Start by marking “The Paradise Mystery ” as Want to Read:
The Paradise Mystery

The Paradise Mystery

Joseph Smith Fletcher (1863-1935) was a British journalist and writer. He wrote about 200 books on a wide variety of subjects, both fiction and non-fiction. He was one of the leading writers of detective fiction in the "Golden Age." An early book was the 1909 collection, The Adventures of Archer Dawe. His other works include: Andrewlina (1889), The Winding Way (1890), The ...more
Published November 16th 2007 by Dodo Press (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about The Paradise Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paradise Mystery

Carol ♛ Type, Oh Queen! ♛
3.5

But, it came very close to 4 as it was a well written story in many ways with lots of twists & turns.

What I didn't like;

Dr Ransford talking to himself at the beginning to show his feelings

Some pages could have done with a bit of pruning

Above all, I don't think Fletcher played fair with the reader. There was no way I could have guessed the solution to the mystery.

But (& even with spoiler tags, gentle reader, I can't tell you why!) what I loved was the character of Boyce! The way t
Susan
Apr 22, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read anything by J.S. Fletcher before this was chosen by a book group I belong to, and, as it is a very early mystery – even by Golden Age standards – first published in 1921, I was worried that I would find it very dated. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how good this was and, actually, how relevant the themes are – not only for then, but also for now – with love, greed and revenge raising their heads.

The ‘paradise’ of the title refers to a piece of land near Wrychester Cathe
Monica
Nov 26, 2013 Monica rated it really liked it
Fletcher certainly knows how to spin a good mystery. Written in 1921 this mystery is of course dated, but that is part of the charm and reading delight of this book. A wonderful intricate plot that at times had me taking a step back so that I could take a few minutes to tie the strings together. Absolutely no way to be my own detective in solving the deaths that happen and yet the wrapping up in the final pages is all based on a solid story. A shocking ending that I never saw coming, likeable an ...more
Marts  (Thinker)
Oct 22, 2012 Marts (Thinker) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2012-reads
A rather interesting and quite complex classic mystery encompassing a murder which occurs in a quiet cathedral town and involving a myriad of characters all of which keep the reader quite puzzled throughout...
Damaskcat
May 24, 2016 Damaskcat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A man falls to his death in a cathedral - did he fall or was he pushed? The inquest records a verdict of death by misadventure but more than one person is dubious about the death. Dr Pemberton Bryce has just been sacked by his employer Dr Mark Ransford and he has his suspicions about whether or not his former employer was involved in the death. He sets out to investigate the case for his own reasons as he wants to marry his erstwhile employer's ward - Mary - who wants nothing to do with him.

The
Julia
Jun 18, 2016 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my second book by J.S.Fletcher, and I will definitely be reading more. There's a man flung from the top of a cathedral, then another murder (supposedly to cover up the first one), lots of behind the scenes investigation into burial and marriage records, questionable parentage, questionable motives, changed names, poisonings, twists and turns galore. Quite an exciting mystery.
John
Nov 16, 2013 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another provincial town story set in a cathedral close much beloved of English crime writers of the period and their readers alike.

An unusual story with no particular detective or main protagonist. This seemed a bit strange but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

I would have given it four stars if there hadn't been some quite key elements of the story left glaringly unexplained. To detail these would go a long way to giving the game away.

I think J.S. Fletcher is sadly neglected these days especially as h
Kathy
Jun 27, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Secret longings for a character you may despise while reading this book, no matter how artfully devious he may be, to meet with his own reward eventuates. When does that happen? This was just my second Fletcher mystery and he did not show quite as much humor, but it broke out now and then when describing certain characters. I shall keep reading his mystery books since I downloaded quite a few from Amazon, all free. Great reading!
Elaine
audio Librivox
Someone dies. Murder? Someone knew too much so he gets bumped off. All signs seem to point to the doctor.
Leslie
3.5*
(view spoiler)

I found this a fun quick read and will read more by this author.
Jill
May 12, 2016 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the story. Found that some of the information was inserted rather late , as an afterthought maybe. Will definitely read more of this author
Jenny
Mar 09, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fletcher-j-s
Another excellent page turner.
Samantha Glasser
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/5308/5...
Diane
A different twist on the usual amateur detective.
Yibbie
Oct 23, 2015 Yibbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, mysteries
What a puzzler! It's fast moving, have a multitude of twists, and a really good solution. The perfect book for a long trip.
Joan Thompson
Mar 14, 2011 Joan Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another detective book written by JS Fletcher. I didnt feel this was as good as the others of his that I have read. the plot and mystery developed well but deflated very quickly in the last few pages. It was as if he didnt know how to end it.
Dahlia
Jan 20, 2009 Dahlia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not care for this book. I like turn of the century romances. But I guess I don't like turn of the century forensics!
Jack
Mar 31, 2013 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complex 1920s mystery with lots of twists and turns
Sprite1989
Sprite1989 marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Daniele
Daniele marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Sue Harris
Sue Harris rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Stacie Rogers Drake
Stacie Rogers Drake marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
eileen
eileen rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2016
grace
grace rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Kajehas
Kajehas rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Geralyn
Geralyn marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Henry Finn
Henry Finn marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Deborah S. Witwer
Deborah S. Witwer marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Reading the Detec...: May 2016 - The Paradise Mystery by J.S. Fletcher 25 27 May 23, 2016 10:40PM
  • The Abandoned Room
  • The Mystery of 31 New Inn
  • The Scarab Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #5)
  • A Strange Disappearance
  • The Clue of the Twisted Candle
  • The Yellow Claw (Gaston Max, #1)
  • The HiT Series - Box Set
  • Cold Crossover (Ernie Creekmore)
  • The Dead Alive
  • The Agony Column
  • Soho Slasher: Jack Is Back: A Harbinger Crossover Novel to International Hunters, Inc.
  • Aleutian Grave
  • Bubble Screen (Burnside Series # 3)
  • Gone But Not Goodbye (Nathan Miccoli #2)
  • The Rustlers of Pecos County
  • Dialogues of a Crime
  • Henry Wood Edge of Understanding (Henry Wood Detective, #4)
  • The Dangerous Thaw of Etta Capstone
1462007
Joseph Smith Fletcher was a British journalist, writer, and fellow of the Royal Historical Society. He studied law before turning to journalism.

His literary career spanned approximately 200 books on a wide variety of subjects including fiction, non-fiction, histories, historical fiction, and mysteries. He was known as one of the leading writers of detective fiction in the Golden Age .
More about J.S. Fletcher...

“contrary," answered Bryce, "the hand” 0 likes