Start by marking “Reckless (Highland Brides, #3)” as Want to Read:
Reckless  (Highland Brides, #3)

Reckless (Highland Brides #3)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  1,238 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Heir to the clan MacFarlane, Ailis was a prize to be bartered by her calculating father, and her wedding to a man she despised seemed inevitable—until she is abducted by her clan’s worst enemy, Alexander MaDubh, a brutally handsome laird with ice in his eyes and hot blood in his veins.

Alexander had come riding into Leargan to claim the three children born of a forbidden lo
Published September 1st 2004 by Zebra (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Reckless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reckless

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenDreams Come True by Bridgitte LesleyOutlander by Diana GabaldonLeon and Esther by Dorothy May MercerSuddenly You by Lisa Kleypas
Best Romance Authors Ever
44th out of 255 books — 194 voters
Never Love a Highlander by Maya BanksIn Bed with a Highlander by Maya BanksSuddenly You by Lisa KleypasGentle Rogue by Johanna LindseyThe Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn
Pregnant Heroines in historical romance
36th out of 117 books — 133 voters

More lists with this book...

Elis Madison
I've said it before and I'll say it again—I have no problem with a story where I hate one of the protagonists for part of the book. Those kinds of books can be powerful and dramatic, and so long as the hateful person pulls his or her head out of that nether orifice before the HEA, it's all good. But if they do something really dastardly, then I damn well need to see some groveling before the HEA. This is one of those books that left me with issues.

So here's the storyline:

Ailis MacFarlane is th
Elle
Nov 12, 2011 Elle rated it really liked it
Ailis, the only heir to the clan MacFarlane, and betrothed to the repugnant Donald MacCordy, finds herself captive to Alexander MacDubh, a handsome man whose clan has been engaged in a bloody feud with both the MacCordys and MacFarlanes. Once he realizes who he has in his grasp, Alexander decides to exact some revenge on his enemies by ravishing Ailis and sending her home, shamed. He knows that Ailis' uncle is a proud, harsh man, and he'll be shamed and furious to receive Ailis back absent her c ...more
Wyrdness
I honestly want to know if romance authors write this kind of tripe fully believing in it or if they just don't care that they are helping to perpetuate some horrific ways of thinking as long as they're getting paid for it.

A young MacFarlane woman and her niece and nephews are kidnapped by the MacDubh clan because it turns out the children were fathered by the younger (married) brother of that clan's Laird. The Macdubh hate the MacFarlane because the uncle of the young woman somehow arranged to
Jess the Romanceaholic
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
I do not like the kind of stories where you do not like the "hero". Or that you can't say to yourself, "oh, I wish I had him". This one was a complete asshole.

Ok, Alexander rides out to get his brothers 3 bastard children from his enemies, finds lem playing with Ailis & her stuttering huge friend Jamie. He takes them all back to the castle and finds out Ailis is the only heir of one of his enemies & betrothed to another enemy. So he decides he's going to take her chastity. And does.

Now
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Ailis is about to marry a man she despises because her greedy father uses her to build himself up. Alexander, chief of a hated enemy clan, has decided to get his brothers bastard children, but since Ailis has raised them she refuses to be separated from them. With her unexpected presence Alexander can't stop thinking about her spirit, beauty, and wit. The children get to know there father, Ailis' father reaps what he has sown, and love and passion bloom for Alexander and Ailis. Good read!!
Mimi Wolske
This is a REread for me and I know I put Reckless on my To Be ReRead shelf for a reason...because it drew me in from page one, was an enjoyable, page-turning read.

I love Howell's strong male protagonists and this 14th century story has what I'd call a true alpha male -- cruel and sexually abusive to the heroine on meeting...well, he does calm down. The heroine is running from family and an enemy clan -- and with the 3 children (of her dead sister) Ailis is trying to save. Turns out our alpha mal
Michelle
Jun 10, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
After reading a scathing review on Amazon I absolutely had to pick up this novel. I was pleasantly surprised by it. The story surrounds the haunted Alexander MacDubh and the spirited Ailis. A sort of Romeo and Juliet story, but one with a much happier ending. I thought the characters were really well written and believable. A really great story that you can read over and over.
Elke
Jan 28, 2013 Elke rated it really liked it
I'm such a sucker for historical romances with rough knights and handsome alpha men *deep sigh* Oh well, a girl can dream, right? And Hannah Howell definitely knows how to make a girl day dream! I've reread this book and loved it again :)
Remy
Jul 14, 2015 Remy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, after reading this book I decided to read some of the reviews for it (yeah, kinda backwards but whatever), there was a lot of hate for mainly rapist, masochistic, archaic thinking. The whole time I was reading those hate reviews, I couldn't help but disagree.

Okay, yes there was definitely some not so pleasant situations (ie the impending rape and dishonering of the female lead), but this kind of thing was not so uncommon in those times. As one other positive reviewer said, there were no fem
Tami
May 10, 2012 Tami rated it really liked it
One of my favorite Hannah Howell books so far. Though I love all her books and have read dang near ALL of them, they're all pretty much the same. There were things in this book that made it different from her others.

The male lead, Alexander, is kind of a jerk (ok, a major jerk), but as you get to know him, you can understand why. I find it hard to hold it against him. Most of it anyway. This isn't all that different from her other books. He's also somewhat of a rogue as most of the male leads i
tacitus
May 22, 2013 tacitus rated it liked it
Good Historical Accuracy, Passion, and Definitely Emotive!

First, the historical accuracy. It is usually par for the course in historical romances that the hero and heroine are a bit anachronistic, appealing to our modern sensibilities while flitting around in period clothing. In that, so many historical romances are just modern people minus electricity. In this case, however, Howell does a remarkable job writing people as they would have sounded and thought in this time. The characters, includin
Liv
Dec 14, 2013 Liv rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well…this isn't a whimsical story of love with sweeping, leisurely moments of romance. It's more like a story of redemption in the coldest of hearts, and how the fight for love is the worthiest cause of all.

HERO:
I wish it were not so, but Howell delivers a very emotionally wounded and cynical hero. We were first introduced to Alexander "Alex" MacDubh in "His Bonnie Bride (1st book in series) when he and his family visited the McLagan's keep. He was presented as the easy-going and smooth-with-th
Catherine Gomez
Apr 18, 2015 Catherine Gomez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bueno otro libro que compro a ciegas, y con el que me va bien. La verdad me gustó, confieso que he descubierto que tengo debilidad por la Escocia de epoca, clanes y esa cosas. Me gustó que Ailis fuera una dura, amo a las protagonistas que son fuertes.
Me parece que el libro está bien mmm descrito. Me hubiese gustado ver más Moragh, de Kate y Jaime, y de Malcolm y Giorsal. Y bueno amé a Alexander aunque a veces fuera muy tozudo. En fin, una buen lectura para pasar el rato ;)
Hortensia
Jul 13, 2015 Hortensia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odios, rencores, pasiones, traiciones, emociones, lealtades... de todo en en esta novela, que dicho sea de paso es la que más me ha gustado de esta serie (Novias de las Highlands).
Debería de haber una cuarta parte, en mi opinión, porque falta la historia de uno de los hermanos MacLagan. Espero encontrarla algún día porque me encantaría leer lo que sucedió con Sholto.
20012206
Sep 17, 2016 20012206 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016-120
Por fin acabé esta serie, aunque me hubiera gustado uno del tercer hermano de Travis

Este creo que es el mejor de todos, ella es una luchadora y él me cayó bien desde los libros anteriores, pero me pareció que le faltaba un poco mostrar porque se volvio un HP.

También me hubiera gustado que apareceran asi sea un poco los protagonistas de los libros anteriores
K
Jul 07, 2013 K rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of series
Recommended to K by: found on author's website
I was excited to find out this was going to be Alexander's story, as I really liked his character in the previous books. What I wasn't prepared for was how dark, brooding, and hardened his character had become. Although I had high hopes for this book, I could not give it more than 3 stars. Although I liked the story, I thought it was very repetitive of the second book, and that it was like reading the same story as the last book but w/ a different H and H. A part of me admired the heroine's dete ...more
Donna Campbell
Feb 21, 2015 Donna Campbell rated it really liked it
I almost did not like Alexander for so long that it almost "recked" the book--Ailis was so powerful it balanced it. She forgave him WAY too easily though. Another well done Highland novel. And that is getting hard to say.
connie brunette
Nov 15, 2015 connie brunette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome ending to the series

Having Alexander fall for his enemies niece was brilliant
Mary
5 star

I couldn't set the book down. It was truly amazing. Had all the elements I think make a good book. Definitely a must read
Patricia Wissore
Jan 10, 2016 Patricia Wissore rated it it was amazing
Loved this one!
Leah

Holy crap, this book has thrown my emotions into a blender and just whipped it around like it ain't no thang. I have no words. I might eventually be able to edit this and write a proper review, but for now, just know that this book is unexpected. It makes you happy, sad as hell, pissed as fuck, and excited. All at once. ALL THE FEELINGS.
Meg Kinch
I don't believe I've ever truly disliked a hero of Hannah Howell's books as I have this hero. While the overall story was good, along with plot and some characters, I found the hero to be overwhelmingly rude and uncouth. I felt the heroine put up with far too much with his constant insults and condescension. And even though it all worked out in the end, I still felt the heroine dearly deserved so much better.
Kasumi
Jan 23, 2012 Kasumi rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
It had too many "plain" characters, but I really like the love story.

A pesar de tener demasiados personajes que apenas se desarrollan y que parece que aparezcan sólo para dar su frase y desaparecer (incluidos los sobrinos que justifican el secuestro inicial), tantos que me dieron la impresión de que la autora trató de abarcar demasiados frentes, la historia de amor entre ellos me gustó y por ella terminé el libro.
Amandapanda
Dec 20, 2011 Amandapanda rated it liked it
Scooper Speaks
May 19, 2012 Scooper Speaks rated it liked it
Shelves: re-read
Reread 1/2013 Why do I do this to myself?

I hated the hero of this book. He was a major ass throughout the story. The heroine knew she was going to be raped and decided to try and find pleasure instead of fight him. The hero knew that even if the heroine fought him he was going to have sex with her.
Kashii
Jan 16, 2015 Kashii rated it liked it
After thoroughly enjoying Alexander's character in Highland wedding i was disappointed with how he was written in his own novel. i can understand people change but what happened to him between highland wedding and reckless was never clearly explained so i found i couldn't really enjoy the read
Cruth
Jan 08, 2013 Cruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
It's a good, solid book but there has to come a point when she says "enough is enough" and stops laying her heart before him to stomp all over. And the interesting background characters were dumped mid-development.

Jenny
Sep 26, 2013 Jenny rated it did not like it
The main couple didn't even spent time together plus I hated the heroine with a passion! She was a cheater! What a disappointment after reading the amazing "Highland Wedding"!
Diana
Feb 16, 2008 Diana rated it liked it
Lady Ailis is mistakenly kidnapped with her deceased sister's children, and falls in love with her captor.

Pretty good. A little uncomfortable at times.
  • His Bonnie Bride (Highland Brides, #1)
  • Highland Hearts

Highland Brides (3 books)
  • His Bonnie Bride (Highland Brides, #1)
  • Highland Wedding (Highland Brides, #2)