Start by marking “Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It” as Want to Read:
Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It

Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Iodine is the most misunderstood nutrient. After 17 years of practicing medicine, I can say that it is impossible to achieve your optimal health if you do not have adequate iodine levels. I have yet to see any item that is more important to promoting health or optimizing the function of the immune system than iodine. Learn what forms of iodine you need and why there is not ...more
Unknown Binding, 237 pages
Published December 31st 2008 by Not Avail (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Iodine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iodine

Michael Hentrich
This is the first book I've read that just focuses on Iodine, so I don't know how it compares to others that might be out there. This book is a really great resource for gaining a basic and moderate understanding about iodine and the way it affects the body.

The author, David Brownstein M.D., has worked extensively with thyroid illness throughout his career. From his experience, he details how important it is for people to have a healthy functioning thyroid, because it can affect so many critical
Carol
Another
Fascinating
Read. Very informative. Need to ask more questions on this.
Jodi
The message of this book is so important, particularly for anyone suffering with a serious illness. The book goes into a lot of detail but all you really need to know is that:

1. Iodine is very important in the body and is essential for health.

2. Many of us are low in iodine, and the small amounts in multivitamins or iodised salt are not nearly enough.

4. If you have a serious illness, GET AN IODINE TEST! It's an easy urine test that can be done at home, and costs around $100

3. Despite some scarem
Evan
This is great information ... not well written but if you can get past that and the fact that it probably could have all been said in half the number of pages if you took out the repeats, then I'd say it's worth the time. My practitioner just recommended I start supplementing with iodine and I wanted to have a better understanding of the element. I was led to believe that Brownstein is one of the top authorities.
Guillaume Belanger
Crucially important information. Excruciatingly poor writing style and presentation.
Red
We Are in A STATE of EMERGENCY here and don't even realize it...this is a MUST read...it is a double spaced very easy fluid read that will give you enough information to make a dramatic change in your life....Don't believe me...go to Amazon and google his recommended supplement, Iodoral and read the couple hundred reviews from folks. For years now my body temp was well below normal...after one day it went to normal! It's been a month now and wow...an absolute miracle in a bottle. You need to arm ...more
C.A. Gray
Really interesting... I'm on the fence on the conclusions, but some fascinating studies and conclusions I'd never thought of. I'm researching more.
Velvetink
Apr 11, 2015 Velvetink marked it as to-read
Shelves: medical
kindle
Marika Charalambous
A real eye opener. No wonder all sorts of illnesses increased the last few decades, including cancers, thyroid problems and so on. Iodine is so important, but of course since it's so cheap and can't be trademarked, which means the big pharma companies can't make money from it. So of course, it's easier to give us different pills for every symptom that we have instead of helping the body cure itself with something as simple and as ancient as...iodine.
Juline
i cannot recommend this book highly enough!!!! I started on this quest with natural thyroid medication over a month ago, and because I had heard about the iodine connection, got mine tested. it came back ZERO!!! I started iodine replacement 3 days ago and keep wanting to pinch myself to ,ale sure thus is real. making HUGE changes in my health!!!!!! everyone interested I health and nutrition should read this.
Jacquie
This book was recommended to me by one of my sisters as we have a history of thyroid disease in our family. I found it very informative and never realized what an important role iodine has in regulating our thyroid as well as in preventing certain cancers. I have started taking iodine supplements (with first consulting my physician and getting her approval) and am feeling great.
Sydney Walker
Finding more answers from Dr. Brownstein than I have been able to by going to typical medical doctors who give us a pill so we will be on our way. Iodine, simple, remarkable on what it can do for us. I finally feel like I have answers to problems I have had for awhile, fatigue, brain fog, aches and pains. Thank you Dr. Brownstein for pointing me in the right direction!
Joan
Being hypothyroid, I've read lots of books on the subject. This author is one of the few who clearly, and in plain English, explains the function and process of T4 and T3 in the body. The read is a bit repetitive at times but this just reinforced my learning. Great work, Dr. Brownstein. I feel like I'm living again and enjoying life again thanks to you and your research!
Kristin
Great book! It was very informative and readily accessible to those of us normal folks who don't understand complicated medical terminology. I learned so much. And love the holistic approach to healing that includes Iodine. I can't wait to work with my doctor!

Yes, it is definitely a bit repetitive.
Lisa Cintron
This book was the answer to the brain fog, fatigue and yucky feeling I had for years. It really changed my life.
I highly recommend it to anyone who is experiencing any kind of chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, thyroid conditions or any dis-ease that is considered progressive and incurable.
Andrew
Great information, but feels like it was put together from a series of articles, otherwise I would have given 5 stars. This has literally changed my life. Those interested should also check the Yahoo Group on Iodine for further information.
Lisa
Another fascinating read. Would like to be tested just to see... Learned about the importance of iodine and it's effectiveness in combating fatigue, thyroid conditions, and other symptoms. Learned a lot!
Bree
Very informative/educational and very easy to read. Dr. Brownstein is worth following. He is an MD that realizes the importance of figuring out and treating the cause of disease and not just the symptoms.
Carol
Very interesting, I was not even sure what iodine did for our bodies before reading the book. Now I realize how important it is for thyroid function and will be sure to get enough in a supplement.
Monica
Many people have followed Dr Brownstein's protocol with success to balance their thyroid hormones and regain their health. Every should read this.
Isabel
Have been taking iodine for a couple of years now and feeling more much more energetic!
Janine
Important information for anyone wanting to stay healthy in an unhealthy world. :)
Joe
he's a lil' redundant, but wow does he drill it home.
Linnea
Very interesting and very helpful.
GT
Fascinating. Must read! :)
Mais
Mais is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2015
Theresa Schlosser
Theresa Schlosser marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Feeling Fat, Fuzzy or Frazzled?: A 3-Step Program to: Beat Hormone Havoc, Restore Thyroid, Adrenal, and Reproductive Balance, and Feel Better Fast!
  • Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?
  • Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills
  • The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated)
  • Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
  • Living Well with Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You... That You Need to Know
  • The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food
  • Food and Healing
  • Herbal Antibiotics: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug Resistant Bacteria (Storey Medicinal Herb Guide)
  • Perfect Health Diet: Regain Health and Lose Weight by Eating the Way You Were Meant to Eat
  • Traditional Foods Are Your Best Medicine: Improving Health and Longevity with Native Nutrition
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • Stop the Thyroid Madness: A Patient Revolution Against Decades of Inferior Treatment
  • Dangerous Grains
  • Tired of Trying to Measure Up
  • Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Families in Crisis
  • Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill
  • Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects
Overcoming Thyroid Disorders: A Holistic Approach to Treating Thyroid Disorders Including Hypothyroidism, Graves' Disease and Hashimoto's Disease: See How a Natural Treatment Program Can Reverse Many Chronic Disorders Including Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fa... Salt: Your Way to Health The Iodine Crisis: What You Don't Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life The Guide to Healthy Eating Drugs That Don't Work and Natural Therapies That Do