Start by marking “Weather Child” as Want to Read:
Weather Child

Weather Child

Step back in time and sideways into an alternate world, where magicians and seraphim are found only on the shores of the Long White Cloud. Between two world wars, Jack and Faith find themselves unravelling a conspiracy to turn the Awakened children of Aoteroa to dark purposes.
Audiobook
Published July 31st 2009

To ask other readers questions about Weather Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weather Child

Melissa Hayden
Wow. Philippa Ballantine has awakened a rarely heard legend in the vibrant world of New Zealand. Drawing to the forefront a seraphim and magic, in first generations born into the land, that many Urban Fantasy fans will fall for. A serial killer is on the lose and seraphim and their hosts are not safe. Fresh and traces of old blended together for our enjoyment.

****FULL REVIEW****
Not only does New Zealands residents have to worry about fighting the war over seas for England but also the w
DDog
Jun 29, 2010 DDog rated it it was amazing
Yet another of Philippa Ballantine's books that made me cry at the end. The characters were very solid and I quickly became invested in their doings. The way the POV shifts between chapters to give a more full view of the unfolding situation yet not merely repeat anything you already saw is executed extremely skillfully.

This book is another in the growing pile of evidence that the author has an incredibly broad range and isn't afraid to explore her talents in new ways. Weather Child has some sim
Doc
May 17, 2011 Doc rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
All power comes at a price. Magical power doubly so. Weather Child is Philippa Ballantine's tale of magic and power and the lengths that some will go to gain more than their fair share.

Each child born in New Zealand has the chance to become bonded to a Seraphim, in a bond formed out of pain. With the bond comes a constant companion and the chance to tap into the power of the seraphim. But the price of that power is pain. And if one taps the power too deeply or too often, madness.

Weather Child te
Lianne Burwell
I'm a little conflicted on this books. First of all, I love Pip Ballantine's writing, and as a novel, this is pretty weak compared to her other novels. For one thing, it reads more like a series of short stories tossed together, especially with the long breaks between sections (mainly due to one of the main characters being locked up/trapped in a coma/etc).

The magic system was very intriguing, and the idea of a world where only New Zealand produces magic-users is certainly original.

I just wished
Robert
Jun 06, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first came to the word "seraph", a word loaded with biblical and religious baggage, I nearly didn't bother to read any further. Whether there really is a New Zealand myth about seraphim I have not been able to determine, so I still wish she had used another word. I'm glad I persevered, however, because this is an emotion-charged, action-packed story well worth reading. There have been other books about human symbionts - Heinlein's "Puppetmasters" springs to mind, but this book brings out ...more
Bob
Nov 18, 2009 Bob rated it really liked it
Likes: Engrossing imagery, characters, and plot. Interesting use of gender while avoiding traditional gender roles, even for the genre. I'm not usually drawn in to fantasy, but the magic seemed to fit so naturally with the real-world setting of post-WWI New Zealand that I was hooked.

Dislikes: Many significant plot points that build the otherwise rich character arcs occur in rushed sequences or between chapters. Minor point: I would have liked the exposition that enabled Lily's role in the plot
Jodi
Aug 12, 2009 Jodi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: podcast
Listening to Philippa's podcasts is like getting hooked on a drug. You just can't seem to get enough of it. This story had me intrigued and glued to my I-Pod throughout. She is such a good story teller and I recommend every book of hers that I've ever read or listened to and I think that's pretty much all of them.
In this story she has again woven magic and locations that the reader would be familiar with and made them into a fantasy land that you want to go back to again and again.
Jolie
Mar 27, 2015 Jolie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, after reading the Kindle sample I bought the paper version and finally, finally got around to reading it. Another example of didn't want to put it down, somewhat devoured it reading. Good stuff. Want more of the story!

Clearly too many things going on in my brain. I haven't finished reading this yet, but what I read in a kindle sample made me want to but the paper copy. I'm looking forward to reading the entire book!
Cameron
Jan 18, 2010 Cameron rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural, fantasy
I really enjoyed the adventure that Weather Child led me on. I enjoyed meeting and learning about the characters and that it made me do a little research into the real world post-WWI New Zealand. And Phillipa has a really lovely reading voice.
At times the story seemed a little cluttered though, with bits and pieces that would have made lovely books of their own being just a part of the book as a whole.
Valerie Griswold-Ford
Jan 14, 2011 Valerie Griswold-Ford rated it it was amazing
Weather Child is currently my favorite Philippa Ballantine book, although Geist is coming close. I love the way she weaves history and magic together, and I love the voice work in the podcast. I have high hopes that this is available at some point in print, because I will certainly be buying a copy!
Goran
Aug 01, 2009 Goran rated it really liked it
Great Book with great writing and a compelling story. The narration of the audiobook is simply top notch.

The only thing that prevented me from giving it the 5 stars it deserves was that it did not touch me as so few books do.

A great read and I highly recommend it.
Kristjan
Mar 06, 2013 Kristjan rated it really liked it
Podiobook Version: Very polished production +1 star

It was a solid good vs evil story that I truly enjoyed; along with an interesting system of magic based upon sacrifice an symbiotic relationships.
Jon
Aug 03, 2009 Jon rated it it was amazing
Definitely worth the listen. A very dark fantasy, but really evoked a feeling of the time and the world.
Andy
Andy rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2013
P.C. Haring
P.C. Haring rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2015
Solace
Solace rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2011
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Michelle Redmond
Michelle Redmond rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2012
Bobbi Piles
Jun 29, 2013 Bobbi Piles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I don't know what else to say but wow, I love this book!
Derek
Derek rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2011
Christa Stein
Christa Stein rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2012
Michael Spence
Michael Spence rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2009
Wendy McDonnell
Sep 13, 2012 Wendy McDonnell rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite authors!
Antonio Peraza
Antonio Peraza rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2013
Mark Harris
Mark Harris rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Sy Harris
Sy Harris rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Robert C
Robert C rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2009
Pene Geard
Pene Geard rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Katrina
Katrina rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2011
Glenn
Glenn rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana (Book 1)
  • The Case of the Singing Sword
  • Nina Kimberly the Merciless
  • Hell
  • Murder at Avedon Hill
  • The Hidden Institute (Noblesse Oblige, #1)
  • The Gearheart
  • Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era
  • Ravenwood (Tanyth Fairport, #1)
  • World Well Lost (The Secret World Chronicle, #3)
  • Eden
  • Chupacabra's Song (Magic ex Libris)
  • Lies and Prophecy (Wilders #1)
Born and raised in Wellington, New Zealand, Philippa is a writer and podcaster of fantasy fiction.
Immersed in books from an early age, she moved onto to become a librarian. She'd been dreaming of being a writer since a teenager, but in the last ten years she's devoted herself to it.
She's the author of the Books of the Order series from Ace Books. Geist, Spectyr, Wrayth (2012) and Harbinger (2013)
More about Philippa Ballantine...