Che: A Graphic Biography

Che: A Graphic Biography

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A symbol of counterculture worldwide, Ernesto “Che” Guevara is one of the most, if not the most, recognizable and influential revolutionary figures of the twentieth century. From the pages of history textbooks to silk-screened T-shirts at Urban Outfitters, his mythologized face is positively unavoidable. But what, exactly, does this glorified image stand for?

During his lif...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Hill and Wang

To ask other readers questions about Che, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Che

Che by Sid JacobsonChe by Héctor Germán OesterheldEvita / El Che by Héctor Germán OesterheldChe by Spain RodriguezChe, #1 by Kim Yong-hwe
El Che en comic
1st out of 10 books — 5 voters
The Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanFun Home by Alison BechdelBlankets by Craig ThompsonAmerican Splendor by Harvey Pekar
Best Biographical Comics
20th out of 88 books — 58 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa Mcavoy
What I can't forgive is the complete lack of sources or any suggestions for further reading. Any biography of Che is going to be controversial and it strikes me as unconscionable to write one directed at young people without providing a bibliography or any indication of where the quotes and facts came from. At the end of the book there is a brief nod to divided opinion with six quotes from various historians and authors.

There is an admirably ambitious section devoted to describing, country by c...more
Armando
This is a great Graphic biography about Che's life as a revolutionary. it explains his travels into different Latin American countries and it also has some historical information about each country. the illustrations are great and very vivid. I highly recommend this book to any one interested in Che's life.
Nativeabuse
I went in expecting a For Beginners style thing, but I got a book of fantastic beautiful artwork! It is the same quality you would see in any normal comic book. It tells the complete history of che and it does it at a nice pace.
Jason
The history and story of Che Guevera is very interesting, though Jacobson could've left some of the more tedious details out of this book. All in all I found it interesting but not overly engaging because of the writing and art.
Noëlibrarian
I have always been interested in the life and death of Ernesto "Che" Guevara, so when I spotted this in our GN collected I took it home and expected a good story. And I wasn't disappointed -- not with the story, anyway. Although Jacobson keeps stopping the action and backing up to fill in historical facts, Che's life was just so convoluted that recreating it had to take many twists and false starts. One has to have an understanding of why he felt the way he did, and of the histories of the many...more
Aradweb Aradweb Adil
Expect the unexpected! In general it fulfill the so called a biography of Ernesto Guevara De La Serna or Che Guevara. Having read this graphic biography it feels like you are reading a brief history of not just about Che but also Latin America, Central America and also Cuba.

Started with his maiden motorbike journey through Northern Argentina in 1950 until his serious involvement in Cuban Revolutionary in 1959. His revolutionary movement does not end at Cuba but continues in Congo and ended at Bo...more
Michael Burnam-fink
It's only appropriate that the next book after Guerrilla would be a biography of famous guerrilla warrior Che Guevara. But because I'm slacking this summer, it's a comic book.

So what's to say? Obviously, this book is just the highlights; a series of semi-connected interludes that cast Che in the best possible light. But it also acknowledges his brutal work as a revolutionary executioner, and the failure of his battles after Cuba. The book ends with a brief essay on the meaning of Che's image in...more
Crckt
i've been on a little NF graphic novel kick lately. this is the last one that i read. it's a pretty good little summation of ernesto's life, travels and political development. what i appreciated most about this particular title was that it offered a survey of each of the nations in south, and central america and explained how those different cultural and economic landscapes help shift che's evolving political perspective. this can all be read in "the motorcycle diaries" as well, but it's a detai...more
Thomas Simpson
Pretty much average. I wanted to quickly learn a bit more about Che without having to read a full biography...although in hindsight, I think I might as well pick up an actual biography.
Mathew Carruthers
Not mind-blowing, but it is very informative. This graphic biography is well written and drawn and paints an objective portrait of this enigmatic figure of modern history and pop culture lore.
Valerie
This was my first graphic book! I never knew much about Che. His contribution to the Cuban revolution was his only success and all his other endeavors of revolution were failures. I had no idea he was such a fervent advocate of violent revolution. I wanted to hear more of his ideals and experiences and how/why he formed such a militant outlook on life. I also wanted to hear more details about the effects of American imperialism and Che's fight for the common laborer. All in all, this was an enjo...more
Hans
Should be called "Che: A brief Introduction". Not bad, touches on some of the major events of Ernesto Guevara's life. Nothing that captures the heart or imagination. He was an idealist and whether or not people consider him a hero or villain the guy definitely lived his convictions. Some thought him a hero because he constantly put others and their needs before his own, a villain because of the Cuban political prisoners that he oversaw their execution. Misguided or not Che was willing to put his...more
Charlotte
This book is a readable account of Che's life. It succinctly summarizes many historical issues. Not very captivating or dramatic, this book reads almost like a report. Informational and fair.

pg 26, 27 History of Mexican Territory
pg 34, 35 Summary of Cold War sides
pg 63, 64 Summary of Bay of Pigs
pg 109, 110 Timeline of Che's life
Robyn
Feb 26, 2010 Robyn rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
A little surprised that no one reviewing this mentioned how horrible the writing is. The author managed to take an interesting story and chop it up into a dry bunch of statements and unemotional dialog. If you want to read a graphic novel about Che Guevara, there are better ones out there.
Courtney
I learned more about Che Guivera from watching youtube videos. The images are attractive, but the events and biographical information is disjointed. To be honest, I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. I think it would even turn reluctant readers off because it's too simplistic and boring.
Kw Estes
I agree with many of the other reviews: While informative for those who are unfamiliar with Guevara's life and exploits, the writing is abysmal and unsuitably sedate. For those truly interested in the subject of this man's life, I recommend searching elsewhere.
Nick
Concise, informative, highlights interesting side-pieces such as the Bolivarian Revolutions and the graphical format works well with biography. In part due to the format, Che' mystique makes its appearance, but overall it seems a historically fair work.
Monika
I had heard of Che and saw the Steven Sodenborgh's movie. This is a very good condensed visual view of his life. It also gives a brief overview of other historical events that influenced the state of Latin America at the time of Che's life.
Maha Balouch
This book gave me a brief insight on the early life of Che and his motives to carry on a revolution, as well as the results. Encouraged me to pick up an actual biography on the guy.
Mahesh
Interesting, well-illustrated and informative. Although plagued by a disjointed narrative, it's a good snapshot of the history of South America and its modern nations.
Matthew
For a volume so slim, this does a great job of explaining Guervara and explaining him with the context of Latin American and Cold War events.
I found the story very disjointed. I was looking for a biography of Che Guevara, not the history of the world during the 50s and 60s.
Ken French
A good overview of his life and causes. Well-illustrated but a little dry. Very little of Che's passion comes through.
Warren Griffiths
Follows the same path as Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson. Good read, beautiful illustrations.
J.
Lackluster writing and art. I learned about Che, but I'm fairly certain there's more to him than this.
Jen Hull
Such interesting material, what a shame it was so poorly written.
Donna Frazier
The life of Che in comic book form...what more can you ask?
Keith Slade
Pretty good overview of Che's life in graphic novel format.
Anne
Che Guevarra + comics. Deadly combination.
Peacegal
Good, but not as good as the Anne Frank bio.
Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized Graphic Biography The 9/11 Report Vlad the Impaler: the Man Who Was Dracula After 9/11: America's War on Terror (2001-  ) The Ultimate Casper Comics Collection!