Start by marking “Fool's Fate (Tawny Man, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fool's Fate (Tawny Man, #3)

Fool's Fate (Tawny Man #3)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  37,476 ratings  ·  779 reviews
Assassin, spy, and Skillmaster, FitzChivalry Farseer, now known only as man-at-arms Tom Badgerlock, has become firmly ensconced in the queen’s court at Buckkeep. Only a few are aware of his fabled, tangled past—and the sacrifices he made to survive it. And fewer know of his possession of the Skill magic. With Prince
Dutiful, his assassin-mentor Chade, and the simpleminded
Published February 3rd 2004 by Spectra (first published 2003)

If you've made it this far, you probably know what you're getting into when you start a Robin Hobb book. I certainly did, and it doesn't change the fact that my soul is now a heap of shreds on the floor. Oh, is that melodramatic? I don't care! I can count on one hand the number of books that have made me cry, and this is one of them -- twice, in fact, and a few times afterward. My poor soul!

That is not to say that this was a perfect book. I thought the beginning started out rather slowly, so at
This book. Damn. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time! I haven't been this emotionally affected by a book in years. I cried so many times, which is rare for me. It was perfect. Seriously, reading all of Hobb's books is worth it just to get to this one. Perfect! Perfect! Perfect!
So... I don't know how I am supposed to begin writing up a review for this book because never in my whole life have I been as affected and devastated, happy and excited, lonely and angry as I was throughout the adventures of this book. This is my all-time favourite book. It's exceptional. It's leagues ahead of all others (except for The Mad Ship, also by Hobb, which was recently my favourite book... overtaken by another Hobb book!) for so many reasons, and trying to gather my thoughts and rein t ...more
Franco  Santos
«Home is people. Not a place. If you go back there after the people are gone, then all you can see is what is not there any more.»
Puedo decir con total seguridad que este libro es el mejor de Robin Hobb que he leído. Pocas veces una novela supera mis expectativas cuando sé que esta va a ser excelente, sin embargo, desafiando las probabilidades, Fool's fate me demostró que siempre se puede dar un poco más, que siempre Hobb tiene una lágrima o una sonrisa inesperada para darme.

«I told you I set no
Evie Byrne
I was very happy with this series (though I wouldn't recommend anyone read it without reading the Farseer trilogy first). I must have been happy because I read all three books within a week at the cost of many hours of sleep.

However, can I just say to those of you who have read these books that I couldn't really buy the Molly thing? Is anyone with me on this? I understand she represents home and hearth for him (or cave and cubs!) and perhaps his lost youth. But she just wasn't a compelling chara
Bitter sweetness or sweet bitterness...Epic.
I was absolutely crazy when I finished the final, 6th book about The Fool and the Assasin, I couldn`t read, couldn`t sleep, concentrate or communicate with people - I got lost in the thoughts and emotions after absorbing this Story. The funny thing is that currently I spend my summer vacations out of town and without any internet. But after I finished the last pages and the understanding that THIS is the end, no more Fool and Fitz relationship for y
David Sven
A good and satisfying ending to what has become my favourite Hobb trilogy. I thought the ending of the Farseer trilogy was good as well even though many didn’t find it a very fitting ending because a lot of Fitz’ pain and sacrifice went largely unrewarded and unrecognised. But I think even many of those critics would appreciate the end of this series.

Like the last book of the Farseer Trilogy, this book brings us to a dragon-centric quest. An adventure where the hero goes off to slay a dragon. We
What I've come to expect from a Robin Hobb book. That is, it has about twice as many pages as the plot should support, but that's alright. Because the remaining text is filled with essential character development, which is Hobb's greatest strength as a writer. So in that sense, it's a typical book from her. But on the other hand, it's very much its own story, or sub-story of the greater tale of FitzChivalry Farseer.

I won't really comment much on how it wraps up this trilogy, for fear of spoilers
A letter home -

That’s it then, another quest came to an end. Another set of mysteries explained. We went sailing (which Thick was very grateful for) and ice fishing, we made ice castles (though 'labyrinth' would probably cover it better) and we even made a dragon or two fly. The weather wasn't very good, and I probably hadn't packed enough Siberian-inspired winter clothes but I survived, somehow. The food wasn't really good either, but luckily I found an abandoned honey jar on the way.

As always
Dec 31, 2007 Jesse rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of epic fantasy and George R.R. Martin
Shelves: fantasy
I'm going to try not to gush in this review but I am very happy to end 2007 with this book. This book on many occassions brought tears to my eyes as I read momments of great sadness and momments that touch the heart. All of this is interlaced with a brilliant narative, characters that are painfully real feeling, and a world also rendered equally real.

I've savored this book over the last 3-4 months, partly to prolong the experience but also for fear of running out of great fantasy to read. I star
Damian Dubois
I think the last line of Fool's Fate sums up my feelings for the book and the trilogy perfectly.

I am content.

Technically I know I should go onto the Rainwild Traders next but there is a certain other Hobb book that is screaming out to me to read me first - Fool's Assassin. And for the first time I will be basically reading her new book 'live' rather than years after the original release. Can't wait to swim in uncharted waters.
Junkie for the Written Word
I gave this book an extra star because of my overall enjoyment of the Farseer saga. However:

))))))*****Major Spoilers BELOW!****((((((((

I have never wanted someone to be gay so much before in my life. The fact that the relationship between the Fool and Fitz was snatched away and replaced at the very end with Molly was so soul crushing I want to forget it ever happened. I may have to break my "no fanfic" rule and scour the internet for the ending I wanted. Slashfic here I come!

Also, there were m
I have never cried so much reading a book, and now I'm finished i'm dazed and bereft. It is testement to Robin Hobbs incredible imagination and talent that readers can be left feeling the emense weight of loss when the book is completed.

I am deeply in love with the character of the Fool, he is one of the most intriguing, beautiful characters I have found in a story for a long time, and i read ALOT of books!. His relationship with Fitz is heart achingly beautiful, moving and poigniant.

I want to
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I shouldn’t even have to write this review. Fool’s Fate is the last book in Robin Hobb’s TAWNY MAN trilogy, following Fool’s Errand and Golden Fool. If you haven’t read those (and preferably also the earlier FARSEER trilogy), you have no business reading this review. If you have read those books, there is about a 0.00416% chance that you’re not going to pick up Fool’s Fate, so it doesn’t matter what I say here.

But, since you are here, for whatever reason,
While originally I thought I might have erred by going from the Farseers trilogy to the Tawny man, I don't know if I could have handled being broken out of Fitz's life to go through the Liveship Traders. I couldn't part with this story for even a moment - causing my family to laughingly scold me as I ascended and descended the stairs in our house occasionally with my ipad in my hand, eyes fixed to the screen, because how could I look away now? HOW?

So consider this a review of both trilogies, rea
Jennifer Lim
(view spoiler)

I have never felt this broken after finishing a series. Not since Harry Potter (yes, i love this series that much). I'm in that pit of despair when you realize that there will be no more stories about the book you love and that it has finally come to an end.

I remember when I first tried reading Assassin's Apprentice, I wanted to stop reading by the third page. I know, I know. I don't know why I even thought that I will not be able to relate to that bastard child in
Executive Summary: I've been trying to be cautious about the books I give 5 stars. I really enjoyed the 8 books before this one. Most are very high 4's, but this one was a 5.

From an author who seems to take pleasure in tormenting her characters, this was a surprisingly satisfying ending.

Full Review: As the year draws to a close, I look back on 9 books I read in the last 4 months by Robin Hobb. Books I might never have read if not for good reads.

This book caps off 3 stand alone trilogy that's

I've finally made it through my mammoth re-read of the 3 series and I'm only two days behind schedule!

The Complete Farseer Trilogy: Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest
The Complete Liveship Traders Trilogy: Ship of Magic, The Mad Ship, Ship of Destiny
The Complete Tawny Man Trilogy: Fool's Errand, The Golden Fool, Fool's Fate

Without sounding too melodramatic Fool's Fate is without a doubt the hardest book I've ever had to read, it's heartbreaking and the last few hundred pages
Fool's Fate is tremendously satisfying ending to the Tawny Man trilogy. Robin Hobb is well known for torturing her characters and there's no shortage of pain and strife but Hobb also delivers plenty of catharsis. (Probably spoilers below).

The Tawny Man trilogy may be 3 books but it's one long tale best read one after the other. Each book has a beginning, middle, and end, wrapping up the main plot threads whilst leaving enough story to continue in the following book. It doesn't feel like one gian
Eddie Costello
I'm in tears; happy and sad ones
Oh wow. I just finished this and I have to say, when taken altogether (Farseer Trilogy + Tawny Man series), this series is just masterful. It is one of the most complete stories I've read in a long time. I feel supremely satisfied by the ending... which is... happy.

Normally I don't go for happy endings, because they don't always seem deserved, or realistic. In this case, Hobb has truly demonstrated that only when we have known the deepest depths of despair and tragedy can we also know the greate
Warning: less reviewing, more ranting.

This the only book in the Realm of Elderlings that I have given three stars to. I am not saying that it is bad... But I was very frustrated most of the time and Fitz was too big of a disappointment. The two previous books in the Tawny Man series contributed to this, but it is while reading the last book of the trilogy that I realized how much my heart sank when Fitz's character was exposed to the light.

I loved him as the boy and young man of the Assassin Ser
[This review may contain some spoilers, though I try to avoid mentioning anything momentous in the plot, if you see [SPOILER] immediately stop reading my review if you have not read the book]

This book is one of the most emotionally powerful books I have ever read. I'm a man, and like many men, we take pride in the masculine stereotype of withholding tears even from extremely emotional moments. I couldn't do that when reading this book. This book, unlike the many so-called "tragic" movies I've se
Find this, and many other reviews over at Geekritique!

With this sixth book in the chronicling of FitzChivalry Farseer's long, beautiful, torturous life, Robin Hobb has ascended herself into my list of favorite authors. The amount of respect I have for her writing skills and her ability to develop characters that matter is uncanny. It's a level of sophistication I hope I can one day reach with my own writing, but I'm a long ways off.

Fool's Fate is the fantasy epic you think of when you think of e
La fine della storia di FitzChevalier, e della missione del Profeta Bianco.
La trama in sé è abbastanza prevedibile, e spesso durante la lettura si inveisce contro l'ottusità della spedizione sull'isola del drago, come possono essere tutti così creduloni da non porsi le domande elementari in una situazione di quel tipo?

Ma la trama è la parte minore del libro, e si esaurisce ben prima del libro stesso.

Quello che conta è altro.

Fitz che riallaccia tutte le trame della sua vita, aiutato anche dal Mat
Seraphina Shujun
Finally - ever since my school senior recommended the Farseer trilogy, I have avidly worked through the entirety of the Farseer books, save for the ninth and last due to it being perennially out at my library. When I first laid hands on it, I practically yelled with joy, and spent the entire day cloistered up reading.

3 stars? I LOVED the books, and this was no exception. It wrung my heartstrings more than once, and I was enthralled by it at every turn, but the ending was a massive disappointmen
Who else was bummed by the end of the series? 20 494 Aug 11, 2015 03:40AM
The Robin Hobb Co...: fool's fate part 4 > chapters 16 to 20 12 30 Feb 20, 2015 12:34PM
I'm amazed how ridiculous this book is. 2 107 Aug 01, 2014 02:06PM
I read this book before any other in the series 1 26 May 15, 2014 10:16AM
The Fool: The Enemy? (HEAVY SPOILERS) 12 80 May 15, 2014 05:51AM
The Robin Hobb Co...: fool's fate part 7 > chapters 31 to 35 14 48 Oct 20, 2013 07:36AM
  • Restoration (Rai-Kirah, #3)
  • Hidden Warrior (The Tamír Triad, #2)
  • Wolf's Brother (Reindeer People, #2)
  • Lord of the Shadows (Second Sons Trilogy, #3)
  • A Fortress of Grey Ice (Sword of Shadows, #2)
  • The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2)
  • An Autumn War (Long Price Quartet, #3)
  • Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)
  • The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3)
  • Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)
** I am shocked to find that some people think a 2 star 'I liked it' rating is a bad rating. What? I liked it. I LIKED it! That means I read the whole thing, to the last page, in spite of my life raining comets on me. It's a good book that survives the reading process with me. If a book is so-so, it ends up under the bed somewhere, or maybe under a stinky judo bag in the back of the van. So a 2 st ...more
More about Robin Hobb...

Tawny Man (3 books)
  • Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1)
  • Golden Fool (Tawny Man, #2)

“Home is people. Not a place. If you go back there after the people are gone, then all you can see is what is not there any more.” 608 likes
“In that last dance of chances

I shall partner you no more.

I shall watch another turn you

As you move across the floor.

In that last dance of chances

When I bid your life goodbye

I will hope she treats you kindly.

I will hope you learn to fly.

In that last dance of chances

When I know you'll not be mine

I will let you go with longing

And the hope that you'll be fine.

In that last dance of chances

We shall know each other's minds.

We shall part with our regrets

When the tie no longer binds.”