Start by marking “The Perfect Liar (The Last Stand, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Liar (The Last Stand, #5)

The Perfect Liar (The Last Stand #5)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  837 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Obsession leads to lies...

When air force captain Luke Trussell opens his door one Sunday morning, he's shocked to find the police -- and even more shocked when they charge him with rape. He knows he made a mistake in judgment the night before, but he certainly didn't force his attentions on the woman who's been stalking him for months.

Problem is, Karina Harter has the brui

Published September 1st 2009 by Mira (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Liar

Leslie
REREAD :)

If you're looking for a good thrill don't miss this one. It has a crazy stalker chick and she is absolutely cray cray. I really enjoyed this one. :)
willaful
Novak writes a good creepy story, but I keep feeling like she doesn't think things through enough. This was almost a wallbanger for me, because I was so infuriated by the hero: the dude is falsely accused of rape, yet persists in acting in an utterly sleezy, potentially threatening manner to the heroine Ava, who is representing the supposed rape victim. Ava, being Too Stupid To Live, doesn't seem to notice how scary he is and even tells him where she lives before she can be entirely sure he's in ...more
Susan W
WARNING

Serious.....CRAZY BITCH in this story.....But, daaaaamn enjoyable to read!

Take Demi Moore from Disclosure and Glenn Close from Fatal Attraction and wham, you got the crazy bitch Kalyna from The Perfect Liar

The poor guy got some bad news then went to bar and ended up hooking up with the wrong girl ......the very wrong girl. She is obsessed with him, she stalks him. She thinks this will make him love her. She says he raped her. He WILL fall in love with me, he just needs time.

OMG.....I
Pat Cromwell
Sep 03, 2009 Pat Cromwell rated it really liked it
She did it again. I am so loving Brenda Novak!!! I didn't think it possible she could create a more despicable villain then Collin who appeared in THe Perfect Neigbor (see my review), but she did. BIG TIME! And she did an amazing job with Luke and Ava, the two poor smucks at the mercy of the deranged Kalyna aka The Perfect liar.

My God she - Kalyna - is so twisted, so sick, so...unnatural. She is scary on so many levels! If you like a book with tunnel vision i.e. so damn good you can't turn away
MuchAdo
Dec 28, 2014 MuchAdo rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, tstl-hero
Anne Holly
Feb 08, 2015 Anne Holly rated it it was ok
I have no idea how to rate this, since I have major issues with the subject matter - false rape allegations are already pretty legendary in the popular imagination, so it's problematic to make entertainment out of one. Nevertheless, once I got over the squick factor, I found this a danged compelling read for the most part, despite myself.

It works much better as a thriller than a romance, because yuck - even if you have reason to believe the guy is innocent, why would you jump him while the alleg
Lhenry
Jun 05, 2012 Lhenry rated it liked it
I haven't read the others in this series, but it stood alone quite well. I almost always like reversals in the usual woman is stalked or in danger some how, so I suspected I would like this one, and I did, but I was a little disappointed that it wound up being a woman in danger at the end. Nevertheless, it was a good story. Had a few surprises for me, which was a plus. The hero was rather passive which lost a few points, but all in all a good read
Marianchu
Lo lamento pero aunque el argumento prometía bastante no ha llegado a calarme ni el desarrollo de la historia ni los personajes, aún así ha resultado una lectura entretenida, pero no a la altura de lo que me tiene acostumbrada esta autora.
Mi puntuación 6,5.
Christine Page
Mar 09, 2014 Christine Page rated it liked it
I liked the book but what innocent person being stalked by a crazy lady who accuses him of raping her, has her do his laundry? That was too much for me and made no sense.
Kath
Jan 15, 2016 Kath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro muy interesante, parecido a la película atracción fatal. Tiene varios giros de trama y eso me gustó, la antagonista es un personaje complejo e interesante como objeto de estudio psicológico.
Amo a los hombres como Trussel caballerosos, amorosos, simpáticos carismáticos, prácticamente perfectos, lastima que no existen como él en la realidad. El personaje Ava no me pareció particularmente interesante no tenia nada que me atrajera solo es el típico personaje de mujer que ha pasado por cosa
fleurette
Oct 29, 2015 fleurette rated it really liked it
Wow, that was good! It grabbed me from the first page and kept me reading long at night. I liked the other books in this series but still was surprised with how good this one was.

I liked Luke and Ava as a couple. The fact that he is more beautiful and younger than her gave an additional vibe. They both have interesting personalties.I only wish it was more Luke at the beginning of the story, his feelings and thoughts about the case.

I also really enjoyed the suspense part. It was grabbing and ref
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Dec 15, 2014 Kris - My Novelesque Life rated it really liked it
4 STARS

"Obsession leads to lies.

When air force captain Luke Trussell opens his door one Sunday morning, he's shocked to find the police - and even more shocked when they charge him with rape. He knows he made a mistake in judgment the night before, but he certainly didn't force his attentions on the woman who's been stalking him for months.

Problem is.Karina Harter has the bruises - and the DNA evidence - to make her claim convincing.

And lies can lead to murder.

Determined to isolate Luke, Karina
Suzanne Barrett
Mar 21, 2011 Suzanne Barrett rated it it was amazing
I admit to being a Brenda Novak fan. In fact, I've read almost all her books. In this latest series set in Sacramento, three women, victims themselves, have banded together to form a victims charity defense for women facing similar situations.

Book two, The Perfect Liar, is edgy and well written. As in the first book, the reader is aware who the antagonist is. Novak has a knack for keeping up the suspense and for showing the evil that lurks beneath the surface of her villains.

Ava Bixby takes on t
Meigan
Nov 30, 2015 Meigan rated it really liked it
Good story, reminds me of when people say, "What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive". That fits perfectly, and I was reminded of that phrase from the spiderweb on the cover.

Luke is falsely accused of rape by a woman who is infatuated with him. Obsessed to the point that she relays her story to anyone who will listen, including Ava Bixby of The Last Stand victims charity. Many people soon realize that Kalyna may not be the victim, but is actually the tormentor. Ava soon swi
Manda Collins
Aug 24, 2009 Manda Collins rated it it was amazing
This is the fifth book in Brenda Novak's Last Stand series, but could easily be read without having read the previous books. The story is chilling because it's pretty easy to see how a manipulator like the villain could convince the police and DA's office that she'd actually been raped. And nearly ruin her victim's life in the process.

The romance, though the hero and heroine didn't meet until a third of the way through the book, was more intense and romantic than in THE PERFECT COUPLE (#4). And
Kapria
Jan 04, 2016 Kapria rated it liked it
The suspense in this novel was good. Brenda does a fine job on just that, but I can never fall for the romance she effortlessly tries to put in, in her suspense stories. I had this problem when reading The Perfect Couple. Love does not happen within a week! It just doesn't. It would have been more believable if Luke accepted his high school love back into his life, but no, we always have to delve into the cliche that the two main characters fall for each other. Like I get it, it's a nice fantasy ...more
Keesha Strickland Mance
Jun 19, 2016 Keesha Strickland Mance rated it really liked it
This was my first novel reading by Novak. I was actually looking for the book with the same title by Nora Roberts. I came across this one and checked it out as well. Good thing! I liked it a lot. If you like Lifetime stalker movies, this one is right up your alley. It moved fast and escalated quickly. I am already looking into her other stories. Very satisfying!
Maria Jose
Jun 07, 2016 Maria Jose rated it it was amazing
Tercera vez que lo releo y creo que es el mejor de la serie por tercera vez. Todos ellos me gustan, pero en este caso el protagonista masculino es peculiar por muchas razones que no diré, solo apunto que él sí busca compromiso. Perfecto equilibrio entre romance y misterio. Tensión en amabas tramas hasta el final.
Melissa P
Jan 06, 2016 Melissa P rated it it was ok
This novel is not about rape, it’s about a psychologically, emotionally deranged woman who uses every trick in her book (no pun intended), including rape. The characters are not well-developed, but likable, at least you find a few people to root for. This is not groundbreaking literature, but it’s a nice enough novel to cozy up to.
Pamela
This was an interesting book which moved at a fast pace. What I love about the villain in this book is that it's a woman. Nice change.

Luke ends up having a one night stand with Kalyna which he totally regrets as she now claims that he raped and physically abused her. He left her in the middle of the night fine and well. But that's the problem. She wants him all night every night and she'll do whatever it takes to get him even if that means destroying his life personally and professionally. If h
Glenajo
Jun 24, 2011 Glenajo rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it examines a rarely discussed problem created with the fight against mistreating women and children. Now that women feel less shame connected with a rape, some unscrupulous women are 'crying rape' just to cause problems for someone else. Though rarely happens, it does happen. Luke Trussell is the victim of just such an instance. Kalyna Harter is upset because Luke does not fall in love with her. Ava Bixby of The Last Stand, a victim's charity, Comes to the aid of Kalyn ...more
Rebecca Hollingsworth
Excellent addition

The author does it again in the exciting and compelling novel that has all the twists and turns that we all love.
Livia
Dec 20, 2014 Livia rated it it was amazing
A outstanding romantic suspense novel. The character Kalyna Harter is frightfully is chilling!
Alexa
Mar 23, 2014 Alexa rated it really liked it
It's was a good book very addicting I couldn't stop reading it. I was sad when I turned to the last page
Peggy
Aug 27, 2012 Peggy rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Wow it was awesome from start to finish.
Another winer is what i say.
It was like a tingle web leves you saying wow and oh no and how weard and i can't beleave she did that.
But the ending leves you saying oh man wow and ya and all kinds of outjer stuff.
I say this each time if you have never tead A Brenda Novak book you are missing out on some great reading here her books are great.
Each book is a difrent story each book foces on that person not the ones before.
They ate great reads and keep you
Alondra Germán
Aug 01, 2014 Alondra Germán rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No se sí sentir odio o pena por Kalyna, muy muy buen libro
Jeanne
Oct 24, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it
What a story! Air Force Captain Luke Trussell has been charged with rape. After drinking too much he had sex with Kalyna Harter, not much more than a one night stand to him. She thinks differently. And when he wouldn't stay the night she put an elaborate plan into action to get him to be with her. She goes to The Last Stand, a victims advocate firm and tells her side of the event to Ava Bixby. Ava soon realizes Kalyna is lying and she's defending the wrong victim. Switching side will be dangerou ...more
Sharon
Jun 27, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
Lots of twists and turns. Were they all believable? Maybe, maybe not, but I was happy to go along for the ride.
Paige Tracey
May 14, 2014 Paige Tracey rated it really liked it
Good and a little disturbing
Melanie Chabrol-
Sep 17, 2012 Melanie Chabrol- rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, could not put it down, it is a series, and had to order it thru halequin.
What would you do for love,
Luke did not know when he opened the door that his worse nightmare came true, he is accused of rape.
HOw could he prove that he is innocent and the victim is lying. Why would anyone lie about being raped, will we ever find out who is telling the truth, the ending could have been better but it should continue in THE PERFECT MURDER
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil, #2)
  • Bad Penny (Cat Dupree, #3)
  • Measure of Darkness (Randall Shane, #4)
  • Hunt Her Down (Bullet Catcher, #7)
  • TATTOOED (The Kate Lange Thriller Series Book 3)
  • Nameless (Less Series, #2)
  • One Wrong Step (The Borderline, #2)
  • Crossfire (High Risk #2)
  • The Rapids (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #3)
  • Kiss Of Death (Sophie Anderson, #5)
  • Don't Let Go (SEAL Team 12, #5)
  • No Escape (Delta Force, #3)
  • Dying for You (The Protectors, #30)
  • Dark Room (Pete 'Monty' Montgomery, #2)
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...

The Last Stand (6 books)
  • Trust Me (The Last Stand, #1)
  • Stop Me (The Last Stand, #2)
  • Watch Me (The Last Stand, #3)
  • The Perfect Couple (The Last Stand, #4)
  • The Perfect Murder (The Last Stand, #6)