Tochter der Finsternis (The Immortals, #1)

Tochter der Finsternis (Blue Bloods #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  94,975 ratings  ·  4,082 reviews
Seit Jahrhunderten ist New York die Stadt der Vampire. Sie leben unerkannt unter den Menschen, bis eines Tages ein Unglück geschieht.

„Es ist so, wie ich befürchtet habe“, flüsterte Skylers Großmutter kurz vor ihrem letzten Atemzug. „Die Silver Bloods sind zurückgekehrt. Du allein kannst sie besiegen. Allegra war die Stärkste von uns allen und du bist ihre Tochter.“

Langes d...more
Published 2009 by Ravensburger Buchverlag (first published March 27th 2006)

Haley
This book had the potential to be amazing: affluent teens learn in their fifteenth year that they are reincarnated vampires who will never really die, only come back to reenter another 'cycle' of life.

unfortunately, it was terrible. One gets the impression that La Cruz either rushed through this, or had a constant bout of writers block. The writing is forced and trite, and things that should have been ommitted (why do we need a description of every single item of food throughout the book?)and s...more
Kat Kennedy
So I was reading a Cracked article a little while ago. It told me that you get addicted to pop music because it sets off the pleasure centre of your brain. Cracked also told me that your brain derives pleasure from particularly predictable music because your brain enjoys predicting things and enjoys being right even more.

Nickelback are crapity, crap, crap!
Finally, humanity's explanation for Nickelback

No... seriously, look at this:

Look at this photograph
Everytime I do it makes me _________
How did our eyes get so red
And what the he...more
Joyzi
Jan 03, 2011 Joyzi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire fans, peeps who don't mind ripoffs
Recommended to Joyzi by: Julie and Szam
Book Review

Blue_Bloods_Movie_Cast_by_xx1wingedangel
(This pic is from deviantart.com btw)

I've been wanting to read this series for a long time now but unfortunately I was always got sidetracked by other vampire series (e.g. The Black Dagger Brotherhood series, Vampire Academy, House of Night, Evernight Series, Morganville Vampires, Sookie Stackhouse series, The Mortal Instruments Trilogy, Night Huntress). Whoa that was a long list, should I just say I'm a vampire addict? (blame this on Meyer's Twilight).

Okay so yeah I picked it up du...more
Leah
Okay....I have to drag my soap box out...er sckrrrkk (keep in mind this is my opinion and I don't wish to offend anyone). Alright, I began to read junior fiction and young adult books to cut out the undesirable sex scenes and vulgar language. Well, I have had to stop reading highly entertaining young adult books because of the sex and language. I am highly disappointed in the trend now-a-days. Is it any wonder teen pregnancy is a problem, as well as substance abuse and vulgar language, if this k...more
Katy
Feb 13, 2009 Katy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katy by: (Borrowed from Erin R.)
This book was a massive mental battle for me, between the decent parts of the plot (notice I say PLOT, not book) and the horrendousness of the rest of the book. Okay, let me put this bluntly: "Blue Bloods" stunk.

First of all, the story was not believable. Not because it included a pack of civilized vampires that were conveniently all wealthy and living in New York City. Because the characters' reactions were so obviously fabricated that I rolled my eyes more than once while reading. Schuyler, fo...more
Crystal
Sep 04, 2008 Crystal rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who don't like books with substance
I absolutely hated this book. HATED it. I'm not sure I've ever been able to say that about a novel before, but I can honestly say that about this one. Being a long-time fan of vampires, I picked this up at Barnes & Noble thinking that it might be a quick, easy, interesting read. The book itself is not terribly long, but I had a hard time getting through it.

For one thing, that characters aren't likable...AT ALL. The vampires are an ancient group of rich, snobby elitists who care more about f...more
notyourmonkey
J.D. Stroube
This series is basically Gossip Girl meets Twilight. Melissa de la Cruz is obviously a great author...However, she does not follow through with this series. She spends more time talking about designer labels, and what the elite are wearing...than she does building up the plot.

I felt completely let down, because many people had suggested this series to me.

Having said that...
I still want to know what happens, which means I will give Melissa de la Cruz a second chance by reading the second install...more
Annalisa
Dec 30, 2010 Annalisa rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annalisa by: Annie
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
De la Cruz does an impressive job of creating a world of high society New York vampires that date all the way back to Plymouth, to the beginning of time, really, but the book focuses on Plymouth. I loved that she ties her story into a bit of real historical mystery, the Lost Colony of Roanoke, a group of early pilgrim settlers that disappeared without a trace. Family lines and real estate and designer clothes are all important to setting the stage for the New York it crowd, but the name-dropping...more
Tatiana
Dec 12, 2009 Tatiana rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls obsessed with opulent NYC lifestyle, name brands, and vampires
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather, Crystal
Shelves: 2009, ya, romancelandia
This is the first book in another paranormal YA series. I've been disappointed with quite a few lately, but "Blue Bloods" seems a little bit better than some.

First of all, it's not based solely on romance. For a change, this book is written in 3rd person, so you don't have to endure hundreds of pages in a mind of some boy-obsessed teenage girl. Cruz also develops a rather interesting vampire lore which even has some well-known historical events weaved into it.

I am not going to pretend however th...more
Eileen
I read all three of these books in a day apiece. They're badly written, ludicrous candy. Seriously, rich NYC socialite vampires? Who are also ANGELS? And models, apparently? And are almost 100% undeveloped as characters?

Don't get me started on how "Croatan" actually refers to one of the native American tribes in the barrier islands of NC, and was probably meant to serve as a direction for the rest of the Roanaoke colonists when they came back from England. I mean, yes, the whole subject of the R...more
Kristen Bongard
Oh, my silly love of teen vampire books. Melissa de la Cruz makes a fun world, easy to read, with characters that you love and hate. Full of all the angst and envy of a proper high school novel, but with the added bite of the supernatural.

I'm charmed by Schuyler, the accidentally beautiful protagonist. She is endearing in her inability to fit in, which is something I'm sure many of us can relate to.

The Force Twins. How can you help but love to hate Mimi Force? A girl who has everything, and kno...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
karen
Oh dear. This is like the Twilight thing, isn't it? It's SO HORRIBLE and I can't stop reading.

Okay, the good: Melissa de la Cruz, in Blue Bloods, has created a whole new sort of vampire. All the old Buffy rules are out. It involves a REALLY complicated bunch of lore, but by the end, I understood most of the rules. Oh, also good, I was surprised by mention of Roanoke, one of my pet fascinations. There is a little bit of a history lesson (not too serious, don't worry about thinking, other than the...more
Leonie
I've just started this book, and there are a number of things in which this book is disappointing.

For one, Melissa de la Cruz keeps on nagging about what everybody is wearing. On and on. I couldn't care less. It also contributes to annoying fact #2. The books moves damn slowly. I'm on page 97 and nothing has happened so far. And the same plot-hints are being dropped over and over. I'm laying the book away now, perhaps I will finish it later...

... And I picked it up anyway, like 3 hours later.....more
Jaemi
Schuyler Van Alen leads a mixed-up life. She attends a prestigious NYC school, where she doesn't fit in with her peers, except her best friend Oliver, and though her family used to be one of the wealthiest in the city, their holdings are now few and money sparse. She doesn't know her father, her mother has been in a coma in the hospital for most of her life, and she lives with her foreboding grandmother.

When the uber-boy at school suddenly takes an interest in her, she doesn't know what to think...more
Rachel
Traci
What the actual hell did I just read?

Okay, I'll admit, I picked this up in the first place because it sounded vaguely like Gossip Girl, which is a guilty pleasure of mine. It also sounded vaguely like Twilight, which I wouldn't really call a guilty pleasure, but I will admit that there was a lot of entertainment value there.

I feel like I just went to a distant relative's house for dinner, and I'm not sure what exactly happened in the kitchen and I'm a little afraid to ask, but I have to be pol...more
Denys L.H.
Mar 08, 2009 Denys L.H. rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wealthy fucks
Starting with the positive points, they had really interesting vampires. The idea of older generations of vampires being reincarnated into future generations sounded pretty cool. They don't really die, they come back in the future generations as someone else with the same soul. I thought that was pretty well thought-out.

Now it's time for the negative points. And boy, did I have many. First, the writing. I was getting sick of all those detailed descriptions about clothing and what designer brand...more
Arlene
I guess I got caught up with all of the vampire folklore because of the Twilight series, and I was looking for a substitute. Blue Bloods is a light and to a small degree entertaining read. It kept me interested barely enough to want to finish the book, but it definitely was not captivating.

I feel the author had an opportunity to develop her plot, which was extremely original. However, the entire novel lacked some sort of cohesive concept or stimulating event to give the storyline some needed sp...more
Petra
After reading the premise I thought this book had the potential to be really good, but it didn't really reach them for me. Like most vampire books, it has it's own unique take on them which was the only part of the story I loved.

Usually, I like to see a story being told from different perspectives, but here it was a little annoying. In some cases you would have the exact same sequence of events explained, the only difference being the perspective, which didn't add much to the storyline.

I like S...more
Colleen Houck
I almost felt like I was in NYC again while reading this book. Love the idea of the silver bloods and the connection to the pilgrims. Very creative!
Rubal
The Mythology:-

It's different than the usual vampire-lore used in every other YA vampire novel.Something interesting.And that is one of the reasons why I will probably read the sequels.To see how the author develops this Gossip Girls meets Vampires story of rich and affluent vampires who are actually fallen angels ,all in the backdrop of high school .

The Name dropping:-

Paragraphs have been devoted to describe what the characters are wearing in tedious details.A little mention here and there does...more
Rachel (Miss Perfection)
Read the full review here @A Perfection Called Books

The Concept:

Blue Bloods is a trio combination of Gossip Girl, angels, and vampires. The idea and premise of this series is original and great! Basically the angels who sided with Lucifer were cast down from heaven and now they are Blue Bloods, vampires, who live in 100 year long cycles, trying to achieve redemption. I like it! It's a cool concept :) Some parts of the concept are a bit hard to grasp. Cruz doesn't do a very good job of explaining...more
Tamara
ACTUAL RATİNG:2.75 stars

The Ingredients:Add The Gossip Girl. Mix it with Beverly Hills. Add a bit of Twilight. And a little piece from every YA novel you can remember reading.

The Final Taste/The Verdict:Doesnt leave a bad taste in your mouth but it definitely could have been better.

The Story:The glamorous life of the Upper East Side citiziens

-with a vampire twist.

What Went Wrong:What the book focuses on is completely wrong. The author should have focused on the story than what the characters we...more
Krys

So, Blue Bloods is one of those series that I have been meaning to get to for a while now and just haven't picked up longer that shelving it. Last night I decided it was time...and, lo and behold, not even 24 hours later and I am done with the first book. Wow, what a ride!

Blue Bloods starts out with a bit of information about the landing in Plymouth Rock. The plight of the colonials turns up from time to time throughout the novel, but the bulk of it is set in present day New York City. At the pr...more
Andrea
In New York City a secret is seeping out. Schuyler Van Alen is a sophomore at a prestigious private school. Suddenly, when she turns fifteen, there is a visible mosaic of blue veins on her arm. She starts to crave raw food -- and she is having flashbacks to ancient times. Then a girl from her school is found dead . . . drained of all her blood. Schuyler doesn’t know what to think. Mimi and Jack Force are also part of this mystery sweeping in New York city and they are also the most powerful of...more
Vasya
Uhm, what to say, what to say?

I didn't like the beginning of this book, nor the end for that matter, the culmination was not so culminating as I expected, so basically, it was not the best book I've read so far, but it does have potential (or maybe I so wanted to read a vampire book that I kinda just want it to have potential, but that stands with a question mark at the end because it has yet to be seen in the next installments).

The characters were a bit cliche, like Mimi, or John for that matte...more
Julie
Dec 15, 2010 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire Story Addicts
Recommended to Julie by: Che Artuz and Szamicaela
LizzieBCT
*EDIT* God I just plain didnt like this book I was >< <------ This close to giving up entirely on it -.-" it was in a way good I mean The whole vampire being rich thing was kind of good but I HATED IT!!

The Characters were practically whores the girls I mean, like seriously can they be anymore slutty.
The guys, you cant picture every well and they tried to make them all sound OH MY GOSH dieing gorgues they did a terrible job at that NOT ALL PEOPLE ARE DIE HARD SEXY!! The "scene" um.........more
Jack or Oliver 18 96 Jul 14, 2014 11:23PM
OFHS Student Group: Blue Bloods 1 6 May 30, 2014 07:32AM
Teen Critic: May 2014 BOTM #2: Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz 8 33 May 24, 2014 05:20PM
Fangirls and Fanboys: Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz - Starting January 24th 6 21 May 06, 2014 12:27PM
Top 5 Schuyler Van Alen 5 61 Jul 10, 2013 04:33PM
The Challenge Fac...: ☼ Elishia and Marla reading Blue Bloods 8 15 Jul 09, 2013 09:56AM
Blue Bloods: Angels or Vampires? 7 36 May 28, 2013 06:15AM
  • My Love Lies Bleeding (Drake Chronicles, #1)
  • Dance with a Vampire (Vampire Kisses, #4)
  • Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)
  • Stake That (Blood Coven Vampire, #2)
  • Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1)
  • Evernight (Evernight, #1)
  • The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire
  • Bite Me! (Bite Me, #1)
  • Wicked: Witch & Curse (Wicked, #1-2)
  • Red is for Remembrance (Blue is for Nightmares, #4)
  • Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)
21911
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like...more
More about Melissa de la Cruz...
Masquerade (Blue Bloods, #2) Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3) The Van Alen Legacy (Blue Bloods, #4) Misguided Angel (Blue Bloods, #5) Lost in Time (Blue Bloods, #6)

22 trivia questions