Start by marking “Birdie's Book (The Fairy Godmother Academy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Birdie's Book (The Fairy Godmother Academy, #1)

Birdie's Book (The Fairy Godmother Academy #1)

Where do fairy godmothers come from?

When Birdie goes to visit her grandmother for the first time, she learns that her grandmother is a fairy godmother—which means Birdie's a fairy godmother too! Trained by fairies in a magical land called Aventurine, human fairy godmothers have been hidden protectors of the world for centuries. Birdie' s family talisman, a singing stone, h
Published August 25th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published September 18th 2008)

Jessica Mitchell
Nov 21, 2012 Jessica Mitchell rated it really liked it
Jessica Mitchell, 11 years old
Birdie's Book
Jan Bozarth

I am totally reading the next book in the series! This story was a perfect combination of everything I like in a book; Suspense, family issues, fantasy, and a girl main character who has flaws, and isn't a goody-two-shoes perfect person.
I think the author, Jan Bozarth, did an amazing job describing how the regular, human world changed into the dreamland, Aventurine, where most of the story takes place.
There are only two reasons I gave this
Christine Rains
Jun 18, 2013 Christine Rains rated it really liked it
Birdie Cramer Bright is stuck in NYC when all she wants is green open places. She loves plants and knows everything about them. When she meets her Granny Mo for the first time, she discovers that a green thumb is a family trait that's far more important than she could've imagined. It's the family destiny that every girl in each generation is a fairy godmother. Now it's Birdie's turn to prove her worth and enter the realm of the fairies through her dream.

This was a refreshing change of pace for m
Laurie
Aug 27, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd highly recommend this book even if I weren't involved with this project! Here's the plug I wrote for Amazon:

As a teacher and a writer, I loved reading Birdie's Book, the first in the Fairy Godmother Academy Series. Birdie's challenge -- to save the natural world and to bring estranged family members together -- encourages all readers to look outside themselves and make a real world impact. In this age where community building is increasingly important, it's also great to see that there is a
Melissa
Feb 01, 2011 Melissa rated it did not like it
I really tried to like this book--which had a lot of potential--but was thoroughly disappointed. I saw the second book in the series on a recommend table (which space I'm convinced was bought, not independently chosen on any merit) so I thought perhaps I should start with the first. From the beginning I was disappointed in the juvenile, stilted and unpracticed writing style. There was so much potential for this book that it feels wasted on being the "first book." It should have waited in the ...more
Hannah Miller
Mar 10, 2014 Hannah Miller rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I was young when I read this, and I loved it. I loved the magic and surprise, and I was a huge fan of the first book. Then I returned it to the Library, and forgot the name. I read the description and I knew it was the book I had loved. I was delighted to read it as a child. I'd definately say it's not just for eight-year-olds. 
Dixie A.
Oct 08, 2014 Dixie A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A delightful, well-written book; however, I would like to add that it really is for a younger audience than is hinted at in its description. The story was short and overly simplistic for a teen audience, but quite beautifully detailed and well-told.
Tara
Oct 13, 2013 Tara rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2013, overdrive
Cute and fun. I really enjoyed it. A very fluffy read, but that's what I wanted.
Angela
Nov 30, 2010 Angela rated it it was ok
Shelves: kidsbooks, sf-fantasy
The first of a series but I didn't find it well-written or compelling enough to seek out more.
J.D.Staton
Oct 12, 2015 J.D.Staton rated it liked it
This book is difficult for me to rate here, as the quality of the story is so very uneven - making it a 3.0, at best. The story hooked me right away, creating both the most lovely fantasy and real book settings I've probably ever encountered. As a life-long lover of nature, beauty, and gardens (especially flower gardens), the biologic language of flowers and plants, along with the visual splendor of Mo's gardens and the dream fairy world (Aventurine), captured my imagination in ways few books ...more
Liliana
Nov 09, 2016 Liliana rated it really liked it
***warning
***spoiler alert

1. My favorite character in this book is the Grandmother. She is rosy and always using her energy to cheer people up. The Grandmother has a real personality, she is not fake at all. And, she really loves flowers. She is wise like Yoda, because she will only tell a bit and you’ve gotta find out the rest by yourself! She actually reminds me of my guides at Acton Academy. And, I love my school.

Granny Mo is a good and decent person with a caring nature. She cares about eve
Liliana

Granny Mo is a good and decent person with a caring nature. She cares about everything from people to the
Evangeline
Sep 12, 2016 Evangeline rated it liked it
The Fairy Godmother series used to be THE BEST THING EVER when I was a wee lass. I found Birdie's Book on the shelf of my library and decided to give in to good ol' nostalgia. I quickly reread it, and surprisingly enough, enjoyed it! It wasn't a complex plot, really developed characters, or even amazing writing. IT'S JUST FUN. It's like watching a cartoon. You're entertained, and that is it, and that is enough.
Sarah Crawford
Feb 19, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
Birdie is a twelve-year-old girl who has gone to visit her grandmother. Her grandmother and her mother do not get along for some reason. Her grandmother is a botanist and she shows Birdie around her land, pointing out a tree that is quite ill.

What happens next is approached as a dream in the story although it could also be something that involves astral projection, for Birdie goes to sleep and travels to a place where there are fairies. The place is physically very similar to her grandmother's a
Amanda Carpenter
Sep 26, 2012 Amanda Carpenter rated it it was amazing
This was a great start to this series. I enjoy good books that involve a bit of magic or fairies or other supernatural or paranormal topics. I especially love to find ones like this for children or teens. I think it is important to help teens realize and understand that it's okay to be interested in something supernatural, paranormal or magical. I think kids would enjoy this book too. I enjoyed the female family line that was focused on in this book. I think it was a nice touch. I liked Birdie ...more
Julie
Dec 24, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, childrens, 2014
For the intended age group this was a fun book. The illustrations were a little distracting, especially when the words were written over them. The family fight was resolved without any real reason given. I would have liked more detail about Birdie going into the fairy world. It was sudden and I wasn't really sure if she was supposed to have fallen asleep while outside in January or if something else had happened.

I enjoyed the relationship between Birdie and Kerka. I liked how it developed quickl
Shannon McGee
Nov 06, 2009 Shannon McGee rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Birdie is a young girl who is visiting her mother's mom for the first time. There she finds out from her Gram that she comes from a long line of Fairy Godmothers, including her mother, who turned her back on the family history. Birdie learns she must go on a quest to bring the family back together.

The book enters the world of magic and dreamland so fast that you don't have much time to deny it. I like the idea of the series, which has a website at http://fairygodmotheracademy.com and cards withi
Amanda
Sep 01, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
I have a feeling that if I'd read this book as a pre-teen I would have LOVED it. As an adult I can see some of the less-than-stellar writing moments, but I still really liked the main character (she manages to avoid some of the clichéd personality traits so prevalent among young/teenage heroines) and the overall message of women within a family bonding together and allowing each other to be true to themselves. I also felt a genuine appreciation that the author put some thought and effort into ...more
Erin
Mar 11, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
3.75.....I read this one out loud with my 7 year old daughter. It is a cute story with very likable characters. As I have noticed other's comments in some previous reviews, I must agree that there were a lot of big words in this one - mostly plant names, but also just some larger words that seemed to be thrown in randomly. I think anyone younger than 11 would have a hard time reading this as a solo read. However, having said that, I did read it TO my daughter, and because we could stop and ...more
Amanda
This is a very cute book that caught my eye right away on the shelf. Birdie is a lovable character, with some great life lessons to teach any young reader. I would recommend this book for families who may be having a difficult time. The troubles that Birdie go through are softened by the fantastical elements of her adventure. Fun, exciting, and fast-paced, this first book in the series will leave you itching to pick up the next book right away.
Jessica
Nov 04, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Enchanting! Birdie loves plants and she can name them like nobodys business. She clings to her green friends because her parents are busy people. When her mom leaves for a busimess trip her dad put her on the train to see her Grandma Mo. Grandma Mo's house is a magical place and from there Birdie's life makes a change! Step into Adventurine and see for yourself the mystical world that Birdie is now apart of!
Neeuqdrazil
Apr 30, 2013 Neeuqdrazil rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, read-in-2013
I can't remember why I checked this out from the library, but it was a cute little fluffy children's book.

I probably won't go on and read any more from this series, because there isn't enough there for the adult reader, really, but I did enjoy this one.

Awesome book if you're looking for a girl-focused story - the only male in the story at all is Birdie's father, who is almost non-existent.
Valerie
Apr 01, 2016 Valerie rated it liked it
Modern girls meet the magical fairy realm of Aventurine as they begin their training to become fairy godmothers. In the first book of the series, Birdie meets her grandmother and discovers a family legacy of caring for plants. She goes on a magical quest to save her family and the magic Glimmer Tree.
Anne
What I like about the book is its emphasis on growing things; what I didn't like is more important: it's not an example of exceptional writing. It felt like a string of "I did this..." and "This happened" - not a good flow to the words, which bothered me. I wouldn't give it to a child as an example of writing I would want her to imitate.
P is for Polly
This is a fun new combo for girls fantasy. I like the mix of old and new themes along with a dream world that is closely connected to the real one. While some series books for children have a slow pace that can drive adult readers insane, I loved the pace of this book and the idea of more coming.
Beth
Mar 16, 2010 Beth rated it liked it
Birdie goes to visit her estranged grandmother and learns that there's magic in her family which has been rejected by her mother. The action picks up when Birdie visits the magical land of Adventurine to complete a quest. This book is pretty straightforward, some family/divorce issues.
Donna
Apr 25, 2011 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: tweens, children
This was a solid fairy adventure for those who want fantasy fiction with the trappings of a fairy world. I liked the prospect of a fairy godmother lineage, but I just don't think it was adequately explored.
Emily
Dec 23, 2011 Emily rated it it was ok
I actually only like reading books I already like with my kids. I had hoped Samantha could read this by herself. Unfortunately it was too difficult (there were quite a few Latin words!). I don't want to read the next one but I may have to.
Marta Ferguson
Aug 18, 2012 Marta Ferguson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
It's a nice read--5-star rating is as much for the girl-positive community around the book as the book itself. Looking forward to the others!
Homewood Public Library
Difficult to jump into. The characters were hard to connect with and the writing style was difficult to follow.
china
Apr 14, 2009 china marked it as to-read
This was written by one of my aunt's best friends. My aunt read the advanced review copy, and says it's really good...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Smurf dan Krwakakrwa (Kisah Smurf)
  • Clover Twig and the Magical Cottage
  • The Witchy Worries of Abbie Adams
  • Sam The Cat Detective (Sam the Cat Mystery, #1)
  • Spirited Away Picture Book
  • The First Adventure (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1)
  • Executive Lunch (A Sedona O'Hala Mystery #1)
  • Thomas and the Dragon Queen
  • Dogerella
  • Palace Beautiful
  • Robbie Forester and the Outlaws of Sherwood Street (outlaws of Sherwood Street, #1)
  • Scrapbook of Secrets
  • Wishful Thinking (The Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff, #2)
  • Falling In
  • Mrs Armitage on Wheels
  • Inventing Wonderland: the Lives and Fantasies of Lewis Carroll, Edward Lear, J.M. Barrie, Kenneth Grahame and A.A. Milne
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)
  • The Cats of Roxville Station

The Fairy Godmother Academy (6 books)
  • Kerka's Book (The Fairy Godmother Academy, #2)
  • Zally's Book (The Fairy Godmother Academy, #3)
  • Lilu's Book (The Fairy Godmother Academy, #4)
  • The Fairy Godmother Academy #5: Sumi's Book