The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow

The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  515 ratings  ·  85 reviews
Look! It’s a book

With a mouse and his house,

And a mole in a hole,

And a bike with a spike,

And, of course,

A big, fat cow that goes . . .

5,4,3,2,1 . . . KAPOW!

New York Times-bestselling author Andy Griffiths, follows up his slimy, rhymey, easy-to-read hit, The Cat on the Mat is Flat, with ten more hilarious short, rhyming stories guaranteed to make kids laugh.

* Kirkus Reviews...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Feiwel & Friends (first published July 1st 2008)

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGirls in Tears by Jacqueline WilsonEclipse by Stephenie MeyerThe Bad Book by Andy GriffithsThe BFG by Roald Dahl
wow
13th out of 62 books — 10 voters
Bink & Gollie by Kate DiCamilloBlackout by John RoccoWe are in a Book! by Mo WillemsEven Monsters Need Haircuts by Matthew McElligottThat Cat Can't Stay by Thad Krasnesky
2013 Monarch Nominees
12th out of 20 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauren
My son, the first grade emerging reader, doesn't especially like reading so I struggle to find books that are easy enough but not too boring. He is enjoying this one right now. I like the combination of funny but easy text and goofy illustrations. Denton's drawings combine Silverstein and Quentin Blake in their goofy sketchiness. These are fun books and I'll have to look into Griffiths' other work.
H
Snort, giggle.... the 8 year old boy in me loves this book of poems that includes gigantic mice and exploding cows. Would be great for inspiring older kids to write poetry, and for making younger kids giggle out loud.
babyhippoface
I was disappointed in this one. Kids will probably like it because it's a beginning reader with humor, but I will always guide them to Mo Willems first.
LeeAnn
This is one of the kids' favorite book in my elementary library! It flies off the shelf! So, I had to grab it quickly before it flew out the door again!

What a hilarious book! It's got the rhyminess and expansive drawings of Dr Seuss with the quirky style of pictures with story of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, with an almost graphic novel feel, rolled into a fun-to-read package! I whizzed right through it; I can see how young readers will not be able to put this book down until the very last page!

(I thi...more
Shonna
When I first read through this book I didn't like it. The stories were ultra short and not held together in any apparently cohesive way, nor did they have any layered meanings. But then I read it with a child I tutor once a week, and my opinion took a big turn.

The student is in third grade but at about a first grade reading level and trying to improve. He immediately chose this book from my stack based on the cover. There was something funny about it to him and his eyes brightened. When he star...more
Tasha
This beginning reader features ten very short stories that are silly, raucous and great fun. The book starts with a story where it is raining big fat cows, then tells the stories of Noel the Mole, Klaus the Mouse, and Willy the Worm. The fun continues with human protagonists who ride bikes with spikes and wear lots of hats all at once. All of the stories are told with only a few words, allowing the illustrations to carry a lot of the humor. An ideal read for children who are reluctant to start r...more
Michelle
With its zany illustrations, laugh-out-loud comic humor, and unconventional layout, The Big Fat Cow that goes KAPOW, reads like a combination of Dr. Seuss, Dav Pilkey, and Shel Silverstein, and is a perfect choice for reluctant readers. Griffith’s text and Denton’s illustrations complement each other and work well together to tell the stories. Griffith uses moveable typeface to add visual interest and to help move the action of each individual story along by changing the sizes and placement of t...more
Anna
Reminiscent of the hilarity and hyperbole of Dr. Seuss and The Wimpy Kid, Griffith’s easy reader is comprised of ten limerick-like tales: Big Fat Cows; Noel the Mole; Klaus the Mouse; Willy the Worm; Keith, Ed, and Daisy; Lumpy-head Fred; Brave Dave; Ruth’s Super Scooter; Mike’s Bike; and Somewhere Less Spiky. Pervasive rhyming and outrageous plot turns are showcased by various-sized typographies, childlike stick figures, and crude thick-lined drawings to emphasize whimsical story turns and misc...more
teresa
My twins are moving into the beginning reader set. I find most of the beginning to read books awful--they build on an already existing character like Dora or Lego mini-figs and build a book around it. If you expecting a story worth reading you will be disappointed. No wonder Dr. Seuss was revolutionary way back then his books are still head and shoulders above most of these books.

There have been a group of male writers--Jon Scieszka, Lane Smith, Andy Griffiths--trying to provide books across th...more
Becky
When this came across my desk I just had to read it! Look at that adorable exploding cow! This is the type of book the defies categorization. Is it an early reader? Sort of. Is it a collection of short stories? Not really, but kind of. Is it totally off the wall hilarious? Oh so much yes.

The first of this type of short story, picture, nonsense book was The Cat on the Mat is Flat, another popular title at my library. The book is basically a series of very short, rhyming silly stories that young k...more
:Donna Marie
THE BIG FAT COW THAT GOES KAPOW Reminiscent of (and definitely influenced by) the works of Dr. Seuss, this Easy Reader is VERY entertaining! I can't imagine kids NOT being over the MOO-oon for this one!
Catherine
Nov 13, 2010 Catherine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Reluctant/Low Readers
Shelves: picture-books
Published 2008.

This is a collection of 10 easy-to-read short stories. The short and simple text uses rhyme in the vein of Dr. Seuss. The attractive cover and cartoonish art will be enjoyable to elementary school students.

There is no theme exactly, but if you are an early or reluctant reader who loves silly, weird things,you will love this book!

The layout does not lend itself to a good read aloud book (unless you could show it on a document camera). The best use of this book would be for studen...more
Katy
Collection of hilarious stories reminiscent of Dr. Seuss. Perfectly detailed doodle style illustrations. Physically big, but the text on each page is very minimal.
Julie
This book is great! My second graders who struggle with reading absolutely love this book! It's funny, easy to read, and everyone else wants to read it too.
Will Uthmeyer
❤️This book is an amazing book my best boy loves it. We'll it is my favourite book to. ❤️
Cindy
I love cows, so I was instantly drawn to the cover. And what could be better than cows you ask? Well cows that go Kapow of course! As soon as I started reading it, I was instantly reminded of Dr Seuss and my favourite poet of all time Shel Silverstein (even if he is scary looking) as it has that feel to it. It is a collection of 10 (for lack of a better term) "mini-stories" that are all un-related. Each story is super easy to read, they rhyme, are hilarious and absolutely make no sense, they're...more
JaNeal
Okay, this book is totally irreverant--kind of in the Captain Underpants vein. There are some incredibly hilarious moments, though, and I thought the format was especially early-reader friendly. I had to keep it on my early-reader shelf because it does so many things so well... just be prepared for the spike on the bike and a handful of other should-they-be-reading-that material. Honestly, it's pretty harmless, but I don't want anyone to say I didn't forewarn them. The illustrations are both sim...more
Josh
NICE BOOK
Michele
This funny book is extremely popular in my elementary school library. Extremely short black and white illustrated stories with just a few words of text on each page. The stories are simple and absurd. It is raining cows and cows are exploding. It is silly and fun. It has the added benefit of looking like a chunky chapter book while really being more a beginning reader which appeals to young readers wishing they were chapter book readers already.
Stephanie
I decided to read this book because it know the author and i thik he is very funny ! this book comes under the poetry category on the bingo board. i like this book because its funny, it rhymes, it comes with stickers and its a very easy read ! i dislike this book because sometimes rhymes get annoying but other than that quite funny! i would recommend this book to people who want a quick review on a poetry book! and find cows going kapow funny :)
Ashley
This is a book of ten short, silly, lyrical stories. Each is only a few words, illustrated with comedic black and white images. The layout, size and fonts of the wording change throughout the book which give kids practice reading different styles of letters. Yet the words always remain simple, without too many on a page, so children won't get overwhelmed. I think this a great book to start children with reading poetry.
Kris
I know a dozen little boys who'd love this book. It has goofy, swinging rhyme reminiscent of Dr. Seuss readers, and scribbly art that will make any kid say "I can draw like that!" The book looks like a chapter book but has 10 easy-reader-style stories, so upper grade kids can still feel ok holding it in public. And the countdown with the exploding cow? Guaranteed read-aloud hit!
Andrea Estelle
We love this book. It is one we have read over and over and over. The rhymes are so fun for little boys. They love the rhyme about Mike and his spikey bike and of course the ones with the exploding cow. I love the part that talks about the clouds being "trampolines up in the sky" it is such a fun and imaginative book and it is simple enough for younger kids to like it.
Rachel
Not only does this book have exploding, overweight bovines, excessively spiky bikes, and a big mouse in a small house, but the stories are written in simple words suitable for very early readers like Nick. The pictures are pretty dang amusing too. Nick was unusually enthusiastic about reading this book, and it was just about exactly the right reading level for him.
Tam
This was a very silly book filled with 10 short stories.

One story is "Willy the Worm".
"This is Willy. Willy the worm.
He goes to squirm school to learn how to squirm.
But Willy the worm is a very bad learner.
He's wiggly on the straight and he's a terrible turner.
Willy never pays attention, and he fools around a lot.
He always ends up in a great big knot!"
Debbie Tanner
This book is hilarious. Boys will love it and if the girls ever get a chance to pry it out of the boys' hands, they will like it too. There are simple pictures and rhyming texts. It's awesome for little kids and it's so fat that the lower readers who are big kids won't mind reading it too. It would also make a great mentor text for writing.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
I really wanted to find some more early reader books that my second graders would enjoy! I have some students that really enjoy Fly Guy books but I didn't know what else to recommend. I think this is perfect. The pictures and rhymes are so funny! I can't wait to share Andy Griffiths books with them. Thanks for the recommendation Mr. Schu! :)
Brenna Call
This book is a little bit Dr. Seuss, a little bit Shel Silverstein and a lot funny. The short text and funny pictures make this a perfect book for reluctant or beginning readers The 10 seemingly unrelated short stories can each be read alone but once you start reading chances are you won't be able to put this cute little book down.
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same!
  • Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic
  • That Cat Can't Stay
  • Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed
  • A Birthday for Bear: An Early Reader
  • Lulu and the Brontosaurus
  • Pop!: The Invention of Bubble Gum
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
  • Clemente!
  • Bad Kitty Drawn to Trouble
  • Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom
  • Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • The Circus Ship
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • I'm a Frog! (Elephant and Piggie, #20)
21956
Andy Griffiths is Australia’s most popular children’s writer. He is the author of over 20 books, including nonsense verse, short stories, comic novels and plays. Over the past 15 years Andy’s books have been New York Times bestsellers, won over 50 children’s choice awards, been adapted as a television cartoon series and sold over 5 million copies worldwide.

Andy is best known as the author of the...more
More about Andy Griffiths...
The Day My Butt Went Psycho Just Annoying Just Crazy (PB) Just Stupid! Just Disgusting!