Start by marking “Alphas (Alphas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alphas (Alphas, #1)

Alphas (Alphas #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  10,406 Ratings  ·  435 Reviews
At OCD the losers are tormented.

At Alpha Academy, they're sent home.

Skye Hamilton has scored an invitation to the ultra-exclusive Alphas-only boarding school where beta is spelled LBR . What happens when the country's best, brightest, and hawtest begin clawing and scratching their way to the top?
Published August 25th 2009 by Poppy

To ask other readers questions about Alphas, please sign up.

Claire I liked this book a little. I would read the next one but it was a little boring at some parts but it pretty much is a good book, I am now reading…moreI liked this book a little. I would read the next one but it was a little boring at some parts but it pretty much is a good book, I am now reading Movers And Fakers witch is the next book in the series. I like it more.(less)

Donna
Dec 28, 2013 Donna rated it did not like it
BEWARE OF SWEARS!!!

I am now officially dumber for having read this epic fail of a book. Seriously, what the fuck is the draw? Yeah, this doesn't render WTF? It needs the full on WHAT THE FUCK??? The vapid, pea-brained little girls are as shallow as dried puddles with nothing more going for them than good feet and great ideas. Yeah sweethearts, feet can break and ideas are dimes a dozen. What happens then? I'm not a fan of targeting talent like that to being with. Everyone needs a contingency pla
Sophia Sardothien
May 28, 2015 Sophia Sardothien rated it liked it
I love the clique, but then I love this even more back thenxD But if I was to read this now, I think I'll hate it.
Lydia
Dec 28, 2013 Lydia rated it did not like it
I selected this book thinking it would be a fluffy-plotted book.

I was right, but I didn't enjoy it. No way. The characters had this slang where the words were hyphenated, like "honest-leh". Really? It made the characters sound stupid.

The characters themselves annoyed me. I began reading and my thoughts on Skye were, "She sounds like a bitch. I cannot wait to see her inevitably be pushed off of her pedestal." They were all the same- vain, pretty, bitchy. I got them mixed up easily as there was li
Tamara
Dec 28, 2013 Tamara rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya
I would prefer to give this book zero stars. It absolutely kills me that this author is popular with actual YA girls. I don't mind ditziness at all sometimes - but it needs to not be aggressively stupid. Reading this was so, so, so painful. It read like stories I wrote in 7th grade -- except with an occasional attempt at wit (massive failure) and consistently writing "Oh my god" as "ohmuhgud", which is just the start of ...more
Gemma
Jul 20, 2010 Gemma rated it liked it
Well, I was looking for a fluff read after My Sister's Keeper. And I found one. This was one of those books where the pros and the cons are equal, so they sort of cancel eachother out.

Pro: Interesting setting in an almost sci-fi community. I loved all the awesome futuristicness of it.
Con: Everyone fit the description of the b word. I kept getting confused as to which character I was reading about, because they were all completely interchangable: lame, backstabbing arrogant bleeps.

Pro: Value on
Lola  Reviewer
Worst book/series by Lisi Harrison EVER. I adored The Clique series but this one doesn't have any single interesting element. And what the hell with the private school inside a dome which is controled by Shira AKA the most influent woman in the world? It felt like a science fiction/futuristic and maybe dystopian book by moments when this is really a contemporary apart of all that hi-tech stuff.

Even of it says being suited for 12 years old readers and older, this is the kind of book I would have
Alex
Sep 16, 2009 Alex rated it really liked it
I did not have high hopes for this book at all. In fact, I wasn't even planning to read it. When I heard she was making a spinoff featuring Skye Hamilton from The Clique I inwardly groaned. I have no interest in reading about Skye's life. What a stupid idea!

Then I passed by the book at the library and thought, let's give it a chance. I'm so glad I did.

Skye has so much more depth to her character here, but she still isn't enough to carry a book. The new characters, especially Charlie, are such a
♫✯Em loves Hollenstein✯♫❤pizza rolls over gender roles❤Don't fall in love with the moment and think you're in love with the girl
In year eight, I picked up a book called The Clique, and I loved it. It was witty, clever and interesting with likeable characters. And Alphas is even better.
I liked that the girls weren't nearly as silly as in the clique- no, "LBR" "ermahgawd" "pretty committee" or petty cat fights. This is Harrison at her best.
From page one to the end, I was captivated by the book. I loved the characters- Skye, Charlie and even Allie at the end- and found he book humorous and realistic.
But there was one probl
Casey
Feb 16, 2012 Casey rated it did not like it
I actually happen to adore the Clique books (they're kind of a guilty pleasure of mine when I'm taking a break from the Terry Pratchett that has taken over my life), so I picked this up at the bookstore because it sounded like an interesting concept, and I really like Lisi Harrison. However, this book? It SUCKED. I cannot even EXPRESS how much I wish I hadn't spent $12 on it. The whole idea of the book makes no sense. The characters are all completely shallow. None of them have any depth like ...more
Paolene Nepomuceno
Dec 03, 2010 Paolene Nepomuceno rated it liked it
I found this book, as probably everyone did, when I was reading the Clique books. Honestly, I never really liked Skye Hamilton, considering how she was such an infuriating character in the series. I decided to try it out though, mainly because I love how Lisi Harrison's writings seems to connect with the teenagers today. It was ten times better than I expected. I stayed up till about 3am reading it. I couldn't put it down!

First off, I'll talk about the plot. It was amazing, for a sci-fi/fantasy
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

Four girls, all roommates at Alpha Academy, all wanting to be the one Alpha winner selected by Shira, the most famous Alpha of all.

Skye Hamilton is a dancer who longs to impress Shira, her idol and role model.

Allie J. Abbott is a girl pretending to be the famous singer/songwriter/eco-friendly Allie A. Abbott, a person's mail she keeps getting by mistake, including her acceptance letter to the Academy. Having the hots for Shira's son, Devlin, she'll do anyth
Abigail (Read. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.)
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Summary:
International Alpha Female Shira Brazille had opened up a boarding school for exceptional and talented girls from all over the world. One hundred got in, but only one can win.

Skye Hamilton is known for being the best dancer in Westchester, New York. And she's also known for kissing the hottest guys in her hometown. But can she do the same in Alpha Academy?

Allie J. Abbott is not really Allie J. In fact, she is Allie A. Abbott, a heartbroken mall model, in which her
Vanessa M.
Oct 08, 2009 Vanessa M. rated it it was amazing
Billionaire Shira Brazille founded a new super exclusive school called the Alpha Academy to nurture the next generation of dancers, writers, musicians and inventors. It’s a complete dream for 100 lucky “alpha girls” but for any reason those who are not up to par can be sent home for any reason. The only one who isn’t sent home will be on their way to fame and stardom.
Skye Hamilton is one of Westchester’s best dancers. She is well known for her super fast dance moves and super fast dating connec
Jessica
Mar 09, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
First time I read it, I wanted to get engaged to it and marry it. That's how much I loved it! There's so much heat. As you can see from the summary, Alphas is about a boarding school housing some of the worlds greatest talent in dance, theatre, music, technology, etc. There's lots of competition and drama. Lots of things are going on but the plot is easy to follow. I love the characters; they may seem perfect but like any other character - they have their flaws. That's what makes them so ...more
Maddie
Mar 01, 2012 Maddie marked it as to-read
I absolutely loved this book. I am so fascinated with the idea of a school on a desert island for the people that are super talented. The school actually seems like a hotel because of all of the luxuries and accomadations. I loaned it to my friend Calley who is a super super talented dancer (ballet) and she kept telling me how much she wished that it was an actual school and that she wished that she could go there. I love all of Lisi Harrison's books and I think that she is an super talented ...more
Farzy Mae of BooksKeepMeSane
I can’t help comparing the book to the Clique series, also by the same author, but this is better, I liked the idea of having an academy in some private island to train future alphas. The academy is so futuristic this looks like a sci-fi chick lit book.
Of all the characters in the book, my favorite was Charlie, she was the only decent character who's not stuck up or bitchy and she's really down to earth,Charlie is the only girl that's rooted to reality in all of them.

Skye has big talents with bi
Audrey
Aug 21, 2013 Audrey rated it it was ok
person
Dec 28, 2013 person rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Ditsy airheads
If at first you don't succeed, you're not a shallow, ditsy, backstabbing, bitchy, drama queen.

When I first read a review for this book online, I was excited beyond words. The concept of it was so cool. I don't think I've ever looked forward to a book as much as I looked forward to this one. And what did I get? What did I get when I waited for two months on hold for the book at the library?

The characters in this book are so ditsy and shallow and bitchy that it just made me roll my eyes and sigh
Stacy
Apr 17, 2012 Stacy rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
This is a 2 1/2 star and I'm choosing to round down because I can't really say I "liked it." I'm clearly not the intended audience on this book, for which I blame GoodReads Recommendations. Not sure what I read that led to this...

It's like Tyra Banks' Modelland. But meaner. There are 100 girls competing to become the Alpha, and they represent a completely bizarre skill set. Dancers, musicians, poets...but also pet plastic surgeons and cell phone novelists. And they all seem to be 14. They are on
Morgan  (=
Sep 25, 2009 Morgan (= rated it really liked it
♥iDevourBooks♥ ☆Sonic~Obsessed☆
This was pretty interesting. I think I could consider this one of Lisi Harrison's best books so far.
Welcome to Alpha Academy, where if you don't succeed at first, you're not an Alpha. Alphas must be perfect, above all else.
Meet Skye Hamilton, who is well-known for her dancing abilities. She hopes to bypass every other Alpha and kiss Shira's superhawt sons.
Meet Allie A. Abbott, a girl pretending to be the famous Allie J. Abbott. But how far can she keep up her little charade?
Meet Charlie Deery, w
Kirsten
Dec 12, 2013 Kirsten rated it did not like it
Okay, this is not really a fair rating as I did not get past the third page or so. I just didn't like the authors style of writing at all. It was irritating to read. I was also turned off by the writers references to Micheal Buble, "So You Think You Can Dance," "Twighlight" and "Slumdog Millionaire"..."M.I.A." I felt the author was trying to hard to relate to the current generation, - it felt a little "try hard." Also the term "DSL daters"- girls who make super fast connections with guys...was ...more
Ipodshuffle266 Meredith
Hmmm...this book was interesting. It showed a lot of promise, but it didn't captivate my attention as much as some books did. It wasn't a page-turner like others. It was very similar to Lisi Harrison's first series, the Clique series, which, in my opinion based on this first book, is better. The survival-of-the-fittest element was very interesting, and I will continue to follow this series to find out what happens.

My favorite character, however, had to be Charlie. She seemed to me to be the sma
Monica
omg - this is trite, commercial, and WEIRD. I've never actually read The Clique, but I thought I'd try these in anticipation of our upcoming 'Friends and Other Enemies' genre study discussion. I think this spinoff series actually moves a little too far outside of the normal mean girl genre stuff to be useful for that.

All of the references were so August 2009 I felt myself having to look up multiple things on each page (Demi Lovato references? Really?) until I felt too old and dumb to continue.
Claire W
Sep 26, 2010 Claire W rated it it was amazing
This book is for girls, who know there girl stuff, the language, the style, and the BOYS! Five girls are roomed together, each being the best from where they came from. Surving through Alpha Academy, makes a true alpha. don't break the rules, or you may just end up in complete and utter humiliation. This book was a great book to read, it was by my favorite author, and I never got bored. This book deseves 5 stars!
Lacey
Aug 19, 2015 Lacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alphas REVIEW

I liked: the futuristic technology, and a character named Charlie. I did not like: the girl's attitudes, or Shira. I'm not sure if I want to bother reading the next book.
Jennie Hayes
Feb 09, 2011 Jennie Hayes rated it really liked it
I think this was an amazing book! It was very suspenseful and I never wanted to put it down for a second. I really liked the character of Charlie because she was so confident and smart. I liked that this book was set on a remote island because it seemed really cool.
Janie
Dec 08, 2009 Janie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
Harrison's best book yet! I love the clique, but this just blows it out of the water. It's enthralling and unpredictable throughout, and it still has all of that good ol' boy drama. I cannot wait for the next installment!
Hannah
Loved it as soon as I read the first page! It is a very fun book and I would reccomend it to any girl.
Jessie
Jan 23, 2013 Jessie rated it it was amazing
I read all the alpha books in 1 week and I fell in love!!!!!! Please tell me ur writing more alpha books?!?!?
  • Talent (Talent, #1)
  • Poseur (Poseur, #1)
  • The Daughters (The Daughters, #1)
  • Sloane Sisters (Sloane Sisters, #1)
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • On Location (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #2)
  • Gorgeous (Avery Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • The Ashleys (The Ashleys, #1)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
Lisi Harrison is the author of the #1 New York Times best-selling series "The Clique". Lisi was born in Canada, and lived in NYC for a while at MTV. She now lives in Laguna Beach, CA.

More about Lisi Harrison...

Alphas (4 books)
  • Movers & Fakers (Alphas, #2)
  • Belle of the Brawl (Alphas, #3)
  • Top of the Feud Chain (Alphas, #4)

“If at first you don't succeed, You're not an Alpha” 49 likes