Start by marking “Full Moon” as Want to Read:
Full Moon

Full Moon (Blandings Castle #7)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  1,690 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Despite marriage to a millionaire's daughter and success as a vice-president of Donaldson's Inc., manufacturers of the world-famous Donaldson's Dog-Joy, Freddie Threepwood, Lord Emsworth's younger son, still goes in fear of his aunts when at Blandings Castle. Full Moon tells the story of how he faces them down while promoting the love of Bill Lister and Prudence Garland.

A

Published by Folio Society (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Full Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Moon

James
Oct 10, 2016 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable, amusing and entertaining, a very well written story.

This is the first Wodehouse I have read (on the recommendation of a friend) and it strikes me that this is very similar in tone, nature and style to the 'Ladies' Detective Agency' series by Alexander McCall Smith (of which I have read many) - presumably McCall Smith is a fan of Wodehouse's?

Great escapism to a long gone time and place that never really existed.
Pallavi Kamat
Oct 16, 2015 Pallavi Kamat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious, laugh-out-loud, softly giggle to oneself kind of book. Most of the characters are easily identifiable and that's what makes P.G. one of the greatest writers of his time. Situational comedy is hard to depict but he seems to be a master at it.
Leslie
Sep 16, 2016 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
A fun entry in the Blandings Castle series revolving around the love affairs of 2 of Emsworth's nieces but not the zaniest of the series. Paul Galdone's illustrations were an added bonus :)
Dan Schwent
Feb 27, 2009 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse, favorites
You know, I never get tired of the old Wodehouse formula. His hilarious writing makes you forget you've read nearly the same story a few times before.

Full Moon is a tale of Blandings Castle and has the usual suspects. You have the Ninth Earl, Lord Emsworth, his smooth talking brother Galahad Threepwood, the overbearing aunt, Hermione this time, unrequited love, and a pignapping. Still, it's as crisp as ever.

Lord Emsworth isn't on stage as often as I'd like but he makes it count when he is. Uncle
Dorothea
Apr 14, 2009 Dorothea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous
Ah, P.G. Wodehouse is good for the soul. Helps you take life less seriously. I got interrupted in my reading a little more than I'd like with this book, but still had a lot of fun. Brought me back to my younger years when my whole family would take Wodehouse on family vacations and read them and swap them around. There aren't a lot of books out there that make me laugh out loud, but Wodehouse does. If you're new to Wodehouse this probably isn't a starter book. It doesn't really matter, but there ...more
Sean Brennan
Oct 23, 2014 Sean Brennan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Laugh out loud funny, especially enjoyed the perceived alcoholic visions of Tipton Plimsall.
QNPoohBear
May 03, 2014 QNPoohBear rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freddie Threepwood is back in England to promote Donaldson's Dog Joy when he discovers his cousin Prudence is in love with his old friend Bill Lister. Prudence's mother doesn't approve but Freddie falls on the side of true love and encourages his young cousin to marry at the Registry Office before any of the family catch on. His next order of business is to keep Tipton Plimsoll, a young American supermarket owner, sober long enough to secure a sale for Donaldson's Dog Joy. Tipton thinks he's doi ...more
Alex Sarll
What better reading for a spring visit to the balmy country seat of the Sarlls, especially when the Moon is still pretty much full? It's the usual Blandings formula - star-crossed lovers, stern aunt, funny business involving the ancestral porker - and none the worse for that, though here the form is perhaps being refined to the point of decadence. The doubling and interweaving of the romance plots must have required the most needle-sharp planning, but it was worth it; of all Blandings' imposters ...more
Rima
Jul 30, 2014 Rima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initially I wasn't too sure on how enjoyable this book would be but once I became familiar with the multiple characters the plot becomes hilariously interesting. It's worth reading for the comic situations and the wonderful characters!
Maeve
Jan 26, 2015 Maeve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am now adding this to my list of favorite books. Wodehouse is an amazing author, and I really loved reading this story. I look forward to reading even more great novels.
Frank Hablawi
Nov 04, 2014 Frank Hablawi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
P.G. Wodehouse creates characters that leave the reader simultaneously shaking their heads in flabbergasted disbelief and nodding in hopeful delight. In short, it's a pain in the neck.
Douglas Wilson
Feb 19, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse, fiction
Fun. Also read in September of 1982.
Gallagher
May 24, 2008 Gallagher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too many. Gotta take a break. Five stars!
Tandava Brahmachari
Lord Emsworth is not a primary player in this book, but the high points are two or three conversations with him that are absolute gems. A small sample....

"Are you," he asked, changing the subject, "interested in pigs, Mr Er - Ah - Umph?"

"Plimsoll," said Tipton [Plimsoll].

"Pigs," said Lord Emsworth, raising his voice a little and enunciating the word more distinctly.
Natalie
Oct 31, 2016 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ebook
Nina Ivanova
Oct 13, 2013 Nina Ivanova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, british, romance
Full review/Пълно ревюClick, click :)

Следпрочитно:
Удхаус е един от малцината автори, които могат да използват все една и съща формула, и пак да им се получава. Колкото и много нещастни влюбени двойки да сме виждали преди в книгите му, пак с трепет ще следим съдбата им тук, подпомагана от съветите и подкрепата на Галахад.Добавяме и класическата армия от зли лели, както и диамантена огърлица, и коктейлът Удхаус е забъркан.
Всъщност, май това е първата ми среща с героите от замъка Бандингс. След пъ
Bev
Back to P. G. Wodhouse. Full Moon, another Blandings Castle adventure, also happens to have been written in 1947 and, therefore, counts as another candle for my mom's cake in the Birth Year Challenge Honors Edition.

In this particular outing, love is in bloom at Blandings Castle. Lord Emsworth's neice Prudence is on the brink of making a most unsuitable match--with an artist, no less. Her mother bundles her off to Blandings Castle to prevent the horrible event. Freddie Threepwood (Lord Emsworths'
Marfita
This reviews the audiobook read by Jeremy Sindon. Good job by Sindon in voice characterization. And the American accent was nicely underdone. It ends very abruptly though. Galahad walks off and suddenly the audible.com voice comes on and hopes I have enjoyed it. Maybe that last line should have been taken slower to indicate it was the end.
Although containing typical Wodehouse ingredients: disrupted romances, a diamond necklace, and a very fat pig, Things do not go as one would expect. And I've l
K.
May 28, 2014 K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brit-wit fans, Wodehouse lovers
Shelves: smart-humor
Caused laughing-out-loud whilst sitting in dentist's office. Not many authors can truly alleviate that kind of stress, eh? What?

"To say of anyone's heart that it stood still is physically inexact. The heart does not stand still. It has to go right on working away at the old stand, irrespective of it's proprietor's feelings. Tipton's, though he would scarcely have believed you if you had told him so, continued to beat. But the illusion that it had downed tools was extraordinarily vivid." (38)

"
Nan Silvernail
When an unsuitable suitor looms up in the life of a girl in the Threepwood family, she is usually whisked away to Blandings Castle and that's what happens to Prudence. Her Bill Lister is left in the lurch at the very altar rails. Will Uncle Galahad be able to come to the rescue and reunite the couple? Meanwhile, Lord Emsworth wants a formal portrait of The Empress, his prized and prize-winning pig to place in the ancestral gallery. His son, Freddie is back from America to try to ginger up his co ...more
Steve Mitchell
Jul 25, 2011 Steve Mitchell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A novel by PG Wodehouse set in Blandings Castle; what more do you need to know? Lord Emsworth’s sister - Lady Hermione Wedge – feels that her daughter Veronica is ideally suited to marry the American millionaire Tipton Plimsoll; the two are obviously in love so it should be a breeze. The trouble is Plimsoll cannot pluck up the courage to pop the question without a snifter of the good stuff, but every time he imbibes he sees faces following him. The face belongs to one William Lister, who is enga ...more
Shruti Ramanujam
May 30, 2016 Shruti Ramanujam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As every other Wodehouse novel, this one has jokes aplenty. The reader will be left laughing at the quirkiness of all the characters and their shenanigans. Though the plot and the story line hold good, it is the humor that is the hero of the whole novel. There is humor in the bizarre actions of the characters and the classic British wit is also captured beautifully. Even a level headed character such as Galahad Threepwood contributes to the humor when he is commenting on the outlandish behavior ...more
Valerie
I'd like to see an autobiography of the Empress of Blandings. I'm prepared to bet that about 90% of the time she has NO IDEA of what's going on.

This is typical Blandings Castle fare. I do wonder what E Jimpson Murgatroyd meant by 'alcohol poisoning'. True alcohol poisoning is very dangerous--often fatal. A condition consequent on a short-term binge which results in (fairly substantial) hallucinations is not what I would expect to find described as alcohol poisoning.

Anyway, the principals have ye
Kadri
Jan 16, 2012 Kadri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only is this a shining example of P.G. Wodehouse at the top of his game, but the Finnish translation is superb. It takes an awful lot of talent to translate a Wodehouse novel so that it is as funny in a foreign language, yet Taimi pulled it off. It's by far the best Wodehouse translation I've read so far and it made me laugh at loud many times, just as Wodehouse would have wanted.

And here are a few quotes to convince you to read this very book.

Kasvatuksella on suuri merkitys ihmiselämässä. L
Ian Wood
Feb 22, 2008 Ian Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
‘Full Moon’ is a Wodehouse novel set at his own Garden of Eden, Blandings Castle. We last entered Blandings with ‘Uncle Fred in the Springtime’ and although Uncle Fred is not present his understudy The Honourable Galahad is in residence along with The Honourable Freddie whom is amiably if not ably assisting him in bringing to a happy conclusion the courtship of his cousins Prudence and Veronica to Bill ‘Blister’ Lister and Tipton Plimsoll respectively.

As ever complications come in the way of Lor
Michael
May 21, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I agree with the last line of the blurb.  Yes, this is a charming Blandings comedy.

It felt like we dragged this one out a little too long, what with one thing and another, so I don't have many clear memories or exact reactions.  To be honest, as much as I like Wodehouse, many of his books do tend to run together in my mind.  However, I remember laughing a lot, so it must've been pretty good.

Bits that I do recall as being especially funny:
--Freddie Threepwood's unwavering enthusiasm for Donalds
Gary Land
Jun 05, 2011 Gary Land rated it really liked it
I have now finished the fourth of the six Blandings novels. Although the plot had the familiar element of a lower class lover seeking to marry above his class, with the girl's imperious aunt standing in the way, although Uncle Galahad keeps coming up with plots, eventually successful, to overcome her opposition. The novel also features a girl, Veronica, whose parents want her to link up with an American who is visiting the Blandings castle and who has instantly fallen in love with her but keeps ...more
Honoria
Sep 02, 2012 Honoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse
Whenever Wodehouse returns to Blandings, four stars are always called for. Perhaps not five, on this occasion. I don't quite warm to the affairs of Bill and Prudence, or Tipton and Veronica, as I have done to other sundered hearts in the rose garden. Bill tries to do his bit, entering Blandings under an alias and false beard to paint a portrait of the Empress, but his heart is never in it. On the plus side of the ledger, we are treated to a rare glimpse of Freddie Threepwood as a married man and ...more
Raj
Jan 11, 2014 Raj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, humour
The ninth Earl of Emsworth wants a portrait painted. Of his prize pig. His niece Prudence is whisked away from her wedding, to purgatory back at Blandings, because her mother and her aunt don't approve of her intended, and his other niece Veronica wants to marry an American millionaire who keeps seeing a hideous face every time he takes a drink.

Wodehouse mixes up all this and more with glee, plonks it down in the picturesque setting of Blandings castle. The hon Galahad may not be Jeeves, but he'
Libbeth
Oct 21, 2008 Libbeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1982-to-1989, humour
I will use this "review" for all the P. G. Wodehouse I have read. I read them all so long ago and enjoyed them so much that I have given them all 5 stars. As I re-read them I will adjust the stars accordingly, if necessary, and add a proper review.
When I first discovered P. G. Wodehouse I devoured every book I could find in the local library, throughout the eighties and early nineties. Alas, this means that I have read most of them and stumbling across one I have not read is a rare thing. I'm su
  • The Complete Yes Prime Minister
  • P. G. Wodehouse: A Biography
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Oh! to be in England
  • Lucia Rising
  • Three Men on the Bummel (Three Men, #2)
  • The Best of Saki
  • Comics, Comix & Graphic Novels: A History Of Comic Art
  • Shannon's Way
  • The Brandons
  • Wilt On High (Wilt, #3)
  • The Mysterious Stranger and Other Stories
  • Jeeves and the Wedding Bells (Jeeves, #16)
  • The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
  • The Moorland Cottage and Other Stories
  • Here Comes Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #6)
  • You Can't Do Both
  • William in Trouble (Just William, #8)
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

Blandings Castle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Something Fresh (Blandings Castle, #1)
  • Leave It to Psmith
  • Blandings Castle
  • Summer Lightning
  • Heavy Weather (Blandings Castle, #5)
  • Uncle Fred in the Springtime
  • Pigs Have Wings (Blandings Castle, #8)
  • Service With a Smile
  • Galahad at Blandings (Blandings Castle, #10)
  • A Pelican at Blandings (Blandings Castle, #11)