Start by marking “Don't Read This Book!” as Want to Read:
Don't Read This Book!

Don't Read This Book!

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The King is about to star in a brand new story but - wait a minute! What's this? The story has disappeared! You'd better go and do something else instead...What? You're still here? Well, then you'll see the King frantically galloping through Storyland to piece together the fragments of his story, with some very unlikely interventions (and help) and some very familiar faces ...more
Published February 2nd 2009 by Egmont Books Ltd (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Read This Book!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Read This Book!

Papia Sultana
The catchy title of this book instantly makes you want to the book because it warns you NOT to read it and this makes the reader excited and curious and want to discover WHY???!!!! The book is about an ill-tempered King, who wants to write his own story so he hires a story writer to write him a story. The story uses reverse psychology because the king encourages readers to keep turning the pages by telling them not to. The King also directly speaks to the readers commanding them to not read any ...more
Anna Baize
This very original postmodern picture book by Jill Lewis follows the stork of a King, the interruptive narrator, and his story writer as they try to write the story of the princess and the pea. They travel through many other classical fairy tales on their story writing journey, and the whole time the King is commanding the reader to stop reading because their story is not finished. He continually interrupts the story to explain that the reader should not be reading.

The banter in this story make
Allison Nagel
If I were rating this book based on my reading enjoyment: 2 stars.
My 7-year-old son's rating: 4 stars

The pictures are bright and unique. The title jumps off the cover and generates interest.
The content was extremely annoying to me. It is basically a fairytale retold with interruptions and side plot (think "Interrupting Chicken" but poorly executed)

My 7 year old loved the book. He smiled, laughed and responded to the book throughout -- and yelled for me to read it again when we were done. Then h
Justine Paige
This is a book about a King who is waiting for his writer to write a new story. However, the writer has lost the story, so the story is following the characters. However, the king interrupts the story to tell the reader not to read and threatens to through the reader in the dungeons. The characters finally find the story and it happens to be the Princess and the Pea. It may be a cute story to read to students in first or second grade. It makes multiple references to diary tail stories.
Rebecca
The king breaks the 4th wall to yell at the reader in this fractured fairytale in which the writer tries to piece together the ending of an unknown story with bits of known ones. I really wanted this to be a school visit home-run, but the asides are too frequent and the font is too varied, and I don't think the humor is quite universal enough. This would be great fun to try as a reader's theater adaptation or a writing exercise, though.
Clarissa
The story writer has lost his notes and only has half of the title for the book he was going to write. The King tells the reader not to read the book. He and the writer spend the rest of the book feeling that they are being watched by YOU, and reminding you that you are not allowed to read the book, unless you want to end up in the dungeon! Finally the story notes are found and the tale of the Princess and the Pea
Sarah W
This title joins a small flock of books where the story isn't done or gets out of control. Similar themed books include Chester's Masterpiece, The Plot Chickens, and An Undone Fairy Tale. In this volume, the king is determined to keep the reader away from the book because the royal story writer is not done with his work yet. The furious monarch threatens the reader with prison before he and the story writer set out for Beanstalk Crossroads to hunt down the missing story notes.

Different fairy ta
Picture the book
I really love books that play with the convention. Mixing up fairy-tales, seeing the story from a different perspective, pushing well known characters into very unfamiliar and uncomfortable scenarios is something I really fancy. This book had the potential to be a perfect example on how to turn a well know story into a totally new adventure and I feel like the idea and it's potential had not been fully used. The book might be a bit too hard for a kid - children don't really understand the humor ...more
Angie
Maybe a two point five. It's not that I hated it. It's kind of cute.

I'm all for breaking the fourth wall and having characters talk to the readers. Hello, We are in a Book!, The Monster at the End of this Book, Chester's Masterpiece ... among others I am looking at you! But you know why I am looking at them?

Because they did it better. :/

Kristi Bernard
This is a great book for kids. Parents and Teachers will have fun discussing the various fairtale characters as they help the story unfold. Readers will be excited to see what happens to the King's story.
The very irritated King doesn't want anyone turning the pages of this book. You see, the story is not quite finished. He chases down his writer only to find that he has lost the pages of the story. As you, the reader tags along on the search for the story, you will be threatened with prison and
Ms Threlkeld
A very meta story about a king who tells the reader to stop reading because the story isn't actually finished. Good for introducing basic literary elements, like character and conflict.
Robin
I'm so glad I read this book. Even though, the King was very angry with me. Oh well, I enjoyed the fun pictures and watching the story develop. Go ahead, Read this book!
Zatika
I love the bright, striking illustration but some kids may not understand what's happening in the story, with different fairy tale characters appearing here and there.
Scottsdale Public Library
A priceless 'Princess and the Pea,' despite royal decree.
-Monty K.
Jill
Don't read this book. Really. Don't read it. Or the king will throw you in the dungeon. Really. It says so right here. (page marked w/ sticky note.)

Above is book-talk and then I had all the kids yelling, "read it, read it!" It was awesome, unexpected, and the hit of the school visits for this year for sure. I was surprised to see that it didn't have a higher star rating on here--I don't often give 5 stars, but this one definitely deserves it. I loved it, my kids loved it, and all the kids I read
Nancy Jo Lambert
Well, I really wanted to like this one. I love the fractured fairy tale, but this one was just a little too fractured. It is a fun read aloud, but I would recommend this one as a 1-on-1 so that the young child can ask questions. The story line is buried, the King's remarks can be confusing, and the fact that the only fairy tale being written about is The Princess and the Pea when more than that one are alluded to seems incomplete.

Overall, fun but not a fave.
Heidi
Not as good as I was hoping.
Shallowreader VaVeros
This book started well but it became too busy and depended too much on prior fairy tale knowledge. More a 2.5 than a 2 star.
Alice
I read this book in Hamworth Library in Hamworth(Poole) England while on holiday. Our plans for the day fell through and so we saw a library and went into regroup and borrow their internet. I found this book in their cute little children's area and thought it was fun! I really enjoyed it! I am going to make my library buy it! It is silly and cute...I like how it 'talks' to the reader!
Heather Johnston
This was a fun book that played upon reverse psychology- as intended by the title. It tells the journey of a king who is attempting to write another fairy tale. He ends up gathering all of the parts to compose the tale of the princess and the pea. A non- traditional fairy tale that kids would enjoy.

CO: 2010

Genre- Traditional literature
Kendall
I don't really get it...and I love quirky and weird books. In fact, I have a list of "Weird Books" I recommend to kids in grades K-6...but this one never really goes anywhere. It just tries way too hard. I think other authors...David Wiesner, Jon Sciezka, Mo Willems...do this stuff better. Disappointing.
Jonathon
I had high expectations for this book. I was a little disappointed. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great. I had a completely different story line running in my head, just based from the cover and it went in a different direction than I was expecting.
Molly
Great for an older storytime audience. You can really get them participating- trying to guess what the story will be. The read aloud potential is high- reminds me of There is a Monster at the End of this Book.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Amusingly fourth wall breaking at the beginning. But I don't know how good it would be as a bedtime story, which is apparently what it was designed to be. There's a lot of yelling and running around.
Jewel
My kids love it when I read this to them.

I have also read it in class to their classmates who also really enjoyed it.

For kids who are more familiar with the fairytales it might be more enjoyable.
Miri
The text is pretty scattered and not very well put together, but there are several funny pages that I think kids would really enjoy. Planning to test it out on my niece this weekend.
Barbara
Amusing take of the story of The Princess and the Pea ...bust exciting pages, lots of different text, interaction with the reader, humour, links to other fairy tales ...
Cute and humorous book that incorporates kings and fairy tale elements; the narrator also speaks to the reader, which is an interesting and fun element.
Boni
This concept has been done too many times before, so it lacks originality by now- and this book doesn't really bring anything new to it.
Stefani
I love when 3rd person books are fun! A great fractured fairy tale for older listeners. Could also be a good start to a writing activity.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Great Nursery Rhyme Disaster
  • Rapunzel and the Seven Dwarfs: A Maynard Moose Tale
  • Moldylocks and the Three Beards (Princess Pink and the Land of Fake Believe, #1)
  • Once Upon a Time, the End (Asleep in 60 Seconds)
  • Moo Who?
  • A Beach Tail
  • Pirates vs. Cowboys
  • Friends: True Stories of Extraordinary Animal Friendships
  • Everybody Cooks Rice
  • Roger, the Jolly Pirate
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude
  • Open Very Carefully: A Book with Bite
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000
  • The Camping Trip That Changed America
  • Wumbers
  • A Call for a New Alphabet
  • Beep and Bah
Ug-A-Lug: Four Cavemen and a Prehistoric Pencil Educators on the Frontline Coconut Jack A Mom in a Million Adolescent Literacy Instruction: Policies and Promising Practices