Start by marking “Farmer Joe And The Music Show” as Want to Read:
Farmer Joe And The Music Show

Farmer Joe And The Music Show

Clucking hens, hoofing pigs, and mooing cows - join the beat!

"Down on the farm of Poor Old Joe, the hens won't lay and the crops won't grow."

With the help of his instrument playing friends, Farmer Joe soon has the hens clucking, the pigs hoofing, and the cows mooing to a hillbilly music show. And now, "...down on the farm of Clever Old Joe, the hens all lay and the crops a
Published April 15th 2009 by Orchard Books (first published July 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Farmer Joe And The Music Show, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farmer Joe And The Music Show

Kaye Cloutman
Aug 28, 2009 Kaye Cloutman rated it it was amazing
Have you ever tried reciting the letters of the alphabet while not breaking into a nursery school melody? Well Farmer Joe and the Music Show has the same effect. It’s like a clever twist and combination of songs reminiscent of “Cotton Eye Joe” and the all-time favorite “Farmer in the Dell.” The story starts “Down on the farm of Poor Old Joe, the hens won’t lay and the crops won’t grow…” Get ready to clap your hands and stomp your feet to this fun rhyming read! Children will enjoy how Farmer Joe ...more
Amy
Jun 08, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
Well, I just recommended this book to my musically inclined uncle, who as far as I know, hasn't read a children's book since his kids were young. Although, one never knows--maybe he has. At any rate, I'll just essentially repeat what I told him.

The book is very lyrical and has a clear rhythm to it. It really read like a song, and I think that was certainly the author's intent. I think it could easily be turned into kind of a folksy, kind of bluegrass-ish, song. My niece, nephew, and I liked the
Melanie
Farmer Joe doesn't know what's wrong with his farm animals. The hens won't lay eggs, the pigs won't eat, the cows won't graze and the crops won't even grow. What to do?

Joe has a grand idea! He picks up his old guitar and begins to strum. The hens begin to flap their wings and they start to lay eggs! Fiddler Fox joins in and this gets the pigs dancing!

Other animals join with the impromptu music band and everyone is bee-bopping along. Great idea Farmer Joe!

A great read-aloud for storytime as the k
Denise
Sep 17, 2010 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Farmer Joe’s “hens won’t lay and crops won’t grow” until he puts on a music show.

The illustrations are bright, colorful and playful, typical of works previously produced by this author/illustrator duo. This story sings the praises of the positive effect music can have on one’s mood and in this case, productivity. There are just a couple of forced rhymes, such as “yee-har” to rhyme with guitar. This does not detract from the overall book and it would be a good choice for storytime with preschool
Apr 22, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jennifer by: Angie
By the time Farmer Joe started playing his guitar, my daughter forgot about the M&Ms sitting in front of her. By the time Fiddler Fox started plucking at his fiddle, she was stomping her feet against her high chair. She added clapping hands just in time for Bear to bring out his double bass. The only reason I'm giving this four stars instead of five is because it sorely needs an accompanying CD!
Tami
Aug 20, 2009 Tami rated it really liked it
Farmer Joe has a very big problem. Nothing seems to be going right on his farm. The animals are unhappy. Even the crops won’t grow.

Fortunately, Farmer Joe has an idea. Music is the key. He begins and all sorts of friends join in.

It’s impossible to read Farmer Joe and the Music Show without turning it into a song. The rhythm of the words automatically begins to sound like a song. It’s great fun.
Edna
When the farm animals are down in the dumps and not producing, Farmer Joe the dog, pulls out his guitar, starts plucking out a tune and is shortly joined by Fox and his fiddle, Rabbit with her concertina, and Bear with his bass fiddle. In no time at all, the animals are all hoofing and laying eggs and making honey and enjoying the hillbilly concert.
Ina
Mar 04, 2011 Ina rated it it was amazing
Read 2/28/11 as part of "Shall We Dance?" theme. The power of music and its positive effects shine through the wonderful rhymes of this story. Sang "Old MacDonald" with this changing the words slightly: "Farmer Joe, he had a farm…" There are wonderful illustrations and rhyming text that flows. A great read-aloud.
Mandy
Dec 16, 2012 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Farmer Joe is worried because the animals and even the crops all seem down. He gets out his guitar in hopes of cheering them up.

I can see myself reading this aloud to my PreK students with them tapping to the rhythm and making animal sounds as the animals cheer up.
Molly
Apr 14, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would be wonderful in a farm storytime. Written in rhyme it is about music and farm animals having a good time togther. I enjoyed it and think it would be great to share with a group of kids. Ages 2+
Tracy Morton
Nov 24, 2016 Tracy Morton rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book has a good rhyming pattern and the children will enjoy the animals. I am using it for a music storytime but it would be really good for a farm theme as well. The book goes through the things that happen on a farm.
Rebecca
Nov 23, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschool and up
If only I was musically-inclined enough to figure out how to "sing" this book! It has some nice onomatopoeia as each instrument is played by one of Farmer Joe's animals to lift the farm's spirits. Good suggestion for a kids' program with music.
Amy Brown
Apr 16, 2009 Amy Brown rated it really liked it
The animals are down and out. What is Farmer Joe to do? "Music has the power to cure." So he starts to play guitar and everyone joins in.
Shelly Lindsey
Book was numerous teaching moments. Rhyming is throughout book, great words to build students vocabulary, and examples of using onomatopoeia in writing.
Christine Turner
With the help of his instrument-playing friends, Farmer Joe has his hens clucking, his pigs dancing, and his cows mooing to a country music show.
www.hcpl.net

Allison
Apr 29, 2009 Allison rated it liked it
Sigh. Another farm book with talking animals. Bright, fun pictures, reads like a square-dance song. Might be good for a pre-school music and/or farm storytime.

Orchard Books, New York
Kimberly
Jan 17, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was ok
I thought I would enjoy this book a lot more than I did. Even my children seemed to lose interest and I had to keep pulling them back in.
Angie
The author of Down by the Cool of the Pool has come out with another hit with a great beat!
This is a fun, upbeat story that will be great for encouraging phonological awareness.
carissa
Angie
Jun 14, 2011 Angie rated it liked it
Cute. Didn't love it but didn't hate it, either. This is probably the best one so far from my library trip this afternoon.
Kayla
Kayla rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Richelle Rininger
Richelle Rininger rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was ok
Sep 22, 2009
Kouros
Kouros rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2012
jacky
jacky rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Ethan House
Ethan House rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2013
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2011