Start by marking “Giants of the Frost” as Want to Read:
Giants of the Frost

Giants of the Frost (Europa #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  661 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Taking a job on an isolated island in the Sea of Norway, scientist Victoria Scott wants a quiet place to finish her doctoral thesis. But Victoria isn't prepared for the strange shadows outside her cabin window, the rumors of a murderous hag who sucks one's soul during sleep, and the tales of mythic monsters lurking in the forest. More frightening than the islands nightmari ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Giants of the Frost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giants of the Frost

The Prose Edda by Snorri SturlusonRunemarks by Joanne HarrisThe Poetic Edda by AnonymousEaters of the Dead by Michael CrichtonThe Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland
Norse Mythology
25th out of 148 books — 264 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best Fantasy Books
174th out of 936 books — 1,145 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Giants of the Frost turned out to be a slow read, but it was a very good book. I think that the use of Norse mythology was well done. I appreciate how Ms. Wilkins took Norse mythology and folklore and created something novel with these elements as a basis.

Although it took me a while to get sucked into the romantic aspects, admittedly a big part of this book, I enjoyed reading about the characters: Victoria, Vidar, Aud, and Loki, whose fates are entwined rather deeply. I also appreciated the seco
Echo
Of the books I've read so far this year, this is one of my favorites. The characters were amazing, the story was so intriguing I didn't want to put it down, and the writing was absolutely beautiful. I would definitely recommend this book to my friends who enjoy fantasy novels.
Jessi
Dec 28, 2009 Jessi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jessi by: Jeni
Kim Wilkins is one of my new favorite authors. My sister recommended her books years ago and I didn't get around to reading them until now.

I enjoyed Giants of the Frost even more than The Autumn Castle because the main characters were smarter and thus more likable. Wilkins is very good at giving all of her characters depth. The plot moved along at an excellent pace. I loved the ties to Norse mythology. There were many interesting creatures, places, people, and items in this one because a good po
Elizabeth Mueller
I really loved this book. Kim is so good at creating a world and making it real. I cried. I laughed. I vouched for my favorite characters. This book left me feeling good.

This is my second time I've read it.
Savannah
The prose is lifeless, even when the protagonists claim to be overwrought. Much talking about emotions; not so much conveying them to the reader. Too much plot tension; not enough plot. Yawn.

Really, the only reason my eyes were exposed to all of the pages was flip*flip*flip.

For someone who likes the tedious genre of folktale-inspired leaden re-enactment, this will be just fine. And while it's a romance, the sex is inexplicit enough to feel okay handing the book over to any but the most sheltere
Lis
I'm not hugely interested in Norse mythology, but the premise of this book seemed too good to pass up. A lonely, isolated island, populated only by a scant handful of weather researchers, and haunted by the old hag who comes in our nightmares to sit on our chests and suck our breath...oh yeah, I can forgive a few Norse gods for a plot like this! And none of it disappointed; this was a solidly fascinating and unusual love story, full of legend and pathos.
Sheri
I had to pull myself through parts of this book but ultimately when I completed it I was very satisfied with the story. Kim wraps up all the loose ends nicely and she had a bit in the book with Loki, my favorite Norse God. I borrowed this book from a friend and wound up buying a copy for myself. It has a lot of detail and characters but I managed to not get too lost.
Jean Tatro
I was first drawn to this book by it's once-in-a-blue-moon beautiful cover and the promise of Norse mythology, for which I have a soft spot.

The story of lost, unrequited, and reincarnated love didn't grab me in the slightest, in fact their sappy dialog inspired such gut-reaction level snark, but I still devoured this book and loved ever minute of it. I think it is partly the intrigue, mystery, and ever present threat of discovery built up around the core story; partly the rich and detailed world
Jo
Dec 29, 2012 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
This is as much a romance as a thriller or a mystery. I loved every moment of it, and fell in love with Vidar in a way I wouldn't have throught possible.

I loved the intertwined threads of plots and fates, the cuts between Asgard and Earth, and the stories of passion gone in unforeseen directions.

As I was reading, I found myself growing every more concerned about the ending. It seemed impossible that the story could end happily, but I was concerned that a tragic ending would make me feel that th
Esteé Hallatt
Victoria's on an island, far away from home in order to get away from her ordinary life and its past romantic disappointments...but it soon takes a mythical - and often dark, turn not long after her start at a new job.

One of my uncles recommended the book to me a few years ago after we saw the movie Thor together. I was hesitant to read it at first, because I liked the movie, but I'm definitely not its number one fan. Now I'm so glad I finally read it. I loved this book!

P.S. I get that I was sup
Sonia
I wasn't completely won over until about halfway into this novel, but once the action began, I was hooked. Although the writing was strong, I felt especially drawn to the characters. Wilkins was able to ascribe to each character a distinct and unique personality. There was also a noticeable change in language between the Asgard and Midgard scenes, like stepping from the past into the future.

Although the novel is mostly serious and slightly dark, Wilkins was also able to infuse many of the scenes
Tallulah Johnston
I just want to say that i loved this book. I absolutely loved it. i stayed up in one night to read it and didnt go to school the next day. It was amazingly well written and the whole time im sitting there going ohshitohshitohshitohshit. And then............ I HATED THE ENDING. so much so i threw the book at my damned wall. WHat The heLL I COUldnt believe it but as i said i loved the book so i didnt let it ruin it for me.
Anna
Jill Myles
I really, really wanted to like this so much more than I did. It read as more of an introspective sort of contemporary fantasy, and I was really hoping for...I'm not sure what. More romance? More mythology? At any rate, it wasn't the book I was looking for. It was, however, extremely well written and entertaining, so I hold to the fact that it was me more than this book.
Beitris_
I was looking for this kind of book for so long, I couldn't help but love it!
This love story isn't an usual love story, it's a real intriguing adventure! It gave me many feelings!!

I found her style simple and fluid. Although, the story seems slow, actually it has a fast pace. It doesn't waste time talking, it get the point.
Wilkins was good at combine Norse mythology elements with modern ones.

I loved all characters, in particular Aud and Loki. (view spoiler)
Karen
I really enjoyed The Autumn Castle and this book was even better. I loved all of the Norse mythology, but even more so the characters and the story line were compelling and made me want to keep reading and really care about what happened to all of the characters. This is a really good book!
Susan Olds
I admit I picked up this book purely for entertainment and the winter theme. But I was engrossed right away. The author delves into Norse mythology, reincarnation, love and loss and redemption. Although dubbed a romance, it is more aptly called a fantasy-sci fi.
Christy
This is a really good story, you have to believe in the Norse Gods a little bit, but it's a love story that mixes today's world with the world of the Norse Gods. It sounds lame but it is not at all. I recommend this book to anyone.
Miss
Jul 30, 2011 Miss rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Miss by: Drawdet Terv Terv
I enjoyed this story and liked the mixture of the Ancient Norse mixed in with the present day. But thought the ending wasn't so good. Victoria's fate and where she ended up didnt make any sense to the rest of the book
Margie
The book seemed promising in a romance-mixed-with-mythology kind of way. However, the main character was difficult to relate to, because she's whiny and bratty and has odd compulsive disorders, sleep disorders, and a "skepticism" about everything that is supposed to explain her neuroticism. You cheer for her demi-god eternal love, because he deserves to be rewarded for waiting for her soul to reincarnate and for all of his sacrifices and challenges that he overcomes. Yet, you reach the end of th ...more
Kelly
LOVED it!!!!!!Really enjoyed this book. Still thinking about the characters.... Recently wanted to read a book that was just a book, not the part of a trilogy, so is it wrong to wish this was a trilogy:)
Michele Wilson
Wonderful novel! Steeped in Norse mythology. Very long, and while it doesn't end like you might "want," the end is still fitting and perfect. I loved it so much that I am reading it again.
DenaliViewer-2003
In many ways, this is what you would expect from a fantasy book. However, the story was compelling and the writing was beautiful! What a love story and what exquisite descriptions... of everything!

Based in part on Old Norse myth—which was very cool—and set in a modern time (old and new blend nicely), it kept me on the edge of my seat and nearly shivering with worry.

It definitely fit the 'scary book' option on the Winter Reading Challenge bingo card, which was surprising, because I am rarely able
Athos
Maybe a 2.5 if that rating were available. I loved the premise of this story - a weather station in the Norwegian Sea, a skeptical, insomniac woman who seems all self sufficient and aloof but remarkably social when drunk. :P The all-consuming romance I thought was a bit thin... alas. The main character remarks at one point that maybe when they got to know each other better they wouldn't like each other at all - no, impossible, says he, I would love you forever!(well) I think I definitely prefer ...more
Vanessa Hutchinson
While I enjoyed this book and felt that it was neatly written with good pacing I give it only two stars. At a point the characters became flat and I started to feel it had become formulaic. Vidar becomes the recognisable male protagonist you find in romances who has to be with the female protagonist at all costs. The cost seems to be their inner life. Some of the minor characters, such as Skripi, are just great.
All the correct plot devices are in place to carry the story and drive it along at a
Buffy
Memories streamed through him: blood and fire and the helpless shrieks of mortal suffering. "There is no love, Vidar," his father had said. "There is only fate."

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful book! So far, I've only read two books that are based on or have Norse mythology incorporated into them and I've adored them both. The thing that has always intrigued me about any type of mythology is that not everyone gets a happy ending. I'd like to take a moment to say that I'm not against happy endings
There's something eerie about Kim Wilkins' writing.

I've had this book for a couple of years. I bought it and The Autumn Castle at the same time.

I think I'd have enjoyed the book more if I'd known or remembered more of my Norse mythology. Let's face it. None of the other mythos get the attention the Greek and Romans receive.

One of the problems is that the Norse gods, as introduced in Giants of the Frost, are not alluring enough to make me want to study them any further. I think that's one of the
Melanti
I'm not sure why but it always seems to take me longer than normal to finish one of Kim Wilkins' books. But they've been worth it so far - though I do tend to put them off constantly for that reason.

This particular book had a bit more romance to it than I generally would like, but I enjoyed it regardless.

(view spoiler)
Emma Reeves
I can't enter a start date as I've read this book three times. I think this book is fantastic, I become so immersed in the setting, it also started my love for Norse mythology. If you're unsure to try this book, do so, you will not regret it.
Kim Wilkins is a wonderful author - she is on my automatic book buy list.
Kelly
I do like Kim Wilkins as a writer. She knows exactly how to get you on the edge of your seat about a character and then mercilessly wring your heart out! Fear, suspense, excitement, romance, it's all here and makes me wish I could pack up for a nice quiet island tomorrow! Definitely one of my favourite books.
  • Loki: Nine Naughty Tales of the Trickster
  • Norse Code
  • Ice Land
  • Wolfsangel
  • Runelight (Runemarks, #2)
  • Hundreds of Years to Reform a Rake
  • Loki: Why I Began the End
  • The Edinburgh Dead
  • Come Fall
  • Huset i Eldafjord (Sagaen om Isfolket, #26)
  • Spirited Away
  • The Wolf and the Raven (Wodan's Children #1)
  • Surrendering All But Her Heart
  • Rhinegold
  • Never Knew Another (Dogsland, #1)
  • The Three Sisters
  • World's End  (Age of Misrule #1)
  • Legends of Australian Fantasy

Europa (2 books)
  • The Veil of Gold
The Autumn Castle The Veil of Gold Resurrectionists Unclaimed Heart Grimoire

“I have loved ... and love infuses everything else, infuses confusion and the blankness and the fear of emptiness, and brings to it a glimmer of meaning. Enough meaning to move forward, to keep moving...” 5 likes
“I’ve no intention of sitting by the fire on such a beautiful day,” Loki sad.
“Then let us walk in the woods.”
“Walk? Wouldn’t you rather ride with me?” “I couldn’t keep up.” “No,” he said, grasping her elbow gently. “With me. On Heror.” He whistled loudly and Heror turned and walked toward them.

A shiver of fear frosted her skin. She was uncomfortable on horseback - preferred her feet on the ground-let alone a fast powerful beast like Heror with Loki at the reins. “I’m not sure…”
“Didn’t you say you would keep me company? Come.”
“Must we go very fast?”
Loki laughed his wild laugh. “Of course we must!”
With swift grace, he mounted Heror, then put down his hand for her. “Come, Aud. Don’t be frightened. You may trust me.”
Trust Loki? Aud almost laughed. She wondered if Vidar would appreciate her actions when she told him this evening. “Very well,’ she said. She tied her skirts around her hips and, reaching up, allowed Loki to help her onto Heror’s back.
“Hold on tight,” Loki said, slapping her thigh playfully. Aud needed no prompting. She locked her arms about his waist, her hands tight over his hollow stomach. No warmth emanated from his body. His black hair caught against her cheek and lip. She screwed her eyes tightly closed.
Heror need little encouragement from Loki. Almost as soon as they were settled, he sped off like lightning. Aud cracked open one eye to see where they were going, but hurriedly closed it when the branches of the wood loomed close enough to terrify her and the shadows between the trees flew past like wild ghosts. She tightened her grip on Loki’s ribs wishing they were not so narrow and cool. From time to time, she could feel his body shake with mad laughter. Their journey, while it probably only lasted twenty minutes, seemed interminable as she willed him and willed him to slow down. Finally she felt Loki pull on Heror’s reins. The horse slowed to a walk, and she ventured to open her eyes.
They had left the woods and were entering a sunlit field of waving grass, daisies and orange hawkweed. Heror stopped, they dismounted and Loki sent the horse off to cool down. Aud’s legs were shaking too much to stand so she sank into the grass, feeling the warm sunshine fill her hair.
Loki sat next to her and began idly to pick daisies. “Did you enjoy our ride, Aud?”
“No,” she answered, taking a deep breath and stilling her trembling hands.
“I’ll try harder on the way home,” He said reaching over to twine a daisy in her hair.”
2 likes