Start by marking “Ready to Fall” as Want to Read:
Ready to Fall

Ready to Fall

In this witty tale of marriage and midlife longing, a taken-for-granted wife pursues a fantasy love via e-mail--like a "Bridget Jones's Diary" gone suburban, 40-ish, and wired.
Published December 9th 2002 by Bridge Works Publishing Company (first published March 28th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Ready to Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ready to Fall

Becky
Dec 15, 2008 Becky rated it it was ok
Shelves: adultbooks
I didn't like this novel's format-all written as e-mails. I like to read dialogue not all one-sided e-mails. Near the end, I thought that this lady doesn't know when to shut up. She needed to take a "time-out."
Louise
Mar 22, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A rather funny and quirky novel written entirely in "e-mail" format about an unhappy woman in her 40's. Beth begins an email romance with a neighbour (Thomas) and thinks she's going to fall in love with him. Beth's friend Heather talks her into going on a week long "Special Delivery" trip where a group of women "find themselves". Needing to continue her cyberspace romance with Thomas while secluded on an island, Beth purchases a small word processor so she can email Thomas daily about her trip a ...more
Andrea
Feb 08, 2014 Andrea rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-books
By the time I finished "Ready To Fall", I was ready to throw it out the window! Started out promising, but was such a HUGE disappointment! Instead of following the blossoming relationship between a lonely housewife and her travel writing next door neighbor, we are "treated" to a series of emails that she writes to him. Not only do we never really learn about this man, but the entire book is told from her point of view. We have to imagine what his responses to her long, drawn out and at times, ri ...more
Jen
May 27, 2010 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: summer-reads
Some of Claire Cook's works I thoroughly enjoy, other not so much.

This one is cute, but quickly spirals down into crazy. I realize that we're all just a little bit crazy, but this is the first book I've read from start to finish where my every though regarding the main character was "MY LORD! this lady is CRAZY!"

It does have it's points, morals of the story and entertaining bits, but the final few pages had me reading along in open-mouthed horror!

Not that, in this day and age, we haven't all had
Kathy
Aug 21, 2016 Kathy rated it it was ok
I didn't care for this book as much as some others of hers I have read. The woman in this book is in the middle of a midlife crisis. Feeling neglected and unloved, she starts an e-mail romance with the man next door. One that has lived next to her for 10 years and they are really just people who have only nodded in the past. We only read her e-mails to him, although from her e-mails we can tell that he does respond once in awhile. Finally her fantasy has to come to a head, which of two paths wil ...more
Phair
Wow- I loved this book all written in the form of the narrator's e-mails. I read it in a single sitting. It was amusing, droll, painful, truthful. You see the curve from the lonely confusion of this 40-something housewife to personal revelation to breaking away from convention to realization of TRUTH and the blunt, funny change in tone when (but I won't spoil it). Just an excellent, fun read.
Jenn
Jul 24, 2012 Jenn rated it did not like it
I didn't make it too far in this book. It is written entirely as emails that the main character sends to her neighbor. We never see the neighbor's replies, although the protagonist responds in her messages to things the neighbor apparently said. About 1/3 of the way through the book, I'm still unsure as to whether the neighbor is actually interacting with her, or whether this is all fantasy. I don't care enough about the main character to find out the answer. I've read enough.
Lea
Jan 11, 2013 Lea rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Love Claire Cook, did not love this book. It's a one sided email conversation between a middle aged wife and mother who feels like her husband doesn't love her and her children just use her. She meets her neighbor, who she strikes up an email relationship with. Her best friend is no friend at all. It was a very fast read, finished in a few hours. Not Cook's best work.
Heidi Lee  Munson
Oct 26, 2011 Heidi Lee Munson rated it it was amazing
Fresh with engaging energy. I loved following Beth through her diary of self-discovery. At times I felt myself incredibly frustrated with the leading lady - wishing she would take a little more confidence in herself - much like having a conversation with a close friend.
Wonderful read, and I'm glad someone recommended it to me.
Kg4jbj
Nov 05, 2007 Kg4jbj rated it really liked it
Shelves: south-of-boston
Funny book about a housewife who is experiencing boredom in her marriage. The book is written as a series of emails to her neighbor, in whom she develops a romantic interest. It comes across as somewhat stalkerish, because we don't see his replies, but otherwise, it's a comical book, like her others.
Karen
Mar 31, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
This book ROCKED!! I giggled for days and I was sorry when I closed it. Brilliant point of view--loved the way the the main character rationalized, made excuses and carried on (and on and on and on)with the unique methods of communication to sustain the 'relationship." I can't say enough good things about this novel--pick it up and ENJOY!
Reca
Jul 17, 2008 Reca rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, read-in-2014
Let me first say that I love Claire Cook. I do. But this book just didn't have a character that grabbed me since I thought she was a little nutso and not in a funny or likeable way. I don't know if the email format of only Beth's point of view made this worse or not.

I wouldn't let this stop anyone else from reading Claire Cook.
Debbie
May 21, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really funny. A misunderstood housewife wishing for an adventure. So she takes it to the world wide web and gets more than she bargained for. Good book for a warm sunny day with a glass of iced tea nearby.
Beegold
May 17, 2014 Beegold rated it it was ok
Initially I thought the telling of this story via e-mails was an interesting literary tactic, but it became old. Especially since we only saw one side of the emails exchanged. Just didn't enjoy as much as Clare Cook's other books.
Holly
Aug 22, 2013 Holly rated it did not like it
Shelves: read2013
Ugh! Could not get into this one at all. Did not like the email style of the book. Gave up and won't be going back to it!
Brenda
Aug 05, 2010 Brenda rated it it was ok
I give it a 2.5 stars ... it was a different concept of book - it's based on one person narrator emails this housewife sends to her next door neighbour who's often out of town on job assignment.
Linda
Jul 21, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
Romantic comedy told in e-mail about a woman's mid-life crisis and online flirtation with her neighbor.
Deb Jackson
Jun 25, 2012 Deb Jackson rated it it was ok
This was one of Cook's first novels.. written as emails to a male neighbor, although funny, not her best work..
Linda
Sep 16, 2010 Linda rated it it was ok
Okay, but not good.
LInda L
Oct 28, 2011 LInda L rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I truly disliked this book -- written as e-mails to a neighbor who apparently has no interest in the sender. She is stupid and childish.
Alissa
Nov 28, 2008 Alissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Could definitely tell this was a first novel. I'm ok with the epistolary format, but didn't like that it was all one-sided by Beth. Ended too quick with not much resolution.
Sandra Lopez
May 06, 2015 Sandra Lopez rated it did not like it
The plot wasn’t all that interesting to me, but I tried to give it a shot anyway. Then I found that the whole story is written in emails. Ugh! That did it for me.
Val
May 19, 2009 Val rated it it was ok
weird. A littany of emails from a desperate housewife and a world traveler. Interesting arrangement. I found the main character far too needy. I did enjoy the ending however.
Cathie
Cathie rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2016
JoAnn
JoAnn rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2011
Cynthia W
Cynthia W rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2011
Amy Elaine
Amy Elaine rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Angie Cain
Angie Cain rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Never on a Sundae
  • Julie and Romeo Get Lucky
  • Wedding Belles
  • I Shaved My Legs For This?!
  • The Chick Palace
  • The Sex on the Beach Book Club
  • The Tiara Club
  • The Girlfriend Curse
  • More to Life Than This
  • The Southern Belle's Handbook: Sissy LeBlanc's Rules to Live By
  • The Adultery Diet
  • Homesick Creek
  • Along Came Mary (Bad Girl Creek #2)
  • Socialite Evenings
  • Good Christian Bitches
  • Girls of Summer (Shelter Rock Cove, #2)
  • The Height of Rudeness: Four Sneak Peek Essays Plus One Exclusive!
  • The Wishing Garden
I wrote my first novel in my minivan at 45. At 50, I walked the red carpet at the Hollywood premiere of the adaptation of my second novel, Must Love Dogs, starring Diane Lane and John Cusack. I'm now the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of 16 books. If you have a buried dream, take it from me, it is NEVER too late!

I've reinvented myself once again by turning Must Lov
More about Claire Cook...