Start by marking “The Thanksgiving Visitor” as Want to Read:
The Thanksgiving Visitor

Truman Capote

The Thanksgiving Visitor

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  965 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Illustrated in full color. Another masterpiece by the great American writer Truman Capote is brought to an audience of all ages. Buddy and his closest friend, his eccentric, elderly cousin, Miss Sook - the memorable characters from Capote's A Christmas Memory--love preparing their old country house for Thanksgiving. But there's trouble in the air. Odd Henderson, a scrawny, ...more
Published November 12th 1968 by Random House (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Thanksgiving Visitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thanksgiving Visitor

Connie
Truman Capote (Buddy) lived with a group of older cousins when he was seven years old. He was especially close to Miss Sook, a simple, innocent elderly cousin who radiated kindness and empathized with the less fortunate. When Miss Sook invites Buddy's impoverished schoolyard tormenter to Thanksgiving dinner, her act of compassion has an impact on both boys. Miss Sook was far from simple when it came to understanding the emotional needs of children.

This was a Moderator's Choice for the "On the So
Henry Martin
When I found this in the "children" section at a local library, I was not expecting much more than a read-aloud Thanksgiving story. What I got instead was a fine piece of literature.

Right off the start there is action. The story itself is rather simple (on the surface), but has some rather interesting aspects to it. Set against the background of the Great Depression, we get:

A dark theme
Thoughts of running away
Thoughts of suicide
Confrontati
Kipp Normand
I have an edition of this book from the 1970s that includes Capote's "A Christmas Memory" I read this every year during the holidays. Both stories are from Capote's childhood while he lived with distant relatives before being sent to military school. That may have been the only happy period in his life. This book makes me grateful at Thanksgiving and content at Christmas.
Chadijah Mastura
wow, this is a fast-reading book, yet could claw you down. well, i start to enjoy and understand capote, and i admire the character of Miss Sook, his cousin, an old-woman who was so pure and naive, isolated and awkward to other human, and yet so open and touched by the humanity itself in her own sweet way. youd learn how violence, humiliation and embarrassment could effect the goodness in you, yet if dealt in a clear and pure-hearted way, they could shape you up to be a better human with far-fet ...more
Review to follow by my 10 year old.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
A short little story based on Truman Capote's real life, with descriptions of Alabama Thanksgivings and a lesson about ... kindness? Forgiveness? All of the above.
Josh Stoll
While the story itself is somewhat simplistic, it works because it's dated and quaint enough to make it seem like a companion piece to A Christmas Story (the movie). It even has the same wry sense of humor. Capote writes in flourishes and punctuation, which can be a bit overwrought at times, but often comes off as charming and engaging.
Summary:
Buddy (Truman Capote) has a family that overloads their thanksgiving feasts. He often detaches himself from the family, instead spending time with his onl
Nicole
This autobiographical story takes place in the 1930's, a time when times were hard and people did without. Buddy (aka Capote) lives in Alabama with his elderly relatives including his aunt Miss Sook who is his closest friend of the time. However, he suffers at the hand of the local bully Odd Henderson. Miss Sook believes that kindness and understanding are the key to resolving differences and invites Odd to Thanksgiving dinner.

This was a cute story with a strong moral ending. It was a little lo
Kirk Smith
A beautifully written short story. A lesson about adversity seen through the eyes of an eight year old. Lots of warm descriptions of family and holiday fare. Sure to put you in a cozy mood! Oh, and Thanks! to Laura for mentioning this.
Clif Hostetler
This is a heart warming lesson on the virtues of loving your enemy and being kind to those who persecute you. It's an autobiographical story from the author's childhood which I presume is mostly true, subject to the usual limitations of any memoir. It is a long short story--or is it a short long story? I read it in one hour.
Mary Jo
This story stands the test of time. Even more relevant today as we live in a world of bullying.
Patti Tindal

I liked it so much I ordered a hardback copy of it plus A Christmas Memory
Jenny
So I can remember for the next holiday season, since I always get Truman Capote and Dylan Thomas mixed up, the tape we always listen to is Capote's "Christmas Memory."

But I just paged through this one; what a great writer, and what a holiday great story. "she talked to herself often, a habit of sane persons of a solitary nature". And even better, "I don't say people should have everything they want. Though, come to think of it, I don't see what's wrong with that, either. Youu ought to have a bi
Malvina
Another poignant story from Truman Capote's childhood. This time his beloved older cousin Miss Sook extends compassionate understanding to Capote's enemy and school bully, Odd Henderson, in an act Capote struggles to understand - and which shakes both boys. As Odd remarks: You must be a special lady, Miss Sook, to fib for me like that. Very touching.
Karen Zelano
The Thanksgiving Visitor by Truman Capote is a wonderful nostalgic story set in 1932 South. Buddy, ( Truman Capote himself ) shares the story of the invitation his "friend" - his loner elderly aunt , shares with his nemesis bully at school. Buddy is mortified and hurt, and when the young 12 year old appears on Thanksgiving the misadventures begin. They all learn lessons and the reader is left feeling a sense of gratitude , yet a wish to return to the simpler , yet perhaps more difficult days of ...more
Lexy
A true story from Truman Capote's childhood as relayed in a wonderful life lesson. Capote's elderly cousin and best friend invites his bully friend for Thanksgiving under his protest. Capote witnesses Odd's stealing of a broach and decides to call him out during dinner. His cousin is sent to see if the broach is gone and returns to the table stating the broach is still where it has always been. Odd then removes the broach from his pocket and thanks Miss Sook for lying for him and leaves the tabl ...more
Lora
Glad I discovered Capote and his sweet quirky childhood stories. This is one of those things I'm afraid we'll lose in society if families ever get factory processed by manufactured culture. Every family needs it idiosyncrasies, that's all there is to it. And we need the stories of our past family members, too, as much as we can get our hands on. 'Nuff said.
Nina Rapsodia
Jun 20, 2014 Nina Rapsodia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo
Recommended to Nina by: Nadie
Normalmente le sigo la pista a mis autores favoritos y poco a poco me voy leyendo toda su obra. Cuando descubrí a este autor por una lectura de la universidad, quedé prendada de él por los siglos de los siglos.

Hace algún tiempo reseñe Desayuno en Tiffanys, que aparte de la novela corta de la señorita Holly, contenía otras tres historias. Una de ellas "Un recuerdo navideño" fue de las que más me gustó. Nos daba a conocer a un personaje recurrente de las historias de la infancia de Truman con la f
Kathy Satterfield
This book, along with the Christmas Memory, are two that I can almost repeat by memory and that never fail to make me cry. The honesty of the writing is painfully beautiful haunting.
Skostal
This snip of a book, published nearly 20 years after In Cold Blood, was one of the last pieces Capote completed. The book mirrors some his attraction to the Kansas killers. The exception is that here it is Miss Sook, who helped raise Capote, who finds care and concern for the dirt-poor bully who has been mercilessly tormenting Truman. She invites him to Thanksgiving, much to Capote's dismay. Capote faces the dinner-table spectacle of rightly accusing his bully of stealing, and having Miss Sook t ...more
Bonnie
Nov 21, 2008 Bonnie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Bonnie by: Little ol' me
"'There's just this I want to say, Buddy. Two wrongs never made a right. It was wrong of him to take the cameo. But we don't know why he took it. Maybe he never meant to keep it. Whatever his reason, it can't have been calculated. Which is why what you did was much worse: you planned to humiliate him. It was deliberate. Now listen to me, Buddy: there is only one unpardonable sin--deliberate cruelty. All else can be forgiven. That, never. Do you understand me, Buddy'

I did, dimly, and time has ta
Robin
Beautifully written story of friendship in a time past.
Tricia
A recent recommendation of Capote's A Christmas Memory sent me to our library card catalog. The illustrated version of Christmas Memory was lost, so I got this instead (along with a volume of short stories that included A Christmas Memory. I enjoyed it, perhaps even more than the Christmas story. A good lesson to learn, Miss Sook's comment that intentionally humiliating someone is one of the worst sins possible. That might be overly simplistic from the perspective of theology, but it's certainl ...more
Libby Ames
This is a nostalgic look at Thanksgiving in 1932 told from the viewpoint of 9-year-old Buddy. Growing up in a small Alabama town, Buddy’s best friends are his dog Queenie and his 60-year-old cousin, Miss Sook. His friendship with Miss Sook is put to the test when she insists on inviting the school bully, Odd Henderson, to Thanksgiving dinner. Through this experience, Buddy learns the importance of suspending judgment and extending forgiveness. This short story is perfect for reading out loud tog ...more
Yvonne
The Thanksgiving Visitor is a delightful shory story by Truman Capote. Capote takes us into his memory of Thanksgiving 1932 , when he was living with his elderly aunts and uncle in Alabama. We are given a glimpse of life during the Depression through the eyes of an eight year old boy. The wonderful friendship he has with Miss Sook and the lesson he learned from her. This is truly a treasure to read and savor for the Thanksgiving holiday. Sit back; put your feet up; and relax into the thoughts an ...more
DeAnn Stopper
Capote is one of my new favorite writers. I enjoy his writing. I can actually here his voice and southern drawl when reading. It is as though he is telling me the story in person. I am in a trance listening to him. If the Christmas carol is the book to read during December than this is the November book to read. There are so many lessons one can learn out of this story. I wish it was longer. I will continue to read more from Truman Capote. I am hooked.
Amanda Savig
We read this book in class last last Monday and Tuesday and when I picked it up my first impression was: "Huh, well this is gonna suck..."
Impression after we finished: "That was ADORABLE!!!" I really enjoyed it and thought the relationship between the two characters was perfect and reminded me of some friendships that I have with people in that age group. A good story for the holidays with well-founded morals. A sweet little read!!
T Crockett
Unlike Capot's A Christmas Memory, which has a mix of sadness and joy, this is a joyful holiday story, without going into the saccharine, Hallmark version of the holidays. Yes there is poverty and a true bully, but it works. The characters come to life and Capote's writing is gorgeous.

This is probably for 2nd grade and up
Terri
Capote crafts a spellbounding account of his childhood experiences in rural America. The book is full of everday details that include his beloved sweet cousin Sook and the hateful mean bully that makes Capote's life miserable.
So what happens when 30 relatives come for Thanksgiving Dinner and "the meanest human creature" is also invited?
Read and enjoy the experience of dinner at Capote's dinner table and learn his life's lesson.
Billerica Public ...: The Thanksgiving Visitor 1 5 Dec 10, 2012 06:10AM
  • In the Garden of Stone
  • The Thanksgiving Story
  • Kino
  •  Palm Sunday/Welcome to the Monkeyhouse
  • Truman Capote: In Which Various Friends, Enemies, Acquaintences and Detractors Recall His Turbulent Career
  • Miracle and Other Christmas Stories
  • Pumpkin Moonshine
  • Nathan Coulter
Truman Capote was an American writer whose non-fiction, stories, novels and plays are recognised literary classics, including the novella Breakfast at Tiffany's (1958) and In Cold Blood (1965), which he labeled a "non-fiction novel." At least 20 films and TV dramas have been produced from Capote novels, stories and screenplays.

He was born as Truman Streckfus Persons to a salesman Archulus Persons
More about Truman Capote...
In Cold Blood Breakfast at Tiffany's Other Voices, Other Rooms A Christmas Memory Music for Chameleons

“there is only one unpardonable sin--deliberate cruelty. All else can be forgiven.” 94 likes
“Now listen to me, Buddy: there is only one unpardonable sin - deliberate cruelty. All else can be forgiven. That, never.” 12 likes