Start by marking “Ángeles rebeldes (El círculo secreto, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ángeles rebeldes (El círculo secreto, #2)

Ángeles rebeldes (Gemma Doyle #2)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  72,745 Ratings  ·  2,972 Reviews
Ha pasado ya un tiempo desde que Gemma estuvo por última vez en los reinos. Si embargo, una visita inesperada a la Academia Spence la llevará de vuelta al mundo mágico: Kartik, el guapo y misterioso miembro de los Rakshana que acechaba a Gemma en el primer volumen, le ha pedido que regrese y ate la magia que quedó libre la última vez, antes de que caiga en las manos equivo ...more
Rústico, 462 pages
Published May 2007 by Ed. Molino (first published August 23rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ángeles rebeldes, please sign up.

Elias I haven't read this series yet, but Libba Bray is a terrific author and everyone says that Rebel Angels is much better than AGATB.

Maddie Dix
Mar 22, 2008 Maddie Dix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
May 27, 2008 Shannon (Giraffe Days) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, 2007
I think the story is getting even more interesting, and also a bit sad. It didn't take me long to read it either! Truly, these are such fun books, and the world behind the door of light is getting more and more interesting. In this sequel to A Great and Terrible Beauty, set two months after, a new, mysterious teacher has arrived at Spence, three ghostly girls are trying to give Gemma a message, and Kartik tells Gemma she must find the Temple and bind the magic that she let loose when she broke t ...more
Jan 02, 2008 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who liked A Great and Terrible Beauty
Shelves: 2007-08
548 pages (counts as two books)
My opinions on this book changed with almost every chapter. When I first started, I was somewhat disappointed. What I liked so much about the first book in the series, A Great and Terrible Beauty, was how realistic the dialogue and narration was for the time period. I felt like the voice of the main character, Gemma, was believable for the 1800s. It seemed to me that Gemma lost some of her credibility in the second book. She had more of a modern "teenagery" tone (
In this is sequel to Libba Bray's excellent YA fantasy novel, A Great and Terrible Beauty, Gemma, Felicity and Anne venture to London over the Christmas holidays. Gemma finds a new love interest among the peerage and Felicity and Anne undertake a daring deception about Anne's social status. Amid the social whirl they continue to venture into the magical land of the realms, seeking to escape the strictures of their lives. But Circe's agents are closing in, hunting Gemma and a way to claim the mag ...more
Emma  Blue
Feb 13, 2009 Emma Blue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Jul 01, 2009 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the first book it was good enough to keep reading the other books although I didn't love it. I really liked the second book, but after the whole series was finished I was rather disappointed. I thought the story was compelling, but if you're looking for a book appropriate for you teenage girls I didn't think this was it. There are far too many points of view that conflicted with my beliefs. I really wanted to like these books, but after the insertion on homosexuality (hinted at in ...more
Jul 22, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I love the entire series. I found them first in seventh grade, but the third one hadn't come out yet. I was scanning my middle school library's shelves, when I noticed an interesting cover near one of my favorite book series. I read the back and I thought the plot was interesting. So I decided to give it a chance and read it. I thought they were great. I mean, I really didn't consider them as some of my favorite books. Eventually, I went on with my life and sort of forgot about ...more
Sep 02, 2008 Summer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG. Okay. I have to get The Sweet Far Thing. Like. now. Blast... it's only in hardcover... I don't know what to do. My brain isn't working.

So far I love this series way too much to be healthy. You know you've got me hooked when I start going all delusional and forget that there is this thing called reality, and that I shouldn't be sitting in bed with my eyes closed trying to picture a door of light.

But more than just the fantastical element... I really enjoyed how much more we learned about th
Mar 24, 2009 Kei rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who hated Twilight for its anti-feminism
Recommended to Kei by: People who hated Twilight for its alleged anti-feminism
Find the bloody Temple and bind the stupid magic already! All of the contrived riddles and guessing games, near death experiences, etc., just didn't do it for me because this story has been drawn-out with other filler stories just to make the book unnecessarily thick. Oooh 548 pages...why not go for an even 600? Just add another meaningless event, like Simon tells Gemma more juicy gossip or take her on a shoplifting spree.

This one wasn't as enthralling as the first book in the trilogy (A Great
Beth F.
So I emailed a friend today and explained that the only way I could think of to describe this series was to imagine tossing Mean Girls & The Craft (both of the cheesy teen movie persuasion) into a blender with the whole Harry Potter English boarding school concept just to see what comes out. And what results is an addicting, fast-paced story that is difficult to put down.

I’m actually a bit shocked by how engrossing this story has become. Libba Bray wields literary red herrings quite masterf
Jul 13, 2009 kaitlyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dec 03, 2009 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed "Rebel Angels" just as much as I did its predecessor - "A Great and Terrible Beauty."

In this book Bray continues exploring constraints of Victorian society, and their suffocating effects on young women's lives. This time we go beyond the borders of the finishing school - Gemma, Felicity, and Ann are in London for their Christmas holidays. We accompany them to opera, ball, and various social events. To add to already dark Gothic atmosphere of the story, we visit an insane asylum and an
Jun 29, 2010 Stray rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original Title:Rebel Angels
Publisher, year: Simon and Schuster, 2007
Page total:548
Date Read: june 27-28
Genre/s: YA, fantasy, paranormal, historical fiction
First line of Book:"Herein lies the faithful and true account of my last sixty days, by Kartik, brother of Amar, loyal son of the Rakshana, and of the strange visitation I received that has left me wary on this cold English night."
Review: This is a relatively good sequel to A GREAT AND
Jan 27, 2011 Lowed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2011
I'm surprised she did not see it coming! If you have read my review of the first book, you'd see at how I might be inconsistent with it. With a really good prose [this time], this is an excellent follow up of the first book.

It's good seeing the development of the characters, although I still think they are a hateful bunch. But it was still nice enough to make me want to read the last book in the series.!
Jan 01, 2011 Priscilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Check out my video review:
Why do I like Rebel Angels so much more than A Great And Terrible Beauty?

That's easy: Balls.

Not THOSE kinds of balls. These kinds:

Maybe because all those par-tays made the pace of the novel seem faster and the story more compelling. But, also, we get to see Gemma interact with her family and the snooty-high-society all around her. This makes for some excellent characterization of both the major and secondary characters.

Would this series have been able to sustain itself without a love-triangle?
Jan 13, 2013 Kassidy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Loved it!! *4.5*

At first I was kind of on the fence about it, but the last 100 pages were awesome, and totally captivated me.

-The depth of the relationships between Gemma, Felicity, and Ann. I enjoyed seeing Felicity grow and show a more vulnerable side.
-The change in Gemma. I felt she really matured and stepped up to the plate in the end and I feel more connected to her than I did in the first book.
-The love interests. Now she has Simon and Kartik. I went back and forth on who I was root
Moira Russell
I loved the GR reviewer's crack that this series was like a mashup of The Craft + Mean Girls in Harry Potter. My take on it just as I was settling into the second book was "Picnic at Hanging Rock on acid." In this one, the Magickal Rules are still just about as bad as the Magickal Geography, there are several entirely unbelievable visits to Bedlam, an OPIUM DEN, a suitor offering absinthe at a get the idea. But the adolescent female characters are all well-drawn and I love how their ...more
Jul 05, 2016 Cath rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars.
Okay, so I reread the first book in this trilogy a few months ago. So I thought I'd continue the series and read this book for the first time!

I really like the first book so I was really hoping that this book wouldn't disappoint and it didn't! I really enjoyed this.
This book was so action packed and those last 100 pages or so were so intense oh my lord, so much was happening.

Gemma, man do I love Gemma. She's so kick ass and brave, I really like her. As well as her friendship with Fel
Ben Alderson
Feb 23, 2014 Ben Alderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
finished this book after many days of putting it off! i did enjoy this book!
I liked this book less than book 1, A Great and Terrible Beauty, probably because it felt as though the author decided to add a few heaping spoonfuls of More Social Issues to a book that didn't need them. Book 1's take on feminism and ways that teenage girls suck toward each other and themselves was a bit heavy-handed and artless, but certainly in line with general expectations of the genre. And therein, perhaps, lies the problem. I think we may have a case of an author who decided she wanted to ...more
lauren kellie
Rebel Angels did a lot more for me than its precursor, A Great and Terrible Beauty . This I'm mainly going to attribute to the London setting, which I loved probably too much.
Libba's Victorian London was dark and interesting, and you got to see a lot of it, which I really appreciated. Her London society, however, I found a little wobbly and lacking at certain points, but it still gave the story an enjoyable twist.

One thing I do like about this series is that it addresses certain issues that are
Jan 27, 2015 Caitlyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have a strict rating policy: if I did not finish a book, I won't give it a rating because how is that even fair to the author or the book?
This is one of those rare cases where that policy doesn't apply (for multiple reasons).

I trudged through A Great and Terrible Beauty, and I mean trudged, and at the end of it I had a few main concerns. The characters were so FLAT and boring. I just didn't bring myself to care about a single one of them. The writing was dreadfully lackluster, I didn't care i
Megan (YABookers)
I really loved Rebel Angels, much more than A Great and Terrible Beauty. It was magical, enchanting and truly captivating. I really love Gemma, and I think she is pretty damn awesome. She is intelligent, brave and curious and I think she had some great character development. The same can be said with Ann and Felicity, and while I sometimes dislike them, I have to admire they are pretty great characters. Pippa was a character which really surprised me in Rebel Angels and I can't wait to read more ...more
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Re-read! :) On to the final book and all the feels and to hope that it ends differently this time around. o_O
Alice Lippart
A fascinating and exciting sequel.
Jun 24, 2016 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-must-read
This is typical second book in a series. First 3/4 of it- super boring, the last part- very entertaining. I felt like the first part was just dragged on for no reason (which makes me question why it had to be so long, it could have been 100-150 pages shorter).

I love the atmosphere and the setting in this series. In Rebel Angels it’s still very good- it’s definitely my favorite part. Also, I liked that we got to be outside of school for a while. It was a nice change.

The thing is, I was just simpl
Feb 28, 2016 Pau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid 4. Good job, book.

EDIT (Lengthier review now.)

I started this book. Put it down as it seemed pointless and I wasn't up for sitting through more school room antics. One night, my insomnia kicked in and I remembered that reading helped somewhat. That night I breezed through the entire book. After the last past, I put it down and felt thoroughly satisfied.

Gemma and the Powerpuff girls come back at the same place, but at Christmas time. That bit was boring. Thankfully, the story does not take p
Trina (Between Chapters)
Series review video:

Edit: It's only a few weeks since I read this but I have since finished the series and am lowering my rating of this book from 2 stars to 1 star because the things I found to be problematic were never redeemed and I cannot overlook them.

Original review:
There were more things I didn't like than I liked, which causes it to fall just below a middle of the road rating.

TL;DR - Predictable, run of the mill historical fiction with occasional
Oct 20, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tämä sarja on juuri sellainen, jota tykkään lukea lokakuussa/Halloweenin aikaan. En yhtään tykkää kauhusta, mutta tälläiset vähän creepyt ja tummasävyiset kirjat ovat juuri sopivia. Tuntui, että olin koko kirjan ajan varuillani ja mietin, että keneen voi luottaa ja keneen ei. Rebel Angels on yksi niistä kirjoista, joista ei voi tietää mitä on tekeillä ja ketkä ovat hyviä tai pahoja.

(view spoiler)
HMSA Reads: Book Review: Rebel Angels 2 7 Aug 22, 2016 09:27PM
Around the Year i...: Rebel Angels, by Libba Bray 1 8 Jun 05, 2016 02:58AM
Simon 3 46 Sep 19, 2015 05:44AM
2016 Reading Chal...: Rebel Angels by Libba Bray 3 24 May 02, 2015 12:07PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 23, 2015 08:58AM
Reading Addicts: Rebel Angels Buddy Read 24 11 Nov 04, 2014 03:17AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Rebel Angels by Libba Bray - start. Feb 28 2014 47 21 Mar 05, 2014 04:34AM
  • Rumors (Luxe, #2)
  • In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #4)
  • Betraying Season (Leland Sisters, #2)
  • Prisoner of Time (Time Travelers, #3)
  • The Silver Blade (French Revolution, #2)
  • Magic Lessons (Magic or Madness, #2)
  • Pirates!
  • Chime
  • Wolf Wing (Claidi Journals, #4)
  • The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3)
  • Ascendant (Killer Unicorns, #2)
  • Nobody's Prize (Nobody's Princess, #2)
  • The Minister's Daughter
  • Cybele's Secret (Wildwood, #2)
  • Reunion (The Mediator, #3)
  • Valiant: A Modern Faerie Tale (Modern Faerie Tales, #2)
What is it about writing an author bio that gives me that deer-in-headlights feeling? It's not exactly like I'm going to say "I was born in Alabama…" and somebody's going to jump up and snarl, "Oh yeah? Prove it!" At least I hope not.

I think what gets me feeling itchy is all that emphasis on the facts of a life, while all the juicy, relevant, human oddity stuff gets left on the cutting room floor.
More about Libba Bray...

Gemma Doyle (3 books)
  • A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1)
  • The Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle, #3)

“Sometimes we seek that which we are not yet ready to find.” 646 likes
“What if evil doesn't really exist? What if evil is something dreamed up by man, and there is nothing to struggle against except out own limitations? The constant battle between our will, our desires, and our choices?” 624 likes