Start by marking “The Making of Kind of Blue: Miles Davis and His Masterpiece” as Want to Read:
The Making of Kind of Blue: Miles Davis and His Masterpiece

The Making of Kind of Blue: Miles Davis and His Masterpiece

From the moment it was released in 1959, Miles Davis's work was hailed as a jazz classic. This text is an exhaustively researched examination of how this masterpiece was born.
Hardcover, First Edition, 236 pages
Published October 1st 2000 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Making of Kind of Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Making of Kind of Blue

William1
To think it took just two days in 1959 to record this masterwork. Most of the players get a mini-biography. These are fine in the case of Miles Davis, Bill Evans, and Cannonball Adderley, but too meager in the case of John Coltrane and all but nonexistent for bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Jimmy Cobb. The most interesting part of the book for me was the discussion of George Russell's "Lydian Chromatic Concept for Tonal Organization," a sophisticated modal theory of music which greatly influen ...more
Karl
Aug 08, 2016 Karl rated it it was amazing
An excellent book. Eric Nisenson's "The Making of Kind of Blue: Miles Davis and His Masterpiece" compleatly and exhaustively covers Miles Davis's 1959 landmark album, "Kind of Blue".

Mr.Nisenson who also wrote"Ascension: John Coltrane and His Quest" examines every note and all of the background detail is discussed in this tribute to the bestselling jazz album of all time. The strengths of this book exist in his dedication to set the recording in of this work in it's social, cultural and historic
Doug Bright
Apr 20, 2014 Doug Bright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of Jazz this will be a fun read of the pivotal time and players of when Jazz made the transition from the Bop of the forties to the smooth jazz sound of the sixties. Great sketches of the players on " Kind of Blue" the transcendent work of the transition. For the casual jazz fan the book gets a little too " inside baseball" and a little self- indulgent and verbose. As Miles Davis himself said: " You don't have to play all the notes, just the pretty ones."
The description of the a
Jon
Nov 15, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving it four stars, but that may be partly because I love the music so much. Is there a more evocative and important sonic footprint than Miles' muted trumpet on "Blue in Green?" I haven't come across a sound that pensive and soulful ever, anywhere. The author knows the music, and seems to have been a friend of Miles. He may get a bit over-serious, especially in linking the music with the young civil rights movement - was every black jazz musician trying to channel 400 years of oppression ...more
Stuart Elliott
Sep 28, 2014 Stuart Elliott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
Kind of Blue is not only Miles Davis' masterpiece, it is the best selling jazz album ever. It is the one jazz album most likely to be a favorite of non-jazz fans and one of the best to give to introduce a friend to jazz.

Eric Nisenson has written a very interesting book on the making of the album, covering not only Miles, but also George Russell, Bill Evans, John Coltrane, and Cannonball Adderly.

If this is one of your favorite albums, as it mine, there is a good chance you will not only enjoy th
Chavon
Jan 03, 2016 Chavon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can't continue to read this book. Having read Davis' autobiography I'm well versed in him as an individual and an artist. Kind of Blue is very technical in it's language and unless you're a musician or someone well versed in musical terms...I think it's hard for a reader to connect with this book. Otherwise I think it's well written and I would have enjoyed it more if I were a musician.
Eben
Aug 02, 2007 Eben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most amazing album ever. This book gives insight into this recording. Read while sipping hot coffee, listening to the record (vinyl) on a cold, rainy Sunday morning. Then you will hear the note between the note!
Robyn
Mar 25, 2014 Robyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great background story to a wonderful album, and definitely worth a read for lovers of the music, but I'm not a fan of Nisenson's writing style (particularly his incessant reference to "jazzmen").
milton
Feb 13, 2007 milton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another good book on the greatest album in the world. not as good as ashley kahn's but still worth the read.
Marti
Dec 14, 2013 Marti marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I didn't actually read it - it expired before I had a chance, and I can't find a way to delete it from goodreads. Will re-request it soon, tho!
Bruinrefugee
Tells a good tale while explaining the musical theory behind the album -- which seems interesting, but I'm not sure I really understood.
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2012
Nick Di
Nick Di rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Allie
Allie rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2007
Kevin Harewood
Kevin Harewood rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2007
Mishka
Mishka rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2007
Samy
Sep 19, 2015 Samy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is that what you wanted, Alfred?
Tdterrilldee
Tdterrilldee rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Mel
Mel rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2011
Joe Miller
Joe Miller rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2009
Russell Levine
Russell Levine rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2013
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2012
Tamara
Tamara rated it it was ok
Aug 20, 2007
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Chet Ozmun
Chet Ozmun rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2017
Dash Williams
Apr 20, 2016 Dash Williams rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
There came a point when I just wanted this book to end.
Ira
Ira rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2012
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2008