Start by marking “Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals” as Want to Read:
Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals

Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals (Ed Emberley Drawing Books)

Using simple shapes, Ed Emberley shows would-be artists how to draw a variety of animals, including lions, frogs, mice, birds, dragons, and more! This classic book is packed with cool things that kids-and not a few adults-really want to draw. Easy and fun, the book provides hours of art-full entertainment.
Published April 5th 2006 by LB Kids (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals

Camie
Jun 20, 2015 Camie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-grandkids
If you have a young child in your life you should check out this (one of many) drawing book by Ed Emberely. Step by step directions, starting with basic shapes which can be completed to any level, this book is so fun . I actually bought this for my own kids sometime in the early 1980's and now it's being enjoyed by their children. A great "off screen " activity for summer. 5 stars
Tanisha
Jul 25, 2010 Tanisha rated it it was amazing
very very very very very very very very very very very very fun ;]
Lily Tice
Mar 13, 2017 Lily Tice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, art
I got this from the Little Free Library box in my neighborhood just because I liked the illustration style, but I went through each page and really enjoyed his perspective that one of the main keys to drawing is realizing every complex form is made up of other simple shapes. I even dug up some markers and tried a couple of the exercises! This is a really sweet book to help kids (or adults!) conquer drawing-anxiety, and I'll definitely be holding onto it.
Scott
Sep 05, 2009 Scott rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children ages 5-12
Shelves: children, art-books
Ed Emberley starts where most elementary-aged kids are at (stick figures) and brings drawing to the next immediate level of complexity. No shading, still just two-dimensional, but able to capture more of the world. Children tend to be very methodical and formulaic in their drawing--what they haven't seen others draw before, they tend to lack the imagination and talent to figure out (on their own) the technique for rendering it in a recognizable form. What most need is an engaging mentor that wil ...more
Siskiyou-Suzy
Okay, this book is the best thing ever. Three-year-olds can use this to draw animals they could never muster up otherwise. And they get so proud of themselves. They focus and plot and plan and then have pride in what they made, and that's just so so so wonderful. So many books out there are just not for the youngest kiddos. But this book is. And it's for older kiddos. And adults!

And this book has the best dedication I have ever seen. "For the boy I was, the book I could not find." It makes my th
Dolly
Mar 18, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children who are learning how to draw
We've really enjoyed Ed Emberley's Monster books like Go Away, Big Green Monster!, so we were excited to find some books about drawing by this author. Our oldest loves to practice her drawing skills and she is always trying to help her little sister too; this is a good book that shows a step-by-step method to drawing fun creatures. It uses basic shapes and simple additive layers of detail to make fun animal shapes and cartoonish creatures.
Phoenix
Dec 06, 2013 Phoenix rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Phoenix loves his books and since our local library only has a limited variety of his books she was so sad. Then I found this book and it has really really been great! We go to a lot of museums and a couple of weeks ago she said that is she an ARTIST! So we have been exploring more drawing styles and this one is perfect because it show step by easy step how to draw. Each day or week I try to focus on one or two animals to draw and she has picked how to draw a pig, spider, porcupine and octopus a ...more
Nicola Mansfield
This is the French edition of Ed Emberley's Animals drawing book. While we do not speak any French the book was still usuable for us as it is 90% visual. This is simply a fabulous book to teach both the very young and anyone else, regardless of age, the basic rudimentary drawing skills of animals. Using just a handful of basic shapes, lines and squiggles you will be able to draw pages and pages of different animals. Recommended!
Meaghan
Feb 25, 2011 Meaghan rated it it was amazing
Ed Emberly is an awesome human being. This book taught me how to draw when I was 6. When I was 39, I bought another copy and Ed signed it with a personalized drawing. My sister bought a print of his for her son's room, and Ed signed it, drew two personalized sketches for Aidan, and posed for a picture with Aidan on his lap. He is an amazing artist, and a true fan of his community. I am a huge fan. Bonus that he is an amazingly nice guy
Library
Jun 01, 2016 Library rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, craft
Emberley's simple drawing style encourages those who believe drawing is too hard for them. His step by step instructions will have children creating art in no time at all. The drawings are created using a specific set of shapes, letters, etc. Below each step, Emberley includes the shapes added to the drawing making it easy to follow along.
Gregandemy
Nov 13, 2008 Gregandemy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-kids
I found an old print of this at the library and picked it up for Xander, who loves to draw. Greg remembered using the same books when he was growing up. Its has been great. The steps are so easy to follow and Xander is having fun drawing all kinds of animals. I'd love to find more of this style for our collection at home.
Nicole
Nov 29, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Anyone can draw! This book was perfect for my 6 year old, who loves to draw. It gave him confidence that he could draw amazing, creative things. We've gotten several others from the library since this one.
Arlene Allen
Aug 11, 2010 Arlene Allen rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book myself as a kid, and spent many happy hours drawing animals, Emberley-style. And then guess what? I got it for my daughter, who then also spent many (I hope happy) hours drawing animals Emberley style. Long may Emberley reign!
CJ
Dec 13, 2007 CJ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, art, favorites
One of the first drawing books I had and also one of my favorites as a kid. It really teaches you to see how to make whatever you want out of basic shapes. Excellent resource for teaching children art.
Anne
Apr 24, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kids, animals, art
Put this on my "for kids" shelf but I totally got it for myself. So fun.
Rosanne
Mar 19, 2011 Rosanne rated it really liked it
This is a great book to show children how to use simple shapes to make the whole.
Carolyn
LOVED this book as a kid - had many hours of drawing fun using it. Hmmmm...wonder if the folks still have it in a bookcase somewhere...gotta check on that!
Renae Deckard
Jun 14, 2011 Renae Deckard rated it really liked it
Shelves: arts-crafts
One of my favorite drawing books from my childhood! Now my daughters are enjoying it as much as I did.
Tammie
Jan 07, 2012 Tammie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I got this book when I was in the 5th grade and I still have it. I've passed it down to my kids.
Shoshana
Apr 26, 2008 Shoshana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little kids that like to draw, grown ups that need a little help drawing
My original hardcover edition is falling apart. I loved this book with heart, soul, and fingerprints. Simple, easy to follow, and fun!
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals
Emberley, Ed
cute simple drawings using shapes, and simple lines may help children build confidence in art
Kerri
May 14, 2012 Kerri rated it it was amazing
So fun! The kids started using it a lot, after I spent a few addictive sessions enjoying it when they thought they weren't interested.
Vee
I'm sure I "read" a couple of Emberley's books when I was a kid. Great exercises.
Monica Wright
Mar 20, 2014 Monica Wright rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
We have this book and it's great for kids to be inspired and "just get started" when learning to draw.
Lisa
Jun 12, 2010 Lisa marked it as to-read
Must see if my nephews have this book. Might inspire them to sketch a bit. Maybe they'll have some of their mother's raw talent.
Cat
Feb 16, 2011 Cat rated it it was amazing
Took this book out of the library as a kid literally dozens of times. I snagged it for my daughter and she loved it as much as I did. Ed Emberley rocks!
Kelly
Aug 07, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing
5 stars.
Joanne
Oct 07, 2008 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschool
This is a great book for a 5 year old to use to begin drawing. The book shows you step by step how to use simple shapes to draw animals. My daughter loved using it to draw pictures and make cards.
Fabrizio
Fabrizio rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
Stacy S Feldman
Stacy S Feldman rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2016
  • Drawing and Painting Imaginary Animals: A Mixed-Media Workshop with Carla Sonheim
  • Rip the Page!: Adventures in Creative Writing
  • Camille and the Sunflowers: A Story about Vincent van Gogh
  • Let's Make Some Great Art
  • Tough Chicks
  • Only One You
American artist and illustrator, best known for children's picture books.
More about Ed Emberley...

Ed Emberley Drawing Books (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Ed Emberley's Drawing Book: Make a World
  • Ed Emberley's Great Thumbprint Drawing Book
  • Ed Emberley's Big Green Drawing Book
  • Ed Emberley's Big Orange Drawing Book
  • Ed Emberley's Fingerprint Drawing Book
  • Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Faces (REPACKAGED)
  • Ed Emberley's Big Purple Drawing Book