Start by marking “The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow” as Want to Read:
The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow

The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow

Look! It’s a book

With a mouse and his house,

And a mole in a hole,

And a bike with a spike,

And, of course,

A big, fat cow that goes . . .

5,4,3,2,1 . . . KAPOW!

New York Times-bestselling author Andy Griffiths, follows up his slimy, rhymey, easy-to-read hit, The Cat on the Mat is Flat, with ten more hilarious short, rhyming stories guaranteed to make kids laugh.

* Kirkus Reviews
Published September 29th 2009 by Feiwel & Friends (first published July 1st 2008)

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleEclipse by Stephenie MeyerThe BFG by Roald DahlThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
16th out of 74 books — 12 voters
Bink & Gollie by Kate DiCamilloWe are in a Book! by Mo WillemsBlackout by John RoccoEven Monsters Need Haircuts by Matthew McElligottLulu and the Brontosaurus by Judith Viorst
2013 Monarch Nominees
12th out of 20 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 27, 2015 Nola rated it really liked it
This is a fun chapter book with 10 very short stories that are like poems. From big fat cows that go 'Kapow!' to Klaus the mouse with the very small house to Lumpy-head Fred who kept falling out of bed, there's a lot here to amuse both adults and kids. Though I did think Noel the Mole needed a better story arc - LOL. It's a good book for early readers as the words are fairly easy. I read it to a 7-year-old girl who's just started Grade One and she was able to read some to me with help.

The black
Sep 15, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
My son, the first grade emerging reader, doesn't especially like reading so I struggle to find books that are easy enough but not too boring. He is enjoying this one right now. I like the combination of funny but easy text and goofy illustrations. Denton's drawings combine Silverstein and Quentin Blake in their goofy sketchiness. These are fun books and I'll have to look into Griffiths' other work.
Mar 08, 2012 H rated it really liked it
Shelves: monarch-2013
Snort, giggle.... the 8 year old boy in me loves this book of poems that includes gigantic mice and exploding cows. Would be great for inspiring older kids to write poetry, and for making younger kids giggle out loud.
Dec 15, 2009 babyhippoface rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this one. Kids will probably like it because it's a beginning reader with humor, but I will always guide them to Mo Willems first.
Oct 25, 2016 Cat rated it it was amazing
When I first discovered this book on or shelves at the library I couldn't wait to introduce it to some of my reluctant readers! This is such a funny book! Kids will love reading it!
Nov 27, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-fiction
With its zany illustrations, laugh-out-loud comic humor, and unconventional layout, The Big Fat Cow that goes KAPOW, reads like a combination of Dr. Seuss, Dav Pilkey, and Shel Silverstein, and is a perfect choice for reluctant readers. Griffith’s text and Denton’s illustrations complement each other and work well together to tell the stories. Griffith uses moveable typeface to add visual interest and to help move the action of each individual story along by changing the sizes and placement of t ...more
Jul 07, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it
Reminiscent of the hilarity and hyperbole of Dr. Seuss and The Wimpy Kid, Griffith’s easy reader is comprised of ten limerick-like tales: Big Fat Cows; Noel the Mole; Klaus the Mouse; Willy the Worm; Keith, Ed, and Daisy; Lumpy-head Fred; Brave Dave; Ruth’s Super Scooter; Mike’s Bike; and Somewhere Less Spiky. Pervasive rhyming and outrageous plot turns are showcased by various-sized typographies, childlike stick figures, and crude thick-lined drawings to emphasize whimsical story turns and misc ...more
Jan 10, 2013 Shonna rated it really liked it
When I first read through this book I didn't like it. The stories were ultra short and not held together in any apparently cohesive way, nor did they have any layered meanings. But then I read it with a child I tutor once a week, and my opinion took a big turn.

The student is in third grade but at about a first grade reading level and trying to improve. He immediately chose this book from my stack based on the cover. There was something funny about it to him and his eyes brightened. When he star
Feb 25, 2010 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This beginning reader features ten very short stories that are silly, raucous and great fun. The book starts with a story where it is raining big fat cows, then tells the stories of Noel the Mole, Klaus the Mouse, and Willy the Worm. The fun continues with human protagonists who ride bikes with spikes and wear lots of hats all at once. All of the stories are told with only a few words, allowing the illustrations to carry a lot of the humor. An ideal read for children who are reluctant to start r ...more
Mattie Weck
May 10, 2015 Mattie Weck rated it really liked it

Personal reaction – The style of this book reminded me somewhat of Dr. Suess. I think the format being ten short stories really helps to engage the reader. I especially liked the ending in that the collection of all the stories are wrapped together.

Purpose(s)/Use in the classroom-

• Read aloud to make a curricular connection: I think that the purpose of this as a classroom room would foremost be simply for a fun read. Students will find the silliness of the story hilarious and really enjoy it fo
Jun 03, 2011 teresa rated it really liked it
My twins are moving into the beginning reader set. I find most of the beginning to read books awful--they build on an already existing character like Dora or Lego mini-figs and build a book around it. If you expecting a story worth reading you will be disappointed. No wonder Dr. Seuss was revolutionary way back then his books are still head and shoulders above most of these books.

There have been a group of male writers--Jon Scieszka, Lane Smith, Andy Griffiths--trying to provide books across th
Mar 29, 2010 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, lol
When this came across my desk I just had to read it! Look at that adorable exploding cow! This is the type of book the defies categorization. Is it an early reader? Sort of. Is it a collection of short stories? Not really, but kind of. Is it totally off the wall hilarious? Oh so much yes.

The first of this type of short story, picture, nonsense book was The Cat on the Mat is Flat, another popular title at my library. The book is basically a series of very short, rhyming silly stories that young k
A really great transitional book for beginning readers. It's really just an advanced early reader, but at a thick 144 pages it presents like a chapter book, or "big kid" book. The humor is "awesome" and the black and white illustrations while somewhat cursory are often quite detailed and intriguing. Definitely inspired by Dr. Seuss, or maybe you could label this "the poor man's Dr. Seuss".

My six year old just discovered the Australian Andy Griffiths, and he will devour anything by him while laug
Nov 13, 2010 Catherine rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Reluctant/Low Readers
Shelves: picture-books
Published 2008.

This is a collection of 10 easy-to-read short stories. The short and simple text uses rhyme in the vein of Dr. Seuss. The attractive cover and cartoonish art will be enjoyable to elementary school students.

There is no theme exactly, but if you are an early or reluctant reader who loves silly, weird things,you will love this book!

The layout does not lend itself to a good read aloud book (unless you could show it on a document camera). The best use of this book would be for studen
Mar 10, 2014 LeeAnn rated it it was amazing
This is one of the kids' favorite book in my elementary library! It flies off the shelf! So, I had to grab it quickly before it flew out the door again!

What a hilarious book! It's got the rhyminess and expansive drawings of Dr Seuss with the quirky style of pictures with story of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, with an almost graphic novel feel, rolled into a fun-to-read package! I whizzed right through it; I can see how young readers will not be able to put this book down until the very last page!

(I thi
Oct 26, 2015 JaNeal rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-readers
Okay, this book is totally irreverant--kind of in a Captain Underpants sort of way. There are some incredibly hilarious moments, and I thought the format was especially early-reader friendly. I had to keep it on my early-reader shelf because it does so many things so well... just be prepared for the spike on the bike and a handful of other should-they-be-reading-that material. Honestly, it's pretty harmless and highly entertaining, but I don't want anyone to say I didn't warn them. The illustrat ...more
Jan 08, 2010 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-funny
I love cows, so I was instantly drawn to the cover. And what could be better than cows you ask? Well cows that go Kapow of course! As soon as I started reading it, I was instantly reminded of Dr Seuss and my favourite poet of all time Shel Silverstein (even if he is scary looking) as it has that feel to it. It is a collection of 10 (for lack of a better term) "mini-stories" that are all un-related. Each story is super easy to read, they rhyme, are hilarious and absolutely make no sense, they're ...more
Dec 16, 2012 Michele rated it liked it
This funny book is extremely popular in my elementary school library. Extremely short black and white illustrated stories with just a few words of text on each page. The stories are simple and absurd. It is raining cows and cows are exploding. It is silly and fun. It has the added benefit of looking like a chunky chapter book while really being more a beginning reader which appeals to young readers wishing they were chapter book readers already.
Nov 01, 2011 Stephanie rated it liked it
I decided to read this book because it know the author and i thik he is very funny ! this book comes under the poetry category on the bingo board. i like this book because its funny, it rhymes, it comes with stickers and its a very easy read ! i dislike this book because sometimes rhymes get annoying but other than that quite funny! i would recommend this book to people who want a quick review on a poetry book! and find cows going kapow funny :)
Jul 18, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
This is a book of ten short, silly, lyrical stories. Each is only a few words, illustrated with comedic black and white images. The layout, size and fonts of the wording change throughout the book which give kids practice reading different styles of letters. Yet the words always remain simple, without too many on a page, so children won't get overwhelmed. I think this a great book to start children with reading poetry.
Debbie Tanner
Mar 05, 2013 Debbie Tanner rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious. Boys will love it and if the girls ever get a chance to pry it out of the boys' hands, they will like it too. There are simple pictures and rhyming texts. It's awesome for little kids and it's so fat that the lower readers who are big kids won't mind reading it too. It would also make a great mentor text for writing.
Nov 07, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-readers
If Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein got together, this is what the result would be! Fun nonsense tales, great pen & ink drawings, and exploding cows. What more do you need?
Feb 10, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it
Lots of fun, silly rhymes that are easy to read for the beginning reader. I can see a kid's confidence being bolstered by reading all by himself and something that has a lot of humor attached to the words.

Very Seuss-like in its text and illustrations, yet a little more meat for the reader moving up.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
Jan 21, 2013 Niki (Daydream Reader) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, early-reader
I really wanted to find some more early reader books that my second graders would enjoy! I have some students that really enjoy Fly Guy books but I didn't know what else to recommend. I think this is perfect. The pictures and rhymes are so funny! I can't wait to share Andy Griffiths books with them. Thanks for the recommendation Mr. Schu! :)
Jul 24, 2010 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I know a dozen little boys who'd love this book. It has goofy, swinging rhyme reminiscent of Dr. Seuss readers, and scribbly art that will make any kid say "I can draw like that!" The book looks like a chapter book but has 10 easy-reader-style stories, so upper grade kids can still feel ok holding it in public. And the countdown with the exploding cow? Guaranteed read-aloud hit!
Sep 30, 2011 Tam rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-book
This was a very silly book filled with 10 short stories.

One story is "Willy the Worm".
"This is Willy. Willy the worm.
He goes to squirm school to learn how to squirm.
But Willy the worm is a very bad learner.
He's wiggly on the straight and he's a terrible turner.
Willy never pays attention, and he fools around a lot.
He always ends up in a great big knot!"
Andrea Estelle
Dec 31, 2010 Andrea Estelle rated it it was amazing
We love this book. It is one we have read over and over and over. The rhymes are so fun for little boys. They love the rhyme about Mike and his spikey bike and of course the ones with the exploding cow. I love the part that talks about the clouds being "trampolines up in the sky" it is such a fun and imaginative book and it is simple enough for younger kids to like it.
Jan 14, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it
Not only does this book have exploding, overweight bovines, excessively spiky bikes, and a big mouse in a small house, but the stories are written in simple words suitable for very early readers like Nick. The pictures are pretty dang amusing too. Nick was unusually enthusiastic about reading this book, and it was just about exactly the right reading level for him.
Brenna Call
Mar 05, 2011 Brenna Call rated it it was ok
This book is a little bit Dr. Seuss, a little bit Shel Silverstein and a lot funny. The short text and funny pictures make this a perfect book for reluctant or beginning readers The 10 seemingly unrelated short stories can each be read alone but once you start reading chances are you won't be able to put this cute little book down.
Stephanie Croaning
Summer Book-a-Day Challenge #6 - This book reminds me a lot of Dr. Seuss combined with Dav Pilkey. Beginning independent readers will love this book for the easy-to-read rhymes, not too many words to a page, funny illustrations, and zany topics. And how can you not smile at a cow that goes kapow?!
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
  • Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic
  • Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same! (Ling & Ting, #1)
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt
  • Clemente!
  • A Birthday for Bear: An Early Reader
  • Happy Pig Day! (Elephant & Piggie, #16)
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Lousy Rotten Stinkin' Grapes
  • Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace (Frankie Pickle, #3)
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
  • Lulu and the Brontosaurus
  • That Cat Can't Stay
  • Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day
Andy Griffiths is Australia’s most popular children’s writer. He is the author of over 20 books, including nonsense verse, short stories, comic novels and plays. Over the past 15 years Andy’s books have been New York Times bestsellers, won over 50 children’s choice awards, been adapted as a television cartoon series and sold over 5 million copies worldwide.

Andy is best known as the author of the
More about Andy Griffiths...