Start by marking “The Best American Mystery Stories 2009” as Want to Read:
The Best American Mystery Stories 2009

The Best American Mystery Stories 2009 (The Best American Mystery Stories)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  155 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Best-selling novelist Jeffery Deaver edits this latest collection of the genre's finest from the past year. Featuring "gritty tales told with panache," this is a "must-read for anybody who cares about crime stories" (Booklist).
Published October 8th 2009 by Mariner Books

To ask other readers questions about The Best American Mystery Stories 2009, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best American Mystery Stories 2009

Love Firsts by C.L. StoneThe Best American Short Stories 2008 by Salman RushdieMurder for Christmas by Thomas GodfreyGood Poems by Garrison KeillorImpromptu Scribe by Alex Morritt
Samplers
47th out of 71 books — 12 voters
The Devil's Teardrop by Jeffery DeaverThe Bone Collector by Jeffery DeaverThe Empty Chair by Jeffery DeaverThe Coffin Dancer by Jeffery DeaverThe Sleeping Doll by Jeffery Deaver
Best Of Jeffery Deaver
48th out of 100 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Asya
Jan 11, 2010 Asya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009, 2010
Every year I buy these anthologies and every year I love them. However, this compliation really tops by "Love" list.
Patrick
Jan 16, 2010 Patrick rated it it was amazing
I don't care much for the short story. A master's program in writing will do that to you. Every group has at least five earnest twits trying to be the next Raymond Carver and get their dreary present-tense tale of post-modern angst published in The Atlantic Monthly.

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who hate Atlantic Monthly fiction, and liars.

None of the stories in this year's Best American Mystery Stories would get the time of day from the Atlantic Monthly. Nifty little slices o
Renee
Feb 14, 2014 Renee rated it really liked it
Alice Munro: don't underestimate the crabby old lady. Ever.
Joyce Carol Oates: one very loooooong and compelling paragraph.
Michael Connelly: Happy Father's Day

Elge
Jul 04, 2010 Elge rated it really liked it
I'm only four stories into and I'm loving it. So far, better than last year's collection. I've found some authors new to me that I'm really looking forward to reading more of. Big Midnight Special by James Lee Burke is definitely in my top 10 short stories of all time.
Randy Rohn
Jan 04, 2010 Randy Rohn rated it it was amazing
Very good spectrum of crime fiction.
Joy
Nov 22, 2014 Joy rated it really liked it
I like short stories. This book was a confirmation of that fact. Many of the authors were new to me, as well as a few familiar ones. The stories were compact, covered a variety of situations, various settings, as well as time periods. Lots of variety.
Amy Paget
Jun 13, 2015 Amy Paget rated it liked it
Shelves: short, stories, crime, fiction
Editor Jeffery Dever notes that most of the stories explore the psychology of the murderer. Good selection. Enjoyed the introduction for its overview of the selection process and its review of the scope of mystery tales. All very dark stories.
Theodore Kinni
Jan 20, 2016 Theodore Kinni rated it really liked it
All of these annual collections are great reading. The standout among standouts here is James Lee Burke's "The Midnight Special."
Christine
Jan 26, 2016 Christine rated it it was amazing
Deaver, who's a prime author himself, edited this wonderful collection of truly choice stories.
Nicole Dietz
Feb 18, 2010 Nicole Dietz rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book. Hopes of smoking guns, lovable detectives, hidden clues and endings with a twist. My hopes weren't answered, but there were some curious stories that I'm still thinking about. A drug dealer single mom with a difficult decision to make, a murderer who wasn't sure about his guilt and an awkward attempt at a kiss that turns into an accidental murder. Interesting, but not what I would call the best mysteries that I've ever read. Maybe 2009 was just a bad year for myst ...more
Margaret Sankey
Jul 23, 2011 Margaret Sankey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every year I love the "Best American" series of collections, especially the mysteries--I just can't keep up with all the small journals and magazines in which these gems appear. I always find at least a couple of new authors to try and short works from authors who usually write novels. This collection has a powerful Louisiana noir from James Lee Burke with the great line "a mob never did rush across town to do a good deed."
Tammy  King Carlton
Feb 10, 2010 Tammy King Carlton rated it it was ok
First, I have never felt that the short story format could truly appreciate a good mystery. But this is a compilation of accomplished authors, and I decided to take a chance. Having said that, these stories are, in fact, very well-written. But WOW. They were dull. Unsuspenseful. And without any backbone.
Kate
May 21, 2010 Kate rated it it was ok
Boy, these were disappointing. As with all short story collections, some of the stories were better than others, but not one of them was actually a 4 or 5 star story. None of them was who-done-it enough for me. I say skip this volume. Sad, because I really wanted to like it.
Claudio
Oct 11, 2013 Claudio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In realtà questo non è un vero libro, è un libro in cui si raccolgono stralci di altri libri. Se si è alla ricerca di nuovi autori da leggere o si vuole provare per la prima volta a leggere questo genere questo è un ottimo punto di partenza per scegliere chi leggere.
Carla
Nov 19, 2015 Carla rated it really liked it
This was a strong collection of memorable stories, enjoyed it!
Kristen
Feb 17, 2010 Kristen rated it it was ok
So, some of the stories were good, some were OK. A fair amount of unfun topics (i.e., rape or death). I'm still not sure why a bunch were classified as mysteries - their definition seemed pretty loose to me.
Lisa Findley
Nov 10, 2011 Lisa Findley rated it liked it
About a third of these are well-written, genre-less. About a third are a good thriller read. About a third are dull. Not bad!
A.gasior
Apr 24, 2010 A.gasior rated it it was ok
I certainly don't share this editor's taste in literature. These stories read like episodes of bad television dramas.
Joslyn
Feb 05, 2010 Joslyn rated it it was ok
some poor writing & half aren't even mysteries! (says the old book curmudgeony me)
Bri
Some stories were not the greatest. It was like every other story was good!!
Giuseppe
Aug 01, 2010 Giuseppe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mistery
Really a worth reading, staring from the intro by Jeffrey Deaver.
Samira
Apr 16, 2013 Samira rated it it was ok
There are a few good reads, but I couldn't get through them all.
Linda
Nov 17, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
Great little stories to read on my bus commute.
Gretchen
would not suggest this book
Lisa Tulloch
Lisa Tulloch marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Bobbi Foster
Bobbi Foster marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Roberts
Roberts marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Ryan Lang
Ryan Lang rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Cristina Collu
Cristina Collu is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2016
Inhibitor Medichine
Inhibitor Medichine marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 1999
  • The Best American Short Stories 1996
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2005
  • The Best American Short Stories 1995
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.
More about Jeffery Deaver...

The Best American Mystery Stories (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 1997