Start by marking “The Power of Words and the Wonder of God” as Want to Read:
The Power of Words and the Wonder of God

The Power of Words and the Wonder of God

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  165 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Words carry immeasurable significance: The universe was created with a word; Jesus healed and cast out demons with a word; rulers have risen and fallen by their words; Christians have worshiped through words of song, confession, and preaching. Even in our technological age, politics, education, business, and relationships center on words.

Since the tongue is such a powerful
Published September 2nd 2009 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Words and the Wonder of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Words and the Wonder of God

Amy
Mar 28, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
This is an excellent study on the power of words! Each chapter is written by a different author and they each cover a different aspect of this subject.

"What you say always produces some kind of harvest. What is the lasting legacy of your words?" ~ Paul David Tripp
Philip Worrall
Oct 23, 2014 Philip Worrall rated it it was ok
Paul Tripp's essay and John Pipers were definitely the best ones within this book. I have a lot of respect for guys like Ferguson and the others, yet they are not really great in my opinion as writers. I'm not talking poetically writing, I mean taking a subject and concisely putting it in a way engaging an audience in a journey of learning. Their content is good, but they did not do a good job of changing up the tone from a speech to written form. Yet, I think it is a great book for many of us t ...more
Adam B.R. Clarke
Mar 30, 2010 Adam B.R. Clarke rated it it was amazing
This edited work by John Piper and Justin Taylor is a must read for any church leader.

There are seven other contributors to this work and it does just as the title suggests - it informs us that words are powerful and they can be used or abused. I never fully understood how much of an influence my voice had until I started to lead and minister to youth, and this was a wonderful example of how to best use this influence in my ministry.

The first entry is about actively making decisions that put you
Andrea
Oct 20, 2014 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing conference to attend!
Randy Alcorn
Given the contributors, I expected this book to be good, but it exceeds expectations. There’s no weak link. Every chapter, including the introduction, brings a unique and vital perspective to a critical subject. It’s impossible to overstate the power and eternal impact of our spoken and written words, for good or evil. With stylistic diversity but thematic unity, these men bring a rich, biblical, Christ-centered, interesting and immensely helpful perspective. I wholeheartedly recommend The Power ...more
Mark A Powell
Dec 30, 2013 Mark A Powell rated it liked it
This book (the transcript of the 2008 Desiring God conference) deals with the role, importance, and usage of words. Exploring the connection between language and the Lordship of Christ is much-needed. The contributors here took some good jabs but couldn’t quite connect on the knockout punch. Each chapter seemed too distant from the others, almost as if the topic was too broad and nebulous to get a bead on. It’s solid, but well short of exceptional.
CJ
Aug 14, 2010 CJ rated it really liked it
An interesting collection of thoughts of Christian leaders on a subject not often talked about - Words. The meaning, morality and messages of our everyday words. The most interesting for me is Daniel Taylor's ideas that we are story shaped creatures, that we need a story to engage our whole being not just our minds.
Josh
Very helpful. Great encouragements, and advice for anyone teaching in any capacity in the Church. Very multi-faceted treatment of the role of words in the world, and in the Church. I was surprised how full of treasure the "conversations with the contributors" were at the end - make sure you don't skip these.
Stephen Willcox
Nov 19, 2012 Stephen Willcox rated it really liked it
These are transcript sermons. Driscoll's and Piper's chapters are fantastic!
Emily Cook
Aug 12, 2012 Emily Cook rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Great read for writers who want to use their gift to serve the church.
Joe Valenti
Sep 02, 2013 Joe Valenti rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
This is on of the best books I have read in a long time. Highly recommended.
Aaron Carlberg
What can I say, such great preachers...read the book.
Fayth Chua  蔡俐葶
Sep 30, 2013 Fayth Chua 蔡俐葶 rated it really liked it
Really liked this book. 'nough said.
Michael
Jul 17, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
Great and OK.
Evan Weeks
Evan Weeks rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Linore
Linore is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2016
Andrew Williams
Andrew Williams rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Grady Dalzell
Grady Dalzell marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Matt
Matt added it
Jan 22, 2016
Alan Yau
Alan Yau marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Tyler Gordon
Tyler Gordon marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Teresa Banks
Teresa Banks marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Bob Ducharme
Bob Ducharme marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Daniel Poe
Daniel Poe rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Jasmine
Jasmine is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2016
Joe Caddy
Joe Caddy rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
  • Lit!: A Christian Guide to Reading Books
  • Faithmapping: A Gospel Atlas for Your Spiritual Journey
  • God's Love: How the Infinite God Cares for His Children
  • The Message of the Old Testament: Promises Made
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • Not by Sight: A Fresh Look at Old Stories of Walking by Faith
  • The Skeptical Student
  • The Cross-Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing
  • Portrait of Calvin
  • The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God
  • Sermon on the Mount
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
  • Vintage Church: Timeless Truths and Timely Methods
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe
More about John Piper...

“Sanctification in any area of our lives always expresses this double dimension—a putting off and a putting on, as it were. Speech and silence, appropriately expressed, are together the mark of the mature.3” 0 likes
“A fool’s tongue,” Bruce Waltke wryly notes, “is long enough to cut his own throat.”4” 0 likes