Start by marking “The Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street)” as Want to Read:
The Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street)

The Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street)

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  88,696 ratings  ·  2,217 reviews
Many adults name this book as their favorite Little Golden Book. Generations of kids have interacted with lovable, furry old Grover as he begs the reader not to turn the page—for fear of a monster at the end of the book. “Oh, I am so embarrassed,” he says on the last page . . . for, of course, the monster is Grover himself!

This all-time favorite is now available as a Big
Published May 11th 2004 by Golden Books (first published 1971)

Jeremy
I had a very love/hate relationship with The Muppets in my early youth. I really, really liked watching "The Muppet Show" and "Sesame Street". They were two of my favorite shows, and I still hold both in high regard. However, every now and then and completely out of nowhere, a Muppet would do something that genuinely terrified me. For example, I really hated that old "Sesame" sketch when a couple of mild-mannered puppets would calmly take turns whispering words that rhymed to a gently jazzy beat ...more
s.penkevich
This book was a childhood favorite of mine, and I suspect that my love of metafiction stems from this book. However, as an adult I find this book to be slightly sadistic. Grover BEGS you to not turn the page in order to keep from reaching the monster that will be found on the final page ((view spoiler)), building brick walls and such to thwart your progress. However, the fun is laughing at Grover as you ignore his ple ...more
Kim

‘Oh great,’ you’re thinking, ‘another witty endeavor where a Goodreader reflects back on a childhood favorite. Oh joy.'

Well, suck it up and deal.

A-hem… While rifling through the book section at my local Goodwill; I came across this little gem. Copyright 1980, Little Golden Books edition complete with all our favorite characters outlining the back cover… The Tawny Scrawny Lion, Tootle, The Poky Little Puppy… that famous gold-foil binding (seriously, it says so… right on the back!) A little girl e
Raizel
Riveting.
Gave me goose bumps.

A true page turner till the end.
Lisa

A favorite in my household! :)
Kirk
"I . . . am the monster"
Grover Monster

This is probably one of the most profound statements in literary history to date. Today, there are hundreds of books, films and television shows which address man's incapacity to negotiate his own darkness. In many variations of the tale, we see the darkness within projected outward, cast onto another real or imagined character. Stephen King's Secret Window, even the latest season of Dexter reacquaints us with this age-old phenomenon, but never have they
Steven Stark
This book starts out great! I love Grover.

The problem is that Grover asks you to not turn any more pages, because of his belief that there is a monster at the end of the book. I decided to honor Grover's wish.

Oh, I turned a few pages. But when Grover took the time to tie all the pages together to discourage me from turning any more, well, I just didn't have the heart to go on. The little guy was really scared.

But I can't help but think.....are all monsters necessarily bad? You know it's funny -
Courtney
Oct 09, 2007 Courtney rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: postmodern scholars
We are the monster we fear.

We are also the monster that induces fear in others, sometimes by an act as simple as turning a page.

The reader is the author of meaning.

Simply existing and acting causes ripples in the realities of others which we are incapable of comprehending.

When you pick up a stone, the earth is lighter.

When you turn the page, you are one moment closer to your own death.

Not turning the page will not make the monster at the end of this book dissapear either, he will never go away
Brad
I do an ass kicking impersonation of Grover. Just ask my kids.

Actually, I can do any of the Muppets voiced by Frank Oz -- Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Sam the Eagle, Cookie Monster, Bert, even Yoda (which is my son's fave), but Grover is my best.

So when I was looking for a book for my little Scoutie a couple of months ago, something that I could hide away and save for just her and me, and I stumbled upon a little board book version of this Little Golden Book classic, I had to have it.

I'd forgotten all
Amanda
(4/23/09) I saw a quote from this book on my friend Misha's profile last night and a flood of good feelings came rushing over me. While I don't remember the specifics of the story (other than the surprise ending!), I do remember reading it a hundred thousand times. I remember the golden spine, a different texture than the rest of the hard cover. I remember, that maybe, years later, the dog chewed the corner. And I remember loving this book a lot.

Funny, as I think about it now, I wonder why I've
Marie Antoinette
What can i say? Classics never die! It's time to be a kid again.

The first time i read this book i was 8 years old, it was a birthday present from my parents, i was so happy because i loved Sesame Street, Who doesn't love S.S when they are kids right?

The most amazing thing about this book is that Grover is trying to stop us from reaching the end of the book, where he knows there is a monster and when we are kids we love to be scared because deep down, we know we are in no real danger.

So we tur
Damian
This book is perfect for your 2-4 year old. It gives your child permission to disobey important instructions from cute, loveable Grover (who could whoop Elmo in a Sesame street fight).

The book grabs your attention from the very first line, with Grover teasing your child's curiosity about a potential monster at the end of the book, all the while begging your child NOT to turn the page. And yet we encourage the child to do it anyway.

This "cute-for-now" moment will be stored in your child's memor
Christina
Nov 17, 2007 Christina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This is absolutely my favorite book of all time. I really can't remember when I first read it so I just guessed. I have always loved Grover as long as I can remember. It is such a clever and fun book, and while it does kind of play on kids' little rebellious streaks (turning the pages when Grover is trying everything in his power to get the reader not to), it also incites kids to keep reading all the way to the end, to finish what you start, to foster a healthy sense of curiosity, and even to no ...more
Avis Black
This was the very first book I ever bought with my own money, me being the age of seven, and I remember the whole event as being almost frighteningly grown-up, to actually buy a book. I also annoyed the crap out of my parents by making them read it to me repeatedly. Loved it at the time.
Mike
Jan 30, 2008 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with little ones
Shelves: kids
This is my youngest daughter’s “most favoritest book” and to be honest, it is a joy to read it with her… every night… until she finds another favoritest book.
Naked Consciousness
It feels a little bit goofy to rate a Little Golden Book as five stars, but The Monster at the End of this Book, written by Jon Stone is just that adorable. Grover Monster from Sesame Street is at his endearing best as he does his very best (despite great trepidation on his part) to protect the reader from the scary monster at the end of the book. Pages come alive as Grover hides inside the binding and behind torn pages when things get too scary for poor little Grover to handle by himself. Child ...more
Nada
It's a children's book, I know, but a very good one actually.
midnightfaerie
One of my favorite books as a child and now the same for my children. A great idea for a plot with our favorite lovable characters. I do like the first book a little better than the second one, but still worth the read!
Melki
Both my boys LOVED this book. The youngest one would literally begin vibrating with excitement as that last page drew nearer and nearer.
Meg
LOVE IT! Another great kid's book. I can't even BEG my son into putting it down. If you need a hilarious book that will get your 3- to 7-year-old more interested in reading, Grover's got it made-to-order, as usual. You can find this book online for just a few bucks, and it might be the one that opens up the world for your little one. I still maintain that any kid who doesn't love to read just hasn't met the right book yet.

(Man, I miss those skits of Grover as a waiter... They always made MY life
Carole Myers
So, I have a brother who is 12 years younger than myself and this is a book that we enjoyed together when he was little. When I had my own children, I introduced them to Grover through this book and of course the tv series.

While Grover is a monster, he is definitely not scary and has long been my favorite character on the show. The tension throughout the story is definitely palpable and certainly heartfelt. It's a great study in overcoming your fears. (<- tongue in cheek, maybe a little)

And
John Yelverton
One of my favorite childhood stories that basically teaches that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
Shanna Gonzalez
Normally I steer clear of books about TV characters because of their low story quality. This story, however, is a hilarious page-by-page running joke, in which Grover, after reading the title, begs the reader not to turn the pages because he is afraid of meeting the monster. He erects barriers to page-turning which are destroyed as pages are turned, and when the last page is turned he discovers that he is the monster referred to in the title.

The humor turns on the fact that the author draws atte
Rich Stoehr
I remember this book well.

I remember Grover's initial shock at the discovery that there is, indeed, a monster lurking at the end of the book in my hands.

I remember the whispered entreaty to please, please not turn the page - adorable, fuzzy Grover does not want to see the monster!

I remember the increasingly desperate attempts Grover makes to stop me from turning the pages: tying the book together with rope, building brick walls between pages, nailing the book shut, each one rendered perfectly wi
Bruce M
I can remember reading this book with my mother as a young child. I remember reading this book to my much younger brother when he was a young child (There's 13 years between us). Now I'm reading it to my own daughter.

Out of all things Sesame Street, books, sketches, songs, movies... this is one of my absolute favourites. Every page of this book is amazing. I love Grover addressing the reader, like he so often does on the show. I love the piles of debris visible through the tears of the pages' co
Eyebright
Apr 05, 2011 Eyebright rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
When I first had the idea for writing a review about this book, I wondered if I would even be able to make it beyond a few sentences. I mean, writing a review for a silly children's story isn't exactly groundbreaking material.

However, just because it's a kid's book doesn't mean I can't share it with you, does it?

My Synopsis

The Monster at the End of this Book let's us communicate with the Sesame Street friend, Grover, as he struggles with overcoming his fear of Monsters. Having read the title pa
Scott Rhee
I am impatiently anticipating the exciting moment when I can read this book aloud to my daughter. One of my favorites of the many Golden Books that I cherished as a kid, "The Monster at the End of this Book" by Jon Stone is a perfect, fun little story that taught me the joys of suspense and patience, as my mother used to gleefully take her time turning the pages, while I wiggled with joyous excitement until the last page which, of course (***spoiler alert!***), revealed that the monster was none ...more
Joan
As others have said, this is classic. I read this when I started working as a librarian and loved it. The twist is so good and the main character clearly spends so much time worrying for no good reason, that kids will pick up on the lesson that worrying about monsters is a waste of time and energy. However, they'll be laughing so hard they won't notice there is a lesson to this book.
Hilary
Oct 28, 2009 Hilary rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Spuben
Recommended to Hilary by: Townes V. Z.
A deeply moving psychological portrait of a disturbed individual.

The Monster at the End of this Book is truly a compelling piece of literature. Jon Stone delves into the subtle nuances that make up a neurotic individual through the persona of the "lovable furry old Grover." Grover - during his heroic endeavor of breaking the fourth wall, has become convinced that there is a Monster at the end of this book. Unaware of what is housed deep within the darkest recesses of his very soul he begs, nay,
Rebecca McNutt
I had this book when I was kid, and for a children's picture book, it was really funny and easy to read. I decided to read it again for nostalgia's sake and it still holds up as a good book for kids just as much as it did back in 2001. :)
  • Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball!
  • The Going-To-Bed Book
  • Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree (Little Golden Books)
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree
  • Bear Feels Sick
Stone graduated from Williams College in 1952. He received a master's degree from the Yale University School of Drama in 1955, at which time he joined a CBS training program. Before helping to create Sesame Street, he worked on the popular children's television show Captain Kangaroo for CBS. He also worked on several other Muppet projects before and during his time on Sesame Street, and was the au ...more
More about Jon Stone...
Another Monster at the End of This Book Hide and Seek: with Lovable, Furry Old Grover Resting Places: with Lovable, Furry Old Grover Christmas Eve on Sesame Street Blue's Fruit Field Trip! (Blue's Clues)

“I told you and told you there was nothing to be afraid of.” 11 likes