Start by marking “The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow” as Want to Read:
The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow

The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  674 ratings  ·  96 reviews
Look! It’s a book

With a mouse and his house,

And a mole in a hole,

And a bike with a spike,

And, of course,

A big, fat cow that goes . . .

5,4,3,2,1 . . . KAPOW!

New York Times-bestselling author Andy Griffiths, follows up his slimy, rhymey, easy-to-read hit, The Cat on the Mat is Flat, with ten more hilarious short, rhyming stories guaranteed to make kids laugh.

* Kirkus Reviews
Published September 29th 2009 by Feiwel & Friends (first published July 1st 2008)

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGirls in Tears by Jacqueline WilsonEclipse by Stephenie MeyerThe Bad Book by Andy GriffithsThe BFG by Roald Dahl
wow
13th out of 62 books — 10 voters
Bink & Gollie by Kate DiCamilloWe are in a Book! by Mo WillemsBlackout by John RoccoEven Monsters Need Haircuts by Matthew McElligottThat Cat Can't Stay by Thad Krasnesky
2013 Monarch Nominees
12th out of 20 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Nola
This is a fun chapter book with 10 very short stories that are like poems. From big fat cows that go 'Kapow!' to Klaus the mouse with the very small house to Lumpy-head Fred who kept falling out of bed, there's a lot here to amuse both adults and kids. Though I did think Noel the Mole needed a better story arc - LOL. It's a good book for early readers as the words are fairly easy. I read it to a 7-year-old girl who's just started Grade One and she was able to read some to me with help.

The black
Lauren
My son, the first grade emerging reader, doesn't especially like reading so I struggle to find books that are easy enough but not too boring. He is enjoying this one right now. I like the combination of funny but easy text and goofy illustrations. Denton's drawings combine Silverstein and Quentin Blake in their goofy sketchiness. These are fun books and I'll have to look into Griffiths' other work.
Raevyn ~I Stand For Jesus~
Very easy, but to some people I'm sure that's a good thing. The stories are cute.
Mattie Weck

Personal reaction – The style of this book reminded me somewhat of Dr. Suess. I think the format being ten short stories really helps to engage the reader. I especially liked the ending in that the collection of all the stories are wrapped together.

Purpose(s)/Use in the classroom-

• Read aloud to make a curricular connection: I think that the purpose of this as a classroom room would foremost be simply for a fun read. Students will find the silliness of the story hilarious and really enjoy it fo
Fjóla
A really great transitional book for beginning readers. It's really just an advanced early reader, but at a thick 144 pages it presents like a chapter book, or "big kid" book. The humor is "awesome" and the black and white illustrations while somewhat cursory are often quite detailed and intriguing. Definitely inspired by Dr. Seuss, or maybe you could label this "the poor man's Dr. Seuss".

My six year old just discovered the Australian Andy Griffiths, and he will devour anything by him while laug
H
Snort, giggle.... the 8 year old boy in me loves this book of poems that includes gigantic mice and exploding cows. Would be great for inspiring older kids to write poetry, and for making younger kids giggle out loud.
babyhippoface
I was disappointed in this one. Kids will probably like it because it's a beginning reader with humor, but I will always guide them to Mo Willems first.
LeeAnn
This is one of the kids' favorite book in my elementary library! It flies off the shelf! So, I had to grab it quickly before it flew out the door again!

What a hilarious book! It's got the rhyminess and expansive drawings of Dr Seuss with the quirky style of pictures with story of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, with an almost graphic novel feel, rolled into a fun-to-read package! I whizzed right through it; I can see how young readers will not be able to put this book down until the very last page!

(I thi
Shonna
When I first read through this book I didn't like it. The stories were ultra short and not held together in any apparently cohesive way, nor did they have any layered meanings. But then I read it with a child I tutor once a week, and my opinion took a big turn.

The student is in third grade but at about a first grade reading level and trying to improve. He immediately chose this book from my stack based on the cover. There was something funny about it to him and his eyes brightened. When he star
Tasha
This beginning reader features ten very short stories that are silly, raucous and great fun. The book starts with a story where it is raining big fat cows, then tells the stories of Noel the Mole, Klaus the Mouse, and Willy the Worm. The fun continues with human protagonists who ride bikes with spikes and wear lots of hats all at once. All of the stories are told with only a few words, allowing the illustrations to carry a lot of the humor. An ideal read for children who are reluctant to start r ...more
Michelle
With its zany illustrations, laugh-out-loud comic humor, and unconventional layout, The Big Fat Cow that goes KAPOW, reads like a combination of Dr. Seuss, Dav Pilkey, and Shel Silverstein, and is a perfect choice for reluctant readers. Griffith’s text and Denton’s illustrations complement each other and work well together to tell the stories. Griffith uses moveable typeface to add visual interest and to help move the action of each individual story along by changing the sizes and placement of t ...more
Anna
Reminiscent of the hilarity and hyperbole of Dr. Seuss and The Wimpy Kid, Griffith’s easy reader is comprised of ten limerick-like tales: Big Fat Cows; Noel the Mole; Klaus the Mouse; Willy the Worm; Keith, Ed, and Daisy; Lumpy-head Fred; Brave Dave; Ruth’s Super Scooter; Mike’s Bike; and Somewhere Less Spiky. Pervasive rhyming and outrageous plot turns are showcased by various-sized typographies, childlike stick figures, and crude thick-lined drawings to emphasize whimsical story turns and misc ...more
teresa
My twins are moving into the beginning reader set. I find most of the beginning to read books awful--they build on an already existing character like Dora or Lego mini-figs and build a book around it. If you expecting a story worth reading you will be disappointed. No wonder Dr. Seuss was revolutionary way back then his books are still head and shoulders above most of these books.

There have been a group of male writers--Jon Scieszka, Lane Smith, Andy Griffiths--trying to provide books across th
Becky
When this came across my desk I just had to read it! Look at that adorable exploding cow! This is the type of book the defies categorization. Is it an early reader? Sort of. Is it a collection of short stories? Not really, but kind of. Is it totally off the wall hilarious? Oh so much yes.

The first of this type of short story, picture, nonsense book was The Cat on the Mat is Flat, another popular title at my library. The book is basically a series of very short, rhyming silly stories that young k
:Donna Marie
THE BIG FAT COW THAT GOES KAPOW Reminiscent of (and definitely influenced by) the works of Dr. Seuss, this Easy Reader is VERY entertaining! I can't imagine kids NOT being over the MOO-oon for this one! ...more
Catherine
Nov 13, 2010 Catherine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Reluctant/Low Readers
Shelves: picture-books
Published 2008.

This is a collection of 10 easy-to-read short stories. The short and simple text uses rhyme in the vein of Dr. Seuss. The attractive cover and cartoonish art will be enjoyable to elementary school students.

There is no theme exactly, but if you are an early or reluctant reader who loves silly, weird things,you will love this book!

The layout does not lend itself to a good read aloud book (unless you could show it on a document camera). The best use of this book would be for studen
Emily
Very funny silly short stories. Good for younger advanced readers (6-7 year olds) as well as a high interest read for struggling older readers (5th grade). Kids laughed reading it.
October 2014
Katy
Collection of hilarious stories reminiscent of Dr. Seuss. Perfectly detailed doodle style illustrations. Physically big, but the text on each page is very minimal.
Stefanie Pitzer
What a delightful rhyming book that I think all kids would love! It is an easy read, extremely silly and it's going in my classroom library immediately!
Julie
This book is great! My second graders who struggle with reading absolutely love this book! It's funny, easy to read, and everyone else wants to read it too.
Will Uthmeyer
This book is an amazing book my best boy loves it. We'll it is my favourite book to. ...more
Cindy
I love cows, so I was instantly drawn to the cover. And what could be better than cows you ask? Well cows that go Kapow of course! As soon as I started reading it, I was instantly reminded of Dr Seuss and my favourite poet of all time Shel Silverstein (even if he is scary looking) as it has that feel to it. It is a collection of 10 (for lack of a better term) "mini-stories" that are all un-related. Each story is super easy to read, they rhyme, are hilarious and absolutely make no sense, they're ...more
Avacrocker
The big fat cow that goes kaboom is so funny i love it
Amy
I thought this was fun, silly book that kids enjoy reading.
Supercoolcharlie
i didn't know cows could explode! boom!
JaNeal
Okay, this book is totally irreverant--kind of in the Captain Underpants vein. There are some incredibly hilarious moments, though, and I thought the format was especially early-reader friendly. I had to keep it on my early-reader shelf because it does so many things so well... just be prepared for the spike on the bike and a handful of other should-they-be-reading-that material. Honestly, it's pretty harmless, but I don't want anyone to say I didn't forewarn them. The illustrations are both sim ...more
Jackson L
Laugh out Loud Tons
Josh
NICE BOOK
Michele
This funny book is extremely popular in my elementary school library. Extremely short black and white illustrated stories with just a few words of text on each page. The stories are simple and absurd. It is raining cows and cows are exploding. It is silly and fun. It has the added benefit of looking like a chunky chapter book while really being more a beginning reader which appeals to young readers wishing they were chapter book readers already.
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic
  • Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret
  • Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same!
  • Lulu and the Brontosaurus
  • A Birthday for Bear: An Early Reader
  • Clemente!
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • Lousy Rotten Stinkin' Grapes
  • Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed
  • Happy Pig Day! (Elephant & Piggie, #16)
  • The Dunderheads
  • Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt
  • Pop!: The Invention of Bubble Gum
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
  • Marshall Armstrong is New to Our School
21956
Andy Griffiths is Australia’s most popular children’s writer. He is the author of over 20 books, including nonsense verse, short stories, comic novels and plays. Over the past 15 years Andy’s books have been New York Times bestsellers, won over 50 children’s choice awards, been adapted as a television cartoon series and sold over 5 million copies worldwide.

Andy is best known as the author of the
More about Andy Griffiths...
The Day My Butt Went Psycho The 13-Storey Treehouse Just Crazy (PB) Just Annoying Just Stupid!