Start by marking “Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty” as Want to Read:
Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty

Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty (Bad Kitty)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  3,301 ratings  ·  185 reviews
It's Bad Kitty's birthday, and you're invited! Bad Kitty's second illustrated novel is packed with deadpan humor, rich tidbits of cat information -- and even some suspense! Who took Kitty's presents? Why are Kitty's friends so bizzare? Readers will laugh out loud at Kitty's feline mood swings, and they'll be touched by the heartwarming visit from a surprise guest.
Published September 1st 2009 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultThe Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter
Picture Books about Cats
26th out of 328 books — 162 voters
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHoles by Louis SacharThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanFledgling by Mark A. Cooper
Best Books for Reluctant Readers
202nd out of 881 books — 1,607 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica Wheeler
Happiness is finding a book you know your child will love. And there is nothing like the perverse joy of having your child sneak off to read instead of doing what you ‘want’ them to do. Thankfully, many of the great books my kids have relished such as The Lightening Thief, The Diary of a Wimpy Kid and The Sisters Grimm come with sequels that satisfy as much as the first one does. This was never truer than with Nick Bruel’s latest Bad Kitty book, Happy Birthday Bad Kitty.

Oooh, it is so good. My k
Kathy
I enjoyed this one more than BAD KITTY GETS A BATH. You would think Kitty's owners would learn, since the same thing seems to happen every year. But it was sweet to see Bad Kitty's baby pictures and to learn that she was a good little kitty when she lived with her mother. And you have to like Strange Kitty, and all Bad Kitty's other friends, even if none of them gives good presents.
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Feb 07, 2012 Greta is Erikasbuddy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dog Pinata Enthusiasts
Recommended to Greta is Erikasbuddy by: Sunny
Happy Birthday Bad Kitty!

It's time to break out the balloons....

that Bad Kitty popped

Get out the decorations...

that Bad Kitty destroyed

Invite all the kitty guests...

that brought her lame gifts

And let's eat some cake....

that can't be chocolate because chocolate is bad for kitties.

This book was too cute!

I love the artwork and I just love Bad Kitty.

There are times when Bad Kitty reminds me of this bad kitty:

She really reminded me of that kitty in this book.
Mary Ann
This hilarious book will hook kids new to reading chapter books with its goofy humor and exaggerated illustrations. It’s Bad Kitty’s birthday, and she’s hoping for a really special birthday gift. All of the neighborhood cats come: Chatty Kitty, Strange Kitty, Twin Kitties and Stinky Kitty. But someone keeps sneaking away with the presents after they’ve been unwrapped! Bad Kitty reminds me of Garfield the Cat and Calvin and Hobbes, but this story reads more like a traditional chapter book with l ...more
Becky B
It's Bad Kitty's birthday! Kitty wants to sleep, but she is lured out of bed first by a ginormous breakfast and then by the promise of presents. Several other kitties come for Bad Kitty's birthday party. Each one brings a gift, but all the gifts disappear and each guest is a suspect. Eventually the truth comes out, but not before the lack of sleep causes Bad Kitty to have a break down and go berserk, ending the party.

Bad Kitty is so 100% cat. The illustrations are great, the comic timing perfect
Melanie
A funny, random chapter book about (surprise, surprise) Bad Kitty's birthday. Other kitties come for a party. I gotta say, Weird Kitty is my favourite. And there is a character called Mama Kitty, which makes me a little teary because of my good Mama Kitty, who I still miss sometimes. Anyway...funny book. Takes a half-hour to read. And Uncle Murray's comments are funny.
Gretchen
Okay, this is a kid's book, but it is so hilarious. I love the Bad Kitty books. It is Bad Kitty's birthday, and she is having a birthday party with all of the neighborhood kitties invited. In this book we also find out some background information about Bad Kitty's kittenhood. And, as usual, Uncle Murray has some helpful cat facts and tips.
Boni
Not quite as funny as Bad Kitty Gets A Bath, but still highly enjoyable. I hope there are more chapter-book Bad Kitty's on the way- he's very worthy :)
Lauren Rhodes
Literature Requirement Children Series
It's Kitty's birthday and that means she receives a breakfast fit for a Queen. It has all her favorites such as bagels, clam doughnuts and eel fritters, iguana jelly and snake tortillas to name few. Her mouth is watering looking at the overflowing bowl of food. She devours the food rapidly. Things do not go as planned on her birthday as calamity after calamity happens. However, the reader is not dismayed when Kitty's gift for her birthday arrives and it's a
Justin
Another good Bad Kitty book. These are a fun read and my daughter enjoys them.
Shannon
"Happy Birthday Bad Kitty" by Nick Bruel, is a fiction book. This book is about Kitty having a interesting birthday party. Kitty's owner invited guests, made decorations, a cake and presents. All kitty wanted to do on her birthday was sleeping, so she was annoyed by this whole party thing. I rated "Happy Birthday Bad Kitty" 4 of out 5 stars because it was funny and cute, and a great book for children; I felt like the author could've written the book more fluently. Overall I recommend this book a ...more
Laurie
Nicola Mansfield
This is a strange book to have ended up in the graphic novels category for the Cybils nominations as I wouldn't really, at first, have considered it a graphic novel. There are no frames or bubbles and the whole story is told by a narrator. However, the book is heavily graphically dependant and without the graphics there are many parts of the story that wouldn't make sense. Hence, I realistically (though grudgingly) can see its place as a graphic novel. I didn't like this book. It's Bad Kitty's b ...more
Keri Payton
It's Kitty's birthday...and she just wants to sleep. Until there is the promise of presents and cake! All goes fairly well until Kitty's presents start disappearing. Who could the culprit be?

I'd seen the Bad Kitty titles in store before but I'd never looked into them. So, when I attended Book Expo America this month, I took up the line to have 'Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty' signed by Kitty herself. Quillbert even got a picture taken with her.

'Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty' is a quick, comical and cute
America Puga
What I think of the book Bad Kitty is that it is super funny and I hope you like this book. I give this book a 5 because again its very funny like when it was his birthday and was excited. He got a very big present from his owner and he thought it was one of those things that cats scratch on. I won't tell you what happens next, but it was hilarious!!!

Bad Kitty is such a great character because he is always doing silly things.
Christyn
You can never go wrong with Bad Kitty if you're looking for something humorous and fun. Happy Birthday Bad Kitty features Bad Kitty's birthday celebration - including her person, Puppy, and the familiar cast of other neighborhood kitties. It's a chapter book in graphic novel style with one alphabet page. It was another enjoyable and funny book with classic Bad Kitty behavior.
Rachael
*orginally posted at http://rachaelc94.blogspot.com/2013/0...*

My sister and I were babysitting and it was late at night and the kids were either asleep or getting close to that time. I picked up this book from their coffee table. I had read one other bad kitty book, but it was just one of the children's book. I really liked it so I started reading. Obviously this book is way below my age level, but I thought the author made a really entertaining book for younger readers. I loved all his fancy na
Myah
Its Bad Kitty's Birthday and Guess who's on the on his guest list! Chatty Kitty, Stinky Kitty, and her OTHER neighborhood pals. When All his presents disappear how will he find them all? WHen he does it is a very creative way from the puppy! When all the cats leave from his horrible party someone very important shows up, his mom that makes it the best birthday ever!
Kelly Workman
Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty will make you laugh out loud. Its main character is a grumpy kitty who always gets into trouble, and does not like company. The other characters include a dog and a myriad of other kitties who all have their own quirks. It teaches the lesson that although you may not always get exactly what you want, you need to make the best of a situation.
Katarina Miller
Bad Kitty has great expectations for her birthday party, but none of them seem to come true. I think this is a good lesson for all kids to learn, because even if something does not turn out the way we really wanted it to, there could still be good things that come from it. This is a very entertaining book, and the graphics really hold the reader's attention.
Sandy
I'm kind of amused by the picture book Bad Kitty, so I thought I'd give this chapter book featuring this same kitty a try, curious about how well it would translate from one format to another. This chapter book is very dependant on its illustrations so in a lot of ways it reads like a black-and-white picture book. Unfortunately, the story just doesn't work for me. The facts about cats interspersed throughout the book are interesting and Bad Kitty's breakdown at the end and eventual reuniting wit ...more
Jessie
Apr 06, 2014 Jessie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: usa
I was babysitting a six-year-old and she wanted me to read this to her. I know that this is the kind of book that I would have loved as a kid. Obviously, as a teenager, the entertainment comes from the kids laughter when you read it out loud. It's a cute book for young kids but not one of those children s books that are equally entertaining for adults.
Melle
Nov 09, 2014 Melle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning chapter book readers
A fun little story about Bad Kitty's first birthday interspersed with some factual information about cats. A good beginning chapter book, a good fiction/nonfiction balance, really fun illustrations, and a decent vocabulary builder (crepuscular). A purr-fect read for Zelda's first birthday, even though she wasn't cool with it.
Hannah Givens
Another more-advanced Bad Kitty book, great for read-alouds or kids moving beyond plain old picture books. Again, I love the way the narrator interacts with the story and Bad Kitty. I also always love it when new characters are introduced, and we got to meet a whole bunch of new kitties in this one!
Austin Miller
Grade/interest level: 3-4
Reading level: 400
Genre: fiction
Main Characters: Bad kitty
Setting: At home
POV: Fiction

This book is about a kitty that has a birthday party. She invites a bunch of friends. They bring over weird gifts. From cotton balls to mice. Bad kitty doesn't like her birthday.
Dolly
Sep 05, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We just love the books in the Bad Kitty series by Nick Bruel. They are so funny, with sarcastic and tongue in cheek humor that has our girls begging for more. With its graphic novel format, this book is a very fast read, even at 160 pages, and our girls asked me to read "just one more chapter" over and over until we finished it. There are interesting and informative facts about cats sprinkled throughout the story, which are good for children who may have a cat as pet. It is silly and probably be ...more
Crjmom
my daughter and I read this for abut an hour and laughed our way through it. Then when I had to get up and do something else, she continued reading and pouring over the pictures. It is a good mix of humor, simple plot and facts about cats. I can't wait too get he rest of the series.
Ubalstecha
Bad Kitty is back! And this time it's her birthday and all the kitties of the neighbourhood have been invited. But Bad Kitty is not happy with how some of the party turns out and the usual temper tantrum ensues.

Another of the Bad Kitty chapter books. This one is full of the wacky illustrations that make the series so popular. The neighbourhood kitties are also funny characters that the reader will like.

Sadly though, this book lacks something that the original picture books and Bad Kitty Takes a
Olivia Kearney
This book is both sad and funny. It was sad because Bad Kitty was separated from her mom, but it also had lots of funny characters and scenes. It also has a very sweet ending.
Claire
I think it is funny I read it in less then a day I think its a good book for people how like short books and for people that just stated chapter book
  • Binky Under Pressure
  • Mr. Burke Is Berserk! (My Weirder School, #4)
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride (Mercy Watson #2)
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000
  • Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #2)
  • The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken: The Next Misadventure (Chicken Squad Adventure, #2)
  • School Days (Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa #3)
  • Monster Mash (Babymouse, #9)
  • Charge Of The Triceratops (Dinosaur Cove, #2)
  • Bella The Bunny Fairy (Rainbow Fairies: Pet Keeper Fairies, #2)
Nick Bruel is the New York Times bestselling author and illustrator of children's books including Bad Kitty, Bad Kitty Gets a Bath, Bad Kitty Meets the Baby, and Boing!, among others. Nick is a freelance illustrator and cartoonist, and during his down time, he collects PEZ dispensers and grows tomatoes in the backyard. He lives in Tarrytown, NY with his wife Carina and their lovely cat Esmerelda.

h
More about Nick Bruel...

Bad Kitty (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Bad Kitty
  • Bad Kitty for President
  • Bad Kitty School Daze
  • Bad Kitty Drawn to Trouble
  • Poor Puppy and Bad Kitty
Bad Kitty Bad Kitty Gets a Bath Bad Kitty vs Uncle Murray Bad Kitty for President Bad Kitty Meets the Baby