The Cave Girl

The Cave Girl

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Fifth Ace printing with cover art by Frank Frazetta.
Published 1975 by Ace Books (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about The Cave Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cave Girl

Jenee
I loved it!

Edgar Rice Burroughs is amazing.

I'm glad he wrote so many books, but I will be sad when I run out of them to read.

He was writing sci-fi way before his time. His books have an extreme cheesiness to them, but that's what makes them amazing. It's like Burroughs tried to pack as much adventure and danger as he could into his stories to make them as epic as possible.

And his main characters are always the most badass people possible and they can never fail, and even when they get themselv...more
Kevin
I'm a fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs, but I didn't really like this story. It's a contemporary fantasy or, more likely, an adventure story. Waldo, the hero of the story, comes from a privileged Bostonian family and falls overboard from a ship at sea. He washes up on the shore of an uncharted island that appears to be home to a last remnant of "cavemen" -- possibly Neandertal. The cave girl of the title lives on the island, but she is also a "foreigner" who came to the island as a child.

The story th...more
Phoebe
Jul 31, 2008 Phoebe rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA or anyone who enjoys sf/fantasy tropes in the original.
I bought this book for $5 at Readercon in Boston. I thought I'd read all of Burroughs when I was a kid, but missed this one. Burroughs can tell a story! The hero, a Boston Brahmin from Back Bay spends the first 20 or so pages screaming in terror but by the middle of the book, he's hooked up with the beautiful, savvy and mostly naked heroine and becomes a man, by god!

Go ahead and laugh at my choice of this book for my virgin outing here on goodreads. It WAS a good read, however. It's predictable...more
Wechselbalg
Waldo Emerson Smith-Jones is stranded in jungle far from civilisation. He is an intelligent, well educated, but physically weak coward.
This savage new world holds dangers and challenges Waldo is unable to manage.
How can a man, who lives through books and has no idea of what the struggle to stay alive in a place like this means, learn to trade the safety of books and a caring mother for physical strengh and courage.
For Waldo it seems impossible.
When he meets the cave girl, Nadara Waldo Emerson Sm...more
Robert
I enjoyed this, in spite of the very "pulpy" writing, you know, damsel in distress, weak man finds his inner strength, rescues damsel. Burroughs puts in his usual primitive person who is superior to others is actually from the aristocracy and this makes them superior even if they know nothing about European culture junk. Yes, Burroughs was sexist, racist, and classist. Still, he write amusing, imaginative stories, if one can just kind of sliiiiide past the bad spots.

The Cave Girl is sometimes p...more
Nathan Shumate
Yes, naturally, it's terribly racist and sexist and ethnocentrist, but it's also loads of fun. The fact that the protag starts out as a skinny hypochondriac before being shipwrecked on Caveperson Island makes him into a proper Burroughsian hero is an added twist to the fun.
J.c. Hulsey
I was amazed at how he survived, even prospered without any medication. I would die in the first few days. I would recommend this book.
Chellie Pearl Paas
It's a fun adventure novel, a well told sequence of events, not overly wordy, the love story is also well narrated and the twist at the end was wonderful
Ralph Calhoun
A good Burroughs romp, very much his typical hero and the girl mis-communicating and lots of varied threads amazingly coming together, and as always I loved it! I try to explain to my wife that much of the way I treat her is based on the unselfish love that ERB male characters (Tarzan, John Carter, and Waldo) treat their loves. I've read so many Burroughs over my 51 years that I'm not always sure if I've read some of them until I get into the book. But hey I'm working my way through most of them...more
Summer
Finished listening to this audiobook today. My library had put it in Classic Literature- I don't think I'd considerate it literature. It's more of Juvenile Adventure, complete with a near-drowning, lots of violence, pirates, head-hunters, and the purity of no premarital relations. Very racist unfortunately, which I understand was more "accepted" in the near 100 years ago that it was written, but it ruins the book for me. I've not read any of the Tarzan books, are they similar?
Antony Castellano
The creature dodged back, and the blow that would have crushed its skull grazed a hairbreadth from its face. Waldo struck no second blow, and the cold sweat sprang to his forehead when he realized how nearly he had come to murdering a young girl. "I crave your pardon," he said. "I had no idea that there was a lady here. I am very glad that I did not injure you." But now his attention was required by more pressing affairs -- the cave men were returning to the attack. . .
Rose
great pulp fiction book from the travelogue era. no cover, found it on a stoop in park slope. thought it might be scifi or softcore based on the back cover description, but in fact it's neither.
pretty great fast read thou!
Seth Kenlon
Reading this now. I've read A LOT of ERB, and this so far is his usual great story of a modern person coming face to face with something brutal from humanity's past. ERB is great. Cave girls aren't bad, either.
Tana
I went through a Burroughs phase when I was about 11. I decided I would reread some of them to see what I thought as an adult. Surprisingly this book was entertaining. And an awfully quick read.
Chuck Rollhauser
Tarzan in reverse! A young man is shipwrecked and finds a young woman living with a primitive tribe. Love ensues. Burroughs had his tongue firmly in his cheek when he wrote this gem.
Charles
I love the hero here. He starts as a civilized wimp and ends as a great warrior. This is one of the more humorous of ERB's works, but it works well with the adventure.
Ann
great adventure, holds up well with time
David Spiller
I expected more from Edgar Burroughs
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Moira
Moira marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Andrew Babb
Andrew Babb marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Angela
Angela is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Rae
Rae marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
  • Almuric
  • Conan of the Isles (Conan 12)
  • Prisoner of the Horned Helmet (Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer, #1)
  • Hrolf Kraki's Saga
  • Star Born (Pax/Astra, #2)
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan: The Land That Time Forgot
  • The Man of Bronze (Doc Savage #1)
  • John the Balladeer (Silver John)
  • Conan: Sword of Skelos
  • The City of the Beast or Warriors of Mars (Michael Kane 1)
  • Kalle Blomquist, Eva Lotte und Rasmus
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...
A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1) Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1) The Gods of Mars (Barsoom, #2) The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3) The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1-3)