Start by marking “Animals Marco Polo Saw: An Adventure on the Silk Road (Explorers Series)” as Want to Read:
Animals Marco Polo Saw: An Adventure on the Silk Road (Explorers Series)

Animals Marco Polo Saw: An Adventure on the Silk Road (Explorers Series)

A continuation of the Explorers series by award-winning author Sandra Markle, Animals Marco Polo Saw brings to life the amazing, exotic animals Marco Polo encountered during his explorations in Asia, how the animals sometimes affected the outcome of the journey, and even helped the explorer survive!
Published April 1st 2009 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Animals Marco Polo Saw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animals Marco Polo Saw

Miriam
Sep 15, 2016 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, travel
This was nicely illustrated and clearly written (albeit with a lot of "maybe" and "could have"). I can't say I found it very enthralling; it definitely had that written-for-educational-use quality. But nice enough as that sort of book goes. It could be good for homeschooling as there are many related projects that could be adapted for different age levels: looking at maps, reading more about the animals, researching Polo's experiences in greater depth, looking up what the areas he saw are like t ...more
Lisa Vegan
May 03, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those interested in history, animals, geography, exploration, cultures
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
I think I have three other similar books on their way to me, but this is the first book in the Explorer series I’ve read. I’m so impressed with the children’s non-fiction picture books now available, this being one.

This is a superb book about Marco Polo’s travels, written & illustrated for elementary school aged children. It’s a wonderful way to learn this history.

It’s a short chapter book, and the chapters do have titles. There are 15 chapters, a glossary, a For More Information section (b
Mrs. Hassig
Jan 23, 2016 Mrs. Hassig rated it really liked it
Now that I'm reading everything on Marco Polo I couldn't resist this one about the animals he saw on his journey. Demi's book talks about sheep in Afghanistan with tails that weighed 30 pounds! Can you imagine! You definitely want to read this one in conjunction with Demi's gold-leafed version!
Shannon
Mar 18, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: asia, biography, geography
Inside Cover:
In 1271, the great explorer Marco Polo set off on an adventure f a lifetime -- traveling the Silk Road by horseback with his father and uncle, from Italy to Cathay (modern-day China) and beyond, to learn about the family's silk cloth business and to meet the great emperor of China -- Kublai Khan. As he traveled through Eastern Europe, the Middle East, across Mt. Ararat, and into the Far East, Marco Polo was amazed by the people he met, by how different the landscape looked, and by
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Aug 02, 2011 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg, non-fiction
I picked this up because I like Daniela Jaglenka Terrazzini's artwork. And I really liked the artwork. But this is also a nice early middle grade/middle grade non-fiction book on Marco Polo and some of his travels. Enjoyed this one a lot.
Jean-Marie
Apr 05, 2016 Jean-Marie rated it really liked it
We read this picture book to complement our Middle Ages history lesson about explorers.
Theresa Squire
Theresa Squire marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Pashi
Pashi marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Lady
Lady rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Sofia
Sofia rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Tana
Tana rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2014
T.C.
T.C. marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Jessica Robinson
Jessica Robinson marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Manybooks
Manybooks marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Chris Swinko
Chris Swinko rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2013
Ignatius Oelgoetz
Ignatius Oelgoetz rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2013
Hadley
Hadley rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Sarah rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2012
Declan
Declan rated it it was amazing
Ian
Ian rated it it was amazing
Gage
Gage rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2012
Sandra Markle is the author of more than two hundred children's books, which have won numerous awards, including Boston Globe-Horn Book Honor Book, IRA/CBC Children's Choice, NSTA/CBC Outstanding Trade Books for Children, NCTE Orbis Pictus Recommended, and ALA Notable Books for Children. She lives in Lakewood Ranch, Florida and frequently travels to schools sharing her program "Sandra Markle's Boo ...more
More about Sandra Markle...