Start by marking “Toot Toot Zoom!” as Want to Read:
Toot Toot Zoom!

Toot Toot Zoom!

A funny, fast, and noisy tale about finding friends where you least expect to is the perfect vehicle for reading aloud.

Poor Pierre! He lives all alone at the foot of a mountain, and his heart, how it longs for a friend. Perhaps if he hops in his car — toot, toot, zoom! — he will fi nd a friend on the other side of the mountain! On the road — SCREECH! — he meets Goat, who k
Published April 28th 2009 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Toot Toot Zoom!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toot Toot Zoom!

Sean Gibson
Apr 20, 2016 Sean Gibson rated it really liked it
Best part about this book: giving Pierre a bad French accent when reading it aloud (mainly because that's the only kind of French accent I can do).

Or, heck, even when reading it silently.
Heather
Oct 19, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
I love this book, largely because of the line, "Where are you going so toot toot zoom?" which always makes me laugh. The others like it, but not as much as I do.

Amy Forrester
Jun 29, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Pierre lived all by himself at the foot of a tall mountain and what he wanted more than anything else was a friend. So he got into his little red convertible and began driving up the mountain. At every curve he would honk his horn, “Toot toot zoom!” On his journey to find a friend on the other side of the mountain, he meets a goat, a sheep, and a bear. The animals join him in the car to help him find a friend. When they finally reach the other side there’s no one there, but Pierre realizes he ...more
Tasha
Aug 04, 2009 Tasha rated it really liked it
Pierre, the fox, lived all alone near a tall mountain. He had no friends at all. Realizing that there may be friends to be made on the other side of the mountain, he hopped in his car and heads to the other side. Heading up the mountain, he meets Goat, who asks for a ride in his car. Pierre then meets Sheep who also wants to find a friend, so he offers her a spot in the car. Bear then joins them in their search for a friend too. On their way down the windy hill, it may take a bit of shaking up ...more
Treasa
Feb 03, 2010 Treasa rated it liked it
More than anything, Pierre wants a friend. So one day he hops in his little red car and decides to drive to the other side of the mountain to find a friend. Along the way, he meets Goat, Sheep, and Bear, who all ask to come with him to find friends. When he reaches the other side, Pierre learns that perhaps he didn't have to look quite so far to find a friend after all.

I liked the general premise of this book. And I liked the repetition of "Toot! Toot! Zoom!" throughout. As I was reading the boo
Barbara
Feb 18, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, animals
When Pierre heads up the mountain in his red car in search of a friend, he finds three good friends along the way. Goat, Sheep, and Bear are all looking for friends and adventure too, and they join him, even helping him push the car to the mountain top when it breaks down. But failed brakes cause a mishap, and the animals are all stranded on the other side of the mountain. Still, sometimes true friends turn out to be right under our noses all along. I loved the repetitive phrases contained in ...more
Vivian
Apr 27, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I was so glad to find a book featuring a car that also served up a good story. Before reading the story rehearse with the children actions to do while saying "toot, toot, zoom" and to "screech"ing to a stop, as thes happens repeatedly throughout the story. The book is large in format so the pictures are easily seen by the entire group.

This book could be used in a story times featuring foxes, friends, goats, sheep, bears, cars, or mountains.

At one point in the story the animals get out and push
Melissa Gregory
The little red fox who lives at the very bottom of the mountain doesnt have a single friend. Noone is ever around down where he lives. So he believes since noone is around where he lives, that there must be some friends on the other site, so he ventures off to explore and find new friends. Driving along in his red car he makes all sorts of new friends. I love this story.. It is very cute and attention grabbing with its great illustrations.
Amy Brown
Pierre is looking for a friend and thinks he can find one if he drives to the other side of the mountain. On his way, he picks up other animals who also want to see what is on the other side of the mountain. Over the length of the journey Pierre realizes that he doesn't need to look for friends because he has new ones in his car. Great repeating phrase that kids will love. Good for preschool storytime.
Katie
May 07, 2009 Katie rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I started off liking this book: the repitition of Toot Toot Zoom as well as of the dialog between Pierre and each new friend he meets, even as he doesn't realize that he is making new friends.

However, in the end, after they've zoomed and sped all around the mountain, the car dives over a cliff, crashes into little pieces, and the animals dizzily realize they are okay, but are now stranded on the other side of the mountain.

Kinda strange...or am I reading too much into it?

Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
In this humorous look at the search for a friend, Pierre finds himself zig zagging up a mountain road and picking up passengers along the way. In this repetitive tale, Pierre finds that when his car breaks down and he is stranded on the other side of the mountain that he indeed had found what he was looking for along the way.
Dee
Jan 07, 2011 Dee rated it liked it
A lot of noise in this book. Zoom! Vrooom! Smash! Bash! etc. you get the picture. Great read aloud book. Friendship and cooperation major themes. The car crash was a little disturbing (x's and *'s over the sheep's eyes, teeth hanging out of all the others) but they all survived.Thank goodness! The car didn't make it though.
Jill
Aug 17, 2010 Jill rated it liked it
I liked the general idea of the book with Piere tring to find a friend. I found it funny how he was finding friends without realizing it. I like the repition of the toot, toot zoom. Its illistrations aren't my favorite style, not one that I need to own but a fun read form the library.
Jess Brown
Pierre is in search of a friend and embarks on a journey up a mountain. On the way, he encounters several animals, only to discover he'd made friends on his way! The repetition makes this a good story for a younger set, and a potential good one to turn into a told story. All in all, a cute book.
Paula
Pierre takes his little red car over the mountain to find a friend. Along the way there are other animals with the same idea. A nice idea for a story but the car crash and the animals not realizing they could be each others friend until the last page makes me not like this book as much as I hoped.
Erin
Mar 02, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A nice book about finding friends. Be a good book to give kids who are moving or have just moved and are afraid they won't make friends.
Kim Browning
Nov 06, 2012 Kim Browning rated it liked it
This book is about finding a friend. The artwork has the reader turn the book on its side to read a few of the pages - fun! Cute little story.
Susan Erhardt
Though the end was obvious from the beginning, this was still a fun story. I may try it out at storytime.
May 11, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Good start, lots of repition--but the crash just seemed needlessly violent and scary. Honestly I would have enjoyed it much better if it stopped at the top of the mountain.
Sara
Nov 30, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
Will probably use this in a "letter Z" story time I have coming up. Good refrain (toot toot zoom!), cumulative story. Not amazing, but will be a good interactive choice for story time.
Whitney
Feb 17, 2014 Whitney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-toddler
Another one of Cassie's favorites. She loved the three friends Pierre gains- she always counts to make sure we account for all three. Fun- especially if someone loves cars and going zoom!
Elizabeth S
Aug 26, 2011 Elizabeth S rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-picture
2 1/2 stars. Not bad, not great. Rather formulaic. The pictures are nice. And I enjoyed the little details and irony in the last picture.
Karen
May 10, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
This was a sweet story about going on a trip and finding friends along the way -- it's that old life is a journey not a destination theme. The story was good, but the illustrations were better.
Hajnal
Hajnal rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2009
Sg
Sg rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2015
SharkBait
SharkBait rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2015
Debbie
Jul 23, 2009 Debbie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fox goes over the mountain to find a friend and finds three. Try in story time.
Christian
Christian rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2009
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2009
Sharon Allen
Sharon Allen rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
"Picture books are performances," says Phyllis Root, quoting some sage advice she once received. "They're performances that involve a child--something both of you do. And once I started thinking of them that way, I started getting much looser about making up words and playing around with rhythm."

Phyllis Root picked up an early affinity for colloquial language while growing up in Indiana and south
More about Phyllis Root...