Start by marking “Love Is a Verb: Stories of What Happens When Love Comes Alive” as Want to Read:
Love Is a Verb: Stories of What Happens When Love Comes Alive

Love Is a Verb: Stories of What Happens When Love Comes Alive

Dr. Gary Chapman has spent his life helping people communicate love more effectively and in turn build more satisfying and lasting relationships. His book The Five Love Languages is a regular on the New York Times bestsellers list--even after being in print for fifteen years--and has made the term "love language" a part of everyday speech. Love Is a Verb takes his teaching ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by Bethany House Publishers (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Love Is a Verb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Is a Verb

Tawny
May 16, 2013 Tawny rated it really liked it
Favorite lines:
1. "Somehow love is flexible and strong enough to step up to the challenges it faces. When we encounter distressing situations love has a deep reservoir we may not see but we can still draw from" (30).
2. "That is the power of compromise inspired by love: When we give and take, the unbelievable becomes possible and even enjoyable" (49).
3. "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves" (59).
4. "Love's lessons are never over, nor are we
Lorra Metko
Mar 19, 2010 Lorra Metko rated it liked it
If you like the Chicken Soup for the Soul books, or reading those Readers' Digest stories, you may enjoy this book. The book began with "love" in a variety of settings, but about halfway through became only about marital love. I started to tire of the "rekindle the love" stories. This is one to keep in the bathroom to read from time to time; it's not a "read it from cover to cover" sort of book.
Karen
Oct 04, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok
The book is comprised of personal stories. They mostly start with "woe is me" and end with acceptance that people, and relationships, are imperfect. Most unbelievable to me was an entire story about a couple who had issues with how each other loaded the dishwasher. For real? I'd be happy to simply HAVE a dishwasher.
Danielle
I forced myself to finish this book. I wish I could say I learned something, felt inspired, or encouraged, but all I was left with was the knowledge that relationships are hard everywhere and on everyone. Not really a "feel good" book.
Kathy
Nov 13, 2012 Kathy rated it did not like it
A feel good book with too much God language in it for my taste.
Mark
Oct 28, 2010 Mark rated it it was ok
Shelves: christianity
a book full of stories about love. If you love the "chicken soup for the christian soul" genre you'll LOVE this... ps i OWN ZERO chicken soup books
Stormie Steele
Jan 08, 2014 Stormie Steele rated it really liked it
Gary Chapman's "Love is a Verb" - is a rich example of the stories that reside in each one of us. This book is a collection of various "love evoking encounters" - presented uniquely through the eyes of those whose experiences were ignited by moments of insight - gained by touching or being touched by others.

Love is a verb is a reminder, every encounter - expected or unexpected, familiar or unfamiliar - holds a life bearing seed worthy of our investment...of our time.

~Storm Steele

Love is a Verb: Stories of What Happens When Love Comes AliveLove is a Verb
Mom
Sep 13, 2009 Mom rated it it was amazing
Dr. Gary Chapman has spent his life helping people communicate love more effectively and in turn build more satisfying and lasting relationships. His book The Five Love Languages is a regular on the New York Times Best Sellers list--even after being in print for fifteen years--and has made the term "love language" a part of everyday speech.

Love Is a Verb takes his teaching to the next level. Rather than a typical marriage self-help book filled with lengthy explanations of principles and techniqu
Christy Lockstein
May 08, 2009 Christy Lockstein rated it really liked it
Love is a Verb by Gary Chapman is subtitled Stories of What Happens When Love Comes Alive, and this book is full of love! In a format similar to the Chicken Soup for the Soul books, Chapman has collected several stories about how the power of love has completely transformed lives. Marriages reborn, children who teach about the true meaning of love, and love even through illness, every story is an illustration about how God uses other people to teach us how to love and how He loves us. After each ...more
Brad
Oct 11, 2010 Brad rated it it was ok
This book contained nice, anecdotal short stories that demonstrated--yep, you guessed it--love, but they didn't engage me for long. I made it through 3 or 4 of the short stories before I gave up. While the stories were undoubtedly true and admittedly inspirational at times, the fact that they were read by (oh yeah, this was the audio book format I “read”) professional actors took a way a bit from the authenticity. For non-fiction like this, I think I’d prefer to hear it read by the author. If I ...more
Christina
Jul 22, 2013 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-book-list
I truly appreciated this collection of stories. This book is proof that, if you let it, love wins. It takes really living love to get there, especially in situations when it's not easy to do so. These contributors clearly put their hearts into sharing their stories. I'm sure that many folks who read this book will find writers to relate to. Dr. Chapman does sum up each story with his own thoughts; I would have loved to have heard more of his voice, but the short stories made this a quick, enjoya ...more
Albert
Jan 03, 2016 Albert rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
This is a daily devotional with the theme of love, a vignette written by a long list of various submitters of love they experienced in its various forms. As expected, most of the stories are maudlin and some of the messages trite, but there are a few scattered insightful gems that shed new nuance to the old concept of love. It reads like listening to random church members sharing their thoughts at a bible study.

2.5 stars, rounded down to 2 stars.
Debi
Jun 16, 2013 Debi rated it liked it
I loved all testifies and think there is a lot of years of experience & wisdom. I read the 5 languages of love an it truly made a difference in my life, both in the relationship with my husband and with my son, and it was for that reason I picked this one up. What I hadn't expected, and didn't enjoy, was the strong biblical theme running through this book. I will think again before I pick up another of his books.
Taryn
Aug 29, 2015 Taryn rated it really liked it
This book took me a while to get through, not because it isn't get its just not a book I'm normally drawn to. It's basically a bunch of short stories about people and their struggles/overcoming those struggles. All great points I just prefer more of a storyline or a book that flows more and doesn't bounce around like a bunch of short stories. Love this author though and have read other works by him.
Chocoholic
Jul 12, 2010 Chocoholic rated it liked it
Shelves: 100-in-2010
Lots of good reminders about how we have control over what we do in our relationships--for good or bad. I prefer The Five Love Languages for learning about love, but this was a good reminder of how to use that information and apply it. Love is an action word, not something that passively happens. These stories were all good reminders.
Vaughn
Feb 29, 2016 Vaughn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short chapters, engaging format and text, and real-live stories make this a keeper, especially when Amazon runs a Kindle deal. One of the best aspects of this book are the testimonials of real people, with real love challenges who employed Biblical principles and behaviors to learn to love even the most difficult people.

Excellent reading.
Brian Eshleman
Stories in the individual voices of the writers who experienced them are inspiring, although there is a certain predictability to having them in this collection. Chapman summarizing in counselor-speak what these authors have just said in their own way is actually annoying. Sometimes the moral of the story does, and should, tell itself.

Shannon
Jun 06, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
I bought this book because it was $1.99. It's like a Chicken Soup for the Soul type book with touchy, feely stories all around. However, it just feels like all the stories are shortened and rushed to cram as many as possible in this book. Perhaps it is the desire to reach a wider audience with varying experiences? I did find a couple very relate-able stories so that may indeed be the case.
Jóvan
Nov 23, 2012 Jóvan rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for lovey-dovey fairytales, you wouldn't find them here; instead, you will find stories that are so easy to relate to, that you will be very open to each individual's lessons learnt.
Full of practical relevant advice at the end of each story, this was well-appreciated, and well-received. My only qualm was that it ended!

Good buy.
Alana
Oct 15, 2013 Alana added it
The practice of story telling is timeless and potent. It is said that a wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others. I hope that I should be the latter man through reading and gaining insight into the mistakes of others and by learning how all things are conquered by love.
James
Apr 24, 2009 James rated it it was amazing
Dengan plot yang sama seperti buku laris - Chicken Soup for The Soul, dengan penyimpulan dari setiap bab nya oleh Gary Chapman (Penulis Best Seller - Lima Bahasa Kasih).. Dari buku ini kita bisa belajar, makna mendalam tentang mengasihi / mencintai sebagai suatu tindakan bukan sekedar perasaan..
Karine
Aug 10, 2014 Karine rated it liked it
Easy read full of short inspiring stories. I found some of them to be challenging for my own life. This book gives real-life examples of what 'loving in action' really means. More of an 'inspirational book' than an 'teaching or answer book'.
Sandra
Sep 10, 2009 Sandra rated it liked it
A pretty good read that has a lot of different stories involving love with author comments at the end of each story.

A little too cutesy for my tastes, but a good reminder that love flourishes everywhere.
Rich
Feb 09, 2012 Rich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stories from folks who have experienced the highs and lows of what love truly is. The commentary on each story is okay, but the stories are the main attraction for me. They were inspirational without any need for commentary.
Melissa J. Grom, MA
Apr 26, 2012 Melissa J. Grom, MA rated it it was amazing
This book has put the right perspective about Love in the minds of all the readers. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a great example of what Love truly is. Love tends to show up in the oddest ways.
Marian Hood
There are some interesting personal stories here. One that sticks is about a woman who had an emotionally disturbed acquaintance dropped off at her door. Gary Chapman comments on each story and relates most of them to a biblical passage - a bit too preachy for me.
Stephanie
Dec 12, 2015 Stephanie rated it did not like it
This is just a very poorly written Chicken Soup for the Soul book. The stories are bland and superficial. Most importantly they lack the depth that a lot of Chapman's writing seems to have. I don't recommend it unless the CSS books were your thing.
Danni
Oct 25, 2011 Danni rated it liked it
This book is set up a lot like chicken soup for the soul. I really liked it the stories were inspirational. They talked about people who loved when it was hard. I wasn't what I was expecting when I picked it up, but I was happy I read it.
Scott
Jan 21, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life's little tidbits from a variety of authors contribute to the worth of this book. Then Gary adds a cristalizing thought at the end of each chapter to drive the point home -- well worth the read, no matter your relational status...
Merry Trisnawati
Mar 24, 2010 Merry Trisnawati rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
you don't need to fall with love.for it is not a place or any circumstance.it's a verb.do the love.it won't hurt you. people that the one hurt you...not love.so if you have heartache that is caused by love, trust me, it isn't the love. for the love is kind, patient, not envy.
  • Kiss Me Like You Mean It: Solomon's Crazy in Love How-To Manual
  • Love Is A Flame: Stories of What Happens When Love Is Rekindled
  • Creating an Intimate Marriage: Rekindle Romance Through Affection, Warmth and Encouragement
  • Becoming Your Spouse's Better Half: Why Differences Make a Marriage Great
  • The Soulmate Experience: A Practical Guide to Creating Extraordinary Relationships
  • Love Is A Decision
  • 40 Unforgettable Dates with Your Mate: Creative Ways to Meet the Love Needs of Husbands and Wives
  • Journey on the Hard Side of Miracles
  • 52 Things Kids Need from a Mom: What Mothers Can Do to Make a Lifelong Difference
  • Game on: Find Your Purpose--Pursue Your Dream
  • Fit to Be Tied: Making Marriage Last a Lifetime
  • Pray Big for Your Marriage: The Power of Praying God's Promises for Your Relationship
  • Rescue the Captors (Rescue the Captors #1)
  • A Family of Value
  • Bombshells
  • God Drives A Tow Truck
  • Rex and the City: A Memoir of a Woman, a Man and the Rescue Dog Who Rescued Their Relationship
  • Have a New Husband by Friday
Married more than 45 years to Karolyn, Dr. Gary Chapman is just the man to turn to for help on improving or healing our most important relationships. His own life experiences, plus over forty years of pastoring and marriage counseling, led him to publish his first book in the Love Language series, The 5 Love Languages®: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate. Millions of readers credit t ...more
More about Gary Chapman...

“ometimes in life we take a chance on someone. That decision makes the stomach tilt and our hands a little shaky. We don't have to do it, no one will know if we don't, and our lives would continue the same as always. But when we start to love, not only as a tentative experiment but also lavishly, our lives are changed forever. When we love generously, we receive unforgettable rewards. And sometimes, that caring touches not only the other person but has a ripple effect, creating an "extended family" that becomes an experience of true community that we all long for.” 1 likes
“I've seen too many people give up on love too fast. Walking away from relationships doesn't provide the hoped-for relief, bring solutions, or simplify life. Rather, it piles on more problems through the lingering resentment and finger-pointing.” 0 likes