Start by marking “Angel: Aftermath (Volume 5)” as Want to Read:
Angel: Aftermath (Volume 5)

Angel: Aftermath (Angel: After the Fall #5)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  1,083 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Published September 29th 2009 by IDW Publishing (first published February 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel

Sesana
Nov 30, 2012 Sesana rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, comics
I wasn't really paying attention to the writer or artist when I picked up this volume (because, let's be honest, I was going to read it anyway). After reading it, I can't overstate my sheer lack of surprise that this is not the same team that worked on the After the Fall storyline. I miss them.

There was one new element of Aftermath that I enjoyed: Dez. As a character, she's fun, she has a fairly strong and consistent voice, and a were-jaguar is just a cool idea.

And... that was it. The art is ju
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Library

From Goodreads:
Springing out of Joss Whedon's Angel: After the Fall story line, novelist Kelley Armstrong (The Summoning) comes aboard to explore the many repercussions following the explosive last issue of Angel: After the Fall. Artist Dave Ross also comes aboard to present the first arc of "Aftermath," wherein we learn who lived, who died, and who will be forever changed from the experience.

Originally published as Angel issues #18-22

First off, I hate the artwork. None of
Emily
Sep 16, 2012 Emily rated it did not like it
Boo. This was the worst one of the series. There was no humor (not even a little bit), and the plot was boring and nonsensical. The artwork was unappealing, the dialogue dull and some of the characters were changed to the point of being no longer recognizable. (view spoiler)

Here is my advice to any Angel fans who want to read this series: Re
Jun 21, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
I was gratified to see that Angel was continuing post non-fall, and I found the overall arc to be interesting, but I found much of the dialogue and storylines to be a bit flatter then usual in this series.
Arie ☂
Utter drivel. I can't believe Kelley Armstrong wrote this.

Rick Hunter
Dec 06, 2016 Rick Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: angel fanatics
Kelley Armstrong takes over the writing duties for the series in this volume. Angel (and everyone else in Los Angeles) is back from hell, their are new players to the story, and the overall product is much better than anything in the previous 4 volumes. There is a shape-shifter named Dez that was one of the biggest surprises in the volume. This cat lady, several Angels (ones from Heaven, not dopplegangers of the fanged one), and a couple of higher beings that lay between the factions of order ...more
Jonathan Coulombe
Feb 09, 2015 Jonathan Coulombe rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Now we enter the grey area of canon or non canon Buffyverse comics as Whedon and Lynch were not a part of the story. One thin about this: It is clear (in a bad way).

Not to say that the story was bad. I actually enjoyed it. However, it would probably never occurred under Whedon's supervision. Why? The devil is in the details, as always. Things like Cordelia showing up again, which Whedon already did not really want during After the Fall but accepted because it made sense and was a good moment for
Ashley
I was so excited about having found this first four volumes in a used bookstore that I ordered this off Amazon before I even read vol. 1 as I am an impatient kind of girl and I like to binge read stuff the way people inhale TV shows. UGH..... I should have known better.

I enjoyed this volume no more and no less then the previous installments despite having a different writer and artists. The art was almost better than the After The Fall segments except for the fact that no one looked like their T
Alex
Jun 21, 2011 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
With the ending of the After the Fall storyline and the departure of creative team Brian Lynch and Franco Urru from the title I was a little skeptical that this continuation of Angel would meet the high standards already set by the comic, yet pleased that this wasn't the end of Angel's adventures. Well, I was right, of course, this installment is much inferior to After the Fall and by contrast the writing feels scrappy, the ideas half baked... in other words it's much more like what I'd come to ...more
The_Mad_Swede
Apr 24, 2016 The_Mad_Swede rated it really liked it
This fifth new Angel volume, Angel: Aftermath collects issues #18–22 and follows up on the aftermath of the whole After the Fall storyline. The volume is written by novelist Kelley Armstrong, and while there is no plot or even editorial to Whedon, Armstrong plays nicely on Whedon's playground, introducing full fledged angels as agents of the Power That Be (and adding new problems to Angel's already problematic world). Not to mention the introduction of the character Desdemona (or Dez), which wil ...more
Shannon Appelcline
I'd been a little reluctant to read these post-After the Fall stories because of middling reviews, but this one is decently good. I like the continued repercussions of the Hell Moment, and I also like the new threads that Armstrong introduces. The angelic forces are perhaps a bit too on-the-nose for the Buffyverse, but they nonetheless offer an interesting view on the Powers that Be, while Angel's collection of a group of "rogue warriors" is also an interesting new direction for the comic.

The wr
Brendan Ellis
Feb 20, 2013 Brendan Ellis rated it really liked it
So much better than volume 4! I think both Buffy Season 8 and Angel After The Fall both suffered slightly in the transition to comics. Without the restraints of a TV budget things got a little over the top. I found the Angel series to suffer from this much more. However here in volume five things have calmed down. The setting and characters are much more grounded and it feels much more like the TV series. It just came across as more believable, for a comic about vampires, demons, angels, ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 04, 2013 Elizabeth rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction-comics
Reading this was just...painful. I don't know any way else to describe it. A big part of the problem was the artwork. The characters were practically unrecognizable. Enough so that it felt like I was reading a book set in a completely different series. Also, the characters were mostly drawn superhero style: ridiculously over exaggerated muscles & the ever present gravity defying breasts.

I might have been able to deal with this if the writing was on par. But either the publishers allowed the
Alexandria Darcy
Jun 28, 2011 Alexandria Darcy rated it liked it
It was a pretty good story. I like the new Connor. I don't really remember what Gwen did to betray him, though. I also liked the renewed presence of Kate. I liked her in the show, and I wished she'd stayed around longer. By 5th season, Angel was severely lacking in female main characters. Harmony being one of 2? Really? The new character - Dez - was interesting and enjoyable.

I have to say though, not really a fan of the artwork. Everyone was too muscly. It was weird, too stylized for me. I also
Darcy
Oct 11, 2014 Darcy rated it it was ok
I loved both Buffy and Angel and was so disappoint with the finale of Angel. So when I saw this I made sure to grab it to see just what possibilities there were for Angel after the show ended.

I was very disappointed with it. Most of the characters I had come to love weren't around, and some random old ones came back. The story itself seemed a little odd to me.

The drawings of people were good, although I could have done without one of the woman being naked through half the book.

Doubtful I will
Feather Mista
Mar 05, 2013 Feather Mista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans del personaje y la serie
Recommended to Feather by: Los anteriores
Entretenido epílogo a la ida y vuelta de Los Angeles al infierno. Aunque parece que ni Whedon ni Lynch tuvieron mucho que ver en las historias, mantiene un nivel bastante digno. El dibujo, por otro lado, resulta más feo incluso que el de los tomos anteriores. Bueno, no sé si MÁS feo, pero al menos IGUAL de feo, seguro. Según veo, me falta el #6 y después ya viene "Inmortalidad para tontos", que lo leí antes sin saber que continuaba a esta misma cronología.
Al margen de esto, ahora que estoy volvi
Emily
Jun 21, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
The fifth volume of Angel: After the Fall is scripted by and drawn by different people from the first four volumes. These illustrations look more cartoon-y, and the dialogue is a lot less snappy. I'm also not a huge fan of the plot, which involves, for the first time in canon, actual Angels. There also seems to be an excess of busty female 'warriors' who were bit players in the series, but are now treated like they were featured in the credits, plus some new ones we've never met. At the same ...more
Bahia
Matt
Oct 16, 2012 Matt rated it liked it
I had a little bit of "You're not my dad" (Joss) and "You're not my stepdad" (Brian Lynch) at first, but it's an good comic story. Pulling together old characters into new formations, re-assigning Angel to a new purpose, and introducing new characters. Angel's inner monologue doesn't deviate from what I think he would say, and most importantly, the plot goes from the conclusions of the Brian Lynch story arc.
Looking forward to the next volume.
Lloyd
Jun 21, 2011 Lloyd rated it it was ok
I like the direction that the new storyline is taking, and I can even support narrowing the focus on fewer characters. However, the writer of these issues has absolutely no ear for how the characters speak. Even the few paltry instances of witty repartee have none of the impact Whedon fans have come to expect. Hopefully, the previous writers will be back for future issues, or at least exert some much needed influence on the dialog.
Jul 31, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
This was okay. I liked certain parts of the story, like new character Dez. I'm not sure how I feel about Kate returning. I didn't like her on the show, but a lot of that had to do with hating the actress who played her. She just seems to appear out of nowhere and now she's supposed to be badass. I also didn't think this captured Angel's voice. If I kept the show in mind, this was not super, but if I tried to simply read the story on its own it wasn't too bad.
Brian
Dec 10, 2015 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed these first five issues. It's always kind of a gamble when it comes to a continuation of a story told in another medium...but this one has probably been the best kickoff I've ever seen in that regard. Here is the same witty banter and beloved characters from the show, same darkness, and bonus...Angel is finally starting to develop a sense of humor somewhere amongst all that brooding. I'll probably keep reading.
Brad
Jan 25, 2015 Brad rated it it was ok
The story was kinda so so, an introduction of a jaguar warrior and an angel named James. That was pretty much the best parts. The art sucked. Everyone had their faces changed so they wouldn't be mistaken for the real ones. It kinda ruined the whole mood, and I found myself wishing I was back in the other sucky art from After the Fall. Yes, it was that bad.
Brenda
Jun 01, 2014 Brenda rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Not much to say about this. I read it because I loved the TV show, and have been making my way through these graphic novels. There's nothing really special about it, and I would say these are only for big Angel fans.
Colleen
One of my favorite fandoms featuring one of my favorite authors, Kelley Armstrong. How could I not love it? Very well done, I loved the new characters introduced, Dez the she-jaguar and James the angel warrior. A hope this isn't the last in the storyline!
Ishanie
Apr 21, 2012 Ishanie rated it liked it
The artwork was a little ridiculous. Other than that, the story was just "okay". I felt as if something major was lacking... Like some of the other characters. I realize they aren't "the justice league", however, they remained together throughout the show... Why not the comic?
Janice
Mar 23, 2014 Janice rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books
This was a seriously disappointing volume in this series. The art was awful; Angel looked nothing like David. Then the writers bring Kate, a cop from the series, and turn a classy, intelligent, strong woman, into a mid-drift showing bimbo. Wrong. The whole story was just wrong.
Lindsy
This was not my favourite within the Angel series. It just took me a bit to get attached to the story arc, and sometimes I found the characters didn't seem as consistent artistically. But, I still want to finish the series. I'm forever a HUGE Angel fan, after all.
Lauren Newton
Jul 14, 2014 Lauren Newton rated it did not like it
i wanted so bad to like this one since the rest of the series but omg just no i could even force myself to like this one the art didnt even look like what it was meant to be which made the story even worse than what it was.
Jennifer Collins
Dec 19, 2015 Jennifer Collins rated it liked it
I liked and didn't like this volume at the same time. I enjoyed Kate being back but at the same time wishes the women of the story had a bit more clothes on them. She never struck me as the scantily clad type. The story was okay but had a bit too much lead up in my opinion.
  • Angel: After the Fall, Volume 4
  • Angel, Volume 2: The Crown Prince Syndrome
  • Angel: Only Human
  • Angel, Volume 3: The Wolf, the Ram, and the Hart
  • Spike: The Devil You Know
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 6
  • Angel: The End
  • Angel Omnibus
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey (Season 8, #5)
  • Illyria: Haunted
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Angel: Past Lives (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #21/Angel Comic #7 Buffy Season 4/ Angel Season 1)

More about Kelley Armstrong...

Angel: After the Fall (9 books)
  • Angel: After the Fall, Volume 1
  • Angel: After the Fall, Volume 2: First Night
  • Angel: After the Fall, Volume 3
  • Angel: After the Fall, Volume 4
  • Angel: Last Angel in Hell (Volume 6)
  • Angel, Volume 1: Immortality For Dummies