Start by marking “Tales of Alaska's Bush Rat Governor: The Extraordinary Autobiography of Jay Hammond, Wilderness Guide and Reluctant Politician” as Want to Read:

A former Marine fighter pilot, Jay Hammond heads north to Alaska after World War II. He becomes a trapper, bush pilot, fisherman, guide, wolf hunter, poet, environmentalist, and finally a reluctant politician who endears himself to Alaska's people by telling them the unvarnished and sometimes unwelcome truth about the state of affairs in their oil-boom state. They punish h ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Epicenter Press (first published April 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Alaska's Bush Rat Governor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Alaska's Bush Rat Governor

Lisa Kearns
Jun 24, 2013 Lisa Kearns rated it really liked it
I just finished this biography and really enjoyed it. I knew who Jay Hammond was since his name pops up in almost every Alaska book I read. What I didn't know is that he had a great sense of humor and must have been a hoot as a friend and neighbor.

I enjoyed reading about his childhood, his Air Force service during WWII, his marriage(s) and kids, and the many jobs he had on his way to Governor. I do wish he had talked more about his experiences building his cabin and fishing, hunting, trapping an
Daniel Cornwall
May 29, 2014 Daniel Cornwall rated it liked it
Overall a good read for those in Alaska history. The whole book is a series of vignettes rather than a single narrative. The effect is somewhat disjointed. I personally found the first third of the book hard to get through, but things did quickly pick up from there.

More documentation of material would have been nice - examples of the Anchorage Daily Times treatment of him, bill numbers for legislation Hammond said he got passed because legislators weren't much for reading.

On the plus side, Ham
Nola
Nov 02, 2014 Nola rated it liked it
This is the kind of book you can get more out of with each reading as you become more familiar with the issues and history of Alaska. It is truly remarkable for a person such as Jay Hammond to have become so passionate and thoughtful about ways to achieve sustainability, both economic and environmental.
Faith Weldon
Jan 09, 2011 Faith Weldon rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Faith by: my daughter

Jay Hammond grew up in the Capital District of NYS--Troy, Scotia and Saratoga. I found that interesting. He wound up in Alaska after WWII and was involved in politics when Alaska entered statehood. I found this autobriography entertaining and enlightening.
Tom
Jun 01, 2007 Tom rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Alaskans and people who are interested in Alaska
Some great yarns from the legendary--and amazingly sensible and competent--governor of Alaska. One of the best governors ever, and probably the best in Alaskan history.
Emily
Sep 23, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing
Well written. Makes me want to get my pilot's license.
Kaye Sivori
Mar 31, 2015 Kaye Sivori rated it really liked it
Interesting stories!!
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Jenna
Jenna added it
Jan 11, 2016
Roland Kilcher
Roland Kilcher marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Kelly Eagan
Kelly Eagan marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Brad Roche
Brad Roche rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Michael Holbrook
Michael Holbrook rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
John
John rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
Danny Eagan
Danny Eagan rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Sadie
Sadie rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2014
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Jason Slemons
Jason Slemons marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Shady Oliver
Shady Oliver marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Fjhull Forked-tongue
Fjhull Forked-tongue marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Trish Levora
Trish Levora rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2013
Hunter
Hunter rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2013
Cliff
Cliff rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2013