Start by marking “Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail, #3)” as Want to Read:
Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail, #3)

Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  435 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The barbarian babe in the chainmail bikini has been a staple of fantasy fiction for as long as the genre has been in existence. Recently, however, she's undergone something of a transformation. Now that women have increasingly taken the reins of modern fantasy, she's no longer an object of male wishful thinking but a battling heroine in her own right; a sassy icon who stan...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published May 1st 1999 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about Chicks 'n Chained Males, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicks 'n Chained Males

Mandy Beyers
This creative, funny collection of short stories spoofs the famous plotline of damsels in distress by having women warriors of various types rescuing the males in danger that cross their paths. The settings range from ancient Greece to Africa to the core of the earth and all types of situations are created by the authors included in this third "Chicks" anthology. This humorous collection is certainly worth a read.
Greyflank
My top three stories in here that made me laugh at loud whilst reading them over lunch:

"Leg Irons, the Bitch, and the Wardrobe" by Laura Frankos, featuring the invention of the musical comedy and starring a murderous Nora Desmond... in my mind, at least. I loved the touch of Phantom of the Opera, too.

"Baubles, Bangles and Beads" by Kevin Andrew Murphy, featuring transformation, my fave theme which did a nice job of explaining the magical physic of magic use with a nice bit of deductive reasoning...more
Frank Taranto
This is the second book I've read in this series. Like the first, it was full of fun stories. No greeat literature here, but definitely alot of enjoyment.

Annie
Funny stories that appeal to my feminist side--my favorites were "Leg Irons, the Bitch, and the Wardrobe" by Laura Frankos, a hilarious story about a prima donna princess who can't act and a bodyguard with a theatrical bent, and "Cross CHILDREN Walk" by Esther M. Friesner about a crossing guard who finds her stride by battling dragons and taking down bureaucrats in the town council while restoring the statuses of a schoolgirl and a professor. Oh, I liked them all. Good, fun read.
Bill
The third collection of humorous Amazon stories collectively called the Chicks Ahoy trilogy. A nice change of pace from Honor Harrington (David Weber) or Ky Vatta (Elizabeth Moon). Read Last of the Amazons (Steven Pressfield) for a serious look at the female warriors.
Benjamin Thomas
Got this as a free download and it definitely proves the axiom..."You get what you pay for." 2 stars is being generous. Just not any good stories here...not bad per se, just seemed to be on a 6th grade level. I like the concept, just not the result.
Pam
This is a series of short stories. Some I liked some were eh.. The idea of the series is that it's the women who are out there saving the world and not the men. A fun fluffy read but it could have been better.
Ross
Not really my thing. Some of the stories were entertaining, but I really could have put this book down and never felt the urge to pick it up again, ever.
Heide
A great little collection of short stories. Nothing overly remarkable, but a pleasant read.
Katie
Nov 12, 2011 Katie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007, s-f
Fourth in the series, and the concept's getting a bit old.
Kjirsten
Dec 03, 2008 Kjirsten rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kjirsten by: Sci Fi/Fantasy book club
Fun short stories where the woman saves the day.
Nora
Warped, but hilarious!
Miza Peters
Miza Peters marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Clifford  Johnson
Clifford Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Psychopomp
Psychopomp is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2014
Molly Forst
Molly Forst marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
  • Smart Dragons, Foolish Elves
  • Sword and Sorceress XX
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • Heroics for Beginners
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • Murder by Magic: Twenty Tales of Crime and the Supernatural
  • Masterpieces of Fantasy and Wonder
  • Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors (Guardians of the Flame, #1-3)
Esther M. Friesner was educated at Vassar College, where she completed B.A's in both Spanish and Drama. She went to on to Yale University; within five years she was awarded an M.A. and Ph.D. in Spanish. She taught Spanish at Yale for a number of years before going on to become a full-time author of fantasy and science fiction. She has published twenty-seven novels so far; her most recent titles in...more
More about Esther M. Friesner...
Nobody's Princess (Nobody's Princess, #1) Nobody's Prize (Nobody's Princess, #2) Sphinx's Princess (Sphinx's Princess, #1) Sphinx's Queen (Sphinx's Princess, #2) Chicks in Chainmail (Chicks in Chainmail, #1)