Start by marking “A Wizard in Absentia (Rogue Wizard, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Wizard in Absentia (Rogue Wizard, #1)

A Wizard in Absentia (Rogue Wizard #1)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  495 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Magnus leaves Gramarye to seek own fame and fortune. On asteroid Maxima, he psychically persuades d'Armand relatives to reconcile, despite tempting blue-eyed blonde cousin Pelisse, also heir to dying uncle. Similar blonde Allouene recruits Magnus as SCENT agent like dad Rod.

On planet Taxhaven, hunted slave Ian 10 falls into 'Stone Egg' Safety Base, then apprentices to Mag
Published March 1993 by Charter Berkley Ace

To ask other readers questions about A Wizard in Absentia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wizard in Absentia

Jen
Apr 01, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
I first encountered young Magnus when I read A Wizard in Mind which purported itself to be the first book of the Rogue Wizard series. As you can see from my review, I was rather confused by the already established relationship between Magnus and his ship, Hermiker. I was also annoyed at the introduction where Magnus discusses SCENT.

So, I decided to start at the beginning with A Wizard in Absentia (Rogue Wizard, #1), and I am glad that I did. This book filled in the much-needed background informa
Al "Tank"
Feb 27, 2012 Al "Tank" rated it it was amazing
Magnus has left Graymarye in his father’s ship, with Fess, his cybernetic companion. Still a powerful esper, he keeps it hidden.

Reading this story, I was somewhat disappointed that all the magic and the Medieval society were no longer part of the story. But when I got into the book, I forgot about that and had a good time. Actually, this is better than the last book in the Graymarye saga. Stasheff seemed to be running out of ideas and his decision to tell another story centered around Magnus see
An Odd1
Mar 12, 2014 An Odd1 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ian 10, hunted by Count, accidentally falls into the Stone Egg aka "Safety Base Forty-three ready to function as you command" p 24, finds food and shelter. 1/3 book wasted while Magnus meets relatives on claustrophobic asteroid Maxima. Bits of Ian's tale intersperse until Magnus, as mercenary Gar Pike, rescues Ian for his apprentice.

Fun parts are like Louis L'Amour western combat, blow by blow fights in person, and destroying enemies. Confusing Magnus aka Gar aka Captain Pike p 210. Magnus defe
Rob
Apr 23, 2016 Rob rated it liked it
Started off a bit rough but came together in the end If you start it don't give up , it will get better, in fact i think that my problem with the start was that I had not read any of the warlock series before to give me a better reference as to what was going on.
Veronica Molina
Jan 22, 2016 Veronica Molina rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Me pareció un libro con ideas interesantes pero no tan bien escrito.
Llegó a mí entre los restos que dejó la ola cuando fui a rescatar libros en una biblioteca que dio de baja una gran colección de libros principalmente en inglés.
Cassi Ward
May 23, 2015 Cassi Ward rated it it was amazing
One of the best series, I have read. It gives a great overview of different types of governments, all on planets, in this sci-fi series.
Marty
I'm always pleasantly surprised when I re-read a story from my childhood and it still holds up. I remember it being a smidge cheesy at the time, so I was genuinely concerned that the time that had passed would make it terribly cheesy.

Thankfully, that is not the case. It's still a smidge cheesy, but just a smidge. The plot and concepts are interesting, and the storyline is fun and easy to follow.
Brent Moffitt
Jan 25, 2015 Brent Moffitt rated it liked it
Amusing, but simple. A little too black and white - not enough shades of gray. The hero is just a little too perfect even though there are references to a darker side, it has little or no affect on him.
Patty
Sep 14, 2008 Patty rated it really liked it
The start of Magnus' adventures made you wonder what to expect of this series. In a few books, you get the idea, but his books are never dull...you wonder just how Magnus will get out of the next mess!
C.G.
The first of the Magnus stand-alone series, although written almost 15 years after "A Wizard in Bedlam" so there is some repetition of circumstances.
Frank Taranto
Oct 05, 2009 Frank Taranto rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Just fun.
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
José Martins
José Martins marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Stephanie Duffrin
Stephanie Duffrin marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Catherine Wright
Catherine Wright marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Dylan
Dylan rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Timothy Howell
Timothy Howell marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Mitchell Kozak
Mitchell Kozak rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2016
Tony
Tony rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Apr 08, 2016
Denise Dianaty
Denise Dianaty rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
James Walton
James Walton rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
M Baker
M Baker marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Efreak
Efreak rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
  • Patrimony (Pip & Flinx #13)
  • The X Factor
  • The Modern Magi
  • The Wizard of 4th Street (Wizard, #1)
  • Wickedly Ever After (Baba Yaga, #2.5)
  • The Enchanter Reborn
  • The Return of Retief (Retief, #12)
  • Steamboat Gothic
  • The Man with a Thousand Names
  • Xenopath (Bengal Station, #2)
  • War of the Maelstrom (Changewinds, #3)
  • Pretender
Christopher Stasheff published his first novel, The Warlock in Spite of Himself, in 1969. He is often credited as one of the founders of the "science fantasy" genre. Over the next forty years, he wrote 44 novels, 29 short stories, and edited 7 anthologies. His most popular works are the Warlock of Gramarye series and its spin-offs, the Wizard in Rhyme series, and the Starship Troupers.

Stasheff has
More about Christopher Stasheff...

Rogue Wizard (10 books)
  • A Wizard in Mind (Rogue Wizard, #2)
  • A Wizard in Bedlam (Rogue Wizard, #3)
  • A Wizard in War (Rogue Wizard, #4)
  • A Wizard in Peace (Rogue Wizard, #5)
  • A Wizard in Chaos (Rogue Wizard, #6)
  • A Wizard in Midgard (Rogue Wizard, #7)
  • A Wizard and a Warlord (Rogue Wizard, #8)
  • A Wizard in the Way (Rogue Wizard, #9)
  • A Wizard in a Feud (Rogue Wizard, #10)