Start by marking “King Kobold Revived (Warlock, #2)” as Want to Read:
King Kobold Revived (Warlock, #2)

King Kobold Revived (Warlock #2)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  1,060 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Completely revised by the author...the new second book in his warlock Series.

Here's Gramarye, a gentle planet where, in the Thirty-first Century, people choose the life-style of medieval England; except they're prejudiced against and persecute their witches and warlocks (espers, naturally).

Rod Gallowglass (dubbed High Warlock in spite of himself) is stationed there as an a
Published October 15th 1986 by Ace (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about King Kobold Revived, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Kobold Revived

Dawn
I have actually read both versions of this book--I found the 1st version more in tune with the tone of The Warlock in Spite of Himself, and Revived closer to that of the rest of the series. His editing was a little spotty, but reading the 1st version will also explain a couple other things, such as what Brom was doing in Beastland, even though Galen is mentioned in Warlock Unlocked.

Either way, not his best work, though Baby Magnus is awfully cute!
Jim Razinha
This came back to me as I read it (30 years and a plethora of books intbe meantime are reason enough for a little literary amnesia), and I remembered enjoying it even as I enjoyed it this time. Very fun. Someday, I hope to run across a copy of the original...Stasheff says it's not the same story and I'm curious as to the differences.

Nice piece in the canon.
Jenny Preston
As good as the rest of the series is, this book is terrible. I have no earthly idea what happened, but this book missed the mark. I had to practically bribe my husband to finish it and keep moving with the rest of the series instead of just giving up the Warlock. Do yourself a favor and skip to book 3.
Patrick Lemieux
Like many readers here, I've read both versions and actually preferred the original. I don't think it was nearly as flawed as its reputation makes it out to be. It's uneven in places and a touch slowly paced, perhaps, but there is a lot great stuff in it. The original is a valid entry in a series that was just getting on its feat.

"Revived" itself is also good and it's not often readers get two different, distinct versions of the same story, so fans will definitely want to read this version in ad
C.G.
This is about the third time I've read this series and won't be doing much reviewing.
Shawn
Where I did indeed really enjoy this novel, it is not a great one. It does indeed suffer from several problems. The prominent being telling rather than showing. The action of the novel is skipped over through out which is somewhat annoying I would rather see Rod do these things than here about them after the fact. Yet the characters are still wonderful and charming especially rod and gwen's baby magnus. I plan to read the whole sereis but this one is more on the silly side of life.
Lori
While this one isn't Stasheff at his best, it's still a decent read if you've started the series.

** Please note that depending on where you find this book (which I believe is out of print atm) you can end up with a "different" book; the author was allowed to rewrite the book after the first edition went to print to work in some major edits to the text.
Ariana
I'm having a hard time putting my finger on why these books a so annoying to me, but I believe that it's the writing style. I really enjoyed the characters, and the plot is decent, but the delivery is rough. I think with a better editor I would enjoy this series much more.
Karen
I actually own both this version and the orignal. Each has its own charm. The revised version fits better into the timeline of the series while the original has more of the tone of the early books in the set.
MarsianMan
Skimmed this because I did not like it as much his other books (even if it is a rewrite to make it better).
Peter
I enjoyed these books..
Ig-88
Enim qui odit. Labore et sunt in expedita et omnis. Amet iusto cupiditate possimus ad id. Numquam nemo rerum veritatis iusto. Voluptatem est animi explicabo tempore.
Carole
Interesting.
Christian Köpf
Christian Köpf marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Monika
Monika is currently reading it
May 01, 2015
Miriam
Miriam added it
Apr 30, 2015
Sonny Lee
Sonny Lee marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Delete non existing edition 5 22 Oct 09, 2014 12:29PM
  • Bronwyn's Bane
  • Storm Season (Thieves' World, #4)
  • Lightwing
  • Chaining the Lady (Cluster, #2)
  • Beyond Sanctuary
  • Madwand
  • The Riders of the Sidhe
  • The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • Where the Evil Dwells
  • The Doomfarers of Coramonde (Coramonde, #1)
  • Algorithms in C++, Parts 1-4: Fundamentals, Data Structure, Sorting, Searching
  • Reave the Just and Other Tales
  • Temple of Terror (Fighting Fantasy, #14)
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil (Greyhawk Classics, #5)
Christopher Stasheff published his first novel, The Warlock in Spite of Himself, in 1969. He is often credited as one of the founders of the "science fantasy" genre. Over the next forty years, he wrote 44 novels, 29 short stories, and edited 7 anthologies. His most popular works are the Warlock of Gramarye series and its spin-offs, the Wizard in Rhyme series, and the Starship Troupers.

Stasheff has
More about Christopher Stasheff...

Warlock (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Escape Velocity (Warlock, #0)
  • The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock Series, #1)
  • King Kobold
  • The Warlock Unlocked (Warlock, #3)
  • The Warlock Enraged (Warlock, #4)
  • The Warlock Wandering (Warlock, #5)
  • The Warlock Is Missing (Warlock, #6)
  • The Warlock Heretical (Warlock, #7)
  • The Warlock's Companion (Warlock, #8)
  • The Warlock Insane (Warlock, # 9)
Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme #1) The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock Series, #1) Escape Velocity (Warlock, #0) The Warlock Unlocked (Warlock, #3) The Oathbound Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #2)