Start by marking “Carefree Clothes for Girls: 20 Patterns for Outdoor Frocks, Playdate Dresses, and More” as Want to Read:

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Ruffles, buttons, and lace are the perfect ingredients for little girls’ clothes; add some unfinished hems and plenty of room to run and play, and you have garments full of fanciful charm and practical playfulness. The twenty patterns in this book—from simple dresses with ruffled sleeves to blouses with crocheted lace and pants with sewn-on legwarmers—are of simple constru ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by Roost Books

To ask other readers questions about Carefree Clothes for Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carefree Clothes for Girls

Shala Kerrigan
This is, in my opinion, simply charming.

Not everyone will agree with that assessment. If you love french seams, dart fitting, couture techniques and heirloom quality sewing for girls, this is not the book for you.

If you like simple shapes, fun and irregular details and dresses that you won't mind getting dirty, this might be a great book for you.

It has 20 projects, and full sized patterns in the back under the flap for all but 2 of them. Unfortunately, my daughter is too big for those projects,
Pumpkinbear
Having one little girl who loves frillies and one little girl who hates frillies, this book is the best of both worlds for me, in that both of my girls really loved a lot of the garments in here.

Mind you, Okawa's photographer wins everyone over with the full-page, glossy photos of that stinkin' cute little kid wearing almost every one of the outfits before you even get to the instructions and patterns, but still, her garments have so much potential that both my four-year-old and my six-year-old
Katherine
I chose this book for three reasons. 1) The title appealed to me -- who wouldn't want to dress her child in clothing that can be described as "carefree"? 2) The cover photo looked artistic and reminded me of Japanese sewing books in its studied casual elegance. (Oh, hey, the imprint page says it was originally published in Japanese, so points to me for seeing this in the aesthetic of the cover.) 3) It looked like it had simple, easy-to-execute patterns that would work for someone like me, who ca ...more
Carmine
I enjoy sewing clothes for my daughter when I have the chance. Had my girly girl look through this book to pick out something for me to make for her not thinking she'd go for much of it, but she spent a fair amount of time looking through it and very enthusiastically exclaimed she wanted nearly every thing in the book- certainly all the dresses. The aesthetic is very different from what you see in the stores- this is not Hanna Andersson or Gymboree- the colors are very muted and many of the fabr ...more
Julie
You pretty know what you are getting from this book from the cover, no surprises. But I just have a thing for clothes sewing books. If I was a Puritan in the fall with only dreary gray days, and had a daughter with freakishly long red hair, then I might try some of these things. But for the rest of us...... Well, you get the idea. I appreciate the creativity and uniqueness though.
These designs, while certainly beautiful to look at, are wildly impractical. Unfinished hems for a child's dress? Please, woman. This author thinks up wonderful conceptual art and then hangs it on her unnerving changeling-child model. Not a go to book for basic patterns, but there are some things in here that truly captivate, and some I may actually try.
Willow
i'm excited to try making some of the projects in this book. it includes patterns and instructions and looks like projects range in difficulty. i'm not a huge fan of all the fabric choices and unfinished hems but everything looks simple enough to modify. if nothing else, good inspiration for making fun and unique clothing!
Jessietaylortanner
A little too carefree for me... Unfinished hems, raggedy patches and a babushka-style head scarf. Not my thing on the whole. I like casual and whimsical, but a bit more finished and refined I suppose.
Beth
Fun and inspiring! Yes, I could have thought of alot of these ideas myself, but I didn't. I'm finding it a great jumping off point for some fun outfits - all from good, basic patterns.
Melissa
So many great patterns, and I think a few of the things are appropriate for either gender child. I made the melon hat, and it's adorable. The pattern was easy to follow too.
Miranda
oooh I do like this book... although the clothes are perhaps not the most practical. I want to make the white hat for Maude and maybe the blue dress too...
Lisa
The clothes are natural and whimsical, but if I tried to put my child in them, she'd look like a peasant. In a poor way. Will not be making anything here.
Brit Mcniven
Brit Mcniven marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Sivane Sri
Sivane Sri marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Nadine
Nadine added it
Jan 19, 2015
Teresa Vaughn
Teresa Vaughn marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Joseph T.
Joseph T. marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Echo
Echo is currently reading it
Dec 31, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Cheryl Popiela
Cheryl Popiela marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014