Start by marking “Full Moon” as Want to Read:
Full Moon

Full Moon (Blandings Castle #7)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,191 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Despite marriage to a millionaire's daughter and success as a vice-president of Donaldson's Inc., manufacturers of the world-famous Donaldson's Dog-Joy, Freddie Threepwood, Lord Emsworth's younger son, still goes in fear of his aunts when at Blandings Castle. Full Moon tells the story of how he faces them down while promoting the love of Bill Lister and Prudence Garland.

A

Hardcover
Published by Folio Society (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Full Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Moon

Dorothea
Ah, P.G. Wodehouse is good for the soul. Helps you take life less seriously. I got interrupted in my reading a little more than I'd like with this book, but still had a lot of fun. Brought me back to my younger years when my whole family would take Wodehouse on family vacations and read them and swap them around. There aren't a lot of books out there that make me laugh out loud, but Wodehouse does. If you're new to Wodehouse this probably isn't a starter book. It doesn't really matter, but there ...more
Qnpoohbear
Freddie Threepwood is back in England to promote Donaldson's Dog Joy when he discovers his cousin Prudence is in love with his old friend Bill Lister. Prudence's mother doesn't approve but Freddie falls on the side of true love and encourages his young cousin to marry at the Registry Office before any of the family catch on. His next order of business is to keep Tipton Plimsoll, a young American supermarket owner, sober long enough to secure a sale for Donaldson's Dog Joy. Tipton thinks he's doi ...more
Dan Schwent
You know, I never get tired of the old Wodehouse formula. His hilarious writing makes you forget you've read nearly the same story a few times before.

Full Moon is a tale of Blandings Castle and has the usual suspects. You have the Ninth Earl, Lord Emsworth, his smooth talking brother Galahad Threepwood, the overbearing aunt, Hermione this time, unrequited love, and a pignapping. Still, it's as crisp as ever.

Lord Emsworth isn't on stage as often as I'd like but he makes it count when he is. Uncle
Sean Brennan
Laugh out loud funny, especially enjoyed the perceived alcoholic visions of Tipton Plimsall.
K.
Jun 17, 2014 K. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brit-wit fans, Wodehouse lovers
Shelves: smart-humor
Caused laughing-out-loud whilst sitting in dentist's office. Not many authors can truly alleviate that kind of stress, eh? What?

"To say of anyone's heart that it stood still is physically inexact. The heart does not stand still. It has to go right on working away at the old stand, irrespective of it's proprietor's feelings. Tipton's, though he would scarcely have believed you if you had told him so, continued to beat. But the illusion that it had downed tools was extraordinarily vivid." (38)

"
Gallagher
Too many. Gotta take a break. Five stars!
Douglas Wilson
Fun. Also read in September of 1982.
Raj
The ninth Earl of Emsworth wants a portrait painted. Of his prize pig. His niece Prudence is whisked away from her wedding, to purgatory back at Blandings, because her mother and her aunt don't approve of her intended, and his other niece Veronica wants to marry an American millionaire who keeps seeing a hideous face every time he takes a drink.

Wodehouse mixes up all this and more with glee, plonks it down in the picturesque setting of Blandings castle. The hon Galahad may not be Jeeves, but he'
Valerie
I'd like to see an autobiography of the Empress of Blandings. I'm prepared to bet that about 90% of the time she has NO IDEA of what's going on.

This is typical Blandings Castle fare. I do wonder what E Jimpson Murgatroyd meant by 'alcohol poisoning'. True alcohol poisoning is very dangerous--often fatal. A condition consequent on a short-term binge which results in (fairly substantial) hallucinations is not what I would expect to find described as alcohol poisoning.

Anyway, the principals have ye
Kadri
Not only is this a shining example of P.G. Wodehouse at the top of his game, but the Finnish translation is superb. It takes an awful lot of talent to translate a Wodehouse novel so that it is as funny in a foreign language, yet Taimi pulled it off. It's by far the best Wodehouse translation I've read so far and it made me laugh at loud many times, just as Wodehouse would have wanted.

And here are a few quotes to convince you to read this very book.

Kasvatuksella on suuri merkitys ihmiselämässä. L
Steve Mitchell
A novel by PG Wodehouse set in Blandings Castle; what more do you need to know? Lord Emsworth’s sister - Lady Hermione Wedge – feels that her daughter Veronica is ideally suited to marry the American millionaire Tipton Plimsoll; the two are obviously in love so it should be a breeze. The trouble is Plimsoll cannot pluck up the courage to pop the question without a snifter of the good stuff, but every time he imbibes he sees faces following him. The face belongs to one William Lister, who is enga ...more
Nan Silvernail
When an unsuitable suitor looms up in the life of a girl in the Threepwood family, she is usually whisked away to Blandings Castle and that's what happens to Prudence. Her Bill Lister is left in the lurch at the very altar rails. Will Uncle Galahad be able to come to the rescue and reunite the couple? Meanwhile, Lord Emsworth wants a formal portrait of The Empress, his prized and prize-winning pig to place in the ancestral gallery. His son, Freddie is back from America to try to ginger up his co ...more
Nina Ivanova
Full review/Пълно ревюClick, click :)

Следпрочитно:
Удхаус е един от малцината автори, които могат да използват все една и съща формула, и пак да им се получава. Колкото и много нещастни влюбени двойки да сме виждали преди в книгите му, пак с трепет ще следим съдбата им тук, подпомагана от съветите и подкрепата на Галахад.Добавяме и класическата армия от зли лели, както и диамантена огърлица, и коктейлът Удхаус е забъркан.
Всъщност, май това е първата ми среща с героите от замъка Бандингс. След пъ
Bev Hankins
Back to P. G. Wodhouse. Full Moon, another Blandings Castle adventure, also happens to have been written in 1947 and, therefore, counts as another candle for my mom's cake in the Birth Year Challenge Honors Edition.

In this particular outing, love is in bloom at Blandings Castle. Lord Emsworth's neice Prudence is on the brink of making a most unsuitable match--with an artist, no less. Her mother bundles her off to Blandings Castle to prevent the horrible event. Freddie Threepwood (Lord Emsworths'
Ian Wood
‘Full Moon’ is a Wodehouse novel set at his own Garden of Eden, Blandings Castle. We last entered Blandings with ‘Uncle Fred in the Springtime’ and although Uncle Fred is not present his understudy The Honourable Galahad is in residence along with The Honourable Freddie whom is amiably if not ably assisting him in bringing to a happy conclusion the courtship of his cousins Prudence and Veronica to Bill ‘Blister’ Lister and Tipton Plimsoll respectively.

As ever complications come in the way of Lor
Z Coonen
Humor in many forms - puns, goofy characters, witty dialogue, and clever prose. A fun, light-hearted read that sometimes left me literally chuckling aloud, which I don't normally do when reading. If you enjoy Wodehouse, this one is a delight.
Libbeth
I will use this "review" for all the P. G. Wodehouse I have read. I read them all so long ago and enjoyed them so much that I have given them all 5 stars. As I re-read them I will adjust the stars accordingly, if necessary, and add a proper review.
When I first discovered P. G. Wodehouse I devoured every book I could find in the local library, throughout the eighties and early nineties. Alas, this means that I have read most of them and stumbling across one I have not read is a rare thing. I'm su
Rima
Initially I wasn't too sure on how enjoyable this book would be but once I became familiar with the multiple characters the plot becomes hilariously interesting. It's worth reading for the comic situations and the wonderful characters!
Saira
My first Wodehouse book and its pretty different from anything I've read recently. I didn't care for how dramatic the girls in this story are but it was part of the humor that made the book enjoyable. It's a refreshing and light read.
Honoria
Whenever Wodehouse returns to Blandings, four stars are always called for. Perhaps not five, on this occasion. I don't quite warm to the affairs of Bill and Prudence, or Tipton and Veronica, as I have done to other sundered hearts in the rose garden. Bill tries to do his bit, entering Blandings under an alias and false beard to paint a portrait of the Empress, but his heart is never in it. On the plus side of the ledger, we are treated to a rare glimpse of Freddie Threepwood as a married man and ...more
Gary Land
I have now finished the fourth of the six Blandings novels. Although the plot had the familiar element of a lower class lover seeking to marry above his class, with the girl's imperious aunt standing in the way, although Uncle Galahad keeps coming up with plots, eventually successful, to overcome her opposition. The novel also features a girl, Veronica, whose parents want her to link up with an American who is visiting the Blandings castle and who has instantly fallen in love with her but keeps ...more
Frank Hablawi
P.G. Wodehouse creates characters that leave the reader simultaneously shaking their heads in flabbergasted disbelief and nodding in hopeful delight. In short, it's a pain in the neck.
Diana
Like all the Wodehouse novels which I have had the pleasure to read 'Full Moon' had me stitches throughout the narrative. As usual, Blandings is home to cruelly separated lovers, thus the lovable but brutish-looking Bill Lister worms his way into the castle under many guises. They include: a painter of pigs, a gardener with an Assyrian beard, and long-dead wildlife artist Edwin Landseer. Add a wealthy American bachelor who is convinced that a- the afore-mentioned Bill Lister is an alcohol-induce ...more
Ali Miremadi
Complex stuff, even by the standards of Galahad Threepwood
Sarah McC
Another rollicking tale from Blandings Castle, with the usual characters. I think that my favorite part of the Blandings Castle stories is the way that visitors are rarely who they claim to be. One things that Lady Hermione would cotton on to this, but she never does. One must assume that between tales, many legitimate visitors arrive to allay her suspicions.

The Empress is in fine form, there are the usual romantic entanglements, unlikely poets, alarming coincidence, and delightful insults. I d
Linda
I love P.G. Wodehouse! It doesn't matter that I can't follow the zany plotlines or keep the cast of oddballs straight. Reading Wodehouse is like luxuriating in a bath spa whilst sipping a hot toddy (okay--it's a skinny caramel machiato with whipped cream) and listening to a vintage Marian McPartland LP. The gist is he's a master of drunkenly correct syntax interspersed with idiomatic nonsense that just pleasures me!
(Sort of: Clifford Odetts meets Charles Dickens ;~)
Tami
Read this with a dry martini. Or ten. Recommended by my sister as the first Wodehouse I should read (because it was the first one she read) I was not disappointed! Hilarious in a way only the driest of English humor can be, Wodehouse masterfully intertwines his characters' motives and actions. He moves the plot along at a relaxing pace to set conditions for a perfect storm that will have a conclusion one could not predict at the outset. And there is a pig.
Malquiviades
Blandings Castle dwellers exposed in the most hilarious of situations. You will love them all, without restrictions, and laugh as you will never do.
This is the best Blandings Castle novel of Wodehouse in my opinion, something you cannot miss in the case this says nothing to you.
Lord Emsworth, his relatives and all the people parading through the manor are second to none except for Wooster and Jeeves.
Wodehouse at his best. Not enough?
Bill Kte'pi
A lesser Blandings - Lord Emsworth isn't very central, and Galahad is deployed generically enough that it could have been any other farce - but it's still Blandings.
Dch3jac1
Excellent Wodehouse - usual antics in country houses, great phrases, good fun.
  • The Complete Yes Prime Minister
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • The Best of Saki
  • Wilt On High (Wilt, #3)
  • Three Men on the Bummel
  • Shannon's Way
  • Dancing Aztecs
  • Summer Half
  • Conference At Cold Comfort Farm
  • The Mysterious Stranger and Other Stories
  • The Worshipful Lucia (Lucia, #5)
  • Prester John
  • The Writings of John Lennon
  • The School at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #9)
  • Die Strudlhofstiege oder Melzer und die Tiefe der Jahre
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 30 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

Blandings Castle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Something Fresh (Blandings Castle, #1)
  • Leave It to Psmith (Psmith, #4 ; Blandings Castle, #2)
  • Blandings Castle
  • Summer Lightning
  • Heavy Weather (Blandings Castle, #5)
  • Uncle Fred in the Springtime
  • Pigs Have Wings (Blandings Castle, #8)
  • Service with a Smile
  • Galahad at Blandings (Blandings Castle, #10)
  • A Pelican at Blandings (Blandings Castle, #11)
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)