Start by marking “Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Practicing the Piano: But She Does Love Being in Recitals (Moxy Maxwell, #3)” as Want to Read:

Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Practicing the Piano: But She Does Love Being in Recitals (Moxy Maxwell #3)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Here's the third book in the hilarious Moxy Maxwell series, which includes Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little and Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes.

Moxy’s back, and ready (kind of, sort of) for her big piano recital! In this hilarious third installment about everyone’s favorite ’tween procrastinator, Moxy Maxwell is set to make her Piano Debut, pla
Published August 11th 2009 by Schwartz & Wade (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Practicing the Piano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Practicing the Piano

Not my favorite of Moxy’s, but I still smiled all the way through. And I definitely understood a flamboyant Moxy who could find time to make fake ermine trim for a cloak to wear to her recital, even if she couldn’t seem to find time to practice her piece. This book experimented with non-traditional text features that appear in books like The Sisters Club and also with direct addresses to the reader that felt Kate DiCamillo-ish.
Catherine
As a teacher, I love this book for multiple reasons. Reading out of order, this is the first Moxy Maxwell book that I have read. As an adult, I finished it in no time at all on an airplane flight, and I could not resist laughing aloud. Moxy is a believable character with whom I think my students, at least the girls, will relate. (Two supporting characters, Moxy's twin and her best friend are boys.)The series does NOT have to be read in order to be fully comprehensible. This book is sure to be a ...more
Chris
In Which Moxy does it again.
Moxy does it again. While it doesn't quite match Stuart Little or Thank You Notes (I only startled my roommate by laughing aloud twelve or thirteen times in this one), the Maxwells are back in full force--with reinforcements from Moxy's aunt Susan Standish and Moxy's piano teacher Ms. Killinger.

One thing I love is that Moxy no longer has the corner on ridiculousness. The rest of the family (and the piano teacher) have definite personalities in this episode, and each
Jackie
Moxy Maxwell is excited about her upcoming recital with her sister Pansy. They are performing Heart and Soul. She has her grandmother sewing a regal costume, her mom is making 150 marshmallow cupcakes (even when she just got back from Africa the night before), and her brother is busy taking pictures of every step in process...just one thing is missing. She is forgetting to practice her piece.

As the big moment approaches, Moxie's stomach goes 'purple'. Could it possibly be stage fright? No way!
Pat
Moxy Maxwell is an assertive, high-spirited girl who wants what she wants. In other words, a brat, but a loveable brat. With attitude and Moxy-isms, she tells how she gets through her practicing, her crown, and her piano recital and wins over the teacher (even with a pounding problem).

It took too many pages to get to the plot, but that may be appealing to some readers who love to look-at-how-many-pages-I've-read. Also I did not love Moxy. She irritates everyone she knows, and seems to lack the q
Marcia
Jul 06, 2012 Marcia rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcia by: MCBA
I read several reviews of this series that were glowing--starred, even. It is on the MCBA list, and although I haven't read the first two, I dove in. Moxy Maxwell is not a character I cared for at all. She is a bit demanding, strong willed and self-centered. She wants to be the center of attention, but is much more interested in her costume for the recital than practicing. She doesn't put in the work, but wants the glory. The supporting characters were weak, and the chapter titles cloying. Bluck ...more
Abby Johnson
Moxy Maxwell is at it again! In this installment, she's preparing for her piano recital, but before she can rehearse she has to finish her cape, drink a green grass power shake, and do many other things. My favorite of the Moxy Maxwells so far is the second one because it went a little bit deeper into Moxy's feelings about her family. Unfortunately, this volume did not continue along that vein, but it was still an enjoyable story. I'd recommend Moxy to fans of Clementine, Judy Moody, and others ...more
Heidi
Dec 30, 2009 Heidi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 8-12
Shelves: juv-fiction
3rd in the Moxy series, Moxy and her sister, Pansy, are busy preparing for the piano duet of "Heart and Soul" for their recital at the Palace Theater. Of course with preparation for Moxy means dress rehearsal complete with a crown and making a fake ermine trim for her cape. Will this procrastinator be able to pull off her first piano debut in time?

Not one of my favorites in the series, but still a light and funny read.
Frances
Oh, Moxy. This seems like a great book for reluctant girl readers, as the chapters are very short and there's lots of repetition. Moxy is funny and quirky. I listened to this one, which meant the repeat of most chapter headings as the first sentence in the chapter grated on my nerves after a while. Though I wouldn't read another one, I'll definitely recommend them to kids.
Christa
We read this book out loud also, but it's a lot slower going when we aren't all together all the time like our driving to Florida adventure, so it was read more slowly. Still a good, funny book, but #2 was our fav.
Moxy and her sister are going to play a duet for their piano recital and of course -- more kid drama ensues to make for a good funny read.
Jess
I do love Moxy. In this installment Moxy is getting ready for her big piano playing debut (but she must share it with her younger sister). While I enjoyed the other two Moxy books this one is still a great book for fans of Junie B. Jones, Ramona, and Judy Moody. Moxy will always be my favorite tween procrastinator.
Julie
I'm always on the lookout for books to inspire my students in a fun way. The writing was clever and I could recommend it, but not for the reason that it was all that inspiring. Just a cute book.
Rachael
Cute, adorable, and hilarious. The short chapters will give readers a great sense of accomplishment and they'll definitely keep turning the page because of the funny story.
Camille
I don't know where I've been but I had not read a Moxy Maxwell book before. Oh my gosh, so funny. I laughed and laughed. Great addition to Junie B., Judy Moody, Eloise girls.
Megan
eight and up. A funny story about a little diva and her struggle to shine at her piano recital. The book includes fun photo like pictures that go along with the story.
Ingrid
This book got very good reviews and other people seem to like the character of Moxy Maxwell, but I found her to be irritating and did not care for the story at all.
Mary
Very cute. Moxy, like many little girl is much more taken with the outfit, bows and other aspects of performing than she is with practicing for the recital.
Samantha
Anyone who has ever had a first recital can really relate to this book. And of course, if you like spunky heroines, you will also relate to this book.
Christi
I thought this might be a good book for Grace, but it was too much like Junie B. Jones. Obnoxious. I wouldn't recommend it to Grace.
Valerie
I cannot get enough of Moxie Maxwell.
William
It was fun. I preferred Clementine. The kids enjoyed it. Some of the chapter titles were longer than the chapters, of which there were 86.
Beth/Sr. Elizabeth
So funny although if I had to teach Moxy, I would probably go crazy! Also love the photo illustrations. Great series!
meg
a little precocious, sure, but a fast, funny, and pretty relatable read about the ultimate tween procrastinator.
Brett
Moxy is not always admirable & sometimes she's very grating indeed, but the writing style is very catchy.
Melissa
Oh, I love Moxy. She makes me laugh. And I love the style that Gifford gives the book. Totally fabulous.
Hayley
I love the short chapters in this book and the pictures in the book make it very entertaining.
Skylar Pemberton
This book is so funny! Most of the chapter names are the same words that are in the chapter.
Lora
Similar to the other Moxy books, great for booktalking. I'd recommend this to any elementary kid.
Kati
Sep 04, 2009 Kati rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: junior
Cute book, I think upper elementary and some middle school girls would enjoy this series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Piper Reed: Navy Brat (Piper Reed #1)
  • Oggie Cooder
  • Clementine, Friend of the Week (Clementine, #4)
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • Lucy Rose: Here's the Thing About Me
  • Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade (Princess Posey, #1)
  • Forever Rose (Casson Family, #5)
  • The One and Only Stuey Lewis: Stories from the Second Grade
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby See the Stars
  • Just Grace (Just Grace, #1)
  • Snake and Lizard
  • Ellie McDoodle: New Kid in School
  • The Naked Mole-Rat Letters
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • Frankly, Frannie (Frankly, Frannie #1)
  • Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things (Alvin Ho, #1)
  • Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)
  • Benjamin Franklinstein Lives!
Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes The Great Big Green The Moxy Maxwell Collection: Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little, Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank You Notes