Start by marking “King Kobold Revived (Warlock, #2)” as Want to Read:
King Kobold Revived (Warlock, #2)

King Kobold Revived (Warlock #2)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,227 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Completely revised by the author...the new second book in his warlock Series.

Here's Gramarye, a gentle planet where, in the Thirty-first Century, people choose the life-style of medieval England; except they're prejudiced against and persecute their witches and warlocks (espers, naturally).

Rod Gallowglass (dubbed High Warlock in spite of himself) is stationed there as an a
Published October 15th 1986 by Ace (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about King Kobold Revived, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Kobold Revived

Dawn
Jun 20, 2010 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have actually read both versions of this book--I found the 1st version more in tune with the tone of The Warlock in Spite of Himself, and Revived closer to that of the rest of the series. His editing was a little spotty, but reading the 1st version will also explain a couple other things, such as what Brom was doing in Beastland, even though Galen is mentioned in Warlock Unlocked.

Either way, not his best work, though Baby Magnus is awfully cute!
Matt Kruse
Aug 13, 2015 Matt Kruse rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
This book shifts the series from soft sci-fi to soft fantasy. It's decent overall, but at least at this point it doesn't seem to quite know what it is - is it meant to be more serious, as the overall style seems to indicate, or more tongue in cheek, maybe not so far on that spectrum as the Discworld series, but along those lines, where you just need to ignore the anachronisms and occasionally weak logic?
Jim Razinha
Mar 02, 2014 Jim Razinha rated it really liked it
This came back to me as I read it (30 years and a plethora of books intbe meantime are reason enough for a little literary amnesia), and I remembered enjoying it even as I enjoyed it this time. Very fun. Someday, I hope to run across a copy of the original...Stasheff says it's not the same story and I'm curious as to the differences.

Nice piece in the canon.
Jenny Preston
Apr 28, 2014 Jenny Preston rated it did not like it
As good as the rest of the series is, this book is terrible. I have no earthly idea what happened, but this book missed the mark. I had to practically bribe my husband to finish it and keep moving with the rest of the series instead of just giving up the Warlock. Do yourself a favor and skip to book 3.
Patrick Lemieux
Jun 24, 2013 Patrick Lemieux rated it liked it
Like many readers here, I've read both versions and actually preferred the original. I don't think it was nearly as flawed as its reputation makes it out to be. It's uneven in places and a touch slowly paced, perhaps, but there is a lot great stuff in it. The original is a valid entry in a series that was just getting on its feat.

"Revived" itself is also good and it's not often readers get two different, distinct versions of the same story, so fans will definitely want to read this version in ad
C.G.
This is about the third time I've read this series and won't be doing much reviewing.
John
May 13, 2015 John rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1990 grade C

series book W2
Shawn
Nov 15, 2012 Shawn rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Where I did indeed really enjoy this novel, it is not a great one. It does indeed suffer from several problems. The prominent being telling rather than showing. The action of the novel is skipped over through out which is somewhat annoying I would rather see Rod do these things than here about them after the fact. Yet the characters are still wonderful and charming especially rod and gwen's baby magnus. I plan to read the whole sereis but this one is more on the silly side of life.
Lori
Oct 12, 2011 Lori rated it it was ok
While this one isn't Stasheff at his best, it's still a decent read if you've started the series.

** Please note that depending on where you find this book (which I believe is out of print atm) you can end up with a "different" book; the author was allowed to rewrite the book after the first edition went to print to work in some major edits to the text.
Ariana
Aug 19, 2013 Ariana rated it it was ok
I'm having a hard time putting my finger on why these books a so annoying to me, but I believe that it's the writing style. I really enjoyed the characters, and the plot is decent, but the delivery is rough. I think with a better editor I would enjoy this series much more.
Karen
Jan 23, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
I actually own both this version and the orignal. Each has its own charm. The revised version fits better into the timeline of the series while the original has more of the tone of the early books in the set.
MarsianMan
May 23, 2010 MarsianMan rated it it was ok
Skimmed this because I did not like it as much his other books (even if it is a rewrite to make it better).
Peter
May 11, 2012 Peter rated it liked it
I enjoyed these books..
Ig-88
Jan 06, 2015 Ig-88 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enim qui odit. Labore et sunt in expedita et omnis. Amet iusto cupiditate possimus ad id. Numquam nemo rerum veritatis iusto. Voluptatem est animi explicabo tempore.
Carole
Aug 26, 2011 Carole rated it really liked it
Interesting.
Maria Allen
Maria Allen rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Beau
Beau marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Douglas Campbell
Douglas Campbell rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Kendra Bowdin
Kendra Bowdin rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Mollie
Mollie added it
May 25, 2016
Katie
Katie added it
May 24, 2016
David Huffman
David Huffman rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Jen Rafferty
Jen Rafferty rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Cheryl Shorter
Cheryl Shorter marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Daniel Dillon
Daniel Dillon rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Wim De Ruijter
Wim De Ruijter marked it as to-read
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Delete non existing edition 5 22 Oct 09, 2014 12:29PM
  • Bronwyn's Bane
  • Lightwing
  • Wings of Omen (Thieves' World, #6)
  • Igniting the Reaches
  • The Riders of the Sidhe
  • Beyond Sanctuary (Beyond Series, #1)
  • The Doomfarers of Coramonde (Coramonde, #1)
  • Cluster (Cluster, #1)
  • Where the Evil Dwells
  • Dilvish, the Damned
  • A Knight of Ghosts and Shadows
  • Majipoor Chronicles (Lord Valentine, #2)
  • The Darke Crusade (Lone Wolf, #15)
  • The Da Vinci Hoax: Exposing the Errors in the Da Vinci Code
Christopher Stasheff published his first novel, The Warlock in Spite of Himself, in 1969. He is often credited as one of the founders of the "science fantasy" genre. Over the next forty years, he wrote 44 novels, 29 short stories, and edited 7 anthologies. His most popular works are the Warlock of Gramarye series and its spin-offs, the Wizard in Rhyme series, and the Starship Troupers.

Stasheff has
More about Christopher Stasheff...

Warlock (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Escape Velocity (Warlock, #0)
  • The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock, #1)
  • King Kobold
  • The Warlock Unlocked (Warlock, #3)
  • The Warlock Enraged (Warlock, #4)
  • The Warlock Wandering (Warlock, #5)
  • The Warlock Is Missing (Warlock, #6)
  • The Warlock Heretical (Warlock, #7)
  • The Warlock's Companion (Warlock, #8)
  • The Warlock Insane (Warlock, #9)