Start by marking “A Wizard in Absentia (Rogue Wizard, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Wizard in Absentia (Rogue Wizard, #1)

A Wizard in Absentia (Rogue Wizard #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  441 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Magnus leaves Gramarye to seek own fame and fortune. On asteroid Maxima, he psychically persuades d'Armand relatives to reconcile, despite tempting blue-eyed blonde cousin Pelisse, also heir to dying uncle. Similar blonde Allouene recruits Magnus as SCENT agent like dad Rod.

On planet Taxhaven, hunted slave Ian 10 falls into 'Stone Egg' Safety Base, then apprentices to Mag
Published March 1993 by Charter Berkley Ace

To ask other readers questions about A Wizard in Absentia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wizard in Absentia

Jen
I first encountered young Magnus when I read A Wizard in Mind which purported itself to be the first book of the Rogue Wizard series. As you can see from my review, I was rather confused by the already established relationship between Magnus and his ship, Hermiker. I was also annoyed at the introduction where Magnus discusses SCENT.

So, I decided to start at the beginning with A Wizard in Absentia (Rogue Wizard, #1), and I am glad that I did. This book filled in the much-needed background informa
Al
Magnus has left Graymarye in his father’s ship, with Fess, his cybernetic companion. Still a powerful esper, he keeps it hidden.

Reading this story, I was somewhat disappointed that all the magic and the Medieval society were no longer part of the story. But when I got into the book, I forgot about that and had a good time. Actually, this is better than the last book in the Graymarye saga. Stasheff seemed to be running out of ideas and his decision to tell another story centered around Magnus see
An Odd1
Ian 10, hunted by Count, accidentally falls into the Stone Egg aka "Safety Base Forty-three ready to function as you command" p 24, finds food and shelter. 1/3 book wasted while Magnus meets relatives on claustrophobic asteroid Maxima. Bits of Ian's tale intersperse until Magnus, as mercenary Gar Pike, rescues Ian for his apprentice.

Fun parts are like Louis L'Amour western combat, blow by blow fights in person, and destroying enemies. Confusing Magnus aka Gar aka Captain Pike p 210. Magnus defe
Cassi Ward
One of the best series, I have read. It gives a great overview of different types of governments, all on planets, in this sci-fi series.
Brent Moffitt
Amusing, but simple. A little too black and white - not enough shades of gray. The hero is just a little too perfect even though there are references to a darker side, it has little or no affect on him.
Patty
The start of Magnus' adventures made you wonder what to expect of this series. In a few books, you get the idea, but his books are never dull...you wonder just how Magnus will get out of the next mess!
C.G.
The first of the Magnus stand-alone series, although written almost 15 years after "A Wizard in Bedlam" so there is some repetition of circumstances.
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Ricardo Guerrero
Ricardo Guerrero marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Cheryl Shorter
Cheryl Shorter marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Glenn Mcdowell
Glenn Mcdowell marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Logan Blackisle
Logan Blackisle marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Jim B
Jim B marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Helen Baquirin
Helen Baquirin marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Arclance
Arclance marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
  • Patrimony (Pip & Flinx #13)
  • The X Factor
  • The Modern Magi
  • Steamboat Gothic
  • The Enchanter Reborn
  • The Return of Retief (Retief, #12)
  • The Wizard of 4th Street (Wizard, #1)
  • Xenopath (Bengal Station, #2)
  • The Man with a Thousand Names
  • War of the Maelstrom (Changewinds, #3)
Christopher Stasheff published his first novel, The Warlock in Spite of Himself, in 1969. He is often credited as one of the founders of the "science fantasy" genre. Over the next forty years, he wrote 44 novels, 29 short stories, and edited 7 anthologies. His most popular works are the Warlock of Gramarye series and its spin-offs, the Wizard in Rhyme series, and the Starship Troupers.

Stasheff has
More about Christopher Stasheff...

Rogue Wizard (10 books)
  • A Wizard in Mind (Rogue Wizard, #2)
  • A Wizard in Bedlam (Rogue Wizard, #3)
  • A Wizard In War (Rogue Wizard, #4)
  • A Wizard in Peace (Rogue Wizard, #5)
  • A Wizard in Chaos (Rogue Wizard, #6)
  • A Wizard in Midgard (Rogue Wizard, #7)
  • A Wizard and a Warlord (Rogue Wizard, #8)
  • A Wizard in the Way (Rogue Wizard, #9)
  • A Wizard in a Feud (Rogue Wizard, #10)
Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme #1) The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock Series, #1) Escape Velocity (Warlock, #0) The Warlock Unlocked (Warlock, #3) The Oathbound Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #2)