Start by marking “Emily: My True Story of Chronic Illness and Missing Out On Life” as Want to Read:
Emily: My True Story of Chronic Illness and Missing Out On Life

Emily: My True Story of Chronic Illness and Missing Out On Life

Emily's the sick one . . . all of the time.
Plagued with some sort of cold or fever or bizarre aches and pains for much of her life, Emily thought the dizziness and stomachaches at the start of her senior year were just another bout of "Emily flu." But when they didn't go away, she knew something was seriously wrong. Eventually diagnosed with the rare and incurable West Ni
Published August 3rd 2009 by HCI Teens

To ask other readers questions about Emily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emily

Emily Benoit
May 06, 2012 Emily Benoit rated it liked it
Shelves: reads-of-2012
Concept/Ideas: 4/5

I liked the idea that this book was about Emily, a girl who was infected with West Nile virus. I thought it would be an interesting read, reading on about how she struggles to come to terms with it and learns to live and get over the stress of not being able to do what she wants at first with the illness. Definitely sounds like an informative, hard read.

Writing Style: 2.5/5

Okay so.... I think Emily's a great writer, and has a lot of potential. She seems very imaginative and c
Rebekah
Sep 10, 2016 Rebekah rated it liked it
Delightful writing style!
Brooke Houck
Nov 05, 2015 Brooke Houck rated it liked it
In the end, I found this to be an amazing book though I was a little disappointed in the ending. I understand that this book was written as a journal and published in that form so for the ending to not be very..wrapped up..it made since. However, it seemed like one of those books that was very good up until the end because nothing really happened. I suppose the Author's Epilogue did make up for that in a way though. Other than that, I found this book to be very well written and I would recommend ...more
Karen
Dec 13, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
This book is very hard for me to rate or review.

It is a true story based off of the blog posts of Emily Smucker.

When Emily is going into her senior year of HS she becomes sick. A sickness that she just can't seem to shake. At one point she becomes so weak that she starts to use a cane.

The cane doesn't last but she still becomes exhausted easily and no matter how many tests she gets done the drs can't seem to figure out what is wrong with her.

Finally, about year after she first became sick, she
Apex157x
Nov 03, 2015 Apex157x rated it really liked it
Spot on! my husband and my daughter are both disabled and truth pours out of the pages of this book. Her emotional struggles are some of what goes through the mind of anyone struggling with a chronic illness. When you are first diagnosed, there is a certain learning curve, and stages of anger, frustation and grief for the able body that has been lost before finally accepting the illness. Thank you Emily for sharing your story so that others chronically ill and their spouses and family members ...more
Alexandra
Apr 01, 2012 Alexandra rated it liked it
3 1/2 Stars

This is a true story of Emily Smucker. In a series of blog posts Emily describes her life after falling ill, and not being able to go on the trips and do the things she wants to do. She finds shes allergic to a lot of things. But wishing she was allergic to Oregon (her home state) barely being able to walk at time, and with the use of a cane she gets around. Through all the doctors tests, and time recovering from her illness, Emily fights and learns to live with it all, and overcomes
Heather
Jul 07, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
17 year-old Emily gets sick a lot, but this year she seems sicker and it’s lasting longer than usual. When the doctor says she has West Nile, an incurable virus, she sees her whole senior year go up in smoke.

I love that a teenager has written her story of battling a chronic disease. You really get to know her throughout the book and feel her happiness on her better days and her frustration during the weeks where nothing improves.
Kelly
Nov 22, 2009 Kelly added it
Shelves: read-in-2009
I skimmed this one more than read it. It's her blog in print form about living with West Nile virus. Interesting but definitely too teen for me - but for those who loves blogs or narratives or the inner workings of a teen girl (who is sick but doesn't delve as much into it as I had personally hoped), this will be a good fit. Same publisher as the Chicken Soup books, if that gives some context.
Emily
Jul 26, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
Its adout a girl that gets sick for a whole year and she talks adout what it is like to go throw it all and how she wants be alleric to her home state so that she can move and go on an trip and adout how her family and freinds try to help her and she quastions God some times. I loved it!!
Danielle
Aug 30, 2013 Danielle rated it really liked it
Quick read... I follow her mom's blog so I knew some of the story. Interesting to read it from Emily's viewpoint.
Abi Stetson
Abi Stetson rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2012
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2012
† ❤ Nebelhexe❤ †
† ❤ Nebelhexe❤ † rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2012
Eliana
Eliana rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Bridget
Bridget rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Lynnea
Jan 26, 2016 Lynnea rated it really liked it
Shelves: bio-memoir
I love the way Emily writes: easy to read and so honest!
Larissa
Larissa rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2010
Brody Johnson
Brody Johnson rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
Kim Baccellia
Kim Baccellia rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2009
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2010
Hannah O'Kelly
Hannah O'Kelly rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Aimee
Aimee rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2014
Janelle
Janelle rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Bridget Moran
Bridget Moran rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Andrew Vincent
Andrew Vincent rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Sarah Woodard
Sarah Woodard rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2009
Mandi Ansbach
Mandi Ansbach rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Carly
Carly rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2011
  • An Unspeakable Crime: The Prosecution and Persecution of Leo Frank
  • Freefall
  • Tony Hawk: Professional Skateboarder
  • Pawprints of Katrina: Pets Saved and Lessons Learned
  • Where Hope Begins: One Family's Journey Out of Tragedy-And the Reporter Who Helped Them Make It
  • Elijah's Cup: A Family's Journey into the Community and Culture of High-functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome (Revised edition)
  • The Escort: Walking to Eternity with My Brother
  • War Is...: Soldiers, Survivors, and Storytellers Talk About War
  • Facing Demons
  • Teenage Wasteland: Suburbia's Dead End Kids
  • Vampires: A Field Guide to the Creatures That Stalk the Night
Hello there! I’m Emily Smucker: Full-time student, part-time writer, and every-once-in-a-while adventurer. I blog at emilysmucker.com about traveling, books, culture, and my life as a Mennonite girl in college. Basically, whatever kindles my interest at the moment.
More about Emily Smucker...