Start by marking “Solomon Kane: The Castle of the Devil (Dark Horse's Solomon Kane, #1)” as Want to Read:
Solomon Kane: The Castle of the Devil (Dark Horse's Solomon Kane, #1)

Solomon Kane: The Castle of the Devil (Solomon Kane)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Robert E. Howard's vengeance-obsessed Puritan begins his supernatural adventures in the haunted Black Forest of Germany in this adaptation of Howard's "The Castle of the Devil." When Solomon Kane stumbles upon the body of a boy hanged from a rickety gallows, he goes after the man responsible—a baron feared by the peasants for miles around. Something far worse tha...more
Published July 14th 2009 by Dark Horse Books (first published June 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Solomon Kane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solomon Kane

Rick
Aug 17, 2009 Rick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Following their success with their new Conan comics, Dark Horse recently tackled the avenging Puritan. Writer Scott Allie and artist Mario Guevara expanded a Robert E. Howard story fragment into the enjoyable graphic novel The Castle of the Devil. Allie successfully managed the subtle nuances of Kane's stoicism and world view. Guevara's art, while at first glance presenting a fresh approach to the character, actually hinders the tale with inferior storytelling and lack of character definition. U...more
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
2.5

I only recently became aware of the character of Solomon Kane, and I've never read any of the books - so I can't compare on that front.

The story itself is ok, but on the standard side. Granted, it is based on a snippet of a story older than I am, so I can make certain allowances in that regard. I was interested in this idea of a warrior Puritan - it reminded me a bit of the Priest manga.

But the writing was very choppy. Neither narrative nor conversations moved in an organic fashion, and the...more
Orrin Grey
Now this is more like it.

Those of you following along at home will recall my recent disappointment with the Saga of Solomon Kane. This is definitely an improvement over that.

Scott Allie, perhaps best known to me as Mike Mignola's editor, knows from a good supernatural story (for further proof, I recommend his really excellent comic The Devil's Footprints), and he turns in a story here that's at once much closer to what was great about the original Solomon Kane stories and also still very much it...more
Martha
Jan 27, 2011 Martha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Howard's Solomon Kane
Shelves: graphic-novels
I immensely enjoyed this adaptation of Howard's Solomon Kane. I felt that the authors were very true to the character, they didn't try to beef him up and give him "cool" dialogue. Kane was very judgmental of others and a zealot, and they didn't change that.
I appreciated that they used a Howard fragment rather than an established story, I'm sure it gave them more artistic license with the story. It also kept me from being critical of a story I had already read.
The artwork is beautiful and fits t...more
Nick

I read this in French, with a so-so cover by John Cassady, which is at least better than Mike Mignola, whose art I generally dislike.

Part two of a series of resurrected graphic novel stories on Solomon Kane, originally created by Robert E. Howard (of Conan fame), this one features Kane wandering in the Black Forest of Germany, where he encounters a fellow Englishman and arrives at 'The Castle of the Devil,' the seat of the local baron. Mystery, violence and the arcane ensue.

Overall I like the...more
Jessica
Solomon Kane.

Brooding Hero. Check.

Fully Invested in Religion. Check.

Witch-Hunting, I-Shoot-to-Kill-And-Look-Good-While-Doing-It. Check.

Leather, Tall Hat, Boots, Long Hair. Check.

I found out it was a movie afterwards, but this is who I was picturing the whole time:

crowvillain

That is why I completely liked it.

I should be ashamed of myself, lolololol.

crow

As far as the story & plot are concerned. Action packed | Redundant. Check.

I'm not sure why----but I was

Satisfied. Check.

Andy Zeigert
I've enjoyed reading Hellboy and most things Dark Horse for some time, and Scott Allie's Hellmail column in the back of each Hellboy issue is always fun to read. (Editor responses, anyway; Fanboy fawning gets old quick.)

When I saw this cover and Allie as the writer, I thought it was a sure winner. The story itself is a fascinating tale about a 17th Century baron in Germany with a few dark secrets hanging around his castle. That the titular character stumbles upon this and shakes things up was a...more
Erik
After the surprisingly well-received audience reaction to selected clips from the upcoming Solomon Kane film while I was at Comic-Con in San Diego last month, I’ve been snooping my nose in the world of Robert E. Howard’s lesser known dark fantasy Puritan avenger. (And I don’t mean Conan. He is by no means puritanical, what with all his booty-calls and all.) Although I have yet to pick up a Howard Cane story, I didn’t hesitate to pick up Allie and Guevara’s comic-book treatment a week back while...more
Jared Millet
Here's a nice little offering from Dark Horse as they continue their Robert E. Howard revival. I've heard it argued that Solomon Kane, Puritan bad-ass, was Howard's most original creation and I can see their point. This graphic novel, based on one of Howard's unfinished fragments, has some gorgeous artwork that actually makes me wish they *hadn't* used Mike Mignola for the cover. The story starts well enough and has all the feel of a good old Hammer Horror movie. Like most horror flicks, though,...more
Jenn
Let me start by saying, I don't like Robert Howard. At all. Give me John Carter of Mars over Conan the Barbarian any day. So I wasn't sure that I would like this comic book, based on one of the first fragments that Howard wrote about Solomon Kane, his Puritan adventurer character. Basically, Kane is Conan, except Conan is different/exceptional because he is (duh) a barbarian, while Kane's differences are attributed to his...let's say fervent religiosity. However, they both roam their respective...more
Angela
I enjoyed this. I think this would be like if you added fantasy to Nathaniel Hawthorne's short stories and turned them into graphic novels.
Jack Haringa
The Castle of the Devil is a very fine expansion of an original Solomon Kane fragment, and Scott Allie captures the grim, unforgiving spirit and fatalistic attitude of Robert E. Howard's character. Mario Guevara's thick-lined art, complemented by Dave Stuart's muted coloring, perfectly suits both the action and the characters.

Dark Horse continues to offer excellent adaptations of Howard's classic characters, and I'd love to see this creative team tackle more Solomon Kane. This is just as high qu...more
Meran
I can't say if this is a good depiction of the Howard original story, but it's Solomon Kane, all right... Mr "I'm a Puritan, don't question my morals" himself.

The art is very good, action pretty good, carry-through of action from frame to frame is good in some parts, not so good in others...

I do wish there were translations of the German, though. My German is barely good enough to get the gist of the conversation. The understanding of others maybe not so much!
Luke Zwanziger
Story taken from an unfinished Robert Howard manuscript, this story was entertaining, with great art, though I must admit, it is quite slow moving. Sometimes this is a good thing in a story, though here I found it a little off putting. Still a descent read. Besides who doesn't want to read about a vengeful violent puritan killing demons and werewolves?
Madkropotkin
Disappointing, if it was not for the cool concept, I would have given it a 1 star. I know most comics and graphic novels are not great literature, heck, they are not even good literature, but the writing in this graphic novel is atrocious. Utterly disappointed that such an interesting concept was mutilated by such horrible writing.
Craig
This is a good graphic novel, both true to the source material and a pretty good story on its own. The art was subtle and a little understated, adding flavor to the atmosphere in a good way, and the writing was both tight and effective. Kane will obviously never be Howard's top character, but this was a fun book.
Jesse
Dec 10, 2009 Jesse rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of pulp characters and Robert E. Howard
Excellent story of sword and sorcery. Solomon Kane is like Conan, only celibate. Dark Horse produces some awsome comics, particularly of the Robert Howard characters. I can't wait to see what hoary fiends from the nether world Solomon will encounter in Volume two. Oh, and the Cassady covers, shear nerdgasm!
Skut L
Not as dark or as engaging as I had been hoping for, a disappointment. I may give the titular character another chance with some of Howard's novels.

The artistic style was really the only upside to this rather empty graphic novel, at times reminding me of my favorite Hellboy artwork.
Marko
Solomon Kane has always been the least interesting hero in Howard's production for me and, unfortunately, this graphic novel could not change that fact for me. A decent read, for sure, but I don't get the 17th century vibe from these that I would like to - being a fan of the era.
Charles
May 28, 2012 Charles added it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm not going to give this a rating on Goodreads yet because I've agreed to do a review of it for the next issue of "The Dark Man: The Journal of Robert E. Howard Studies." After that comes out, I'll repost parts of that review here.
Russell Grant
I loved the original Howard stories. This never grabbed me. It's missing the weird dread that Howard infused the originals with. The art never grabbed me and the whole thing was a bit tedious in the end.
John Hanscom
This is only my second graphic novel. but, so far, I have not liked them. They are neither fiction nor movie, try to be both, and are terribly bloody. Are there any good ones out there?
Hannes Salin
Quite good, story 3.5/5 and art 4/5 (I liked the "sketchy" style), but most of all the setting. Just bought the second volume in this trilogy.
Tim Weakley
A great version of a classic Kane story. I read this one at least once a year. The art is jagged, but perfect for the novel.
Edward
For the art work alone it deserves 5 stars. The story in good as well.
Kurt Criscione
comic book adaptation of one of Robert E Howard's best Kane stories.
Julie Salyards
My first graphic novel. I liked it!
Kerry
Good, but gross even for me. :)
Paul Mirek
Paul Mirek marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 1: The Drowning (Abe Sapien, #1)
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 3: The Vamp
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 3: Bound
  • Conan, Vol. 5: Rogues in the House and Other Stories
  • Conan, Vol. 0: Born on the Battlefield
  • The Case of Charles Dexter Ward: A Graphic Novel
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 3
  • A Treasury of Victorian Murder
Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 1 (Hellboy: Weird Tales, #1) Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 2 (Hellboy: Weird Tales, #2) Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Panel to Panel Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 2 (Tales of the Slayer, #2) Betrayal (Star Wars: Empire, #1)