Tales of Alaska's Bush Rat Governor: The Extraordinary Autobiography of Jay Hammond, Wilderness Guide and Reluctant Politician

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  4 reviews
A former Marine fighter pilot, Jay Hammond heads north to Alaska after World War II. He becomes a trapper, bush pilot, fisherman, guide, wolf hunter, poet, environmentalist, and finally a reluctant politician who endears himself to Alaska's people by telling them the unvarnished and sometimes unwelcome truth about the state of affairs in their oil-boom state. They punish h...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Epicenter Press (first published April 1st 1994)

Lisa Kearns
I just finished this biography and really enjoyed it. I knew who Jay Hammond was since his name pops up in almost every Alaska book I read. What I didn't know is that he had a great sense of humor and must have been a hoot as a friend and neighbor.

I enjoyed reading about his childhood, his Air Force service during WWII, his marriage(s) and kids, and the many jobs he had on his way to Governor. I do wish he had talked more about his experiences building his cabin and fishing, hunting, trapping an...more
Faith Weldon
Jan 09, 2011 Faith Weldon rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Faith by: my daughter

Jay Hammond grew up in the Capital District of NYS--Troy, Scotia and Saratoga. I found that interesting. He wound up in Alaska after WWII and was involved in politics when Alaska entered statehood. I found this autobriography entertaining and enlightening.
Tom
Jun 01, 2007 Tom rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Alaskans and people who are interested in Alaska
Some great yarns from the legendary--and amazingly sensible and competent--governor of Alaska. One of the best governors ever, and probably the best in Alaskan history.
Emily
Well written. Makes me want to get my pilot's license.
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Daniel Cornwall
Daniel Cornwall marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Dorothy
Dorothy marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2013
Fjhull Forked-tongue
Fjhull Forked-tongue marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Suzzanne Kelley
Suzzanne Kelley marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2012
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2012
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2011
Susie
Susie marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2010
M K
M K marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2009
Alison Perry
Alison Perry marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2008