Start by marking “A History of the English Language (Modern Scholar)” as Want to Read:
A History of the English Language (Modern Scholar)

A History of the English Language (Modern Scholar)

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  180 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Professor Drout addresses the foundation of language and its connection to specific portions of the brain. The components of language are explained in easy-to-understand terms and the progression of the language from Germanic to Old, Middle, and Modern English is fully illustrated—including such revolutionary language upheavals as those brought about by the Norman Conquest ...more
Audiobook
Published 2007 by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about A History of the English Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of the English Language

Alex
Jun 12, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it
The first half is slow, but it sets up everything to follow as to how the English Language evolved. The last half of the lecture series pushed all my philological etymology buttons, walking us through the changes from Proto-Indo-European to Olde English to Middle English to Modern English. Lecture 13 follows regional variations in accents as well as names and phrases (the simplest of which is Soda vs. Pop vs. Coke). All this culminates in the thesis statement of how the common perception of disp ...more
Brian Eshleman
May 14, 2014 Brian Eshleman rated it it was ok
This particular lecture series was a significant disappointment. Although the instructor said that an understanding of the development of language in general was going to enhance our understanding of the development of English, I got more of a sense that Modern Scholars said his information on English was too scanty and that he should increase it by about 50% by any means necessary – including a bunch of technical details on language that no self-respecting history major would really enjoy.

Even
Chuck
Sep 26, 2012 Chuck rated it it was amazing
Michael D C Drout's "A History of the English Language" is a wide ranging set of 14 lectures, each 30 minutes in length. He covers topics from how children and adults learn languages, how languages are spoken and constructed, through how languages in general and English evolved. Drout manages to make what could be a "sleep aid" into an interesting study.

I consider myself very fortunate that the local library carries many of the Modern Scholar and Great Course lecture series. They are particularl
David Everling
Dec 12, 2010 David Everling rated it really liked it
Shelves: thought
More interesting than it sounds and the first half is a pretty good introduction to linguistics in general. The second half is the specific history of English, and one of the more interested parts of that half was the dialectic analysis toward the end (including topics like the "pop" vs. "soda" debate). Prof. Drout mentions that modern U.K. dialects have evolved more rapidly since the 1700s than American Standard English, meaning Shakespeare probably had an accent closer to the ways some America ...more
Thomas
Still just as entertaining and enlightening as the first time I listened to these lectures.
Anne Hawn Smith
Dare I admit that two of my favorite books are on Linguistics and Advanced Grammar? I have to confess, I love this book as well as another book by Professor Drout: Understanding Grammar for Powerful Communication (The Modern Scholar: Way with Words, Vol. 3) These books are absolutely fascinating and I could listen to them over and over, there is so much information in them. Professor Drout takes what could be a boring subject and turns it into something humorous and interesting.

This isn't the st
Edwin B
Jul 10, 2011 Edwin B rated it liked it
From its origin as the language of Germanic forest dwellers a thousand years BC; to the infusion of Latin from the Roman expansion; to the bit of Celtic influence from the migration of the Germanic tribes of Angles, Saxons and Jutes to the English isle; to the impact of the Viking occupation; to the influx of French words from the Norman conquest; to the great vowel shift that now differentiates Chaucer from modern English; to today's continuing evolution of English as the global language, and i ...more
Brandon Wilde
Jan 04, 2016 Brandon Wilde rated it it was amazing
Although some may not have appreciated the format and all the material Dr. Drout chose to cover, it was perfect for me. The first half of the lecture series taught some basics of linguistics: language development, structure, and evolution; the second half included an overview of English's history and then a look up close at each period of that history. I found the lectures really interesting and easily understandable for someone initially unfamiliar with the subject.
Brad Mclaws
Sep 29, 2014 Brad Mclaws rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Pretty interesting really. It is a mixture of linquistics and history of England.
Brad
Dec 07, 2010 Brad rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
This is the third such Modern Scholar lecture I've listened to by Dr. Drout. He is a great teacher who is funny and engaging and down-to-earth. I would recommend this lecture but it was probably my least favorite of the three (rhetoric and grammar were the other two I have listened to). Perhaps I feel the way I feel about it because it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I was expected more of a straight up history course. The first roughly half of this was focused on the basics of linguistics ...more
Cat.
Jun 24, 2013 Cat. rated it it was amazing
This is a Modern Scholar course, one of the many released by Recorded Books. This one was excellent. The instructor was interesting to listen to, and kept things moving along, even in the bits where he was trying to explain grammatical rules and phonetics. He begins with basic information about languages in general, and eventually ends up discussing English as it stands today: no longer the language of a small island off Europe, but the lingua franca (ironically) of the world.

Only a geek would c
Shelves: 2015
3 1/2 stars
Jackie
Jun 22, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it
History of the English language does not separate from history of people. I never learned much of history of countries outside of Holland or the USA, so this was enlightening. Also the review of linguistic terms helped me remember the good old college days. It felt as if the lecture was read, not spontaneous with student interaction, as the title suggests. If it is taught this way at college, it would not make points for having educational prowess, more expected in today's multi discipline acade ...more
Dr. Andrew Higgins
Jun 28, 2011 Dr. Andrew Higgins rated it it was amazing
This is a must listen to series for anyone interested in linguistics and philology. Dr Drout conveys very complex liguistic ideas like Grimms and Verners Law and the Great Vowel Shift in an easy to understand way. I highly recommend you follow along with the course book which you can download from the Modern Scholar's website. I plan to listen to all of Professor Drout's lectures on the Modern Scholar Series they are very good and its the next best thing to being in the class room with him!

Simone
May 26, 2015 Simone rated it really liked it
Great lectures, great book, with a lot of extra material. I really appreciated the course, and was able to brush up on what I knew and learn new things, while having fun listening to a lively, interesting professor.
J
Feb 22, 2011 J rated it really liked it
i really enjoyed this. the first half was like my entire linguistics career, condensed to eight hours. seriously, i didn't learn a whole lot else in my major. and in some cases a lot less; my sytnax teacher was crap. but it helped me to remember some things i love about linguistics. and then i get to learn all about, well, the history of the english language, which is pretty dang interesting.
Elizabeth
Oct 26, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Hapax legomena - "...words that appear only one time in the written corpus of a language" - great name for a dog. (p. 38 of Course Guide)

Schwa - upside down "e" - mid-central vowel - as in "bosses" or "punted" = good name for a rock band. (p. 31 of Course Guide)

I thoroughly enjoyed this entertaining and educational course. I like Dr. Drout's reading and think he's very witty.
Moominboy
Oct 22, 2010 Moominboy rated it it was amazing
Brilliant audiobook/lecture! The author really knows how to capture the interest of the audience. Even the chapter on usually-boring phonology felt fascinating. It is packed with facts and at the same time easy to digest. And it's concise so you won't spend half of your lifetime listening to it.
Kirsti
Feb 02, 2013 Kirsti rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, language
Interesting lecture series that taught me the word metathesis, which means switching letters in a word. "Aks" for "ask" is common in many parts of the English-speaking world; in Jamaica, there's not only "aks" but also "deks" for "desk" and "flim" for "film."
Glenn
Jun 05, 2013 Glenn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
I really, really enjoyed this course, particularly how the changes in the English language were connected with the history of the people. I can "hear" so much more in the language around me now.
Pubkingsley
May 21, 2014 Pubkingsley rated it it was amazing
I've listened to three or four of Professor Drout's books and all of them have been just fascinating. I'd always wondered what a "fricative" is; now I know -- and more.
Elena Newton
Jul 28, 2013 Elena Newton rated it really liked it
Wishing I could rate things at 1/2 stars - this was very good, but not so much for entertainment value, from a learning standpoint.
Terri
Nov 01, 2012 Terri rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful and interesting series. Probably the most enjoyable and informative I have ever listened to.
William
Nov 12, 2010 William rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
An enjoyable audiobook; Drout lectures well, and his enthusiasm for his subject is unflagging.
Kristin
Aug 07, 2012 Kristin rated it it was amazing
This course hooked me on Michael Drout. He's so entertaining and informative.
Tom
Jan 05, 2013 Tom rated it it was amazing
Love all of Drout's Modern Scholar series. This is the best one.
Maja  (The Rambling Readerista)
some parts are extremely useful. easy style
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Rene Thompson
Rene Thompson marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Story of Human Language
  • Big History: The Big Bang, Life On Earth, And The Rise Of Humanity (Great Courses, #8050)
  • London: A Short History of the Greatest City in the Western World
  • The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World
  • The High Middle Ages
  • Nutrition Made Clear
  • The History Of Ancient Egypt (Great Courses, #350)
  • Mysteries of Modern Physics: Time
  • The Art of Reading (Great Courses, #2198)
  • Your Deceptive Mind: A Scientific Guide to Critical Thinking Skills
  • The Secret Life of Words: English Words and Their Origins
  • The Art Of Critical Decision Making (Great Courses, #5932)
  • Heroes and Legends: The most influential characters of literature
  • He Said, She Said (Exploring the Different Ways Men and Women Communicate)
  • The Science of Mindfulness: A Research-Based Path to Well-Being
  • Songs on Bronze
  • The Idea Hunter: How to Find the Best Ideas and Make Them Happen
  • History of the English Language (Great Courses, #2250)
Michael D.C. Drout is a Professor of English at Wheaton College.
More about Michael D.C. Drout...