Start by marking “The Duck and the Kangaroo” as Want to Read:
The Duck and the Kangaroo

The Duck and the Kangaroo

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Meet Duck.

Duck has a yen for travel and adventure. Duck also has some very wet, cold feet and a gift for loyalty and compromise.

Meet Kangaroo.

Kangaroo has been around the world and back, and is looking for a little bit of luck.

Or a duck.

When Duck and Kangaroo meet, it’s a match made in . . . heaven.

Ah, love—ain’t it grand?

And who so happy,—O who, As the Duck and the Kangar
Published September 29th 2009 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Duck and the Kangaroo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duck and the Kangaroo

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Books with birds in the title
420th out of 638 books — 136 voters
Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninThe Ugly Duckling by Jerry PinkneyDuck On A Bike by David ShannonThe Story About Ping by Marjorie Flack
Best Picture Books about Ducks
49th out of 63 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary Ann
Jane Wattenberg has created a feast for the eyes in her new picture book of Edward Lear's nonsense song The Duck and The Kangaroo. Wattenberg uses eye-popping photo-collage techniques to create a vibrant book, where the images truly match Lear's creative folly.

A duck looks out his window and longs for friendship and adventure. So he says to the passing Kangaroo, "My life is a bore in this nasty pond, / And I long to go out in the world beyond! / I wish I could hop like you! / said the Duck to th
Bridget R. Wilson
Duck is tired of his life in the pond. He admires Kangaroo's ability to hop. Duck wants Kangaroo to give him a ride. After much discussion and the putting on of socks, the two hop around the world not once but thrice.

What I thought: I'd never read this poem by Lear. I am an admirer of nonsense poems. I only object to the line about the cigar. But my objection could be overruled by the fact it's a duck not a person. Wattenberg's illustrations, which I understand to be collages of bits and pieces
Emily
This book was really odd, and I honestly don't care for it. The story of a duck wanting to ride on a kangaroos back was just not interesting to me. The illustrations however were very unique. I think children would like looking at the pictures.

I wouldn't use this in the classroom unless I wanted to talk about how kangaroos hop and ducks fly and swim. I would possibly use this book strictly for the collage illustrations if I was teaching an art lesson.
Kristin
If I hadn't known the historical significance of this book before reading it, I would have hated it. Some children may like the illustrations, but I think they are slightly garish--like animation gone bad. I applaud the efforts of the illustrator to introduce children to literature and artwork of the past, but I am just not in love with this.
Ashley
Genre: Poetry
Publication Date: 2009

This is a book that consists of one poem. It is about a duck wished he could hop like the Kangaroo, therefore he asks the kangaroo to let him ride on his back. Although the poem is quite cute, I do not like the pictures. In fact, I find them a little creepy.
Anne
Fun story about a duck and kangaroo who travel the world together. The best part though, is the illustrations. They are so close to being photographic, it is quite incredible, yet still retain a sense of playfulness and utter joy.
Luana
This book is ideal for 2nd-4th grade to help students differentiate between a duck and a kangaroo. Would be used in the engage portion. Have students find the differences and similarities between the two animals.
Connie
Mar 10, 2010 Connie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: jv
The duck convinces kangaroo to take them on a road trip--three times around the world. Beautiful illustrations done in the style of multiple famous artists. Absolutely gorgeous.
Kim
Would have loved it except for the line with the cigar, but I think you could leave it out in a storytime. Bright, collage illustrations makes it pop.
A bit of nonsense with some delightfully silly photo collage illustrations, I especially like the worsted socks knitted to fit the duck's feet.
Sam Bloom
Love the collage illustrations except for one jarring detail; Duck and Kangaroo have large, creepy-looking eyes. Kind of ruins it for me.
Cindy
Odd pictures, kind of, but they fit the story. I'd never heard this poem by Lear before. It was a fun find at the library.
Hajer
The reference to smoking a cigar is what I didn't like. Had to change that sentence when's read it to my 3 year old!
Heather
The poem, of course, is great, but the illustrations are so visually appealing that they make the poem even better!
Beth
Lower rating because I did not care for the illustrations.
Cheryl
Typical Lear although not something I had heard before
Ren
Illustrations are adorable!
Dana
Jul 31, 2010 Dana marked it as picture-books
A little strange...
Satish
Satish marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Rangaswamy
Rangaswamy marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Rangaswamy
Rangaswamy marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Tre
Tre marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Claire
Claire added it
Aug 02, 2014
Alisha
Alisha added it
Jul 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Edward Lear was an English artist, illustrator and writer known for his literary nonsense, in poetry and prose, and especially his limericks, a form which he popularized.

For more information, please see http://www.answers.com/topic/edward-lear

More about Edward Lear...
The Owl and the Pussycat The Complete Verse and Other Nonsense A Book of Nonsense - More Nonsense The Jumblies The Quangle Wangle's Hat