Farmer Joe And The Music Show

Farmer Joe And The Music Show

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Clucking hens, hoofing pigs, and mooing cows - join the beat!

"Down on the farm of Poor Old Joe, the hens won't lay and the crops won't grow."

With the help of his instrument playing friends, Farmer Joe soon has the hens clucking, the pigs hoofing, and the cows mooing to a hillbilly music show. And now, "...down on the farm of Clever Old Joe, the hens all lay and the crops a...more
Published April 15th 2009 by Orchard Books (first published July 3rd 2008)

Kaye Cloutman
Have you ever tried reciting the letters of the alphabet while not breaking into a nursery school melody? Well Farmer Joe and the Music Show has the same effect. It’s like a clever twist and combination of songs reminiscent of “Cotton Eye Joe” and the all-time favorite “Farmer in the Dell.” The story starts “Down on the farm of Poor Old Joe, the hens won’t lay and the crops won’t grow…” Get ready to clap your hands and stomp your feet to this fun rhyming read! Children will enjoy how Farmer Joe...more
Amy
Well, I just recommended this book to my musically inclined uncle, who as far as I know, hasn't read a children's book since his kids were young. Although, one never knows--maybe he has. At any rate, I'll just essentially repeat what I told him.

The book is very lyrical and has a clear rhythm to it. It really read like a song, and I think that was certainly the author's intent. I think it could easily be turned into kind of a folksy, kind of bluegrass-ish, song. My niece, nephew, and I liked the...more
Melanie
Farmer Joe doesn't know what's wrong with his farm animals. The hens won't lay eggs, the pigs won't eat, the cows won't graze and the crops won't even grow. What to do?

Joe has a grand idea! He picks up his old guitar and begins to strum. The hens begin to flap their wings and they start to lay eggs! Fiddler Fox joins in and this gets the pigs dancing!

Other animals join with the impromptu music band and everyone is bee-bopping along. Great idea Farmer Joe!

A great read-aloud for storytime as the k...more
Denise
Farmer Joe’s “hens won’t lay and crops won’t grow” until he puts on a music show.

The illustrations are bright, colorful and playful, typical of works previously produced by this author/illustrator duo. This story sings the praises of the positive effect music can have on one’s mood and in this case, productivity. There are just a couple of forced rhymes, such as “yee-har” to rhyme with guitar. This does not detract from the overall book and it would be a good choice for storytime with preschool...more
Tami
Farmer Joe has a very big problem. Nothing seems to be going right on his farm. The animals are unhappy. Even the crops won’t grow.

Fortunately, Farmer Joe has an idea. Music is the key. He begins and all sorts of friends join in.

It’s impossible to read Farmer Joe and the Music Show without turning it into a song. The rhythm of the words automatically begins to sound like a song. It’s great fun.
Apr 22, 2009 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jennifer by: Angie
By the time Farmer Joe started playing his guitar, my daughter forgot about the M&Ms sitting in front of her. By the time Fiddler Fox started plucking at his fiddle, she was stomping her feet against her high chair. She added clapping hands just in time for Bear to bring out his double bass. The only reason I'm giving this four stars instead of five is because it sorely needs an accompanying CD!
Edna
When the farm animals are down in the dumps and not producing, Farmer Joe the dog, pulls out his guitar, starts plucking out a tune and is shortly joined by Fox and his fiddle, Rabbit with her concertina, and Bear with his bass fiddle. In no time at all, the animals are all hoofing and laying eggs and making honey and enjoying the hillbilly concert.
Ina
Read 2/28/11 as part of "Shall We Dance?" theme. The power of music and its positive effects shine through the wonderful rhymes of this story. Sang "Old MacDonald" with this changing the words slightly: "Farmer Joe, he had a farm…" There are wonderful illustrations and rhyming text that flows. A great read-aloud.
Mandy
Farmer Joe is worried because the animals and even the crops all seem down. He gets out his guitar in hopes of cheering them up.

I can see myself reading this aloud to my PreK students with them tapping to the rhythm and making animal sounds as the animals cheer up.
Becky
Nov 23, 2009 Becky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool and up
If only I was musically-inclined enough to figure out how to "sing" this book! It has some nice onomatopoeia as each instrument is played by one of Farmer Joe's animals to lift the farm's spirits. Good suggestion for a kids' program with music.
Molly
This would be wonderful in a farm storytime. Written in rhyme it is about music and farm animals having a good time togther. I enjoyed it and think it would be great to share with a group of kids. Ages 2+
Allison
Sigh. Another farm book with talking animals. Bright, fun pictures, reads like a square-dance song. Might be good for a pre-school music and/or farm storytime.

Orchard Books, New York
Robin
This was brought to my attention by someone at the library who knew I would like it, and I did. They should have provided a CD with hoe-down music on it though, that is keeping it from five stars!
Angie
The author of Down by the Cool of the Pool has come out with another hit with a great beat!
This is a fun, upbeat story that will be great for encouraging phonological awareness.
Christine Turner
With the help of his instrument-playing friends, Farmer Joe has his hens clucking, his pigs dancing, and his cows mooing to a country music show.
www.hcpl.net

Shelly Lindsey
Book was numerous teaching moments. Rhyming is throughout book, great words to build students vocabulary, and examples of using onomatopoeia in writing.
carissa
Amy Brown
The animals are down and out. What is Farmer Joe to do? "Music has the power to cure." So he starts to play guitar and everyone joins in.
Angie
Cute. Didn't love it but didn't hate it, either. This is probably the best one so far from my library trip this afternoon.
Jaime
This book was a big hit with Truman. Probably has something to do with him loving music so much.
Lynn
This book is adorable and my almost 3 year old boy loves it. Funny illustrations.
Kris
I can't not sing this book aloud! Fun and silly and perfect for storytime!
I love this one and so does she! Fun to read, has piggies, and is rhythmic.
Melanie
music plays a big role- could also be rhymes_songs-easy_poetry
Megan
This book made the song "Dueling Banjos" get stuck in my head.
Sandybear76
like this author. cute story for kids

Debra
Nice choice to sing for storytime.
the Reeds
Fun book. A few clunky rhymes.
Tina
farm animals, music
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dinosaurumpus Down by the Cool of the Pool Spooky Hour Terrific Trains Amazing Airplanes