Start by marking “Ready to Fall” as Want to Read:
Ready to Fall

Ready to Fall

2.96 of 5 stars 2.96  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In this witty tale of marriage and midlife longing, a taken-for-granted wife pursues a fantasy love via e-mail--like a "Bridget Jones's Diary" gone suburban, 40-ish, and wired.
Published December 9th 2002 by Bridge Works Publishing Company (first published March 28th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Ready to Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ready to Fall

The Help by Kathryn StockettDreams Come True by Bridgitte LesleyOut of the Box Awakening by Jennifer TheriotOut of the Box Regifted by Jennifer TheriotThe Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Great Mom/Chick-lit reads & authors!
83rd out of 239 books — 206 voters
Love, Rosie by Cecelia AhernI've Got Your Number by Sophie KinsellaAttachments by Rainbow RowellThe Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard by Robert BryndzaChat Love by Justine Faeth
Internet Chick Lit
28th out of 58 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea
By the time I finished "Ready To Fall", I was ready to throw it out the window! Started out promising, but was such a HUGE disappointment! Instead of following the blossoming relationship between a lonely housewife and her travel writing next door neighbor, we are "treated" to a series of emails that she writes to him. Not only do we never really learn about this man, but the entire book is told from her point of view. We have to imagine what his responses to her long, drawn out and at times, ri ...more
Becky
I didn't like this novel's format-all written as e-mails. I like to read dialogue not all one-sided e-mails. Near the end, I thought that this lady doesn't know when to shut up. She needed to take a "time-out."
Louise
A rather funny and quirky novel written entirely in "e-mail" format about an unhappy woman in her 40's. Beth begins an email romance with a neighbour (Thomas) and thinks she's going to fall in love with him. Beth's friend Heather talks her into going on a week long "Special Delivery" trip where a group of women "find themselves". Needing to continue her cyberspace romance with Thomas while secluded on an island, Beth purchases a small word processor so she can email Thomas daily about her trip a ...more
Beegold
Initially I thought the telling of this story via e-mails was an interesting literary tactic, but it became old. Especially since we only saw one side of the emails exchanged. Just didn't enjoy as much as Clare Cook's other books.
Sandra Lopez
The plot wasn’t all that interesting to me, but I tried to give it a shot anyway. Then I found that the whole story is written in emails. Ugh! That did it for me.
Jen
Some of Claire Cook's works I thoroughly enjoy, other not so much.

This one is cute, but quickly spirals down into crazy. I realize that we're all just a little bit crazy, but this is the first book I've read from start to finish where my every though regarding the main character was "MY LORD! this lady is CRAZY!"

It does have it's points, morals of the story and entertaining bits, but the final few pages had me reading along in open-mouthed horror!

Not that, in this day and age, we haven't all had
Tracy
Jan 30, 2015 Tracy added it
Did not like this one.
Jenn
I didn't make it too far in this book. It is written entirely as emails that the main character sends to her neighbor. We never see the neighbor's replies, although the protagonist responds in her messages to things the neighbor apparently said. About 1/3 of the way through the book, I'm still unsure as to whether the neighbor is actually interacting with her, or whether this is all fantasy. I don't care enough about the main character to find out the answer. I've read enough.
Lee Ann
Written entirely as emails, it is cute and a quick read.
Phair
Wow- I loved this book all written in the form of the narrator's e-mails. I read it in a single sitting. It was amusing, droll, painful, truthful. You see the curve from the lonely confusion of this 40-something housewife to personal revelation to breaking away from convention to realization of TRUTH and the blunt, funny change in tone when (but I won't spoil it). Just an excellent, fun read.
Lea
Love Claire Cook, did not love this book. It's a one sided email conversation between a middle aged wife and mother who feels like her husband doesn't love her and her children just use her. She meets her neighbor, who she strikes up an email relationship with. Her best friend is no friend at all. It was a very fast read, finished in a few hours. Not Cook's best work.
Karen
This book ROCKED!! I giggled for days and I was sorry when I closed it. Brilliant point of view--loved the way the the main character rationalized, made excuses and carried on (and on and on and on)with the unique methods of communication to sustain the 'relationship." I can't say enough good things about this novel--pick it up and ENJOY!
Reca
Let me first say that I love Claire Cook. I do. But this book just didn't have a character that grabbed me since I thought she was a little nutso and not in a funny or likeable way. I don't know if the email format of only Beth's point of view made this worse or not.

I wouldn't let this stop anyone else from reading Claire Cook.
Heidi Lee  Munson
Fresh with engaging energy. I loved following Beth through her diary of self-discovery. At times I felt myself incredibly frustrated with the leading lady - wishing she would take a little more confidence in herself - much like having a conversation with a close friend.
Wonderful read, and I'm glad someone recommended it to me.
Kg4jbj
Funny book about a housewife who is experiencing boredom in her marriage. The book is written as a series of emails to her neighbor, in whom she develops a romantic interest. It comes across as somewhat stalkerish, because we don't see his replies, but otherwise, it's a comical book, like her others.
Debbie
I thought this book was really funny. A misunderstood housewife wishing for an adventure. So she takes it to the world wide web and gets more than she bargained for. Good book for a warm sunny day with a glass of iced tea nearby.
Brenda
I give it a 2.5 stars ... it was a different concept of book - it's based on one person narrator emails this housewife sends to her next door neighbour who's often out of town on job assignment.
Alissa
Jul 25, 2011 Alissa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Could definitely tell this was a first novel. I'm ok with the epistolary format, but didn't like that it was all one-sided by Beth. Ended too quick with not much resolution.
Val
weird. A littany of emails from a desperate housewife and a world traveler. Interesting arrangement. I found the main character far too needy. I did enjoy the ending however.
Holly
Ugh! Could not get into this one at all. Did not like the email style of the book. Gave up and won't be going back to it!
Deb Jackson
This was one of Cook's first novels.. written as emails to a male neighbor, although funny, not her best work..
Linda
Romantic comedy told in e-mail about a woman's mid-life crisis and online flirtation with her neighbor.
Barbra Bowers
I really shouldn't put that I read this since I couldn't make it past the first 10 pages.
Marlene
One of Cook's early works. Light, fun chick-lit.
Linda
Okay, but not good.
Deborah Lyons
Deborah Lyons marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Kristi Baugh
Kristi Baugh marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
April Vaughn
April Vaughn marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
  • Bones and Roses
  • But Not for Long
  • What If..
  • The Girlfriend Curse
  • Cross Justice (Alex Cross, #23)
  • Socialite Evenings
  • Going to Bend: A Novel
  • Her Sister's Shadow
  • Goodbye, Earl: A Bad Girl Creek Novel
  • The Tiara Club
  • The Chick Palace
  • The Space Between Before and After
  • The Tapestry of Love
I wrote my first novel in my minivan at 45. At 50, I walked the red carpet at the Hollywood premiere of the adaptation of my second novel, Must Love Dogs, starring Diane Lane and John Cusack. If you have a buried dream, take it from me, it is NEVER too late!

I've reinvented myself once again by turning Must Love Dogs into a series, writing my first nonfiction book, Never Too Late: Your Roadmap to R
More about Claire Cook...
Must Love Dogs (Must Love Dogs, #1) Seven Year Switch Life's a Beach The Wildwater Walking Club Summer Blowout