Start by marking “The Door Through Space” as Want to Read:
Read Book* *Different edition

The Door Through Space

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  448 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Fangs of the Wolf World

Across half a Galaxy, the Terran Empire maintains its sovereignty with the consent of the governed. It is a peaceful reign, held by compact and not by conquest. Again and again, when rebellion threatens the Terran Peace, the natives of the rebellious world have turned against their own people and sided with the men of Terra; not from fear, but from a
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1961)

Monica
I read the kindle version of this book on my iPhone. This was Marion Zimmer Bradley's first book, and it shows a great deal of first book wobblies. For a Science Fiction book, it is remarkable not science fiction in essence. Sure, spaceships are spaceports and other trappings of scifi are there, but she could have very easy left them all out (substituting more conventional things instead) and still had exactly the same story! The main character was someone this reader found impossible to like - ...more
Thom Swennes
I sped away from the starting line without even hearing the opening shot. This left me in an unfamiliar place causing me to retreat and start again. In the author’s forwarding statement, she stated that this literary attempt was in someway based on science rather than just fiction. Reading and rereading the first five chapters proves that I read this book with an open mind but my final review is far from complementary. I thought it read more like a cheap forties pulp detective novel set in an am ...more
Carolyn
I read this originally as a teen, when I first discovered MZB and read everything of hers I could get my hands on. I still think that The Mists of Avalon is one of the best books I've ever read, and I still love everything Darkover, but I have to say that upon re-reading this it really fell flat for me.

I see what others (and the introduction by Elisabeth Waters) are saying, in that you can see parts of the Darkover-that-is-to-come in this, her first ever novel. And of course, since I'd read this
Jared Millet
This fun bit of early MZB is available free from Gutenberg. The feel of the book reminded me very much of Jack Vance - especially the Demon Princes cycle. Race Cargill is a worn-out intelligence agent going on One Last Mission undercover on a world where the customs are as byzantine as they are dangerous, and one wrong move will expose him and get him killed. His quarry, Rakhal, is a man so similar to the protagonist that they are repeatedly mistaken for each other, and the line between hunter a ...more
Charles
I listened to this on my kindle, after downloading it originally as a free ebook from online. There's an introduction that talks about Bradley's interest and affection for C. L. Moore and Leigh Brackett, and you can certainly see the influence here of Moore's "Northwest Smith" and Brackett's Mars. Although the world is described as "Wolf," it's close to a dead ringer for Brackett's Mars. I also believe some of this may have later been revised and published as part of a Darkover novel, though I'm ...more
John Loyd
The Door through Space (1961) 115 pages by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

Race Cargill has been sitting behind a desk for six years, never leaving the Terran zone on Wolf. This is ever since his run in with his former partner, Rahkal. Just as he is about to leave the planet, his sister, who is also Rahkal's wife brings news that Rahkal has left and taken their daughter with him.

There are people running around and disappearing and some objects, created by the toymaker, that may have hypnotic effects, but
AC
Great book! The setting is great and the characters are intricate and vibrant. The plot is intriguing and kept me on the edge of my seat. The barren alien world of Wolf is an amazing example of world-building that hearkens back to Burroughs, Brackett, Kline, and Moore. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a good book, the sci-fi/fantasy elements are present but not overpowering to what is just a really great story.
Dj
Would have been 5 solid stars, except I had a bit of a problem with the ending. Seems the author wanted to tie things up a bit too perfectly, which to me felt too contrived. Basically, this is a sci-fi Indiana Jones, except more scary, brutal, and bizarre. A wild ride that totally hooked me directly after the exposition.
Phillip
Old school sci-fi with a detective twist. I downloaded the audio from Libravox, it was well read and the book was an enjoyable listen!
Poonam
I listened to this book via librivox recordings. It was free. I chose to read this because I had read Marion Zimmer Bradley before and enjoyed it. So this book was written in the 1960s (one of her first) and I think it shows. The plot was alright, but the characters could have been developed more. The main character was a hardened ex-intelligence Terran man who goes on a quest to find his niece and brother in law, whom he has a to-death fued going on. The adventure that he goes on is definitely ...more
Christal
The Door Though Space is a fun, quick read that likens back to the days of scifi/adventure pulp stories but with a little more thought and oomph put into the characters and details. My copy of the book even has an afterword but the fabulous MZB about how she grew up with these scifi/fantasy/adventure stories, but when she started to write and try to get published scifi had moved on to the hard scifi genre and she had to switch gears to get a contract.

This novella is set on the planet Wolf, in w
J.L. Dobias
Apr 09, 2015 J.L. Dobias rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy and science fiction
Shelves: book-shelf-08
The Door Through Space by Marion Zimmer Bradley

I read this; because it was there. Well, it's written by Marion Zimmer Bradley and its one of the first novels of her's that was published. I loved The Colors of Space but honestly did not read much more than that because her stories seemed predominantly fantasy and at the time I was reading science fiction.

I'm almost sorry I haven't read more of her's- the good thing is that enough is out there I might still have time.

The Door Through Space demonst
Jim Black
Reading this book gives you the feeling that it was a test run for her famous Darkover series. Among the similarities are:

1. Darkover is mentioned as another planet in the empire.
2. The Terran Empire appears to be the same.
3. The world is bound by a compact to the Terran Empire.
4. Dry Towns.
5. The Ghost Wind.
6. ESP is implied.
7. Women are bound by chains.
8. The world orbits a red sun.
9. Catmen.
10. "Sharra" is used as an exclamation.

With all of these common items, it would not take much of a re-w
Lew
I don't believe I have read any of Ms. Bradley's stories before. I enjoy reading older SciFi-Fantasy stories but to be honest I choose read one of her stories due to the relevations/accusations of her personal life. I was curious if it would be hard not wonder about how her personal life affected her writings. This is plain science fiction/fantasy story. Nothing special. Jury still out if I'll read anything else by Ms. Bradley.
Robdemanc
This book is pretty old and maybe that is why I found it awkward to read. The plot was not clear enough to follow very well and I ended up having to re-read sections to understand why things were happening and why the character got to where he was and with who he was. I'm glad I only took it out of the library and didn't buy it.
Ben
This is a fun adventure Scifi. It's from a time before the more technical scifi movement gained popularity, so it's more of a western adventure with aliens and few spaceships. I liked the writing and the story was interesting.
Pedar
As classic sifi it is a good indication of where sifi was. Probably wouldn't get published in the present competitive environment in its present form. Would probably be more polished if done now.

It is a good, quick, fun read. Good aliens. Very good world building. The characters are ok. The presentation seems unbalanced in that there is not consistency in degree of talent displayed. Some parts seem thin, and then there is something really good, a description, an insight, characterization,... but
itpdx
Hmmm! What to say about this book?
It is a swashbuckling adventure set on a planet far away, a long time in the future. It evidently was written in 1961 and I got a big kick out of one of the trade items mentioned from earth was vacuum tubes (to a planet that the story gave no indication of having electricity!). There were a few inconsistencies. The alternative civilization was not well explained. There was very little character development and the ending was abrupt and not well founded on the re
Patrick Di Justo
Space Opera. Novella-sized, rolicking fun space opera. Nothing more, nothing less.
Kat
GR just ate my review. *sadface* Will reconstruct later. Maybe.
Terri
Race is about to leave the world of Wolf and return to Terra after 6 years behind a desk. But before he can leave his sister Juli comes to him for help. Her husband (and his former best friend) has taken her daughter and ran.

His undercover experience is the most interesting thing in the book. I never really "got" the breakup of the friendship. but it was really the depiction of the women in the book that left a sour taste in my mouth and kept me from enjoying the book as much as I could have
Karin
I didn't know this was her first book until i read other reviews, so I am impressed in that regard - first novel Wobblies and all. The plot seemed to jump around a lot and the characters could have been fleshed out more...in many ways it felt like a condensed book version of a much more detailed story. But the underlying story and mystery were captivating and had me thoroughly enjoy the ride. It might also have helped to be a tad less tired when choosing to read it!
Jimmy K.
Well, I finished it, and she didn't say the phrase "door through space" anywhere in the entire book. I thought for sure if it hadn't happened by 160 that it'd be on the last couple pages but nope. I really do love reading old science fiction though. It's so fascinating trying to imagine THEM, in the past, trying to imagine US, in the now. I love it. She was careful not to be too specific so nothing seemed dated which I liked a lot. Not bad at all for a first book.
Susan
The women of Wolf are beautiful, and deadly. The fashion and culture dictate they wear stylized fetters on their arms to show they belong to some clan or house. Those women who are unfettered….well, while more mysterious, they are also shunned by polite society. Oh, and there is torture too. Yes, don’t let me forget about the torture. This book has several things going for it and definitely encourages me to pick up more Marion Zimmer Bradley.
Avril
MZB's first published book, and it shows. Sci Fi pulp, but fascinating for its insights into Darkover - the planet may be Wolf but the culture is Darkovan, as s the theme of characters needing to balance their two worlds. It's just a pity that The Door Through Space seems to accept the Dry-town tradition of chaining women, when the Darkover novel The Shattered Chain is a protest against it. Only for Darkover completists.
Kathy Sebesta
It's interesting to read this book at a remove of 50+ years. It's early MZB, written at the time she had started the Darkover series but before she had finalized the universe. Thus she here has some of the cultures - the Dry-Towners, Shainsa, and ya-men in particular - set into a story on a different planet than Darkover, but under the same suns. It's kind of fun to see the beginnings while knowing how it ends.
Tressa
The writing style of the The Door Through Space reminds of 1940s and 1950s science-fiction, but it was also similar to a Western story. I thought that was an intriguing combination.

I liked how "alien" the societies became the further away the story journeyed from the Terran Headquarters. The alien societies were quite intriguing. In fact, the societies on Wolf were also a little disturbing.
Mollie
This was very interesting and not what I was expecting from Marion Zimmer Bradley as I had only read The Mists of Avalon before. Interesting storyline that did not require a lot of background on aliens or her work to get into the plot. There were some slow spots but there were also moments where it picked up the action very well and had quite an interesting twist near the end. An quick enjoyable read.
Wahiaronkwas David
Reminded me a lot of C.L Moore's Northwest of Earth. Apparently the author was influenced by Northwest. I found the ending to be ... how do I put it? Flat. Interesting on the whole, but not one I'd rush to re-read.
Heather
Meh. Felt pointless at the end. Also MZB trying way too hard to write "manly".
  • Star Born (Pax/Astra, #2)
  • Metropolis
  • The Skylark of Space (Skylark #1)
  • Pale Rider: Zombies versus Dinosaurs
  • Ravaged (The Hunger #3)
  • City at World's End
  • Trouble With Tycho
  • Lightspeed: Year One
  • Dinosaur Lake
  • Crescendo (Inola Walela/Steven Hawk Suspense Series, #3)
  • Writers of the Future Volume 28
  • The Dagger and the Cross (Alamut, #2)
  • Eternity's End (Star Rigger, #6)
  • Gentleman's Relish
  • Planets of Adventure
  • Superluminal
  • The Black Star Passes
  • Artemis
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...
The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) The Forest House (Avalon, #2) Priestess of Avalon (Avalon, #4) Lady of Avalon (Avalon, #3) The Firebrand

“By and large, the kind of science fiction which makes tomorrow's headlines as near as this morning's coffee has enlarged popular awareness of the modern, miraculous world of science we live in. It has helped generations of young people feel at age with a changing world.

But fashions change, old loves return, and now that Sputniks clutter up the sky with new and unfamiliar moons, the readers of science fiction are willing to wait to read tomorrow's headlines. Once again, I think, there is a place, a wish, a need for the wonder and color of the world way out. The world beyond the stars. The world we won't live to see. That is why I wrote The Door Through Space.”
4 likes