The Best American Mystery Stories 2009

The Best American Mystery Stories 2009 (The Best American Mystery Stories)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Best-selling novelist Jeffery Deaver edits this latest collection of the genre's finest from the past year. Featuring "gritty tales told with panache," this is a "must-read for anybody who cares about crime stories" (Booklist).
Published October 8th 2009 by Mariner Books

To ask other readers questions about The Best American Mystery Stories 2009, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best American Mystery Stories 2009

Asya
Jan 11, 2010 Asya rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009, 2010
Every year I buy these anthologies and every year I love them. However, this compliation really tops by "Love" list.
Patrick
I don't care much for the short story. A master's program in writing will do that to you. Every group has at least five earnest twits trying to be the next Raymond Carver and get their dreary present-tense tale of post-modern angst published in The Atlantic Monthly.

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who hate Atlantic Monthly fiction, and liars.

None of the stories in this year's Best American Mystery Stories would get the time of day from the Atlantic Monthly. Nifty little slices o...more
Renee
Alice Munro: don't underestimate the crabby old lady. Ever.
Joyce Carol Oates: one very loooooong and compelling paragraph.
Michael Connelly: Happy Father's Day

Elge
I'm only four stories into and I'm loving it. So far, better than last year's collection. I've found some authors new to me that I'm really looking forward to reading more of. Big Midnight Special by James Lee Burke is definitely in my top 10 short stories of all time.
Randy Rohn
Very good spectrum of crime fiction.
Nicole Dietz
I had high hopes for this book. Hopes of smoking guns, lovable detectives, hidden clues and endings with a twist. My hopes weren't answered, but there were some curious stories that I'm still thinking about. A drug dealer single mom with a difficult decision to make, a murderer who wasn't sure about his guilt and an awkward attempt at a kiss that turns into an accidental murder. Interesting, but not what I would call the best mysteries that I've ever read. Maybe 2009 was just a bad year for myst...more
Margaret Sankey
Every year I love the "Best American" series of collections, especially the mysteries--I just can't keep up with all the small journals and magazines in which these gems appear. I always find at least a couple of new authors to try and short works from authors who usually write novels. This collection has a powerful Louisiana noir from James Lee Burke with the great line "a mob never did rush across town to do a good deed."
Tammy  King Carlton
First, I have never felt that the short story format could truly appreciate a good mystery. But this is a compilation of accomplished authors, and I decided to take a chance. Having said that, these stories are, in fact, very well-written. But WOW. They were dull. Unsuspenseful. And without any backbone.
Kate
Boy, these were disappointing. As with all short story collections, some of the stories were better than others, but not one of them was actually a 4 or 5 star story. None of them was who-done-it enough for me. I say skip this volume. Sad, because I really wanted to like it.
Claudio
In realtà questo non è un vero libro, è un libro in cui si raccolgono stralci di altri libri. Se si è alla ricerca di nuovi autori da leggere o si vuole provare per la prima volta a leggere questo genere questo è un ottimo punto di partenza per scegliere chi leggere.
Kristen
So, some of the stories were good, some were OK. A fair amount of unfun topics (i.e., rape or death). I'm still not sure why a bunch were classified as mysteries - their definition seemed pretty loose to me.
Lisa Findley
About a third of these are well-written, genre-less. About a third are a good thriller read. About a third are dull. Not bad!
A.gasior
I certainly don't share this editor's taste in literature. These stories read like episodes of bad television dramas.
Joslyn
some poor writing & half aren't even mysteries! (says the old book curmudgeony me)
Bri
Some stories were not the greatest. It was like every other story was good!!
Giuseppe
Really a worth reading, staring from the intro by Jeffrey Deaver.
Samira
There are a few good reads, but I couldn't get through them all.
Linda
Great little stories to read on my bus commute.
Gretchen
would not suggest this book
Claude
Claude marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Diana Montes
Diana Montes marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Jeffery Deaver was born outside of Chicago in 1950. His father was an advertising copywriter and his mother was a homemaker. Deaver worked as a magazine writer, then, to gain the background needed to become a legal correspondent for The New York Times or Wall Street Journal, he enrolled at Fordham Law School. In 1990 he started to write full time. Deaver has been nominated for six Edgar Awards fro...more
More about Jeffery Deaver...
The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1) The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2) The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3) The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5) The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)