Start by marking “Hidden History” as Want to Read:
Hidden History

Hidden History

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Hidden History fills the gap between archaeology and alternative history, using the latest available data and a common-sense, open-minded approach. With more than 50 photographs and illustrations, this is the ideal reference work for those readers interested in the archaeology of these great conundrums.
Published January 15th 2007 by New Page Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden History

Pasteurisiert
Pasteurisiert mit 4 von 5 Sternen – Umfangreiche, neutrale Zusammenstellung der Mysterien unserer Welt.

Wäre Brian Haughton auch einer von diesen Spinnern, die für alle rätselhaften Bauwerke dieser Welt gleich UFO-Theorien heranziehen, dann hätte ich das Buch nie gekauft. Brian erzählt sehr sachlich über Orte (z.B. Stonehenge, Petra, Osterinseln, Machu Picchu) , Artefakte (z.B. Nazca-Linien, Karte des Piri Reis, Grabtuch von Turin) und Personen (z.B. Robin Hood, Ötzi, Königin von Saba, König Artu
I thought this was going to be a conspiracy book, full of ideas about ETs landing in ancient Egypt and then flying to England to draw giant men in the fields. But it wasn't. It did talk about those things, but then he clearly pointed out what evidence, or lack of evidence there is for such things. He also gave a great, concise history about some of Earth's neatest things: the search for Atlantis, Noah's Ark. Stonehenge, Avebury, Eldorado, Troy, the Pyramids. He also talks about mysterious people ...more
Shane
This book was quite interesting, although, like any book of smaller articles, the interesting level varied. I learned new info on several subjects I'd already had some interest in, including Troy, Petra, the Sphinx, and the Shroud of Turin. I also learned about several things I'd never even heard of before, like the "Baghdad Battery", a possible 2000 year old electric battery, and the "Voynich Manuscript", a 200+ page book in a completely uncipherable language. Weird.
Perhaps this shouldn't even
Sesana
Really, this is like any "weird stuff" compilation. The focus, though, is on historical mysteries. Mostly real ones, not manufactured ones. I can't tell you what a relief it is to read a book like this that doesn't mention the Bermuda Triangle. It's also a relief to read a book like this that isn't entirely enamored of woo-woo explanations. Reality is usually far more interesting. I spotted a couple of places where the author was a bit too incredulous, but in the field of weird stuff books, that ...more
Ami
I really enjoyed this book, and learned a lot of interesting things. A very quick read, while covering several different places, things, and people. If you are interested in learning about ancient mysteries and civilizations, you should read this book. The author does a nice job of staying ( mostly) unbiased, just giving us what facts, stories and theories are attached to each mystery.
Inara
Clear and brief summarization of mysteries all over the world. To learn more you will have to do your own research with further publications listed in the appendix of this book. For me it was just a bit too brief and told me nothing I didn´t already know or read in more detail in other books.
Michele
I am not a huge history buff, but I enjoyed this because it involved art and mysteries in the ancient civilizations. I will definitely read this again at a later date so I can process and remember all the interesting facts.
Richie
Quick read; 5-10pp survey of current information about pretty much every historical "mystery" you can think of. The author lets you draw your own conclusions instead of being heavy handed with the evidence either way.
Sunny
Ich hatte dieses Buch ja für ein Schulprojekt gelesen, und ich muss sagen es war wirklich interessant.
Crystal-lee-m
Brief, but interesting descriptions of many mysteries and histories. A book that makes you want to do some research.
Aleksandra
I read the version in my home language, it was quite interesting and a fun thing to read.
Olenka Solenka
Olenka Solenka is currently reading it
Dec 22, 2014
Saroya
Saroya marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Kerry Harding
Kerry Harding is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2014
مي
مي marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Liberty
Liberty is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
  • Ancient Mysteries
  • Finding Atlantis: A True Story of Genius, Madness, and an Extraordinary Quest for a Lost World
  • The Lost Civilization Enigma: A New Inquiry into the Existence of Ancient Cities, Cultures, and Peoples Who Pre-Date Recorded History
  • The Egypt Code
  • The Complete Pompeii
  • Forbidden History: Prehistoric Technologies, Extraterrestrial Intervention, and the Suppressed Origins of Civilization
  • The Sirius Mystery: New Scientific Evidence of Alien Contact 5,000 Years Ago
  • Technology of the Gods: The Incredible Sciences of the Ancients
  • Perdurabo, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Life of Aleister Crowley
  • Twilight of the Gods: The Mayan Calendar and the Return of the Extraterrestrials
  • Uriel's Machine
  • There Were Giants Upon the Earth: Gods, Demigods & Human Ancestry: The Evidence of Alien DNA (Earth Chronicles)
  • Heaven's Mirror: Quest for the Lost Civilization
  • When the Sky Fell: In Search of Atlantis
  • From Atlantis to the Sphinx
  • Corpses, Coffins, and Crypts: A History of Burial
  • Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA
  • From the Ashes of Angels: The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race
History's Mysteries: People, Places, and Oddities Lost in the Sands of Time Lore of the Ghost: The Origins of the Most Famous Ghost Stories Throughout the World Handbook of Paranormal Powers: Discover the Secrets of Mind Readers, Mediums, and More! Ancient Treasures: The Discovery of Lost Hoards, Sunken Ships, Buried Vaults, and Other Long-Forgotten Artifacts Encyclopedia of Paranormal Powers: Discover the Secrets of Mind Readers, Mediums and More. Brian Haughton