The Dead: Case Studies in Contemporary Criticism

The Dead: Case Studies in Contemporary Criticism

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Adopted at more than 1,000 colleges and universities, Bedford/St. Martin's innovative Case Studies in Contemporary Criticism series has introduced more than a quarter of a million students to literary theory and earned enthusiastic praise nationwide. Along with an authoritative text of a major literary work, each volume presents critical essays, selected or prepared especi...more
Published December 15th 1993 by Bedford/St. Martin's

Derek
Mar 20, 2008 Derek rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Self-conscious Irish men whose lives are filled with empty longing
"The Dead" is the last story in James Joyce's "Dubliners" and since I was already reading "Dubliners," when I got to the final story in the book, I skipped over to this version which includes a number of critical essays from different schools of literary critique. I really enjoyed reading Dubliners, but I must admit that I was often baffled with it. Remembering my rather unsuccessful reading of "The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" many years ago, I decided that anytime I read Joyce, I sho...more
Stewart
One of the great short stories in the English language – or any language – “The Dead” by James Joyce is the last of the 15 stories in his book of short stories "Dubliners," published in 1914. I first read the story when I was 20 and wasn’t of an age to understand its complexities. Thirty-seven years later I read it again before flying to Dublin, Ireland, the site of the stories, for a few days’ visit.
In early 2013, I used an amazon.com gift card to buy a copy of "The Dead: Case Studies in Cont...more
Mariano Hortal
"The dead" es el último cuento de la recopilación de Joyce "Dubliners". Retrato costumbrista de la Irlanda de la época con Dublín como ciudad protagonista, una Dublín nevada y fría pero encantadora. Ella es la verdadera protagonista y los irlandeses capitaneados por Gabriel Conroy. Sus temas, que desarrollará más tarde están ya presentes: Dublín subyugada por Inglaterra, su conflicto religioso y por supuesto la epifanía: que el personaje sufre ante la aparición de un amor inmortal e inexistente...more
Jessica Brooks
This short story is amazing. I don't really know how to put it into words. The way that Joyce plays with the concept of isolation, and how the protagonist grows and changes over the course of the story is fascinating. The way that he toys with and throws around symbolism and allusions to the past, and the afterlife...

Classic Modernist lit, and one of the most beautiful works that I have read in a while.
Susu
Die Tochter einer Bekannten brauchte eine deutsche Fassung - und das am Sonntag - also habe ich das hier mal wieder ausgebuddelt. Meine Ausgabe taucht leider auf amazon nicht mehr auf - es handelt sich um eine nette Sammlung an Erzählungen und Ausschnitten - sozusagen zur Eingewöhnung.
Edward
Obviously the story is five-star material, as is everything from Dubliners. No question there, but then I am biased since it's Joyce. I also liked the criticism that was included in the book, particularly Schwarz's own psychoanalytic criticism, despite a bit of gratuitous reaching.
Zack Mollhagen
Some very interesting essays are in this collection which added depth to my rereading of "The Dead." I love this short story, and the different perspectives are insightful.
Elysse
Emotionally evocative, especially the last scene, but other than that it didn't do too much for me. People looked into it waaaaaay to much in my opinion.
Sara
It's a slow burn, but it's worth the read. You'll find yourself thinking about it days later and being surprised what an impact it had on you.
MaryWeatherwell
One of the (few) bright spots of senior seminar, this story makes me ache.
Donohue
"Memories of their secret life together burst like stars upon his memory"
Luke
Jul 27, 2011 Luke added it
Brilliant and subtle work. The ending is unforgettable.
Anna
Oct 11, 2012 Anna added it
Amazing. I love everything about this book.
April Himes
one of my favorite stories
Brandonbildung
Brandonbildung marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Lauren
Lauren added it
May 26, 2014
Steve Dalton
Steve Dalton marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014

James Joyce (1882-1941), Irish novelist, noted for his experimental use of language in such works as Ulysses (1922) and Finnegans Wake (1939). Joyce's technical innovations in the art of the novel include an extensive use of interior monologue; he used a complex network of s...more
More about James Joyce...
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man Ulysses Dubliners The Dead Finnegans Wake