Start by marking “Unseen (Anders Knutas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unseen (Anders Knutas, #1)

Unseen (Anders Knutas #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  2,064 ratings  ·  164 reviews
Swedish crime at its best—dark, atmospheric, and chilling.

The island of Gotland is in the middle of a busy tourist season and getting ready for Midsummer, the 4th of July of Swedish holidays, when a young woman and her dog are found brutally murdered. The dog has been beheaded and is missing a paw; the woman is naked, covered in gruesome axe wounds, and her panties have be
Published September 5th 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Unseen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unseen

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonHunger by Knut HamsunThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Best Scandinavian and Nordic Literature
218th out of 825 books — 794 voters
The Shipping News by Annie ProulxSmilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegSnow Falling on Cedars by David GutersonThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanThe Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
Best Books on the North
26th out of 186 books — 61 voters

More lists with this book...

Ellie
Unseen by Mari Jungstedt is a Swedish thriller. I really wanted to give it a 3.5 rating but rounded up. The plot is fairly routine but the book is so well-paced and crafted that it managed to rise above its own ordinariness and be entertaining.

The other attractions of the book include the detective Anders Knutas who, while not the most dynamic of the Scandinavian gallery of world weary police officers is quite attractive and the portrayal of Gotland, a popular vacation area of the coast of Swede
Kajsa Byne
With that, I guess I've just read my first crappy Swedish crim novel :P
Filipa
"Ninguém viu" é um livro pequenino mas muito bem estruturado e com uma história que desde logo agarra o leitor.

Assassinatos com uma particularidade que vai dar a volta aos investigadores ao tentarem perceber o porquê de tal característica. . .

Um jornalista insistente que tenta fazer o seu trabalho e tentando respeitar ao mesmo tempo o trabalho da polícia para não comprometer a investigação e que consegue algumas informações que irão ajudar no caso. . . uma grande ajuda. . .

Assassino da história
Bastante entretenido, y mantiene la intriga, a pesar de que adiviné al asesino...
✿ Deni
It may have been the fact that I was reading a translation into Spanish but I didn't enjoy this book.

The plot wasn't too bad, but the way the ending was given to us felt very amateur, it's just thrown out there and it feels it belongs to a different story (view spoiler)
N.P. Statham
Review via Crime Beat by N. P. Statham.

Killers are made, not born. In Unseen, Mari Jungstedt explores the psyche of a killer. What is it that makes a seemingly normal person commit unspeakable acts of violence?

In the tradition of the best European crime writers, Unseens opens with a gruesome murder scene. A young woman and her faithful watchdog are killed in a foggy morning, on a deserted beach in Gotland. The body is found nude, with several cuts and wounds. But the most appalling touch is the
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
This is another good Scandanavian writer, but edgier than the others I have read recently. The scene is set at a dinner party in the holiday home of Helena on the island of Gotland, a busy little holiday destination in Sweden. The party ends abruptly when Helena's jealous boyfriend has a violent row with her and her male friend. The following morning, she goes out for a run with her faithful protective dog and they are both viciously attacked and killed not far from her house. Her boyfriend beco ...more
Tânia Tanocas
Adoro quando um livro me faz perder a noção do tempo e me oferece o dom de me manter agarrada á história até à última página...

Numa ilha, onde nada de mal acontece, aparece uma mulher e o seu fiel amiga mortos, acontecimento que surge depois de uma discussão com o marido numa festa, o suspeito principal (marido) é preso e fim da história... Nada disso, nem sempre o óbvio é a conclusão de um caso...

A história é muito mais complexa e extremamente bem imaginada, porque encontramos um assassino em
Larraine
I recently read the most recent book by this author. So I decided to go back to the beginning and read her first. It's always interesting to do that. I've left out the ones in the middle for now because my TBR pile is growing way too exponentially. However, it was interesting to read the difference. Her most recent is much more polished. Still, this is a good story. A woman is brutally murdered by an ax-wielding murderer. A pair of panties are stuffed in her mouth. The police are sure her husban ...more
Suzanne
Apr 14, 2009 Suzanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jennifer, Krista, Kerstin
Recommended to Suzanne by: Mystery Lovers Bookshop
Shelves: mysteries
Wow, a pretty intense mystery! I liked the unravelling of the mystery - it really took me a long, long time to figure it out, and when it was revealed, I thought, 'very clever.' I really liked Anders Knutas - very authentic detective. I think the thing I like most is that I'm still thinking about this book. I don't want to give anything away so I'll just say that the incidents that provoked the murders are almost as troubling as the murders. I must read the next books in the series!
Siria
I'm not sure if it was a function of the translation, or if it was the fact that this was Jungstedt's first novel, but Unseen struck me as rather flat and affectless. None of the characters came alive for me, I thought the killer's motive was clichéd and his identity far too obvious. I did like the detail which Jungstedt provided about life on the Swedish island of Gotland, though—it sounds very beautiful and peaceful, and I've added it to the list of places I would like to visit.
William
I always look forward to starting a new mystery series, but in this case my anticipation was followed by a tangible let-down. A central problem is I found Inspector Anders Knutas colorless and a character I am not interested in experiencing again. That's unusual in Scandinavian mysteries, where the police presence is usually depressed and dyspeptic, and I found myself missing that approach here.

The plot frequently annoyed me. Rather than tracing procedural steps where the perpetrator gradually c
Wanda
I enjoyed this novel and found it to be quite gripping. The suspense is well maintained and I didn't guess who the murderer was until about the same time that the main characters were figuring it out. My only disappointment was a teeny bit of moralizing at the end (i.e. people should take better care of their children). But it was only one or two sentences so I will be willing to try more of this authors' work.
Sian Wadey
My Mum has been banging on about these novels for while now and I eventually caved in and picked up the first in the Anders Knutas series.
I'm a big fan of Nordic Noir, but one thing I struggle with is the Scandinavian names. A lot of them seem very similar and occasionally I get confused with who is who.
I really enjoyed the description of the island of Gotland. Mari Jungstedt is brilliant at portraying the surrounding countryside and gives great depth and atmosphere to each scene.
Unseen had a
konneko .
3,5 estrellas.

No es lo mejor que he leído en novela negra sueca, pero tuvo un "buen" desarrollo.
La historia se mantuvo plana durante mucho tiempo y, de repente (como en todos estos libros) comienza a quedar la grande y uno ni tiempo tiene de anotar la patente.
Hubo detalles de más, como el inhalador, que al final nunca fue explicado y... Sería.
Ishtar
Es un libro flojo que en ocasiones cansa. Me llegué a plantear abandonarlo varias veces, pero al final me quedé esperando un giro de los acontecimientos que animara la historia un poco... algo que nunca llegó. Para mí es un libro prescindible, hay novelas similares mucho mejores y sobre todo más entretenidas.
Michala
Tuhle detektivku bych se skoro nebála nazvat srágorou. Kniha je sice poměrně napínává, ale pasáže řešící vzájemná vzplanutí postav byly skoro nesnesitelné. Jo a jsem strašně špatný hádač vrahů, nikdy se mi to nepovede, fakt nikdy. Ale tady se mi to povedlo už v polovině knihy.
Irs
Pues para ser novela negra me ha parecido de lo más mediocre, y por mucho que se resuelva el caso al final, quedan demasiadas preguntas sin resolver. Es como si la autora hubiera tenido prisa por acabarlo lo antes posible dejando todos los cabos sueltos.
Víctor Arturo Mercado Fernández

Es la primera novela de esta autora que leo y me ha parecido muy interesante, incluso más de lo que en realidad esperaba. Cuenta con bastantes personajes y abundantes diálogos que marcan giros imprevistos que mantienen al lector sin poder soltar el libro.

Al parecer es común en la mayoría de los autores nórdicos el mezclar sentimientos con la narración del diario acontecer de los personajes y el desarrollo de la trama, lo que le brinda un toque mágico a la novela. La autora hace uso de esa "técni

Stacy Cook
Great little mystery. Though I was pretty sure I knew who did it about 3/4's of the way through I didn't know all the reasoning behind it. I am looking forward to reading her next book.
Reinaldo Lourenço
Mais um policial sueco bastante agradável de seguir, bem estruturado.
Um ponto positivo é o fato d a autora nao se perder em descrições exaustivas, pelo q a sua leitura se torna mais fácil.
Deb
This Swedish mystery takes place on the island of Gotland. A woman and her dog are murdered in the early morning while jogging on a foggy beach. The island has never had such a gruesome murder before and complications arise when Stockholm TV journalists arrive to cover the story. Police and journalists clash over giving too much murder details to the public. Another murder of a local woman happens in the same manner as the first woman but with a different weapon. It is believed that they have a ...more
Danuta
I like Scandinavian detective stories. So far I only read the ones written by men. This one written by a woman is different. The murders are gruesome but the story is told in a gentler way, with a lot of 'girly' staff and female point of view. It highlights the problem of school bullying, nature versus nurture and make us wonder if murderer is born or made. Honestly, I wanted to rate it with 2 stars only, but since this is her debut novel she get the benefit of my doubt with an extra star. I def ...more
Xulieta NeveraDeLibros
Gotland, una pequeña isla de Suecia con apenas crímenes se ve sorprendida una mañana cuando un hombre encuentra el cadaver de una mujer en la playa.

En ese mismo momento entran en acción el comisario Knutas y su equipo por un lado, mientras que por el otro un reportero, Johan, es mandado desde la capital para que averigue todo lo posible para el canal de televisión en el que trabaja.

La historia está contada en tercera persona y cuenta con numerosos personajes y bastantes diálogos.
Por un lado tene
The Writer
I know that I should absolutely not judge a book by its cover but this book is practically screaming at me from the library shelves, begging me to take it home when I was there a couple of days ago.

With the orange-coloured cover picturing sandy beach and gorgeous sunset, the book seems trying to present a huge constrast with the spooky title that actually means "That thing that you don't see". You know: Calm beach, spooky title. It's like a new age horror or something.

But I was wrong. Just a sli
harryknuckles
Mari Jungstedt is big news and extremely successful in Sweden. Now her books have been translated for the UK market. All books feature Inspector Anders Knutas, who is a straight forward ambitious detective, and reporter Johan Berg who I found a much more complex, interesting character.

The first novel by any writer must be the hardest. I felt that Mari Jungstedt was feeling her way with this work. However, I did a get a real sense of place, there are definite opportunities for character and relat
Olga Zbranek Biernátová
Švédský ostrov Gotland je vcelku poklidné místo, turisty vyhledávaná destinace, kraj provoněný solí a zamořeným beruškami. Místní policejní oddělení sídlí v ošklivé budově bez klimatizace a má jen 12 členů. Málokdy se tu něco děje. A pak se něco pokazí. Na jedné pláži u Fröjelu je nalezena mrtvá žena. Nahá, zabitá sekyrou s vlastními kalhotkami nacpanými v ústech. A v horkém létě nebude (a není) první obětí. Komisař Anders Knutas [Andrš Knýtas] tuší, že najít vraha nebude jednoduché, je totiž té ...more
Valeriane
Petit voyage vers les contrées nordiques. Ce polar made in Suède nous propose un nouveau commissaire, Anders Knutas, que l'on va certainement retrouver dans d'autres enquêtes.

Résumé :

Après s'être disputée avec son compagnon lors d'une fête dans leur maison de campagne, Helena Hillerström sort promener son chien le long de la plage. Bientôt, cernée par un épais brouillard, elle sent qu'on la suit. Quelques heures plus tard, elle est retrouvée morte, tuée à coups de hache. Frida Lindh, une jeune
Bartek
Leniwe przedwakacyjne dni na Gotlandii.
Ma miejsce brutalne morderstwo kobiety. Potem drugiej... Sezon turystyczny jest zagrożony! Na wyspę jadą dziennikarze (na przykład: odpowiedzialny, choć ciekawski Johan), którzy są utrapieniem dla policji (np. inspektora Knutasa, starego wygi, mającego niewielkie doświadczenie w sprawach morderstw, tym bardziej seryjnych).
Oczywiście: korzenie zbrodni tkwią w przeszłości. Autorka pokazuje, że to, co dla jednych było nieistotne, innym zniszczyło życie. Nie k
Karen
I got confused which is nothing, absolutely nothing, new. But one night, for some reason, I plucked THE INNER CIRCLE by Mari Jungstedt from the stacks, and started reading. Then I got quite convinced I'd already read the book. So I went to check and found UNSEEN, which I then re-read, ending up very struck by the similarities between the two plots. Which got me wondering if there were similarities in all of them, and as I had a number of the books to hand, I thought I'd read them in order and se ...more
Scandinavian Crim...: Review of Unseen by Mari Jungstedt 2 36 Nov 23, 2013 06:59PM
  • Missing
  • The Demon of Dakar (Ann Lindell, #7)
  • Detective Inspector Huss (Inspector Huss #1)
  • Sun and Shadow (Inspector Winter, #3)
  • Between Summer's Longing and Winter's End (The Fall of the Welfare State, #1)
  • The Blood Spilt (Rebecka Martinsson, #2)
  • The Fourth Man
  • Frozen Moment (Christian Tell, #1)
  • Studio sex (Annika Bengtzon, #1)
  • Spring Tide
  • Misterioso (A-gruppen, #1)
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • Echoes from the Dead (The Öland Quartet #1)
  • Frozen Assets (Officer Gunnhilder, #1)
Mari Jungstedt is a Swedish journalist and popular crime fiction author.

Jungstedt worked as a reporter on Swedish national public radio and television, and was an occasional presenter on TV4's daily talk show Förkväll.

Her first three novels are set on the island of Gotland and feature Detective Superintendent Anders Knutas and the journalist Johan Berg. Two of her novels were filmed for Swedish TV
More about Mari Jungstedt...

Anders Knutas (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2)
  • The Inner Circle (Anders Knutas, #3)
  • Killer's Art (Anders Knutas, #4)
  • Dead of Summer (Anders Knutas, #5)
  • Den mörka ängeln (Anders Knutas, #6)
  • Den dubbla tystnaden (Anders Knutas, #7)
  • Den farliga leken (Anders Knutas, #8)
  • Det fjärde offret (Anders Knutas, #9)
  • Den sista akten (Anders Knutas, #10)
  • Du går inte ensam (Anders Knutas, #11)
Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2) The Inner Circle (Anders Knutas, #3) Dead of Summer (Anders Knutas, #5) Killer's Art (Anders Knutas, #4) Den mörka ängeln (Anders Knutas, #6)