Start by marking “A Wizard in Bedlam (Rogue Wizard, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Wizard in Bedlam (Rogue Wizard, #3)

A Wizard in Bedlam (Rogue Wizard #3)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  377 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The wizard DeCade died generations ago, leading the last great revolt of the Planet Melange's churls against their despotic feudal masters. His bones were broken and lost; only his songs remain.

The Churl Dulain joined the Resistance in his youth-an exile Resistance, devoted to readying the churls for their next great attempt at freedom. Now that moment nears. Back on Melan
Published March 15th 1995 by Tor Fantasy (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about A Wizard in Bedlam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wizard in Bedlam

Al "Tank"
Jul 23, 2015 Al "Tank" rated it it was amazing
"Gar Pike" is at it again. Trying to free another planet from oppressors. There's a clandestine army ready to go, but things are stalled because of a local legend. DeCade has to come back before the people will act. The problem is, that DeCade's been dead for 600 years.

Much of the book is set-up and the usual wandering around, getting into and out of trouble. But it's necessary.

The story kept moving and I was completely plunged into the story and Stasheff's world. One of his better "Wizard" stor
Jen
May 18, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
I have been spending this year reading through the Rogue Wizard series. I started with A Wizard in Mind (book two), then I backed up and read A Wizard in Absentia (book one), because I'm weird like that. This book, being book three, should finally be something not out of order, right? Except ...

In my review of A WIZARD IN ABSENTIA, I asked why an initially psychically powerful man as revealed in book 1, was then reduced in book 2, to have fewer powers. Now, here, in book 3 he is back to his full
Dlynn
Oct 22, 2010 Dlynn rated it really liked it
This was the first book I read by this author and it got me hooked; not only on Christopher Stasheff, but on Scifi/Fantasy. I read it while in college and it was the first novel I had ever read in the scifi/fantasy catagory that was not a school assignment. I enjoyed it so much that have hunted down most of this author's series concerning the wizards and warlock. To experience this series, start with The Warlock In Spite Of Himself. This book starts the life-long journey of Rodney d'Armand, the ...more
Marianne
Aug 18, 2014 Marianne rated it it was ok
Shelves: gone, sci-fi
Though rewritten to for part of a series, this book stands reasonably well on its own.

An interesting premise of a world created with a captive worker populace for the elite Lords. The story follows the revolt. Though all the elements of an interesting story are there, the flow is stilted and somehow the result is bland. The lead character feels like a beaten puppy dog following an overly powerful hero.
Centauri
Oct 29, 2014 Centauri rated it it was amazing
this was the book that introduced me to this extensive series that spans 30+ books and several decades. it was a great simple read with some philosophical concepts that peak here and there
Peter Berg
Nov 17, 2015 Peter Berg rated it it was ok
Boring, too much repetition
C.G.
Although this is considered to be the third book in the Rogue Wizard series, it was written well before the others and even before most of the Warlock In Spite of Himself series. Stasheff later rewrote parts of it so that the character "Gar" was really Magnus. (Not really a spoiler as it is listed as the third book in Magnus's series!)

This was actually the first book I read of Stasheff's and then found the Gramayre series, only realising the connection when I reread it in the chronological order
Patty
Sep 14, 2008 Patty rated it it was amazing
Believe it or not, I have the first edition of this book, removed from our Library, I was allowed to purchse it! The original version is quite different, as the main character wasn't Magnus to begin with...it was later rewritten a bit to fit in the series. Both versions are good and worth reading!
Jared
Apr 09, 2008 Jared rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This one was very confusing to me. Of course, I was pretty young when I read it. But when I went back and re-read it when I was a little older, it still seemed rather disjointed. Not as crisp as many of his other books.
Frank Taranto
Oct 05, 2009 Frank Taranto rated it it was ok
A light easy read.
Jen Rafferty
Jen Rafferty rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Michael Mustard
Michael Mustard rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
José Martins
José Martins marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Dylan
Dylan rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Timothy Howell
Timothy Howell marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Julia Coldren-walker
Julia Coldren-walker rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Denise Dianaty
Denise Dianaty rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Pcooer
Pcooer rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
MR JONATHAN R PRICE
MR JONATHAN R PRICE rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Tomas Temprosa
Tomas Temprosa marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2016
Noel T. Aird
Noel T. Aird rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Badzy
Badzy marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Bethany Ford
Bethany Ford marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Tony Machin
Tony Machin rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
  • Steamboat Gothic
  • The Modern Magi
  • Once a Hero
  • Quest For The Future
  • Who Goes Here? (Warren Peace, #1)
  • Ancient, My Enemy
  • The Enchanter Reborn
  • Visible Light
  • Wickedly Ever After (Baba Yaga, #2.5)
  • Echoes of the Fourth Magic (The Chronicles of Ynis Aielle #1)
  • Dragons of War (Bazil Broketail, #3)
  • Seven of Swords (Sword and Circlet, #3)
  • Earthblood
  • A Night in the Netherhells
  • Planet of Treachery (Family D'Alembert, #7)
  • Gene Wolfe's Book of Days
  • Iced on Aran
  • Sinister Barrier
Christopher Stasheff published his first novel, The Warlock in Spite of Himself, in 1969. He is often credited as one of the founders of the "science fantasy" genre. Over the next forty years, he wrote 44 novels, 29 short stories, and edited 7 anthologies. His most popular works are the Warlock of Gramarye series and its spin-offs, the Wizard in Rhyme series, and the Starship Troupers.

Stasheff has
More about Christopher Stasheff...

Rogue Wizard (10 books)
  • A Wizard in Absentia (Rogue Wizard, #1)
  • A Wizard in Mind (Rogue Wizard, #2)
  • A Wizard in War (Rogue Wizard, #4)
  • A Wizard in Peace (Rogue Wizard, #5)
  • A Wizard in Chaos (Rogue Wizard, #6)
  • A Wizard in Midgard (Rogue Wizard, #7)
  • A Wizard and a Warlord (Rogue Wizard, #8)
  • A Wizard in the Way (Rogue Wizard, #9)
  • A Wizard in a Feud (Rogue Wizard, #10)