Globalization: A Very Short Introduction

Globalization: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions #86)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Globalization has become one of the defining buzzwords of our time--a term that describes a variety of complex economic, political, cultural, ideological, and environmental forces that are rapidly altering our experience of the world. In the years since World War II, we have seen national boundaries fade as financial markets, manufacturing concerns, information services, a...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Globalization, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Globalization

Brian H
Manfred B. Steger’s “Globalization: A Very Short Introduction” deals with the growing connection through government, media, economics and all sorts of things across the world. It examines the increasing communications and technology that help us spread ideas across the globe, for better, and sometimes, for worse. This is a repeating pattern throughout history. Civilizations connect and improve with influence from the outside, and with modern technology, globalization surrounds us completely in...more
Severely disappointing. For a book meant to be an introduction to globalization, Steger sure loves putting his own thoughts and opinions alongside the actual facts. It really loses direction in the last two chapters and never recovers. Steger's arrogant tone makes it hard to want to read anything else by him. The fact that he includes one of his own books in the reference section really rubs me the wrong way. Not so much a very short introduction as a very short diatribe.
Laurie
To me, the person charged with introducing a topic should have to present an unbiased view of the whole situations. Steger is overwhelming negative, and while he makes valid arguments, it just rubbed me so wrong that he was giving people's first view of globalization a really negative one. Not terrible though, because he does also outline what globalization is all about, so I suppose in a biased way, he achieved the aims of the book.
Angie
Why are people giving this book a good rating? It's horrible. Steger is bland, and a few of his ideas are ludicrous. Useless introduction to globalization. Imagine....did you know that globalization is a global phenomenon!?

If not, then yeah, this book is for you.
Selena
Very short introduction into globalization. I enjoyed the story of the elephant and the blind scholars. I had heard the story before, but it fits the definition. . .
Mary Cebalt
horrible author... completely incoherent
Cyndi
I liked this book because in 132 pages I was able to clearly understand more about globalization and the forces that propel or thwart globalization. The author is definitely egalitarian and his bias comes through in several places. That aside, he quickly takes the reader through the beginning of the world and shows how advancements such as the invention of the wheel and language increased interaction between people and fostered trade. Steger does differentiate between Globalization (a set of soc...more
Brian
Manfred Steger provides a different look at Globalization in the Very Short Introduction series by Oxford University Press. This series provides a quick overview of topics and addresses their veracity as a theory and provides a critical eye towards the controversies in each topic. I will say that I was disappointed in this particular entry into the series which seemed to be far more critical towards globalization and spent more time on the flaws than addressing a fair and balanced look at the se...more
Erwin
Short History of Globalization

Interesting idea. Misses the mark - by far.

Feel like the author must be a liberal university professor, writing to an audience of university professors, who will nod in agreement to each assertion while buzzing through a "very short introduction" to globalization, without actually introducing globalization to those that don't already understand.

The author frequently criticizes the "Washington Consensus", but doesn't get outside the box and ask the difficult, indepen...more
sdw
Manfred B. Steger’s Globalization: A Very Short Introduction provides a nuanced description on how scholars understand the term globalization, the scholarly debates over globalization, and the competing ideologies of globalization. I picked this book up in hopes that I could find a text that would work well in a literature class. There are many novels that engage with the concept of globalization from a variety of angles, and it is hard to have that conversation when the students have a very fla...more
Path Kittinat
ได้ยินคำว่าโลกาภิวัตน์มานานหลายปีมาก ตั้งแต่สมัยท่านนายก rectangular ยังครองตำแหน่งอยู่นู้นละมั้ง ตอนนั้นก็คิดว่าพอเข้าใจอยู่บ้าง แต่พอมาได้อ่านหนังสือเล่มเล็กๆเล่มนี้ก็ผมว่า ไอ้ที่เท่าใจนั้นมันแค่ผิวเท่านั้นเอง
หนังสือเล่มนี้อาจจะเล็ก แต่เนื้อหนังนั้นแน่นปั้ก อธิบายให้เห็นว่าโลกาภิวัตน์นั้น มีแง่มุมที่มากมายหลากหลายและสัมพันธ์จนแทบแยกไม่ออก สังคม การเมือง วัฒนธรรม ไล่ย้อนไปถึงยุคแรกของเผ่ามนุษย์
ทั้งหมดนี้ต้องยกความดีความชอบให้กับผู้เขียน และโดยเฉพาะผู้แปล คุณ วรพจน์ วงศ์กิจรุ่งเรือง ที่แปลออกมา...more
jzthompson
Clear explanation of the nature and history of globalization, the challenges and opportunities it presents and the various reactions to it from the liberal-left, the socialist-left and the conservative-right. Less positively: the section describing the alternative 'social justice' form of globalization just depressed me. If Occupy bloody London are our best hope for a brighter tomorrow we really are ****ed.
Timothy Phin
An elegant and inclusive brief study of a highly complicated phenomenon. The strength of the book rests on Steger's comprehensive knowledge of the ideologies of what he calls the 'global imaginary'. A really, really excellent part of the Very Short Introductions series.
Stephen
Globalization: A Very Short Introduction is a concise introduction to a very complex topic. It's by no means the definitive source on globalization, but it doesn't attempt to be. In my opinion, one of its strengths is the fact that Ritzer critically analyzes different perspectives while clearly stating his own. This, I think, makes the book much more interesting but doesn't lead readers to automatically assume that his perspective is the right one. Another strength is its recommendations for fur...more
غسان
A lot of information for such a small book. It seems that globalization is moving in the direction of increasing the social differences and unjust wealth distribution.
I didn't like about the book the way of writing which was not easy and full of new terminologies. The author didn't take about solution scenarios to adjust the unbalance made by globalization.
Hariyono
an interesting literature to study globalization. Steger presents globalization simply and talk some aspect of it which makes reader understand it clearly. a comprehensive explanations is given in each section which makes this books much more interesting to read for a global studies or international relations student
Tiff
I like this book because the author has spent time in the Pacific (on HI) and he mentions how globalization impacts the Pacific Islands. Most books on globalization doesn't even mention the Pacific and it's islands and people.

I'm still reading though so I can't give it a rating.
Camden Goetz
Can be a bit biased and subtly messed-up at times, but tries to give a balanced approach. Definitely comes from more of a anti-colonial liberal viewpoint, could use more radical and realist opinions. Great empirical info, and somewhat accessible overall.
Alex
I read this for a capstone course in Global Studies. It was interesting in some regards, but even for a short introduction, it could get boring really easily. There are better ways to present interesting information about the topic of globalization.
Hillary
"...a social condition characterized by tight global economic, political, cultural, and environmental interconnections and flows that make most of the currently existing borders and boundaries irrelevant".
Magda
The ancient Buddhist parable of the blind scholars and their encounters with the elephant helps to illustrate the nature of the academic controversy over the various dimensions of globalization.
Niccole
I was looking for something to fill in some of the gaps after attending a class about globalization and health care. This fit the bill just fine. Informative and thought provoking.
Anne
Accessible book on globalization providing varied viewpoints. So accessible, have ordered a class set for my year 12 students studying navigating the global.
Tentsie
As the title says: a very short introduction. Easy to read, it gave me a pretty good basic understanding to further direct my study.
Aditya Khanna
An easy to understand, yet thorough account, with good examples. It was a 'good read'.
Gleodream
I'm part of the faculty learning community on globalization this year.
Rachel
very short but great for my assignment, simple and easy to understand
Tanya
This is pure amazing academics.
DoctorM
Very good, clear intro to the issue.
  • Political Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction
  • Politics: A Very Short Introduction
  • Linguistics: A Very Short Introduction
  • African History: A Very Short Introduction
  • Fascism: A Very Short Introduction
Manfred B. Steger is Professor of Global Studies and Director of the Globalism Research Centre at RMIT University in Australia. Steger's research and teaching spans globalization, ideology, and non-violence.

Steger's won the 2003 Michael Harrington Award with his study on Globalism: The New Market Ideology.
More about Manfred B. Steger...
Neoliberalism: A Very Short Introduction Globalism: The New Market Ideology Globalisms: The Great Ideological Struggle of the Twenty-First Century Grassroots Zen The Rise of the Global Imaginary: Political Ideologies from the French Revolution to the Global War on Terror