Start by marking “Reprisal (Adversary Cycle, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Reprisal

F. Paul Wilson

Reprisal (Adversary Cycle #5)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,056 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Poised and waiting for the moment he can unleash an ancient wave of horror that will extinguish humanity, Jonah poses as a graduate student in a small southern town to hide his venomous vampiric identity.
Published (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Reprisal, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Mark
Reprisal is the fifth and penultimate book of F. Paul Wilson's Adversary Cycle. This book has a much darker tone than the previous books of the Adversary Cycle, and it was a good read.

The Plot

The book takes place around 23 years after the events of Reborn and the action starts in medias res. Will Ryerson is getting phone calls from a child who's constantly screaming for help; a child who's supposed to be dead. Ryerson is accused of killing him. His only friend in the world is a math Ph.D.
Dany
For me this was true horror. Wilson took three distinct adult characters and developed them and made me care (Danny, the child, I cared for him right away). I continued to read and become sickened with the events that happened to them. At the conclusion, I finally felt the depth of despair that Rasalom can bring and felt the full force of wanting revenge against him. I've always loathed the guy throughout the series but never like this! Now I'm SO ready to see him fall. I hope I get that satisfa ...more
Ciscokid
This is the perfect horror novel. I'm working my way through "the secret history of the world" and was kinda disappointed when I realized that Jack wasn't going to be a character in this story. That disappointment didn't stay with me long. A book where "the adversary" was the main character fits right in with the two series. The plight of Danny is what makes this a good horror story. My eyes were glued to the book as soon as Father Bill found him in the house, and I couldn't stop reading. The qu ...more
Neil
EDIT: I've now read Fatal Error. My original comments below about Mr. Veilleur's actions are a bit more understandable now that I have read it (although it is still in my opinion inconsistent with his character). Fatal Error does make Reprisal a much more relevant book - however, it's not enough to change my mind on the rating I gave this one. It is still in my opinion the weakest in the series (given how good the series is though - it's still better than a lot of books I've read).

ORIGINAL REVIE
Todd
A strong, solid horror novel. One of the issues I had with the Adversary series the first time I read it was they way the individual books jumped around from place to place and storyline to storyline, so you didn't really get to connect with the characters as well as you could before everything started coming back together in the last couple of books of the series. Well, this is the book where the threads come together, and it's better off for it. (Reading the Jack/Adversary books together follo ...more
Mark Turner
Page turner! This was the first Wilson book I read in a day so that speaks volumes as to how good a story it was. Oh Rasalom, you are pure evil.
Brian Palmer
Wilson paints a tremendously dark and subtle evil in this, taking intriguing and sympathetic characters around the mathematics department of Darnell University and pulling them into a web of betrayal and evil. This is not the action-movie evil of the Repairman Jack series; this is scary horror movie evil, where people are tempted into becoming their own doom.

The only thing that really bothered me was the characters treated the warmed over Randian pseudophilosophy as wholly original; I doubt ther
Коста  Сивов
Така, така! Стигнах и до петата книга от цикъла за "Врага" на Ф. Пол Уилсън. С ръка на сърцето мога да заявя, че това е, определено, най-добрият роман от поредицата (поне до момента). Трябва също да призная, че толкова добър хорър не бях чел от доста време. Направо красота!

В тази част от цикъла битката срещу Рашалом (както е преведено името в първата книга "Крепостта", но според мен си е Расалом) продължава с пълна сила. В предната книга влязоха някои нови герои като един от тях - Бил Раян, прод
Brittany
Excellent book overall. In this novel, nobody is whom (s)he appears to be, which makes the story even more twisted. Especially in The Reprisal we see characters' faith—in God, humanity, themselves—tested, but in the end they only seem to believe in Rasalom. They (and specifically Bill) give up on pretty much anything else they held dear throughout their lives, but have no trouble accepting Rasalom and the fate he has in store for the world. I find that a little unbelievable. Another thing that b ...more
Jan Kjellin
David Agranoff

It is interesting to read the fifth book in a series and think to yourself upon finishing it that it wasn’t like any other novel you can remember. Reprisal is a very unique horror novel, that is one of the most heart-breaking a devastating reads you’ll ever have trouble putting done. Wilson has created an effective novel that’s terror is built on the back of strong characterizations. It can’t be stated enough because it goes over the heads of many horror fans, but a horror story can’t be effecti
Eric
This novel opens in a promising manner, with our old friend Mr. Veilleur sitting alone in a small cemetery in Queens. He ruminates next to an unmarked, four-foot grave, whose occupant, Mr. Veilleur believes, was touched by The Enemy.

Shift the scene to Darnell University in Pendleton, North Carolina. Lisl Whitman is a frumpy assistant math professor, 32 years old, lonely, and lacking confidence. Will Ryerson is a groundskeeper at the university, mid-forties, with a strange but understandable ave
Leigh Terry
Wilson's "The Adversary Cycle" has gotten a bit bloated. Granted, I only stumbled onto it when I first found Repairman Jack. I had to do a lot of backtracking. But I've gone back and read everything up to this point, and I'm still confused.

"Reprisal" features characters from "Reborn" that I didn't even realize were characters from "Reborn" until well into the book. There've been a dozen Repairman Jack books to read in between these two books, and I've lost track. Granted, I'm invested now. I can
John
I really liked this book. One of my favorite F. Paul Wilson books. I like how everything ties together in this book. Great part of the Adversary Cycle! Definitely is a must read if you like Repairman Jack. Do not read this book out of order. Please go to F. Paul Wilson's site and read his books in the order listed. Follow the order of The Secret History of the World. He did a great job with the characters in this book. I enjoyed them all. This was a page turner and a heart breaker. F. Paul Wilso ...more
Monique
I accidentally read this book before Reborn accidentally thinking that this book was the third book in The Adversary Series. So I must admit I was partially confused. I did start to understand what had happened in the 3rd book but I still felt partially lost.

Overall I enjoyed this book, I felt it was scary. It wasn't scary like boogeyman in the closest, more creepy like a psychological thriller. It was creepy to watch Lisl become slowly brainwashed and manipulated by Rasalom. The things Rasalom
David
This is the original version of this novel (officially part of the Adversary series), written before 12 of the Repairman Jack novels that act as "prequels" to this story. I know that F. Paul Wilson meant to revise this to match the timeline, and that would be interesting to see how that worked. As it is, there are some holes in the larger story it fits into: The Secret History of the World. Nevertheless, this is very illuminating as to the character of Rasalom. This is not a stand-alone novel. A ...more
Steve
Disturbing

But a great continuation of the Adversary Cycle. More twists, turns and secret history revealed on our way to the Nightworld. Reprisal
George Ramos
Aug 06, 2012 George Ramos rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror fans
Continues the tone and scope of the previous 4 books in The Adversary Cycle. Considering this is the penultimate book I was mildly disappointed: I would have liked the scale of the book's events to go beyond the usual 2-3 mundane and boring characters the author gives us. This is a direct continuation of the previous books in the series, however, and fills the itch to know what happens when the child grows up.

There were no surprises in the book, but there were thankfully some deliciously cold-he
Allen Garvin
A book I've had for a decade or so. Part of the adversary cycle, I've read the book before and its sequel but never gotten around to it before. With all the fast-paced books Wilson has written in recent years, it's hard to remember his earlier books where the pace was slow and the horror, the wrongness and other-ness, ponderous but inevitable to develop. This little gem from 1992 is one of those. There's no real resolution, and it mainly sets up Nightworld, the end of the sequence, but it's stil ...more
Shelly
This is a fantastic book. It incorporates some strands of the "Repairman Jack" series, and foreshadows how "The Adversary Cycle" and "Repairman Jack" series come together. "Reprisal" takes place concurrently with "The Touch" and "Fatal Error." Readers finally discover what happened in when Jack dropped Glaeken off at St. Anne's Cemetery, and what happened when Glaeken went to North Carolina. This is a thrilling lead in to the final books in the Secret History of the World.
Murphious
The Adversary Cycle is about to wrap up, and this lead-in seemed worth the wait. "Reprisal" is more psychological than paranormal thriller. But, the further I read, the more I realized there was something else happening here. There are some interesting twists in people's actions/reactions due to the "Atrocity" of 5 years previous. The action sequence at the end sets a great tone and I anticipate a thoroughly enjoyable finish in the next book. Worthy of 3.5 to 4 stars.
Dave
Book 5 in the original 6 book Adversary Cycle, this book gave me nightmares when I read it back in 1994. After reading Wilson's 'new' version of the last book, Night World, I decided to read this one again. I picked up the version written in the 90's.
It STILL hold up. It is not a "stand alone". You'll need to read The Keep and Reborn to really understand what is going on.
Well written, and still chilling. The images will stay with you long after you've read it.
Tim Osborn
This is a really carefully crafted work of horror. You can almost feel for the unsuspecting rubes who never see what evil is lurking about ready to swallow them. The character relationships are fascinating in the most suspenseful way. You will not be able to put this book down. After the original story The Keep was made into a film F. Paul Wilson refused to let Hollywood destroy another of his stories. I understand why no movie could do justice to this series.
Andrew
Catching up on the bad-guy thread of the Repairman Jack universe. It is a respectable book except that it doesn't have Jack in it, and I'm sticking with this stuff for familiarity (Jack) and continuity (Secret History background) rather than because I love Wilson's writing. As usual, I agree with his underlying theme of "people who hate people are the loneliest people, and will also destroy civilization" but it's played way over the top.
Becky
This really was not one of my favorite Adversary Cycle books. Somehow, the pace of the novel felt "off". The characters were interesting, but I did not find myself getting very attached to them this time around. On the whole, it felt like it was forced, as if the author needed to get from point a to point b and in a hurry. Two and a half stars, though I still like this author's style.
Carey Gibbons
Yeah! I couldn't put this book down. Most of the Adversary Cycle was predictable since I've read most of the Repairman Jack books, but this one bought everything and tied up a bunch of loose ends for both series. It was really great to revisit characters from Reborn. And the mention of Jack at the end was pretty awesome. Moving on to The Dark at the End now.
Bill Mazzola
Awesome book - so close to being five stars. . Loved hue this book really came together with Fatal Error, the Repairman Jack book. Both stories happen concurrently and finally really join the two tales together as one opus. Really looking forward to the last Jack book and then Nightworld. What an incredible saga this has turned out to be.
Bob Jr.
The book was okay, and was horrifying in spots (that scene in the graveyard, brr...) but suffers from being primarily a transition book. It catches us up on characters from Reborn and sets the stage for the ending of the Adversary cycle, so it's important to read for that, but I'm just not sure it stands well on its own.
Kilgallen
I liked the plot of this instalment of the adversary cycle. At times it seemed a little scattered with intertwined plots moving forward. Not a blood and guts type of horror but there were certainly some un comfortable scenes. Uncomfortable in a good way :)
  • The Summoning
  • Ghosts
  • Blind Panic (Manitou, #5)
  • Chasm
  • Kill Whitey
  • Billy
  • All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By
  • Stranger
  • The Wicked
  • Body Rides
  • The Bridge
  • Ripper  (Special X, #4)
  • Children of the Night
  • Alleinstehender Psychopath sucht Gleichgesinnte (Andrew Mayham, #2)
  • Draculas
  • The Hidden
  • The World on Blood
  • Usher's Passing
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...

Adversary Cycle (6 books)
  • The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1)
  • The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) (Repairman Jack, #1)
  • The Touch (Adversary Cycle, #3)
  • Reborn (Adversary Cycle, #4)
  • Nightworld (Adversary Cycle, #6)
The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1) The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) (Repairman Jack, #1) Legacies  (Repairman Jack, #2) Conspiracies (Repairman Jack, #3) All the Rage (Repairman Jack, #4)

“War, hate, jealousy, racism - what are they but manifestations of fear?” 7 likes