Start by marking “Collected Poems, 1948 84” as Want to Read:
Collected Poems, 1948 84

Collected Poems, 1948 84

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  572 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
This remarkable collection, which won the 1986 "Los Angeles Times" Book Prize for Poetry, includes most of the poems from each of Derek Walcott's seven prior books of verse and all of his long autobiographical poem, "Another Life." The 1992 Nobel Laureate in Literature, Walcott has been producing--for several decades--a poetry with all the beauty, wisdom, directness, and n ...more
Published July 6th 1992 by Faber & Faber (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Collected Poems, 1948 84, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Poems, 1948 84

Melanie
Nov 25, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Often I return to a poet or a collection and the importance of it has shifted somehow, I've left it behind. With Derek Walcott I'm always trying to catch up, the poems in this collection are lessons for life, (as unsexy as that might sound). He will always be relevant and revelatory.

Favourites:

Dark August
Sea Cranes
Chapter 15
Chapter 14 III
And all the poems from Midsummer

Nate
Oct 23, 2013 Nate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Epic. I love how Walcott's poems are so vast and expansive. They bring in some kind of Homeric element, some reference to Greek tragedy via the Caribbean. You almost have to read them aloud in patois. A couple of examples. One short, one longer:

The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. G
Megan Valovich
Dec 12, 2015 Megan Valovich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
The poetry of Derek Walcott covers an expanse of topics that will always seem relevant to every day life. Post Colonial literature looks at the relationship of the issues of power, religion, culture as well as economics and politics and how they influence each other. Postcolonial literature often focuses on identity, may it be social identity, cultural identity, or national identity; this is what Walcott adopts in his poetry. Walcott shows his heritage of growing up in Saint Lucia throughout his ...more
Timothy
Jun 20, 2008 Timothy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Walcott is a poet whose work will endure. Yes, this is post-colonial poetry but, more than that, it is poetry with a seriousness of purpose crafted by a man at the peak of his powers. He draws effortlessly on the classics but remains very much rooted in the land and language of the Caribbean. Heartily recommended.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Sep 13, 2011 Jayaprakash Satyamurthy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
A superb overview of a major talent. I have to get my hands on Omeros. Also I spent much of this August reading and thinking about 'Dark August', which became a sort of talisman during a very bleak time.
Kecia
Mar 26, 2009 Kecia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I heard that President Obama (before he was President) was seen carrying around a volume of Walcott's poetry I put in my request at the library right away. I've renewed it so many times now that they won't let me have it anymore. It must go back today so that others may enjoy. I need purchase a copy for my own collection because I've become so attached.

In the beginning I struggled with Walcott. I was persistent and soon Walcott's world began to open for me. It is a sad and beautiful world.
Karen Hood
Mar 14, 2014 Karen Hood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I was not familiar with Derek Walcott so it was a pleasure to find this used book at Poweell"s book store on a recent trip.This is a substantial book of 510 pages but is an enjoyable book of poems to read and read again. Karen Jean Matsko Hood
Brenna
Nov 24, 2014 Brenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Island vs. City (human isolation vs. human over-saturation)
Empire and race, imperial/slave past, America's quiet imperialism
Blessed and cursed with three languages: French Creole, English Creole, and English
YEATS ATTACK! - Prof. Cushman
Favorites: Coral, Sea Grapes
Eric
Aug 02, 2007 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Walcott gets on my nerves at times--the influence of early Lowell can be overpowering, clotting and thickening the rhetoric--but he's a real poet, with his own special English and "something to say" (why do people read book after axe-grinding, earnestly political book about "race" and "multicultural identity"? Find what an artist has to say about those things; don't bother with academics or pundits). I've had my copy since high school, and not a month goes by that I don't turn to something in he ...more
Kasandra
May 25, 2012 Kasandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I take forever to read Walcott's books (have read a few of the individual books sampled in this huge volume), because his writing is so painterly, so full of intense images and startling, new, fresh language (while still calling up both personal nostalgia and a sense of adventure/wonder) that I get lost in his work. Sometimes it can take me weeks to digest a single one of his poems. I don't want to miss a thing, and I savor his work, read it slowly, re-read it, try to learn from it. Absolute bea ...more
Nate
Dec 22, 2008 Nate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So no, I havn't read it all, and suspect I will always be reading it. I love Walcott's poetry and highly recommend people invest in his collected poems in order to have it all so to say, or at least the massive amount in these pages. As Walcott says in one of his more famous poems: "Either I'm nobody, or I'm a nation." Very few lines of erse speak so personally to me as those, and to top it off you can hear Walcott's Caribbean musicality and accent mercilessly flinging these words into the world ...more
Jared White
Jul 01, 2010 Jared White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book because of Walcott's strict form employed to reveal his remembered Caribbean. He is patient in his poetry. He slowly unfolds landscapes and details from his native islands. For me it was like Walcott was lifting salt fish to my mouth, brushing beach-sand from my feet, or fanning the wind's sea-smell toward my nose. His image-driven approach to classical, formal content leaves one feeling enlightened in every sense.
Hollis
Jun 26, 2009 Hollis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
One of the best poetry books I have ever read. I'm not exaggerating: I really do think that Walcott is the best living poet in the English language by a long way. Reading Walcott has restored my faith that it is still possible to write great poetry in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries: there are still great poets out there and Derek Walcott is one of them.
Jerry
Dec 20, 2007 Jerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, poetry
It is an encouragement for Non-New Yorker's, Non-Parisians, and the Non-San Fran crowds. It is an encouragment to those outside of literary establishments to write, according to Walcott, "For no one had yet written of this landscape."

His detailed images are wonderful, especially in "Another Life", a narrative poem over 4,000 lines long.
Evan
Feb 10, 2009 Evan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a photo of President Obama walking out of 57th St. Books in Chicago, just a month before the election, with a new copy of this book under his arm. Sigh....

Alyson Bowers
Some of the most profound poetry I've ever heard come from this man and this collection of poetry; I still think of these poems all the time!
Eveline Chao
Nov 02, 2007 Eveline Chao rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I actually really like Derek Walcott but maybe reading this much of his poetry was just too much for me. Kind of got tired of it.
h
Nov 05, 2013 h rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, poetry, anthology, 2013
does anyone do the long poem like walcott? he articulates the in-between in amazing, singing ways.
Punk
Nov 26, 2011 Punk marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Why, why do I have this enormous Derek Walcott book? The answer is probably college.
Aimee
Dec 12, 2014 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, racism, nobel, poetry
4.5/5

Read for school. Wow this exceeded my expectations. Review to come.
Esther Marie
Jan 08, 2016 Esther Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Well-written, just not my cup of tea.
William theBlind
Gorgeous and thoughtful.
Heather-lyz
Jan 18, 2010 Heather-lyz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like darker poetry
These poems were romantic, dark, full of nature, and called up visions of distant shores. Anyone who wants to expand their horizons with poetry MUST read this!
Dan
Oct 05, 2009 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dense and luminous.
Daina
Daina marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Milica's Bookshelf
Milica's Bookshelf rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Cam
Cam marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Madeleine Grossman
Madeleine Grossman marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Brooks Mcsmith
Brooks Mcsmith marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
  • Thomas and Beulah
  • The Poems of Marianne Moore
  • The Changing Light at Sandover
  • Poems 1968-1998
Derek Walcott is a Caribbean poet, playwright, writer and visual artist. Born in Castries, St. Lucia, he won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1992 "for a poetic oeuvre of great luminosity, sustained by a historical vision, the outcome of a multicultural commitment."

His work, which developed independently of the schools of magic realism emerging in both South America and Europe at around the time
More about Derek Walcott...

The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.”
384 likes