Start by marking “The Thanksgiving Visitor” as Want to Read:
The Thanksgiving Visitor
Truman Capote

The Thanksgiving Visitor

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,033 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Illustrated in full color. Another masterpiece by the great American writer Truman Capote is brought to an audience of all ages. Buddy and his closest friend, his eccentric, elderly cousin, Miss Sook - the memorable characters from Capote's A Christmas Memory--love preparing their old country house for Thanksgiving. But there's trouble in the air. Odd Henderson, a scrawny, ...more
Published November 12th 1968 by Random House (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Thanksgiving Visitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thanksgiving Visitor

Truman Capote (Buddy) lived with a group of older cousins when he was seven years old. He was especially close to Miss Sook, a simple, innocent elderly cousin who radiated kindness and empathized with the less fortunate. When Miss Sook invites Buddy's impoverished schoolyard tormenter to Thanksgiving dinner, her act of compassion has an impact on both boys. Miss Sook was far from simple when it came to understanding the emotional needs of children.

This was a Moderator's Choice for the "On the So
Henry Martin
When I found this in the "children" section at a local library, I was not expecting much more than a read-aloud Thanksgiving story. What I got instead was a fine piece of literature.

Right off the start there is action. The story itself is rather simple (on the surface), but has some rather interesting aspects to it. Set against the background of the Great Depression, we get:

A dark theme
A vicious bully
A dysfunctional family
A simpleton
Thoughts of running away
Thoughts of suicide
Kipp Normand
I have an edition of this book from the 1970s that includes Capote's "A Christmas Memory" I read this every year during the holidays. Both stories are from Capote's childhood while he lived with distant relatives before being sent to military school. That may have been the only happy period in his life. This book makes me grateful at Thanksgiving and content at Christmas.
Chadijah Mastura
wow, this is a fast-reading book, yet could claw you down. well, i start to enjoy and understand capote, and i admire the character of Miss Sook, his cousin, an old-woman who was so pure and naive, isolated and awkward to other human, and yet so open and touched by the humanity itself in her own sweet way. youd learn how violence, humiliation and embarrassment could effect the goodness in you, yet if dealt in a clear and pure-hearted way, they could shape you up to be a better human with far-fet ...more
Cynthia Egbert
Truman Capote can WRITE! I love this story and the reminders it offers of what it really means to be a good person and how we need to work to walk that mile in another person's shoes. This should be a Thanksgiving classic for most families. It is shelved with the children's books but should be read as a family as the language is rich and it warrants discussion. A few nice quotes:

"No. I never have hated. We're allotted just so much time on earth, and I wouldn't want the Lord to see me wasting min
Review to follow by my 10 year old.
Clif Hostetler
This is a heart warming lesson on the virtues of loving your enemy and being kind to those who persecute you. It's an autobiographical story from the author's childhood which I presume is mostly true, subject to the usual limitations of any memoir. It is a long short story--or is it a short long story? I read it in one hour.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
A short little story based on Truman Capote's real life, with descriptions of Alabama Thanksgivings and a lesson about ... kindness? Forgiveness? All of the above.
Josh Stoll
While the story itself is somewhat simplistic, it works because it's dated and quaint enough to make it seem like a companion piece to A Christmas Story (the movie). It even has the same wry sense of humor. Capote writes in flourishes and punctuation, which can be a bit overwrought at times, but often comes off as charming and engaging.
Buddy (Truman Capote) has a family that overloads their thanksgiving feasts. He often detaches himself from the family, instead spending time with his onl
This autobiographical story takes place in the 1930's, a time when times were hard and people did without. Buddy (aka Capote) lives in Alabama with his elderly relatives including his aunt Miss Sook who is his closest friend of the time. However, he suffers at the hand of the local bully Odd Henderson. Miss Sook believes that kindness and understanding are the key to resolving differences and invites Odd to Thanksgiving dinner.

This was a cute story with a strong moral ending. It was a little lo
Cyndi McGinnes
This is a cute story with a lovely ending. Usually a 'classic story' is a classic for a reason. A good holiday story for young and old alike. I would recommend this story to any reading list for the holiday. Puts you in the holiday mood.
Kirk Smith
A beautifully written short story. A lesson about adversity seen through the eyes of an eight year old. Lots of warm descriptions of family and holiday fare. Sure to put you in a cozy mood! Oh, and Thanks! to Laura for mentioning this.
Mary Jo
This story stands the test of time. Even more relevant today as we live in a world of bullying.
Patti Tindal

I liked it so much I ordered a hardback copy of it plus A Christmas Memory
So I can remember for the next holiday season, since I always get Truman Capote and Dylan Thomas mixed up, the tape we always listen to is Capote's "Christmas Memory."

But I just paged through this one; what a great writer, and what a holiday great story. "she talked to herself often, a habit of sane persons of a solitary nature". And even better, "I don't say people should have everything they want. Though, come to think of it, I don't see what's wrong with that, either. Youu ought to have a bi
I just finished reading The Thanksgiving Visitor, a short story by Truman Capote and loved it. It takes talent to give characters depth and richness in such a short story but Capote certainly pulled it off in this story. Miss Sook is just a lovely, lovely character!! She is not a mother, but would be a great literary mentor for mothers. I'm going to purchase a copy to read every Thanksgiving!
Another poignant story from Truman Capote's childhood. This time his beloved older cousin Miss Sook extends compassionate understanding to Capote's enemy and school bully, Odd Henderson, in an act Capote struggles to understand - and which shakes both boys. As Odd remarks: You must be a special lady, Miss Sook, to fib for me like that. Very touching.
Stella Wenny
She wanted to know what I’d wished.
"That you’re still my friend.”
"Dumbhead,” she said, and hugged me.
“I won’t be here forever, Buddy. Nor will you.” Her voice sank like the sun on the pasture’s horizon, was silent a second and then climbed with the strength of a new sun. “But yes, forever. The Lord willing, you’ll be here long after I’ve gone. And as long as you remember me, then we’ll always be together.”
Rosa Cline
A classic story originally printed in 1967; the lesson learnt from it still holds 'true' today. A little boy and his aunt have a really close relationship. When she sees something in others that he doesn't see; it takes her kindness and love to turn his thinking around.
Karen Zelano
The Thanksgiving Visitor by Truman Capote is a wonderful nostalgic story set in 1932 South. Buddy, ( Truman Capote himself ) shares the story of the invitation his "friend" - his loner elderly aunt , shares with his nemesis bully at school. Buddy is mortified and hurt, and when the young 12 year old appears on Thanksgiving the misadventures begin. They all learn lessons and the reader is left feeling a sense of gratitude , yet a wish to return to the simpler , yet perhaps more difficult days of ...more
A true story from Truman Capote's childhood as relayed in a wonderful life lesson. Capote's elderly cousin and best friend invites his bully friend for Thanksgiving under his protest. Capote witnesses Odd's stealing of a broach and decides to call him out during dinner. His cousin is sent to see if the broach is gone and returns to the table stating the broach is still where it has always been. Odd then removes the broach from his pocket and thanks Miss Sook for lying for him and leaves the tabl ...more
Glad I discovered Capote and his sweet quirky childhood stories. This is one of those things I'm afraid we'll lose in society if families ever get factory processed by manufactured culture. Every family needs it idiosyncrasies, that's all there is to it. And we need the stories of our past family members, too, as much as we can get our hands on. 'Nuff said.
Nina Rapsodia
Jun 20, 2014 Nina Rapsodia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo
Recommended to Nina by: Nadie
Normalmente le sigo la pista a mis autores favoritos y poco a poco me voy leyendo toda su obra. Cuando descubrí a este autor por una lectura de la universidad, quedé prendada de él por los siglos de los siglos.

Hace algún tiempo reseñe Desayuno en Tiffanys, que aparte de la novela corta de la señorita Holly, contenía otras tres historias. Una de ellas "Un recuerdo navideño" fue de las que más me gustó. Nos daba a conocer a un personaje recurrente de las historias de la infancia de Truman con la f
Kathy Satterfield
This book, along with the Christmas Memory, are two that I can almost repeat by memory and that never fail to make me cry. The honesty of the writing is painfully beautiful haunting.
This snip of a book, published nearly 20 years after In Cold Blood, was one of the last pieces Capote completed. The book mirrors some his attraction to the Kansas killers. The exception is that here it is Miss Sook, who helped raise Capote, who finds care and concern for the dirt-poor bully who has been mercilessly tormenting Truman. She invites him to Thanksgiving, much to Capote's dismay. Capote faces the dinner-table spectacle of rightly accusing his bully of stealing, and having Miss Sook t ...more
Nov 21, 2008 Bonnie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Bonnie by: Little ol' me
"'There's just this I want to say, Buddy. Two wrongs never made a right. It was wrong of him to take the cameo. But we don't know why he took it. Maybe he never meant to keep it. Whatever his reason, it can't have been calculated. Which is why what you did was much worse: you planned to humiliate him. It was deliberate. Now listen to me, Buddy: there is only one unpardonable sin--deliberate cruelty. All else can be forgiven. That, never. Do you understand me, Buddy'

I did, dimly, and time has ta
Кремена Михайлова
"You must be a special lady, Miss Sook, to fib for me like that."
Elizabeth Chesnut
A quick read and a good reminder of kindness in unkind times.
A perfect story. Capote's genius shines in this little gem.
Beautifully written story of friendship in a time past.
Billerica Public ...: The Thanksgiving Visitor 1 5 Dec 10, 2012 06:10AM
  • The Tall Woman
  • Lightning Bug
  • The Faerie Queene, Book Two
  • The California Roll
  • Truman Capote: In Which Various Friends, Enemies, Acquaintences and Detractors Recall His Turbulent Career
  • Ms. Taken Identity
  • Dear James
  • Capote
  • The Dangerous Husband: A Novel
  • Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving
  • Elizabeth Barrett Browning: A Biography
Truman Capote was an American writer whose non-fiction, stories, novels and plays are recognised literary classics, including the novella Breakfast at Tiffany's (1958) and In Cold Blood (1965), which he labeled a "non-fiction novel." At least 20 films and TV dramas have been produced from Capote novels, stories and screenplays.

He was born as Truman Streckfus Persons to a salesman Archulus Persons
More about Truman Capote...

“there is only one unpardonable sin--deliberate cruelty. All else can be forgiven.” 95 likes
“Now listen to me, Buddy: there is only one unpardonable sin - deliberate cruelty. All else can be forgiven. That, never.” 14 likes