Start by marking “Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals” as Want to Read:
Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals

Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals (Ed Emberley Drawing Books)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Using simple shapes, Ed Emberley shows would-be artists how to draw a variety of animals, including lions, frogs, mice, birds, dragons, and more! This classic book is packed with cool things that kids-and not a few adults-really want to draw. Easy and fun, the book provides hours of art-full entertainment.
Published April 5th 2006 by LB Kids (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals

The Dot by Peter H. ReynoldsIsh by Peter H. ReynoldsBeautiful Oops! by Barney SaltzbergGreen by Laura Vaccaro SeegerNot a Box by Antoinette Portis
Great Books for the Elementary Art Room
83rd out of 133 books — 23 voters
Go Away, Big Green Monster! by Ed EmberleyA Birthday Wish by Ed EmberleyBits And Bytes by Seymour SimonBye-Bye, Big Bad Bullybug! by Ed EmberleyChicken Little by Rebecca Emberley
Best of Ed Emberley
16th out of 63 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Tanisha
very very very very very very very very very very very very fun ;]
Scott
Sep 05, 2009 Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children ages 5-12
Shelves: art-books, children
Ed Emberley starts where most elementary-aged kids are at (stick figures) and brings drawing to the next immediate level of complexity. No shading, still just two-dimensional, but able to capture more of the world. Children tend to be very methodical and formulaic in their drawing--what they haven't seen others draw before, they tend to lack the imagination and talent to figure out (on their own) the technique for rendering it in a recognizable form. What most need is an engaging mentor that wil...more
Dolly
Mar 19, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children who are learning how to draw
We've really enjoyed Ed Emberley's Monster books like Go Away, Big Green Monster!, so we were excited to find some books about drawing by this author. Our oldest loves to practice her drawing skills and she is always trying to help her little sister too; this is a good book that shows a step-by-step method to drawing fun creatures. It uses basic shapes and simple additive layers of detail to make fun animal shapes and cartoonish creatures.
Monica Wright
We have this book and it's great for kids to be inspired and "just get started" when learning to draw.
Phoenix
Phoenix loves his books and since our local library only has a limited variety of his books she was so sad. Then I found this book and it has really really been great! We go to a lot of museums and a couple of weeks ago she said that is she an ARTIST! So we have been exploring more drawing styles and this one is perfect because it show step by easy step how to draw. Each day or week I try to focus on one or two animals to draw and she has picked how to draw a pig, spider, porcupine and octopus a...more
Meaghan
Ed Emberly is an awesome human being. This book taught me how to draw when I was 6. When I was 39, I bought another copy and Ed signed it with a personalized drawing. My sister bought a print of his for her son's room, and Ed signed it, drew two personalized sketches for Aidan, and posed for a picture with Aidan on his lap. He is an amazing artist, and a true fan of his community. I am a huge fan. Bonus that he is an amazingly nice guy
Nicola Mansfield
This is the French edition of Ed Emberley's Animals drawing book. While we do not speak any French the book was still usuable for us as it is 90% visual. This is simply a fabulous book to teach both the very young and anyone else, regardless of age, the basic rudimentary drawing skills of animals. Using just a handful of basic shapes, lines and squiggles you will be able to draw pages and pages of different animals. Recommended!
Gregandemy
I found an old print of this at the library and picked it up for Xander, who loves to draw. Greg remembered using the same books when he was growing up. Its has been great. The steps are so easy to follow and Xander is having fun drawing all kinds of animals. I'd love to find more of this style for our collection at home.
Arlene Allen
I LOVED this book myself as a kid, and spent many happy hours drawing animals, Emberley-style. And then guess what? I got it for my daughter, who then also spent many (I hope happy) hours drawing animals Emberley style. Long may Emberley reign!
CJ
One of the first drawing books I had and also one of my favorites as a kid. It really teaches you to see how to make whatever you want out of basic shapes. Excellent resource for teaching children art.
Nicole
Anyone can draw! This book was perfect for my 6 year old, who loves to draw. It gave him confidence that he could draw amazing, creative things. We've gotten several others from the library since this one.
Joanne
This is a great book for a 5 year old to use to begin drawing. The book shows you step by step how to use simple shapes to draw animals. My daughter loved using it to draw pictures and make cards.
Carolyn
LOVED this book as a kid - had many hours of drawing fun using it. Hmmmm...wonder if the folks still have it in a bookcase somewhere...gotta check on that!
Cat
Took this book out of the library as a kid literally dozens of times. I snagged it for my daughter and she loved it as much as I did. Ed Emberley rocks!
Shoshana
Apr 26, 2008 Shoshana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little kids that like to draw, grown ups that need a little help drawing
My original hardcover edition is falling apart. I loved this book with heart, soul, and fingerprints. Simple, easy to follow, and fun!
Lisa
Jun 12, 2010 Lisa marked it as to-read
Must see if my nephews have this book. Might inspire them to sketch a bit. Maybe they'll have some of their mother's raw talent.
Renae Deckard
One of my favorite drawing books from my childhood! Now my daughters are enjoying it as much as I did.
Theresa
cute simple drawings using shapes, and simple lines may help children build confidence in art
Tammie
I got this book when I was in the 5th grade and I still have it. I've passed it down to my kids.
Rosanne
This is a great book to show children how to use simple shapes to make the whole.
Vee
I'm sure I "read" a couple of Emberley's books when I was a kid. Great exercises.
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Anson
Anson marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
  • The Little Bit Scary People
  • The Art of Urban Sketching: Drawing On Location Around The World
  • Yucky Worms
  • Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond
  • The Geek Dad's Guide to Weekend Fun: Cool Hacks, Cutting-Edge Games, and More Awesome Projects for the Whole Family
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Katie Meets The Impressionists
  • Beautiful Oops!
Go Away, Big Green Monster! Glad Monster, Sad Monster Nighty Night, Little Green Monster Bye-Bye, Big Bad Bullybug! Ed Emberley's Drawing Book: Make a World