Start by marking “Fallen Angel” as Want to Read:
Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

Set against the twin backdrops of the modern urban ritual magic scene and the bustle and colour of Restoration London, this is a tale of angels and devils, art and lies, and sibling rivalry at its most irretrievably complicated.
Published August 8th 2002 by Orion (Gollancz) (first published September 26th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Fallen Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fallen Angel

Sam
Jul 24, 2011 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without a doubt my favourite book to date. I couldn't put it down and the way I was so passionate about telling everybody about it, I started to wonder if maybe the wanderer had gotten to me too. I have been a fan of Kim Wilkins since I read the Infernal many years ago (which I loved also), but this book, I couldn't put down at all. And it haunted me for a long time after reading. This book goes between current time and previous happenings. And as always with Kims writing, she manages to make yo ...more
Jan 04, 2012 Jill Smith marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Title: Angel of Ruin (Fallen Angel)
Author: Kim Wilkins
Publisher: Harper Collins

This is a dark tale skillfully woven by this master of Gothic Horror. It starts with a simple premise Sophie Black is a journalist looking for something to write about on her return to London to get in some quick cash. She is broke and needs to pay the rent, recently broke up with her boyfriend, and feeling fragile.

Lavender Brooke
Aug 24, 2013 Lavender Brooke rated it really liked it
I Loved this book. It is creepy, atmospheric and truly original. The story is a story within a story: a young woman is being compelled by a sinister story-teller to hear the story of the daughters of John Milton who were enthralled by a fallen angel. The angel was a present from their dead mother who at first seems like a wonderful gift for the girls but soon tears them apart.

The characters are flawed and selfish, while also understable and sympathetic which of course makes them far more interes
Kim Falconer
Jan 04, 2012 Kim Falconer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kim Wilkins is a brilliant author and this book in particular touched my soul. Its moody and sensual and harsh and also vulnerable, as are the three young women who step into a world of angels and demons with the naivety of children. The story weaves around a contemporary journalist with not enough luck and a bit too much curiosity. As stories are told withing stories, the origins of one of the most famous poems ever written, John Milton's Paradise Lost, is re-visioned. What a fabulous book!

Kim
Cheryl
Oct 26, 2007 Cheryl rated it it was ok
The Australian title (title of the copy I read) is "Angel of Ruin", note the author also appears to be Australian.

This kind of fantasy horror is not really my cup of tea... but it was an okay read, a little predictable.
Lee Vickers
Sep 24, 2007 Lee Vickers rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: mymostfavourite
Another brilliant book by the wonderful Kim Wilkins, whilst straying from horror into fantasy, the twist on the writing of Paradise Lost is amazing. The final twist at the end is awesome.
Stephen Lord
Jul 09, 2013 Stephen Lord rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book I would like to be buried with. The perfect marriage of history and fantasy, and a shining example of its author's many talents.
Jan 04, 2012 Jill Smith rated it really liked it
Title: Angel of Ruin (Fallen Angel)
Author: Kim Wilkins
Publisher: Harper Collins

Aug 22, 2015 Jill Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a dark tale skillfully woven by this master of Gothic Horror. It starts with a simple premise Sophie Black is a journalist looking for something to write about, on her return to London, to get in some quick cash. She is broke and needs to pay the rent, recently broke up with her boyfriend, and feeling fragile.

Sophie decides to write a piece on the Occult cults in London. She manages to get herself invited to a meeting with a group called the Lodge. Thoroughly skeptical, she partakes in
Mo
Aug 21, 2008 Mo rated it liked it
I had been looking for this book for ages. Tried ordering it from Amazon, but they had somehow eaten all their copies or something, so they couldn't ship it. Tried ordering it from other sites and the same thing happened. I found it on holiday and immediately started reading it. Because I had such high expectations of it, it didn't quite live up to it, but part of that had to do with the fact that it was a bit too long and dense to be a really good book to read whilst on holiday. Still, it was a ...more
Amy Norris
Jan 17, 2017 Amy Norris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first picked up this book because I had recently read Frost Giants by Kim Wilkins and adored both the story and her writing. However my first thought was 'What a terrible cover!'. It looks seriously unprofessional and tacky. Normally I may have put it down without a further look (despite knowing not to judge a book by its cover I can't help but relate it to the quality of the publishing house/author and their work) but I knew Kim Wilkins was a great writer so I gave it a go.

I was not disappoin
Sarah Rodgers
Sep 13, 2009 Sarah Rodgers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exciting and historical look at the wican way of life including curses that pass thorough the ages and haunt you from the past, present and future, It starts out quite slow however if you stick with it you will not be sorry. More that once I put this book down only to pick it up again wondering what I was missing. Similar to the Infernal it passes through the ages from generation to generation through a curse that only super naturals are really open to. Kind of spooky in an odd way but defini ...more
Kait
Feb 12, 2010 Kait rated it it was amazing
I definitely enjoyed this book. I felt like the end was a little bit of a cop-out (I would have preferred the resolution to have been a bit more difficult for Sophie), but over all it was very good.

It wasn't as frightening as some of her other books have been, although it was certainly creepy, and there were some scenes that definitely wouldn't sit well with some readers. But I didn't need to sleep with the lights on, or just remind myself that it was a story.

Overall a very enthralling book.
Embla
Sep 03, 2016 Embla rated it it was amazing
Another rather amazing book by Australian fiction writer Kim Wilkins. The story is interesting and captivating, the prose fluent and each character is very well outlined. Only a couple of small (yet outstanding) mistakes towards the end slow the pace of the story but all in all the whole book is extremely enjoyable. It could've maybe been a few pages shorter, still, who's scared of a lengthy tome?!
Ceane
Jan 18, 2008 Ceane rated it liked it
I read the Australian titled version of this book "Angel of Ruin". I like Kim Wilkins because she always puts a interesting twist on history (and she's Aussie!). This book was pretty predictable if you thought about it but it was still reasonably interesting and the "twists" where suprising enough if you didn't think about it to much. I'd reccomend it to anyone who wants a light horror novel as its not very scary but still packs a subtle punch.
Amy
Sep 24, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok
I was excited to read this novel, the blurb really drew me in and I was looking forward to reading something different. Unfortunately I couldn't get into it, I was falling asleep each time I tried to read it. The relationship between Lazodeus and the sisters was just a little bit too creepy for me. However, I did enjoy the ending with Sophie. I'm sure many people would love this, but it just wasn't for me.
ruthy
Dec 16, 2012 ruthy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kkchfkjhdsgjc,dsgzsdkuhf,Juarez,kudhffk,uhsdf,muggy,dad this book was wonderful! The ending was absolutely magnificent in every sense of the word, though it may have been a bit rushed.
I just absolutely adored how you couldn't tell whether lazodeus was good or bad up until the last second.
Loved it.
Daniela Galati
Mar 18, 2014 Daniela Galati rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Needless to say it was extremely engaging. Could not and did not want to put it down. If I could have eaten this book I would have. Absolutely love this author, in fact she is my favourite, writing as both Kim Wilkins and Kimberly Freeman.
Katia Barbier-Puente
Sep 06, 2015 Katia Barbier-Puente rated it it was amazing
A haunting book you just cannot put down : original and just the exact amount of scary ! I loved it !
Michelle
Jan 12, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I bought this book on a whim in an op-shop, and once I started reading it, couldn't put it down! I will certainly be looking for more books by this author.
Cam
Cam rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2008
Meagan
Meagan rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2009
Amber Goedhart
Amber Goedhart rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Joey Van
Joey Van rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Kerri
Kerri rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2014
Nicole Paul
Nicole Paul rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
Michelle Cameron
Michelle Cameron rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2014
Haymanjosie
Haymanjosie rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2014
Lorelei
Lorelei rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2009
  • Madigan Mine
  • The Business of Death (Death Works Trilogy, #1-3)
  • The Blood Countess (Pandora English, #1)
  • Sharp Shooter (Tara Sharp, #1)
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • Cherry Kisses (Shadowfae)
  • Vigil
  • Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1)
  • The Devil's Diadem
  • Chill (Jacob's Ladder, #2)
  • Foxmask (The Light Isles, #2)
  • Destiny of the Light (Shadow Through Time, #1)
  • Calenture
  • The Invisible Road  (The Dreamhunter Duet, #1-2)
  • Drowning in You
  • Den of Wolves (Empress of Rome #1)
  • Omnibus: Postmortem / All That Remains (Kay Scarpetta, #1, #3)
  • Ghost Orchid