
Kathy
A feel good book with too much God language in it for my taste.
Mom
Dr. Gary Chapman has spent his life helping people communicate love more effectively and in turn build more satisfying and lasting relationships. His book The Five Love Languages is a regular on the New York Times Best Sellers list--even after being in print for fifteen years--and has made the term "love language" a part of everyday speech.

Love Is a Verb takes his teaching to the next level. Rather than a typical marriage self-help book filled with lengthy explanations of principles and techniqu
Karine
Easy read full of short inspiring stories. I found some of them to be challenging for my own life. This book gives real-life examples of what 'loving in action' really means. More of an 'inspirational book' than an 'teaching or answer book'.
Clockstein Lockstein
Love is a Verb by Gary Chapman is subtitled Stories of What Happens When Love Comes Alive, and this book is full of love! In a format similar to the Chicken Soup for the Soul books, Chapman has collected several stories about how the power of love has completely transformed lives. Marriages reborn, children who teach about the true meaning of love, and love even through illness, every story is an illustration about how God uses other people to teach us how to love and how He loves us. After each ...more
Svea
This book was very inspiring and I would recommend it to everyone. I don't think people realize what love really is until they are faced with a situation that challenges them and their entire life.
Erin Connor
amazing, heartfelt.Moves you in more ways than expected, tears, laughter...but speaks directly to your heart.Well worth the read, in fact, one I'll read many times over.
Brad
This book contained nice, anecdotal short stories that demonstrated--yep, you guessed it--love, but they didn't engage me for long. I made it through 3 or 4 of the short stories before I gave up. While the stories were undoubtedly true and admittedly inspirational at times, the fact that they were read by (oh yeah, this was the audio book format I “read”) professional actors took a way a bit from the authenticity. For non-fiction like this, I think I’d prefer to hear it read by the author. If I ...more
Kritika
Many Beautiful quotes are there in this book which touched my heart.. I couldn't stop myself from underlining them
Christina
I truly appreciated this collection of stories. This book is proof that, if you let it, love wins. It takes really living love to get there, especially in situations when it's not easy to do so. These contributors clearly put their hearts into sharing their stories. I'm sure that many folks who read this book will find writers to relate to. Dr. Chapman does sum up each story with his own thoughts; I would have loved to have heard more of his voice, but the short stories made this a quick, enjoya ...more
Dennis Raffaelli
The various testimonies contained in this book show the power of putting action to your words of love.
Debi
I loved all testifies and think there is a lot of years of experience & wisdom. I read the 5 languages of love an it truly made a difference in my life, both in the relationship with my husband and with my son, and it was for that reason I picked this one up. What I hadn't expected, and didn't enjoy, was the strong biblical theme running through this book. I will think again before I pick up another of his books.
Shannon
I bought this book because it was $1.99. It's like a Chicken Soup for the Soul type book with touchy, feely stories all around. However, it just feels like all the stories are shortened and rushed to cram as many as possible in this book. Perhaps it is the desire to reach a wider audience with varying experiences? I did find a couple very relate-able stories so that may indeed be the case.
Barakiel
Read this if you like to cry.
Brian Eshleman
Stories in the individual voices of the writers who experienced them are inspiring, although there is a certain predictability to having them in this collection. Chapman summarizing in counselor-speak what these authors have just said in their own way is actually annoying. Sometimes the moral of the story does, and should, tell itself.

Jóvan
If you're looking for lovey-dovey fairytales, you wouldn't find them here; instead, you will find stories that are so easy to relate to, that you will be very open to each individual's lessons learnt.
Full of practical relevant advice at the end of each story, this was well-appreciated, and well-received. My only qualm was that it ended!

Good buy.
Chocoholic
Lots of good reminders about how we have control over what we do in our relationships--for good or bad. I prefer The Five Love Languages for learning about love, but this was a good reminder of how to use that information and apply it. Love is an action word, not something that passively happens. These stories were all good reminders.
Alana
Oct 18, 2013 Alana added it
The practice of story telling is timeless and potent. It is said that a wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others. I hope that I should be the latter man through reading and gaining insight into the mistakes of others and by learning how all things are conquered by love.
Merry Trisnawati
you don't need to fall with love.for it is not a place or any circumstance.it's a verb.do the love.it won't hurt you. people that the one hurt you...not love.so if you have heartache that is caused by love, trust me, it isn't the love. for the love is kind, patient, not envy.
Marian Hood
There are some interesting personal stories here. One that sticks is about a woman who had an emotionally disturbed acquaintance dropped off at her door. Gary Chapman comments on each story and relates most of them to a biblical passage - a bit too preachy for me.
Danni
This book is set up a lot like chicken soup for the soul. I really liked it the stories were inspirational. They talked about people who loved when it was hard. I wasn't what I was expecting when I picked it up, but I was happy I read it.
Rich
Great stories from folks who have experienced the highs and lows of what love truly is. The commentary on each story is okay, but the stories are the main attraction for me. They were inspirational without any need for commentary.
Melissa J. Grom, MA
This book has put the right perspective about Love in the minds of all the readers. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a great example of what Love truly is. Love tends to show up in the oddest ways.
Sandra
A pretty good read that has a lot of different stories involving love with author comments at the end of each story.

A little too cutesy for my tastes, but a good reminder that love flourishes everywhere.
Lynda
I'm big on audio books due to my commute. I truly enjoyed this book. Like that the stories are short but inspiring. Makes you realized that love is all around you just of have embrace it.
  • Kiss Me Like You Mean It: Solomon's Crazy in Love How-To Manual
  • Love Is A Flame: Stories of What Happens When Love Is Rekindled
  • Creating an Intimate Marriage: Rekindle Romance Through Affection, Warmth and Encouragement
  • Becoming Your Spouse's Better Half: Why Differences Make a Marriage Great
  • I Promise: How 5 Essential Commitments Determine the Destiny of Your Marriage
  • The Soulmate Experience: A Practical Guide to Creating Extraordinary Relationships
  • Fit to Be Tied: Making Marriage Last a Lifetime
  • Have a New Husband by Friday
  • 52 Things Kids Need from a Mom: What Mothers Can Do to Make a Lifelong Difference
  • 40 Unforgettable Dates with Your Mate: Creative Ways to Meet the Love Needs of Husbands and Wives
  • Ten Lessons to Transform Your Marriage: America's Love Lab Experts Share Their Strategies for Strengthening Your Relationship
  • Game on: Find Your Purpose--Pursue Your Dream
  • Rex and the City: A Memoir of a Woman, a Man and the Rescue Dog Who Rescued Their Relationship
  • The One Year Devotions for Couples
  • The Art of Zen Meditation
  • Rescue the Captors
  • Before You Say "I Do"
  • Intimate Allies
Gary Chapman has traveled extensively around the world challenging couples to pursue healthy, growing marriages. His first book, Toward a Growing Marriage (Moody, 1979, 1996), began as an informal resource he gave to couples with whom he was counseling. Once officially published, this book became a blessing to thousands of people and helped launch Gary’s popular “Toward a Growing Marriage” seminar ...more
More about Gary Chapman...
The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate The Five Love Languages of Children The Heart of the 5 Love Languages (Abridged Gift-Sized Version) The Five Love Languages for Singles Things I Wish I'd Known Before We Got Married

“I've seen too many people give up on love too fast. Walking away from relationships doesn't provide the hoped-for relief, bring solutions, or simplify life. Rather, it piles on more problems through the lingering resentment and finger-pointing.” 0 likes
“love has to be more than something we feel. It has to be something we do. We have to demonstrate it concretely in our marriage, our family, among our friends and acquaintances, and, yes, even among our enemies.” 0 likes