Infantry Attacks

Infantry Attacks

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  991 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Field Marshal Erwin Rommel exerted an almost hypnotic influence not only over his own troops but also over the Allied soldiers of the Eighth Army in World War II. Even when the legend surrounding his invincibility was overturned at El Alamein, the aura surrounding Rommel himself remained unsullied. In this classic study of the art of war, Rommel analyzes the tactics that l...more
Published May 5th 2009 by Zenith Press (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Infantry Attacks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infantry Attacks

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueRegeneration by Pat BarkerGoodbye to All That by Robert GravesA Farewell to Arms by Ernest HemingwayBirdsong by Sebastian Faulks
World War One Literature
54th out of 131 books — 227 voters
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueThe Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanRegeneration by Pat BarkerBirdsong by Sebastian FaulksA Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
The Great War
207th out of 232 books — 191 voters

More lists with this book...

Cameron
This is an incredibly detailed, well written account of the First World War by one of the finest generals of the 20th Century. The well drawn and numerous sketches make it very easy to gain an understanding of the battles being described and the 'observations' placed at the end of the description of each engagement often highlight just why Rommel was such a successful commander during the Second World War. The book offers one of the best insights I have seen into both German military thinking at...more
Megan
Rommel, you magnificent bastard; I read your book!

Actually, it is a pretty good book. He demonstrates the ability to think decisively but with good sense, and after describing each battle or action, he analyzes what went right and wrong for both sides. He obviously wanted to learn and to teach what he'd learned from experience. He was committed to victory, but only at a minimal cost - this was not some callous cannon-fodder-flinging commander. There were times of classic German understatement th...more
Matimate
Excellent book which put great insight on the author' s own achievements.
The precise description of the battles were stripped of political background and focused on military strategy.
Mark C. Jackson
Excellent book on leadership without politics; tactics without doubt; Soldiering without prejudice. A must read for all new leaders, and a great refresher for seasoned veterans. rest assured this is about a German warrior, not a NAZI political machine. Yes, he was a tool in that mechanism, but he prefered the militarism, tactics and strategies of war far more than the political necessities. Rommel was a great tactician and strategist.
Steve Flanagan
A must read for every infantry & small unit leader. Rommel was bold & brilliant and he had audacious & amazing victories to show for it. He was a phenominal combat leader, it's too bad he was fighting for the wrong side... When in doubt - ATTACK!
Roger Burk
You've got to hand it to this guy Rommel, he hardly ever lets even a small flash of humanity show. He seems to be interested in absolutely nothing except small-unit infantry operations. This memoir just goes from one operation to another, on the Franch, Rumanian, and Italian fronts. Whatever he did on leave, in garrison, or on rear duty is ignored. The only effort at reflection is a few "Observations" given after each action, most pretty obvious (example: after losing touch with another unit in...more
Mike Kershaw
Written during the interwar period and leading, in part to Rommel’s notoriety in the German Officer Corps, Attacks looks at his experiences in WWI as a platoon leader and company commander on the Western Front first, then switching to his famous command in the Württemberg Mountain Battalion where he won his Pour Le Merite. Rommel’s style is easy to follow and the way he captures ‘lessons learned’ at the end of each chapter makes this a book that’s easily read in pieces. Rommel’s comments on figh...more
Iain
I expected this book to be quite dry but was pleasantly surprised to find that Rommel wrote an engaging account of his many exploits as a junior office in WWI. I was impressed with his drive and his grasp of fundamentals that others took longer to discover. The audacity of many of his units exploits adds to the narrative. I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in WWI, Rommel's life, and small unit tactics.
Keith
This book may not be for everyone; however, anyone interested in military history and military tactics will likely find it fascinating. Rommel has a writing style that is very personal, revealing much of not only what he did but also what his feelings were and why he did it. Throughout the book, the decisions he made it combat easily show why he came to be one of the top German generals in WW2. If you are looking for a great book on WWI this book will show you the war in a way you may have never...more
Kyle
The first purpose for this book, it seems, was for Rommel to blow his own horn. That being said, it provides an interesting look at small unit actions in various theaters during the Great War, particularly looking at the role of command and planning in such actions. My favourite parts are Rommel's reflections on the lessons learned from each action, as I can see manifestations of these in his WWII career. Pretty entertaining, definitely self effacing, but I think valuable in its context.
James
Mar 07, 2008 James rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students of modern military history, tactics, and operations
Rommel's memoirs of his experiences as an infantry officer in World War I, a much less famous period than his later service in World War II as the general in charge of first the Afrika Korps and then Hitler's Atlantic Wall defensive system.
Rommel wrote this to illustrate the tactical principles that led to his success in both wars, i.e. his relentlessness and innovation. For any student of modern military history or the tactical/operational art, this is an important book.
Alessandro
Jul 28, 2012 Alessandro rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: leaders, students of war
The simplicity, humility and lucidity with which this tactical genius describes complex battles are amazing. Not once does he show contempt for the enemy or forgets to mention the effort of the men under his command - citing the fallen by name whenever possible.
After each encounter he includes his analysis of the factors that granted those results, and what could have been done to make the situation better or to prevent casualties.
Kelly
This is truly an amazing book. It shows a lot of brilliant insights into an amazing man. The level of details of every single encounter, day after day, and the analysis after each shows both a tactical and strategic perspective that does not reflect his years. And, the way he writes is very engaging for such a dry topic. I really enjoyed looking out from the eyes of the Desert Fox... worth every minute of its reading.
Matt Mueller
It's a quintessential account of WWI from a German perspective and a mandatory read for infantry officers for the warrior philosophy, but for the average joe just wanting an account of WWI, it's a very dry, historical read that scans like a textbook much of the time. In it's "groove", it's a necessary read, but if you're just a casual military/WWI buff, you may find yourself putting it down to take a break from time to time.
Jan
Autobiografie van Rommel tijdens WOI. Biedt enorm veel inzicht in de "burden of command", de oorlogsvoering tijdens WOI en de psyche van een leider die over leven en dood beslist. Verder wordt duidelijk dat oorlogsvoering vooral afhankelijk is van beslissingen op het moment, veelal impulsief, en dat de manschappen het allerbelangrijkste zijn. Een must-read voor fans van oorlogsvoering, leiderschap, WOI en Rommel.
Tkyl
Fantastic read. Not only does it give you an insight into the tactical genius of Rommel, but it gives you a great look at the "enemy" of the first world war. Even in fighting, the Germans tried to treat their enemies with respect and dignity, preferring to give their enemies a chance to surrender before attacking. I seriously recommend this book to anyone interested in military tactics of the first World War.
Michael Gaudet
great soldier, not such a great writer.
Jesse
While it's hubris cannot be ignored, consider the time frame which it was written in. This book is easily the best look into the tactical level of field command I have ever read. Concisely written, detailed maps are invaluable to understand how the battles unfold. My hat is off to all the soldiers of the Wurttenberg Mountain Batallion, without their efforts this book would not of been possible.
Nithin
Greatest military tactician of all times.
Robert
Had to read this after finishing "Killing Rommel" by Steven Pressfield. review to follow...
This is a great book if you are interested in the "nuts and bolts" of modern warfare. It is also a good snapshot of attitudes of early 20th century European attitudes towards war. If you are looking fro narritaive forget it. Recommended for geeks and historians.
Tom
Not a lot to learn since I am usually not worried about heavy machine gun emplacement or friendly fire from handgrenades that fall short, but Rommell is a thoroughly professional military man he has a warmth for his men and his mission. Interesting knowing his future as the desert fox and conspirator to kill Hitler.
Patrick
Apr 20, 2008 Patrick rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in how the military really works
Recommended to Patrick by: my father
Infantrie am Grefiet
a really good book. goes in to Rommel's expierences in WWI and gives "lessons learned" from each battle he fought in. it was used by him when he taught at the Germany military accademy between the wars, and I believe it is still used at Sandhurst and West Point.
Alan
A view into the mind of one of the best infantry commanders in modern history. It reads like a military fiction novel until you remind yourself it was written from post-action journal notes by Rommel in the years after WWI. An amazing book by a brilliant tactician and soldier.
Dietrich
Being from Germany, and having served in the Deutsches Heer it was a must read for just about everyone who entered the service. He was a brilliant man in a dark period of history.
Any and everyone who has ever served in any military should read this book.
Gordon
A great book for junior officers, because it shows how to lead, and gain the respect of the soldiers who are under your command. The book shows imaginative tactics that served well to show that initiative atthe junior level can provide outstanding results.
Cesslie Pharr
Mar 08, 2010 Cesslie Pharr is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
As I continue my quest for world domination, this tactical advice from Field Marshall Rommel, the sly Desert Fox, will secure my place in history. I'm also looking for volunteer Generals. Please call me if you interested.
Fredrick Danysh
Rommel recounts his experiences as an officer during World War I and draws upon them to make obsevatiions about combat and tactics. While self-serving I thought that it was an interesting read.
Patrick
I'll get back to this. It's good, but it reminds me of why I'm not a history major. I usually enjoy reading well-written books about history more than primary source material.
R.J. Hendrickson
I read this years ago as a young man, studying for a career in the military. Quite good. I didn't stay in the military, but the book and the author made quite an impression on me.
John
More detail than I needed, but still an interesting read. The man was clearly a military genius, but just as clearly a compassionate, respectful man toward both comrades and foe.
  • Panzer Battles: A Study of the Employment of Armor in the Second World War
  • The Village
  • Makers of Modern Strategy from Machiavelli to the Nuclear Age
  • War as I Knew It
  • Counterinsurgency Warfare: Theory and Practice
  • If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the End of World War II, One American Officer's Riveting True Story
  • The Campaigns of Napoleon
  • Strategy
  • Supreme Command: Soldiers, Statesmen, and Leadership in Wartime
  • Knight's Cross: A Life of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
  • The Mask of Command: Alexander the Great, Wellington, Ulysses S. Grant, Hitler, and the Nature of Leadership
  • Street Without Joy
  • Crusade in Europe
  • About Face: Odyssey Of An American Warrior
The Rommel Papers مذكرات روميل ثعلب الصحراء Rommel and His Art of War Memorias Attacks