Start by marking “Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty” as Want to Read:
Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty

Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty (Bad Kitty)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,964 Ratings  ·  208 Reviews
It's Bad Kitty's birthday, and you're invited! Bad Kitty's second illustrated novel is packed with deadpan humor, rich tidbits of cat information -- and even some suspense! Who took Kitty's presents? Why are Kitty's friends so bizzare? Readers will laugh out loud at Kitty's feline mood swings, and they'll be touched by the heartwarming visit from a surprise guest.
Published September 1st 2009 by Roaring Brook Press

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultThe Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter
Picture Books about Cats
30th out of 366 books — 172 voters
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanHoles by Louis SacharThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Best Books for Reluctant Readers
193rd out of 995 books — 1,722 voters

More lists with this book...

Tim The Enchanter
Jun 19, 2015 Tim The Enchanter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sydney-s-reads
This is the review of Sydney, my 7 year old daughter.

This book is about Bad Kitty and her friends, Big Kitty, the Twin Kitties, Stinky Kitty, Chatty Kitty, Pretty Kitty, Strange Kitty and the dog (who is not kitty's friend). This story takes place during the day at Kitty's house. Bad Kitty was having her Birthday. Since it takes place at Bad Kitty's house, she REALLY REALLY REALLY wants to open a present.

I liked the book because it was funny and there were lots of fun things in the book. I liked
Jessica Wheeler
Sep 15, 2009 Jessica Wheeler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Happiness is finding a book you know your child will love. And there is nothing like the perverse joy of having your child sneak off to read instead of doing what you ‘want’ them to do. Thankfully, many of the great books my kids have relished such as The Lightening Thief, The Diary of a Wimpy Kid and The Sisters Grimm come with sequels that satisfy as much as the first one does. This was never truer than with Nick Bruel’s latest Bad Kitty book, Happy Birthday Bad Kitty.

Oooh, it is so good. My k
Kathy
May 19, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one more than BAD KITTY GETS A BATH. You would think Kitty's owners would learn, since the same thing seems to happen every year. But it was sweet to see Bad Kitty's baby pictures and to learn that she was a good little kitty when she lived with her mother. And you have to like Strange Kitty, and all Bad Kitty's other friends, even if none of them gives good presents.
Sara
Jun 10, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing
This book is in one of my favorite series. It's Kitty's birthday. He and his owner set up decorations. The owner invites all the kitty's in neighborhood. They are big kitty, the twin kitty's, stinky kitty, chatty kitty, pretty kitty, and strange kitty. They don't give him very good presents. Someone keeps steeling them and the owner thinks it's kitty. But it's not him and he thinks it's one of the other kitty's but it's not them either. Once kitty figure's that out he realizes that it's puppy. W ...more
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Feb 07, 2012 Greta is Erikasbuddy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dog Pinata Enthusiasts
Recommended to Greta is Erikasbuddy by: Sunny
Happy Birthday Bad Kitty!

It's time to break out the balloons....

that Bad Kitty popped

Get out the decorations...

that Bad Kitty destroyed

Invite all the kitty guests...

that brought her lame gifts

And let's eat some cake....

that can't be chocolate because chocolate is bad for kitties.

This book was too cute!

I love the artwork and I just love Bad Kitty.

There are times when Bad Kitty reminds me of this bad kitty:

She really reminded me of that kitty in this book.
Mary Ann
This hilarious book will hook kids new to reading chapter books with its goofy humor and exaggerated illustrations. It’s Bad Kitty’s birthday, and she’s hoping for a really special birthday gift. All of the neighborhood cats come: Chatty Kitty, Strange Kitty, Twin Kitties and Stinky Kitty. But someone keeps sneaking away with the presents after they’ve been unwrapped! Bad Kitty reminds me of Garfield the Cat and Calvin and Hobbes, but this story reads more like a traditional chapter book with l ...more
Becky B
It's Bad Kitty's birthday! Kitty wants to sleep, but she is lured out of bed first by a ginormous breakfast and then by the promise of presents. Several other kitties come for Bad Kitty's birthday party. Each one brings a gift, but all the gifts disappear and each guest is a suspect. Eventually the truth comes out, but not before the lack of sleep causes Bad Kitty to have a break down and go berserk, ending the party.

Bad Kitty is so 100% cat. The illustrations are great, the comic timing perfect
Melanie
Nov 23, 2009 Melanie rated it really liked it
A funny, random chapter book about (surprise, surprise) Bad Kitty's birthday. Other kitties come for a party. I gotta say, Weird Kitty is my favourite. And there is a character called Mama Kitty, which makes me a little teary because of my good Mama Kitty, who I still miss sometimes. Anyway...funny book. Takes a half-hour to read. And Uncle Murray's comments are funny.
Madelyn
Feb 09, 2016 Madelyn rated it liked it
This book was okay. I mean, I had an obsession with these when I was in second or third grade. They were way too easy for me but I was in need of an easy to read book. This book series was let me say, interesting. The books weren't bad.

The books, again, were an easy read with a cat who has difficulty behaving properly. These books are pretty cute, they are essentially a glorified Grumpy Cat. In this specific book, Bad Kitty celebrates his birthday and for the most part, he wants nothing to do w
Gretchen
Nov 23, 2009 Gretchen rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Okay, this is a kid's book, but it is so hilarious. I love the Bad Kitty books. It is Bad Kitty's birthday, and she is having a birthday party with all of the neighborhood kitties invited. In this book we also find out some background information about Bad Kitty's kittenhood. And, as usual, Uncle Murray has some helpful cat facts and tips.
Mikaela V
Nov 12, 2015 Mikaela V rated it it was amazing
Bad Kitty
11 November 15

This book by Nick Bruel is about a cat who’s nickname is bad kitty. Today it is bad kitty’s birthday! Some of her cat friends come over for a party. The only problem is that bad kitty does not want a birthday party and she is not in the mood to have anyone over let alone having her dog brother there as well. When bad kitty’s owner finally catches her after a couple of hours trying to make her come out and play she wants to open presents. But wait!! where did all her presen
Boni
Sep 27, 2009 Boni rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-mg
Not quite as funny as Bad Kitty Gets A Bath, but still highly enjoyable. I hope there are more chapter-book Bad Kitty's on the way- he's very worthy :)
Lauren Rhodes
Apr 27, 2015 Lauren Rhodes rated it liked it
Literature Requirement Children Series
It's Kitty's birthday and that means she receives a breakfast fit for a Queen. It has all her favorites such as bagels, clam doughnuts and eel fritters, iguana jelly and snake tortillas to name few. Her mouth is watering looking at the overflowing bowl of food. She devours the food rapidly. Things do not go as planned on her birthday as calamity after calamity happens. However, the reader is not dismayed when Kitty's gift for her birthday arrives and it's a
Justin
Feb 07, 2014 Justin rated it really liked it
Another good Bad Kitty book. These are a fun read and my daughter enjoys them.
Shannon
Nov 30, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves:
"Happy Birthday Bad Kitty" by Nick Bruel, is a fiction book. This book is about Kitty having a interesting birthday party. Kitty's owner invited guests, made decorations, a cake and presents. All kitty wanted to do on her birthday was sleeping, so she was annoyed by this whole party thing. I rated "Happy Birthday Bad Kitty" 4 of out 5 stars because it was funny and cute, and a great book for children; I felt like the author could've written the book more fluently. Overall I recommend this book a ...more
Laurie
Feb 04, 2014 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 12, 2009 Nicola Mansfield rated it it was ok
This is a strange book to have ended up in the graphic novels category for the Cybils nominations as I wouldn't really, at first, have considered it a graphic novel. There are no frames or bubbles and the whole story is told by a narrator. However, the book is heavily graphically dependant and without the graphics there are many parts of the story that wouldn't make sense. Hence, I realistically (though grudgingly) can see its place as a graphic novel. I didn't like this book. It's Bad Kitty's b ...more
Keri Payton
It's Kitty's birthday...and she just wants to sleep. Until there is the promise of presents and cake! All goes fairly well until Kitty's presents start disappearing. Who could the culprit be?

I'd seen the Bad Kitty titles in store before but I'd never looked into them. So, when I attended Book Expo America this month, I took up the line to have 'Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty' signed by Kitty herself. Quillbert even got a picture taken with her.

'Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty' is a quick, comical and cute
Bonnie
Nov 01, 2015 Bonnie rated it really liked it
I was introduced to this series a few years ago by a friends' daughter. I thought they looked cute so was happy to grab two of them at a recent Library Book Sale. I like Kitty's friends, who I always try to match up with kittys I have owned/known in my life, and the little education asides from Uncle Murry (even though I find the character himself sort of disturbing). The "whodunit" in this one was a little too drawn out for my tastes, but otherwise I enjoyed it.
America Puga
Apr 29, 2015 America Puga rated it it was amazing
What I think of the book Bad Kitty is that it is super funny and I hope you like this book. I give this book a 5 because again its very funny like when it was his birthday and was excited. He got a very big present from his owner and he thought it was one of those things that cats scratch on. I won't tell you what happens next, but it was hilarious!!!

Bad Kitty is such a great character because he is always doing silly things.
Christyn
You can never go wrong with Bad Kitty if you're looking for something humorous and fun. Happy Birthday Bad Kitty features Bad Kitty's birthday celebration - including her person, Puppy, and the familiar cast of other neighborhood kitties. It's a chapter book in graphic novel style with one alphabet page. It was another enjoyable and funny book with classic Bad Kitty behavior.
Rachael
May 12, 2013 Rachael rated it liked it
*orginally posted at http://rachaelc94.blogspot.com/2013/0...*

My sister and I were babysitting and it was late at night and the kids were either asleep or getting close to that time. I picked up this book from their coffee table. I had read one other bad kitty book, but it was just one of the children's book. I really liked it so I started reading. Obviously this book is way below my age level, but I thought the author made a really entertaining book for younger readers. I loved all his fancy na
Myah
Mar 11, 2015 Myah rated it it was amazing
Its Bad Kitty's Birthday and Guess who's on the on his guest list! Chatty Kitty, Stinky Kitty, and her OTHER neighborhood pals. When All his presents disappear how will he find them all? WHen he does it is a very creative way from the puppy! When all the cats leave from his horrible party someone very important shows up, his mom that makes it the best birthday ever!
Kelly Workman
Feb 25, 2015 Kelly Workman rated it really liked it
Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty will make you laugh out loud. Its main character is a grumpy kitty who always gets into trouble, and does not like company. The other characters include a dog and a myriad of other kitties who all have their own quirks. It teaches the lesson that although you may not always get exactly what you want, you need to make the best of a situation.
Katarina Miller
Feb 24, 2015 Katarina Miller rated it really liked it
Bad Kitty has great expectations for her birthday party, but none of them seem to come true. I think this is a good lesson for all kids to learn, because even if something does not turn out the way we really wanted it to, there could still be good things that come from it. This is a very entertaining book, and the graphics really hold the reader's attention.
Sandy
Feb 20, 2010 Sandy rated it it was ok
I'm kind of amused by the picture book Bad Kitty, so I thought I'd give this chapter book featuring this same kitty a try, curious about how well it would translate from one format to another. This chapter book is very dependant on its illustrations so in a lot of ways it reads like a black-and-white picture book. Unfortunately, the story just doesn't work for me. The facts about cats interspersed throughout the book are interesting and Bad Kitty's breakdown at the end and eventual reuniting wit ...more
Jessie
Apr 06, 2014 Jessie rated it liked it
Shelves: usa
I was babysitting a six-year-old and she wanted me to read this to her. I know that this is the kind of book that I would have loved as a kid. Obviously, as a teenager, the entertainment comes from the kids laughter when you read it out loud. It's a cute book for young kids but not one of those children s books that are equally entertaining for adults.
Melle
Nov 09, 2014 Melle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning chapter book readers
A fun little story about Bad Kitty's first birthday interspersed with some factual information about cats. A good beginning chapter book, a good fiction/nonfiction balance, really fun illustrations, and a decent vocabulary builder (crepuscular). A purr-fect read for Zelda's first birthday, even though she wasn't cool with it.
Kyky
Mar 14, 2016 Kyky rated it it was amazing
This is the second or third time I have read this one. It is really funny. I like the Bad Kitty books because they are funny but you also get to learn new things because there are facts at a certain point. It was really funny when Bad Kitty was opening presents because he got cat toys, a mouse, and hair balls.
Hannah Givens
Dec 15, 2014 Hannah Givens rated it really liked it
Another more-advanced Bad Kitty book, great for read-alouds or kids moving beyond plain old picture books. Again, I love the way the narrator interacts with the story and Bad Kitty. I also always love it when new characters are introduced, and we got to meet a whole bunch of new kitties in this one!
Madison Mega-Mara...: For the younger set 1 5 Aug 05, 2012 11:47AM
  • Binky Under Pressure
  • School Days (Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa #3)
  • Mr. Burke Is Berserk! (My Weirder School, #4)
  • Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #2)
  • Never Swipe a Bully's Bear (Roscoe Riley Rules, #2)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Cookie Contest
  • Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig (Mercy Watson #5)
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Brave New Pond (Squish, #2)
  • Ready, Set, Snow! (Ready Freddy!, #16)
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Voodoo Vultures from Venus (Ricky Ricotta, #3)
  • Charge Of The Triceratops (Dinosaur Cove, #2)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend (Henry and Mudge, #11)
  • The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken: The Next Misadventure (Chicken Squad Adventure, #2)
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
Nick Bruel is the New York Times bestselling author and illustrator of children's books including Bad Kitty, Bad Kitty Gets a Bath, Bad Kitty Meets the Baby, and Boing!, among others. Nick is a freelance illustrator and cartoonist, and during his down time, he collects PEZ dispensers and grows tomatoes in the backyard. He lives in Tarrytown, NY with his wife Carina and their lovely cat Esmerelda.

h
More about Nick Bruel...

Bad Kitty (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Bad Kitty