Start by marking “The Thanksgiving Visitor” as Want to Read:
The Thanksgiving Visitor

Truman Capote

The Thanksgiving Visitor

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,435 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
Illustrated in full color. Another masterpiece by the great American writer Truman Capote is brought to an audience of all ages. Buddy and his closest friend, his eccentric, elderly cousin, Miss Sook - the memorable characters from Capote's A Christmas Memory--love preparing their old country house for Thanksgiving. But there's trouble in the air. Odd Henderson, a scrawny, ...more
Published November 12th 1968 by Random House (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about The Thanksgiving Visitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thanksgiving Visitor

Connie
Truman Capote (Buddy) lived with a group of older cousins when he was seven years old. He was especially close to Miss Sook, a simple, innocent elderly cousin who radiated kindness and empathized with the less fortunate. When Miss Sook invites Buddy's impoverished schoolyard tormenter to Thanksgiving dinner, her act of compassion has an impact on both boys. Miss Sook was far from simple when it came to understanding the emotional needs of children.

This was a Moderator's Choice for the "On the So
Franco  Santos
Otro libro de relatos que leo de Truman Capote. En mi opinión, es el más complejo; te dejan pensando un buen rato cada vez que terminas una historia. Algunos se me hicieron un poco pesados, entretenidos pero pesados. Otros me encantaron. El cuento Un Árbol de la Noche te transmite un clima de tensión hasta los huesos. Muy bueno.

En fin, buen libro de relatos de Capote.
orsodimondo (a zonzo)
UMILIAZIONE PREMEDITATA
Thanksgiving è la festa americana che preferisco: cade sempre l’ultimo giovedì di novembre, non viene spostata per motivi commerciali o di praticità - è una specie di natale, famiglia e/o amici, ma niente acquisti di regali, vicinanza, affetto, calore umano. La salsa di cranberry che mi piace, il tacchino che invece non mi è mai piaciuto, la torta di zucca con o senza la panna, le case addobbate e le tavole imbandite. Bei ricordi.

description

Scritto dopo ‘A sangue freddo’, che immagin
Henry Martin
Nov 26, 2013 Henry Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I found this in the "children" section at a local library, I was not expecting much more than a read-aloud Thanksgiving story. What I got instead was a fine piece of literature.

Right off the start there is action. The story itself is rather simple (on the surface), but has some rather interesting aspects to it. Set against the background of the Great Depression, we get:

A dark theme
Thoughts of suicide
Confrontati
Kipp Normand
Jan 03, 2008 Kipp Normand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have an edition of this book from the 1970s that includes Capote's "A Christmas Memory" I read this every year during the holidays. Both stories are from Capote's childhood while he lived with distant relatives before being sent to military school. That may have been the only happy period in his life. This book makes me grateful at Thanksgiving and content at Christmas.
Chadijah Mastura
Aug 24, 2007 Chadijah Mastura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alreadyread
wow, this is a fast-reading book, yet could claw you down. well, i start to enjoy and understand capote, and i admire the character of Miss Sook, his cousin, an old-woman who was so pure and naive, isolated and awkward to other human, and yet so open and touched by the humanity itself in her own sweet way. youd learn how violence, humiliation and embarrassment could effect the goodness in you, yet if dealt in a clear and pure-hearted way, they could shape you up to be a better human with far-fet ...more
Cynthia Egbert
Oct 19, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Truman Capote can WRITE! I love this story and the reminders it offers of what it really means to be a good person and how we need to work to walk that mile in another person's shoes. This should be a Thanksgiving classic for most families. It is shelved with the children's books but should be read as a family as the language is rich and it warrants discussion. A few nice quotes:

"No. I never have hated. We're allotted just so much time on earth, and I wouldn't want the Lord to see me wasting min
Nov 04, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: southern, group-reads
Review to follow by my 10 year old.
Clif Hostetler
Mar 12, 2012 Clif Hostetler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
This is a heart warming lesson on the virtues of loving your enemy and being kind to those who persecute you. It's an autobiographical story from the author's childhood which I presume is mostly true, subject to the usual limitations of any memoir. It is a long short story--or is it a short long story? I read it in one hour.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
A short little story based on Truman Capote's real life, with descriptions of Alabama Thanksgivings and a lesson about ... kindness? Forgiveness? All of the above.
Josh Stoll
Apr 08, 2010 Josh Stoll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the story itself is somewhat simplistic, it works because it's dated and quaint enough to make it seem like a companion piece to A Christmas Story (the movie). It even has the same wry sense of humor. Capote writes in flourishes and punctuation, which can be a bit overwrought at times, but often comes off as charming and engaging.
Summary:
Buddy (Truman Capote) has a family that overloads their thanksgiving feasts. He often detaches himself from the family, instead spending time with his onl
Nicole
This autobiographical story takes place in the 1930's, a time when times were hard and people did without. Buddy (aka Capote) lives in Alabama with his elderly relatives including his aunt Miss Sook who is his closest friend of the time. However, he suffers at the hand of the local bully Odd Henderson. Miss Sook believes that kindness and understanding are the key to resolving differences and invites Odd to Thanksgiving dinner.

This was a cute story with a strong moral ending. It was a little lo
Cyndi
Nov 20, 2015 Cyndi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute story with a lovely ending. Usually a 'classic story' is a classic for a reason. A good holiday story for young and old alike. I would recommend this story to any reading list for the holiday. Puts you in the holiday mood.
Greg Z
Nov 23, 2015 Greg Z rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Capote weaves a sinister being throughout these stories: the one he may have been warned about as a child, as in "if you're bad..." From the opening story (Master Misery-a man buys other people's dreams) to the closer (A Tree of Night-a young lady encounters malignancy during a train trip) there is a sense of warning, of avoiding certain people. "Shut a Final Door" may have two explanations: either a man shuts said final door to a life he might like to live but can't or perhaps he is the siniste ...more
Yuan
Sep 10, 2013 Yuan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: capote
Every character in this book, whether a child in a southern small town or a grown-up in New York city, is extremely lonely and doubtful about his/her existence. Mr Capote's writing is luxurious, fancy and delicate. But the not so good part is most characters in this book are very vague. You only know they are so lonely and unhappy, and you feel bad about them, you may even feel some similarities between yourself and the characters. But after you finish the book, you can't distinguish the one fro ...more
Juan Escobar
May 02, 2016 Juan Escobar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Todo el amor, la compasión, las costumbres y pensamientos de Miss Sook, la tía que crió a Truman Capote, están en este pequeño cuento.

Pero nuestras vidas transcurría principalmente en la cocina, una cocina de campo, presidida por un gran hogar negro de madera, que a menudo estaba oscura y soleada al mismo tiempo.

Siempre se está hablando de comida, y de futuras comidas, y de qué será la comida.

El desayuno era nuestra comida principal; la comida del mediodia, excepto los domingos, y la cena, er
Kirk Smith
A beautifully written short story. A lesson about adversity seen through the eyes of an eight year old. Lots of warm descriptions of family and holiday fare. Sure to put you in a cozy mood! Oh, and Thanks! to Laura for mentioning this.
Kharen
Apr 30, 2016 Kharen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Otro libro de la serie autobiográfica de Capote, con su prima Sook como protagonista

Festividades llenas de familiares y suculentas mesas. Capote (Buddy) un niño observador y frágil. Su prima Sookie con una sensibilidad especial para entender y querer a los niños y un matón llamado Odd Henderson, presente para aguar la fiesta.

Un espantajo flaco, pecoso, con un sudado mono de deshecho que hubiera sido una humillación para un presidiario

Sobre la empatía y el ponerse en los zapatos del otro, sobre l
Donna
Jun 08, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lately I’ve been reading some of Truman Capote’s short stories. This is a favorite of mine. The narrator is 7 or 8-year-old Buddy who is living with distant relatives (4 elderly cousins - 3 maiden ladies and their bachelor brother) in Alabama in 1932. Buddy is having trouble each morning on his way to school with a bully, 12-year-old Odd Henderson. Buddy confides in Sook, one of his maiden cousins, who helps him learn through her words and example about sympathy and kindness, graciousness and fo ...more
Arda
Jul 12, 2016 Arda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Avete presente "Ai confini della realtà"???
Ecco...ogni racconto verrebbe bene per fare diverse puntate...un misto di ansia, ambienti cupi, come se il cielo fosse sempre grigio pronto a fare esplodere un temporale, personaggi strani e situazioni altrettanto strane...
Una delle cose che ho apprezzato di più sono stati i finali, che mi hanno sempre lasciata a bocca aperta, non perché fossero spettacolari, o perché ci fossero dei colpi di scena, ma perché era tutte scene che mi facevano dire "e quind
Mary Jo
Dec 04, 2012 Mary Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story stands the test of time. Even more relevant today as we live in a world of bullying.
Patti Tindal

I liked it so much I ordered a hardback copy of it plus A Christmas Memory
Georgi Marrapodi
Amazing book. Includes the most frightening story of all times, Miriam.
Juan Escobar
Mar 26, 2016 Juan Escobar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lindos, pero lindos cuentos de niños, amores, mujeres y ciudades. Algo oscuros.

No sé lo que quiero, y tal vez nunca lo sepa, mi único deseo ante cada estrella será ver otra estrella.

Profesor miseria trata de llegar a la gran ciudad y caer tan bajo como para vender los sueños.

Niños en su cumpleaños es la historia de una niña adulta que vive con dignidad y elegancia en un pueblo polvoriento.

Cierra la última puerta la vida vista debajo de un ventilador de aspas de un hotel.

La botella de plata es
Frank
Apr 14, 2010 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Read this ages ago, and just reread the first two stories. They're still as tremendous as I remembered. I think in the end I like his short stories best of all.

And having only recently reread a Nathanael West novel it struck me again how this must have been a major influence on Capote: the protagonist of his hilarious story Children on their Birthdays is Miss Bobbit, a precocious little girl who would like to get into movies. This seems to come straight out of Day of the Locust, where there's a
Jenny
Nov 29, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I can remember for the next holiday season, since I always get Truman Capote and Dylan Thomas mixed up, the tape we always listen to is Capote's "Christmas Memory."

But I just paged through this one; what a great writer, and what a holiday great story. "she talked to herself often, a habit of sane persons of a solitary nature". And even better, "I don't say people should have everything they want. Though, come to think of it, I don't see what's wrong with that, either. Youu ought to have a bi
Trace
Oct 08, 2015 Trace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading The Thanksgiving Visitor, a short story by Truman Capote and loved it. It takes talent to give characters depth and richness in such a short story but Capote certainly pulled it off in this story. Miss Sook is just a lovely, lovely character!! She is not a mother, but would be a great literary mentor for mothers. I'm going to purchase a copy to read every Thanksgiving!
Malvina
Mar 29, 2015 Malvina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another poignant story from Truman Capote's childhood. This time his beloved older cousin Miss Sook extends compassionate understanding to Capote's enemy and school bully, Odd Henderson, in an act Capote struggles to understand - and which shakes both boys. As Odd remarks: You must be a special lady, Miss Sook, to fib for me like that. Very touching.
Stella Wenny
Sep 29, 2015 Stella Wenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She wanted to know what I’d wished.
"That you’re still my friend.”
"Dumbhead,” she said, and hugged me.
"Forever?”
“I won’t be here forever, Buddy. Nor will you.” Her voice sank like the sun on the pasture’s horizon, was silent a second and then climbed with the strength of a new sun. “But yes, forever. The Lord willing, you’ll be here long after I’ve gone. And as long as you remember me, then we’ll always be together.”
Rosa Cline
A classic story originally printed in 1967; the lesson learnt from it still holds 'true' today. A little boy and his aunt have a really close relationship. When she sees something in others that he doesn't see; it takes her kindness and love to turn his thinking around.
Billerica Public ...: The Thanksgiving Visitor 1 5 Dec 10, 2012 06:10AM
  • The Collected Dorothy Parker
  • The Tall Woman
  • The Celestial Omnibus and other Stories
  • Selected Poems, 1908-1969
  • Truman Capote: In Which Various Friends, Enemies, Acquaintences and Detractors Recall His Turbulent Career
  • Lightning Bug
  • John Donne - The Major Works: Including Songs and Sonnets and Sermons
  • Farewell, I'm Bound to Leave You: Stories
  • Cranberry Thanksgiving
  • Happy Thanksgiving, Biscuit!
Truman Capote was an American writer whose non-fiction, stories, novels and plays are recognised literary classics, including the novella Breakfast at Tiffany's (1958) and In Cold Blood (1965), which he labeled a "non-fiction novel." At least 20 films and TV dramas have been produced from Capote novels, stories and screenplays.

He was born as Truman Streckfus Persons to a salesman Archulus Persons
More about Truman Capote...

“there is only one unpardonable sin--deliberate cruelty. All else can be forgiven.” 95 likes
“Now listen to me, Buddy: there is only one unpardonable sin - deliberate cruelty. All else can be forgiven. That, never.” 14 likes